Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII) Page 124

• You-can-call-me-kal 5 Feb 2019 11:32:04 15,759 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thereís some clear Ďechoingí in both VII and VIII but that doesnít make them remakes.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2019 13:08:36
    The next film will have a scene with trees and feature a lightsaber fight, thus making it a Return of the Jedi remake
  • Tonka 5 Feb 2019 13:18:02 29,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bet there will be a few of the following
    a new Death star analogue
    Some daring breakout from a crime lord
    Desperate planetside fight aided by a primitive new race
    Reconcilliation between that dude from girls and Rey
    Surprise new Jedi reveal
    Lens flares
  • the_milkybar_kid 5 Feb 2019 13:23:41 7,988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think its interesting how they parallel each other, but they're also opposites. One is one of the greatest films of all time, the other is a steaming piece of dog shit.

It's like poetry, they rhyme.
  • Tonka 5 Feb 2019 13:47:57 29,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    One is one of the greatest films of all time, the other is a steaming piece of dog shit.
    They're both perfectly average.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2019 14:05:53
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Thereís some clear Ďechoingí in both VII and VIII but that doesnít make them remakes.
    Echoing is undercooking it massively in respect of 7.

It's what JJ does.

I can barely remember 8. Dull.
  • JoeBlade 5 Feb 2019 20:59:17 4,372 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Remake is a stretch as well though.

I think Disney rather than Abrams made the very deliberate decision to play it extremely safe with TFA: tick all the boxes to entice long time fans but also make it flashy to draw the kids in, and don't try anything new.

Considering the fan outrage surrounding the prequels I would definitely understand if that were indeed true.
  • chopsen 5 Feb 2019 21:13:24 20,502 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Considering the fan outrage surrounding the prequels I would definitely understand if that were indeed true.
    There area a lot of people who were kids and grew up the prequel are now adults.

Kids are fucking idiots and will just love whatever you put in front of them, so there now a generation of adult nerds who actual rate the prequels because of nostalgia. And they're idiots.
  • challenge_hanukkah 5 Feb 2019 21:17:11 10,766 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vizzini preferred the prequels.

Says it all really.
  • Saul_Iscariot 6 Feb 2019 05:29:08 3,104 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal Thematically Star Wars has always had parallels in the films and trilogies. If you Google Star Wars Ring Theory it explains how it was the first film series to do this. As an art form it is more common in music and poetry.
  • b-rk 6 Feb 2019 05:43:11 926 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    where did the knife go
  • ChiefGB 6 Feb 2019 09:02:29 10,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had faith in jj, but the threads that rian left are just looking like exceptionally hard work to put together again. No one gives a shit about whoís left as he didnít give us much reason to.
    Now in fairness fishers passing canít really be pinned on anyone else, but he ripped almost everything apart.
    Fucked up poe, fucked up finn, fucked up hux (although he was a bellend to begin with), ditched snoke, didnít make up for phasma being underused in 7, fucked up luke.
    Rey and ren werenít bad and were looking like an
    interesting dynamic and then he just threw that away at the end, leaving them back on the standard path of wanting to destroy each other.

Only ones who came out of it ok were c3po, r2 and yoda.

At least jj had fun with it and injected great chemistry into things. Jeez he has a lot of work to do to wrap it all up and make something worthwhile, I just donít see a story there from whatís left.
  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2019 18:19:04 19,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In related news, it's been confirmed that the Game of Thrones producers are definitely working on a new trilogy. No mention of Rian Johnson's trilogy or any other spin-offs, so they been put on ice.
  • Tonka 11 Feb 2019 18:29:43 29,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Again? Send like they do that every second month or so.
  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2019 18:40:32 19,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There was the Disney shareholders meeting and the details of this were made public.

They're also happy with EA keeping the exclusive rights to all Star Wars games. Meh!
  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2019 19:15:25 19,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nah. Disney got paid a huge amount from EA to get the license. Disney have to literally do nothing. Bob Iger admits that Disney canít do video games and are quite happy to sit back and take the money. They literally donít give a fuck about whatís been cancelled or what the video game fans want. They are getting a lot of money from it.

