Australia

• Armoured_Bear 21 Feb 2016 00:29:27 27,192 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm off to Australia in April for my brother's wedding in Adelaide.
    I'll be travelling with my other half and my dad who is a little bit limited with his health, can't really walk more than 1km.

Rather than be based in Adelaide the whole time I thought we'd fly in to Melbourne, have a few days there then drive to Adelaide over 3-4 days via the Great Ocean Road then spend the rest of the time in South Australia. No doubt visiting Barossa Valley, Kangaroo Island etc.

I'm hoping to see more than just Adelaide without making it too knackering for my dad but getting plenty of time with my brother.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions form those who know that part of the world.
  • AwesomeWells 21 Feb 2016 01:27:54 1,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you are in Melbourne over a weekend, make sure you take in an AFL game at the MCG. An evening game if possible.

Apart from that, I think you've already got the main attractions sorted.

For the trip back I'd go from Adelaide to Perth for a couple of days and then fly back to Europe from there. All the best people live in Perth...

Enjoy :)
  • Mola_Ram 21 Feb 2016 01:33:07 20,834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Perth sucks.

/never been there
  • AwesomeWells 21 Feb 2016 01:41:02 1,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not as much as Adelaide.

/has been there
  • Mola_Ram 21 Feb 2016 01:43:51 20,834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, we can agree on that one.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Feb 2016 02:11:15 13,428 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Adelaide is the greatest city on Earth.

Definitely try and have a wine tour in the Barossa or McLaren Vale. Try to catch a game of something at The Oval, it's a great ground since the development. Also if you can afford it, have a bite to eat in Windy Point restaurant, my favourite eatery (go restaurant upstairs and try to book a table at a time when you will catch the sunset).

Unfortunately you're coming after the fringe and Clipsal, both of which would have been fun, but there's normally some event going on around the city.

Enjoy, and ignore the haters :)
  • neilka 21 Feb 2016 02:18:18 22,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For recommendations contact rolfaroo@hmps.gov.uk
  • Mola_Ram 21 Feb 2016 02:31:10 20,834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually secretly really like Adelaide, and wouldn't mind living there at all. It's a lovely city.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Feb 2016 02:52:52 13,428 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    \o/
  • Mola_Ram 21 Feb 2016 03:09:51 20,834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do have a massive grudge against the Clipsal 500 though, for somehow being scheduled at the same time as the outdoors Ennio Morricone concert that I drove interstate to see. Fuck those guys.
  • AwesomeWells 21 Feb 2016 03:45:35 1,119 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't dislike Adelaide per se but I once had a horrible nightmare sometime in 2006 about England losing an unloseable test match there on the last day.

Put me right off the place.
  • captain_markyboy 21 Feb 2016 09:48:32 853 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Everything wants to eat/bite/sting or fight you over there. Cancel immediately.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Feb 2016 09:54:07 27,192 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AwesomeWells wrote:
    If you are in Melbourne over a weekend, make sure you take in an AFL game at the MCG. An evening game if possible.

Apart from that, I think you've already got the main attractions sorted.

For the trip back I'd go from Adelaide to Perth for a couple of days and then fly back to Europe from there. All the best people live in Perth...

Enjoy :)
    Looks like St. Kilda are playing at the MCG the day after we plan to arrive, that would be cool.
    Haha, A few really good mates come from Perth, I won't make it this time, don't want too much travelling with the old boy.....
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Feb 2016 09:54:30 27,192 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Adelaide is the greatest city on Earth.

Definitely try and have a wine tour in the Barossa or McLaren Vale. Try to catch a game of something at The Oval, it's a great ground since the development. Also if you can afford it, have a bite to eat in Windy Point restaurant, my favourite eatery (go restaurant upstairs and try to book a table at a time when you will catch the sunset).

Unfortunately you're coming after the fringe and Clipsal, both of which would have been fun, but there's normally some event going on around the city.

Enjoy, and ignore the haters :)
    Cheers for the tips!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.