Following Stardew Valley - a Harvest Moon type game Page 16

• Zero_g 11 Dec 2017 13:54:40 378 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iíve recently used winter to rearrange my farm too. Come spring iíll be planting ancient seeds by the hundred.
    With jumino hits strategically placed and iridium sprinklers it should all take care of itself until the following winter...
  • Duffking 11 Dec 2017 14:51:16 16,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @THFourteen if you find the place you started to find fishing easier, I'd repeatedly hit that spot as much as you can if you have time. As you increase your fishing skill level, the green bar gets larger and larger and you also unlock better rods.
  • Duffking 11 Dec 2017 14:52:15 16,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Luckily I planned my farm out as I went in first year so had no real need to rearrange, but yeah, winter is the best time to do it. I mostly just started exploring the skull cavern for iridium and worked on upgrading my tools.
  • Spectral 11 Dec 2017 14:58:36 6,385 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    How is the pad support on the PC version? I was interested in this back when it came out but it didn't seem like the kind of game suited to keyboard and mouse.
  • Duffking 11 Dec 2017 16:57:29 16,610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's OK from what I gather, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it plays better on a M+K a lot of the time. All the menus were designed for that way.
  • Krip 19 Dec 2017 18:43:11 20 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Absolutely loving this game. Spending all my game time on it at the moment, like a few people have said it's like crack.

I've come across an issue with the community centre tasks, where it won't let me add in the items i.e. Cheese am I missing something obvious? I've a few other items placed in the task category and they fill the top half, but it won't let me add the cheese to the bottom half.

Playing on PS4.

Edit: Sorted you have to press right rather than down!

Edited by Krip at 21:32:49 19-12-2017
  • erniewhatbert 16 Jan 2018 12:34:31 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I fired this up on Sunday on the Switch for the first time in a while.

I had problems with building interiors not showing up correctly, or at all. The farm house had missing items not rendered but still physically there. The saloon was a black void with NPCs standing in their usual places.

This happened when docked and undocked, I'd never seen it before, 40 hours in. Has it happened to others?
  • DangerousDave_87 16 Jan 2018 12:39:13 6,811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can you grab screenshots? That's very weird. Sounds like the game data may corrupt. Does it happen every time you not the game up?
  • erniewhatbert 16 Jan 2018 12:46:54 3,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 I admit I never tried it repeatedly. I played through an in-game day, tried it briefly into the next in-game day and haven't returned to it. I'll check it again tonight.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2018 16:42:03
    I heard it said before but now I believe it, this game is like crack.

I bought it in a PS4 sale a while back and only gave it an hour or two. I started playing it a few days back and was hooked. Then came the Switch purchase and I grabbed this on it, I can't put it down. It's dangerous being able to take it anywhere with you.

I'm at the point now that I can fill my days up quite nicely no matter what's happening.

I've yet to expand much beyond 100-150 crops (single item) and a silo - I'm about to start clearing the rest of the field now the Silo is complete. Then it'll be upgrading the watering can and building the coop.

I've read a bunch of tip and tricks from sites, but I wanted to ask - if there's one thing you'd pass back to yourself when you first started.

Mine right now would be to do a bit of everything each day to get started, forage, mine, fish and farm just a little each day and it'll all add up!

The one thing that is annoying me (a little) so far is even when running it's quite the slog to get back to the farm, it's definitely made me realise I need to prepare better for each day ahead.
  • Zero_g 5 Mar 2018 21:31:52 378 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @blimeyguvnor87
    My advice would be to build quality and iridium sprinklers as soon as possible.
    Automating the watering is such a time and energy saver.
  • Skirlasvoud 5 Mar 2018 21:41:32 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @blimeyguvnor87

Animals and the Greenhouse (by fixing the Community Center's Pantry Room) are great for staying productive and financially secure during Winter.

The Horse and fixing the Com Center's Boiler room for the Railsystem, are great for getting around quickly. It will safe you the time running around.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2018 17:58:46
    I had my first disaster today, I didn't realise seasons were only 28 days...lost ~75 crops! I started summer with around 4k. Not good.

I am coming to the end of my first set of harvests though, I needed stuff to earn coin quickly.

I'm definitely addicted.
  • Skirlasvoud 6 Mar 2018 18:59:23 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @blimeyguvnor87

Oh! One thing I definitly would've liked to know, is that the game DOES have something of a soft time limit of sorts after 2 years of playtime.

After escaping the corporation breathing down your neck for your efficiency and results as an office drone, Grandpa is a bit of a dick on the first day of Spring, year 3, and he'll pop up and you'll be rated by him for your efficiency and results as a farmer.

There's a handy wikia page about it: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Grandpa

If you manage to fulfill the requirements, you'll be awarded with a VERY handy item that will award you free daily iridium.

Don't worry about it too much, since you can request to be re-rated easily enough and still qualify for the award, but when I first realized it, I did see it as a challenge to meet the requirements ahead of time.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 19:03:08 06-03-2018
  • Mola_Ram 7 Mar 2018 04:59:32 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish the days lasted a little longer in this. I mean, it doesn't have to be real time like Animal Crossing or anything (though I probably would prefer that on the whole). But as it is I don't ever really feel relaxed, because I'm constantly looking at the clock wondering if I can get to the store before it closes, etc. It's rush, rush, rush, all the time.