Iger did step in at one point when the micro transactions uproar first happened and some people thought heíd take the license off EA. Nope.
  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2019 19:37:14 19,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    I'm sure they'd rather have successful and popular games and the money too.
    They already do as far as he's concerned.
  • JoeBlade 11 Feb 2019 19:45:57 4,372 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Disney apparently abandoned games as a medium a few years back, except for what they can make off it from selling on their IP.

Canning the fairly highly anticipated Star Wars 1313 (and perhaps other games we don't even know of), closing down Disney Interactive, selling the SW license to EA who make fairly shit SW games with it but probably pay through the nose... it all seems to fit.

That's just what I've read/heard on teh intarwebs but appears plausible enough.
  • nickthegun 11 Feb 2019 21:14:53 77,858 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    They already do as far as he's concerned.
    Nah, they have one but not the other. They will be pleased with the cash and the lack of effort/investment but they would no doubt be more pleased if EA had managed to put out more than two games during the much hyped rebirth of the franchise, with the film tie ins being more than a bit of DLC.

They now own the company who made KOTOR, ffs.

Edited by nickthegun at 21:15:44 11-02-2019
  • beastmaster 14 Feb 2019 19:55:39 19,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Turns out rumours of Rian Johnsonís trilogy being canned we not true. Heís stated as much and heís still working on them.
  • Tonka 15 Feb 2019 09:17:15 29,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Turns out rumours of Rian Johnsonís trilogy being canned we not true. Heís stated as much and heís still working on them.
    Again? Have I fallen into some time warping worm hole?This is absolutely ridiculous.

Not saying it won't be shitcanned mind. Disney definitely need to rethink its SW strategy and if they decide that loudmouthed old-skool fans are the way forward, then giving Rian the cold shoulder would be a smart move.
  • beastmaster 15 Feb 2019 09:37:47 19,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    loudmouthed old-skool fans are the ones that go and see a film at least 8 times at the cinema. Thereís quite a large number of these and they will boycott.

I think TLJ roughly made $1 billion less than TFA and Solo flopped hard. Yes, diminishing returns etc but thatís still a huge drop off. TLJ didnít get any repeat viewings from these people.

Episode 9 has got a hell of a lot riding on it.
  • Tonka 15 Feb 2019 09:42:50 29,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I quite like seeing peoples reviews of Solo in the Rate the last film thread. LOt's of ppl saying "Huh, not as bad as I though. Kid of regret I didn't go to the cinema"

So Disney definitely need to rework their strategy somehow. Betting on a dwindling population with conservative leanings though? Not sure that's a smart move long term.
  • the_milkybar_kid 15 Feb 2019 09:58:54 7,988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't be paying to see a Rian Johnson trilogy. To be honest, even Episode 9 is a hard sell as I usually go 2-3 times with different sets of people.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:00:28 15-02-2019
  • Tricky 15 Feb 2019 10:01:40 4,906 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Solo was just released at the wrong time. They should have delayed it to Christmas and given some space between it and TLJ.
  • Not-a-reviewer 15 Feb 2019 10:05:48 5,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If solo had been completely standalone it would have been an ok film, not amazing but itís alright. Itís big problem is every single thing that was apparently a major part of his life happened in about a week of his life and we knew how it turned out so tension and suspense is lost.
  • Tonka 15 Feb 2019 11:18:47 29,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    loudmouthed old-skool fans are the ones that go and see a film at least 8 times at the cinema. Thereís quite a large number of these and they will boycott.

I think TLJ roughly made $1 billion less than TFA and Solo flopped hard. Yes, diminishing returns etc but thatís still a huge drop off. TLJ didnít get any repeat viewings from these people.
    Having thought a bit more about this it's a massive fucking problem for Disney. Relying on a hardcore, fickle, fanbase viewing your film 8 times is waaaay too risky. Talk about putting all your eggs in the same basket.

So that 1$billion is the canary in the coal mine saying they **have** to change tack or become obsolete.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.