I guess it just isn't the kind of game I thought it might be. I do still really like it, I just don't find it particularly therapeutic.
  • Zero_g 7 Mar 2018 08:11:35 378 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I felt a similar way for a while.
    I have a question though. Why do you feel that you have to rush about? There are very limited implications to not being able to accomplish a specific task in a day.
    You can spend entire seasons fishing if you choose.

Itís for you to set the pace that you want.

After 3-4 years in game the watering and harvesting is mostly automated and even not milking the cows or making mayonnaise for a few days has no consequences and Iíve more in game currency than I need.

Edited by Zero_g at 08:11:53 07-03-2018
  • Deleted user 7 March 2018 08:24:52
    @Skirlasvoud this is very handy to know - thanks a lot. Iíll take a look and read into this.

Thanks!
  • Deleted user 7 March 2018 08:26:51
    @Mola_Ram I have to second Zero, as long as my crops are watered and animals fed (itís not automated yet) the rest of the day is up to me to fill. I tend to mix it up rather than focus on quests. My main focus is trying to get a steady stream of income and resource to automate before I focus on the community-type stuff.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Mar 2018 09:34:53 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but I can't fish for a whole season. Or rather, I can, but only in a hundred or so 5 minute chunks. I have to fish for 5 minutes, eat to restore energy, fish a couple more minutes, run back home to sleep, run back out again in the morning, fish for 5 minutes, etc.

What I like, is to spend half an hour or an hour or so in real time, doing literally nothing but fish (or what have you). No energy bars, no time limits, nothing. If I'm the sort of farmer that likes to stay up after 2am catching sharks, then I should be able to do that!

Sorry for being nitpicky, it really is just a different stylistic choice to what my own preferences are. It's just doing its own thing (rather well), and I can't really fault it just because I want it to be a different thing.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:45:10 07-03-2018
  • Skirlasvoud 7 Mar 2018 14:15:55 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the mechanic of sleep, or rather, the waking up part. It does SOMETHING to structure your day around the only inevitability that the game has. Why not the day/night cycle?

I've managed 3 different farms now and consistently around year 2, after I've automated much of the farm and it's clear it's all exponential growth from there on out, I usually end up with a lot of free time on my farmer's hands. Most of the necessary chores are done by 12:00 and I'll raid the mines if the day is lucky, or fish/cut wood if it's not.

But honestly though, that's just me killing time and trying to feel as though the day has been productive enough before the evening comes along. Sleep gives me an excuse to stop the extracurricular busywork, wake up, and be confronted again with what actually matters: The daily chores on the actual farm and seeing how it progresses. Watching the crops grow, plucking the fruit trees and building a relationship with my animals.

Then the boring part comes again and I can't wait for an excuse to sleep once more.

I just like the ritual of sleep. Something's taken away from the game without it. If my farmer could go on past 2 am, sleep would be redundant and I'd be forever worried that the day had been ill-spent. It'd just increase the amount of busy work I'd do, away from what's actually interesting.
  • Scimarad 7 Mar 2018 14:56:58 9,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I totally agree with what some others have said about this; I don't find it relaxing at all because always feel like I'm not doing all things I need to be doing and time is always running out. I know it's nonsense because you don't NEED to do anything but IT still means I don't find it a relaxing game.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Apr 2018 08:53:44 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why does my farm have a giant cauliflower? It's so big that I can't pick it up.

Am I supposed to to hack it to pieces or something? Is there any other benefit to having it?
  • RobAnybody 1 Apr 2018 09:18:01 2,187 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's okay, that's supposed to happen under certain circumstances. Here's the wiki page with some more info:

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Crops#Giant_Crops
  • Skirlasvoud 1 Apr 2018 09:21:32 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You harvest giant crops (cauliflower, melon, pumpkins) with an axe. Theyll drop 15-21 of their smaller versions.

They donít die in winter, so if you want decorations...
  • Mola_Ram 1 Apr 2018 09:29:15 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RobAnybody

I'm trying to avoid the wiki, but thanks anyway! I ended up chopping it into about 20 little cauliflowers, which will be rather good for the old income.

In other news, I'm liking the game more now. I still feel a bit rushed (particularly when I'm in the mines), but I've mostly accepted it for what it is rather than wishing it was Animal Crossing.

/tears hair out waiting for Animal Crossing Switch announcement

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:29:49 01-04-2018
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Apr 2018 17:12:46 1,088 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Told the other half that I thought spring lasted 30 days. Oops. Goodbye enormous crop field!
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Apr 2018 17:14:14 1,088 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She's not that angry. For some reason. I'd be livid!
  • Mola_Ram 7 Apr 2018 23:13:32 24,022 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eh? It says 28 days, right there on the calendar.
  • RobAnybody 8 Apr 2018 09:19:15 2,187 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A few pieces of NPC dialog also state that each season lasts 28 days.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.