The celebrity death thread Page 79

• macmurphy 14 Mar 2018 13:50:07 3,080 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The funny thing is looking back at what they wore and thinking what a horror show it was. Black shoes, black trousers and a cheap short sleeved shirt.

Then I realised thatís probably what I wore out for about four years before it became acceptable to wear jeans and trainers.
  • Blackmarsh63 14 Mar 2018 14:26:56 1,345 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2018 14:47:56 14,291 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Literally the only way that "Stephen Hawking and Jim Bowing" were ever going to be an answer to a quiz question.
  • DaM 14 Mar 2018 15:02:17 17,096 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have it on good authority from the office Christian that your body gets replaced with a perfect one when you go through the Pearly Gates.

So in theory, Jim and Stephen can play darts on the same board. We are surmising that wheelchair darts players use a board lower down than usual. So they can retrieve the darts. Unless they have a fancy dart remover stick.

It's all academic though, as they will only get into Heaven if they have God in their hearts. She suspects at least Stephen didn't.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2018 15:39:08 14,291 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was a pretty open secret that Jim was a devil worshiper so he's out too.
  • Jono62 14 Mar 2018 15:40:39 20,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These deaths just ain't the same without a Let'sGo thread.
  • thelzdking 14 Mar 2018 16:04:43 8,068 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It was a pretty open secret that Jim was a devil worshiper so he's out too.
    The bull is a powerful symbol of male fertility and strength in many pagan religions.

As is a Ferguson portable television.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2018 16:20:26 14,291 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You can't tell me anyone with that many speedboats hasn't made a deal with Satan.
  • macmurphy 14 Mar 2018 17:56:57 3,080 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You can't tell me anyone with that many speedboats hasn't made a deal with Satan.
    GLOL.
  • up_the_ante 14 Mar 2018 19:22:26 601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I have it on good authority from the office Christian that your body gets replaced with a perfect one when you go through the Pearly Gates.

So in theory, Jim and Stephen can play darts on the same board. We are surmising that wheelchair darts players use a board lower down than usual. So they can retrieve the darts. Unless they have a fancy dart remover stick.

It's all academic though, as they will only get into Heaven if they have God in their hearts. She suspects at least Stephen didn't.
    So in theory Stephen Hawking would emerge through the pearly gates looking like this? Or is it a perfect version of the body you have when you die? What if you die when you're a baby? Do they guess what you'd look like when you're 25? Does he have to learn how to walk again? So many questions...

• You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2018 19:33:11 11,452 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My son was properly grilling me on these issues recently. Of greatest concern was the likelyhood that heaven is full of incredibly old people. In the end we decided you get to choose your age.
  • the_milkybar_kid 14 Mar 2018 19:46:07 6,995 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We all come back as a Hayden Christensen ghost.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2018 20:19:57 14,291 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    My son was properly grilling me on these issues recently. Of greatest concern was the likelyhood that heaven is full of incredibly old people. In the end we decided you get to choose your age.
    I'm going with "death is eternal darkness son, now finish your cheerios."
  • nickthegun 14 Mar 2018 20:43:26 74,017 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We went with 'nobody knows until you get there' which isn't the most comforting thing, but she then decided my mum had become a star so mission accomplished, I guess?
  • up_the_ante 14 Mar 2018 22:42:09 601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had an operation with general anaesthetic recently and it stops many of your normal brain functions. Obviously there's low level stuff like breathing going on but the rest was complete oblivion. When you sleep your brain is busy and you are aware of time having passed, but with this when I woke up it could have been 1 minute or 100 years later. I had no idea. I found it strangely reassuring if that's what death is. You should be about as worried about the time after you exist as you were about the 13BN years before you existed.
  • FuzzyDucky 15 Mar 2018 00:02:46 3,210 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought Jim Bowen was much older than that. Regardless, a good innings and I fucking loved Bullseye as a kid.
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Mar 2018 00:55:33 4,621 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @up_the_ante I have an irrational fear of death and the thoughts about the 13 billion years before my life scares me. Not existing with any kind of awareness scares me.
  • up_the_ante 15 Mar 2018 01:47:07 601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 The fear of death IS the most rational fear. Evolution depends on it. Do you perhaps feel that, although other people die, the same doesnít apply to you? And you will somehow live longer or forever? Thatís part of the human psyche too
  • Mola_Ram 15 Mar 2018 02:10:03 17,940 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It can get to the irrational stage though, like if someone decided to never ride in a vehicle because they're scared it's going to crash and kill them.

I think that when people talk about fearing death, though, a lot of the time it's more a fear that their life hasn't meant anything at all.
  • Dirtbox 15 Mar 2018 05:48:14 90,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The older you get, the less you believe that. You know your death is inevitable and most come to terms with it.
  • ZuluHero 15 Mar 2018 08:06:40 6,420 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @up_the_ante I had the complete opposite. I had a 9 hour op, and even though I drew similar conclusions I found it very disconcerting. Maybe it was because I woke up after it, and the loss of time was very apparent.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Mar 2018 08:30:43 14,291 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One thing I'm 100% sure of is that there isn't a single dead guy who gives a fuck that he's dead.
  • RandolphCarter 15 Mar 2018 10:10:01 746 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It can get to the irrational stage though, like if someone decided to never ride in a vehicle because they're scared it's going to crash and kill them.

I think that when people talk about fearing death, though, a lot of the time it's more a fear that their life hasn't meant anything at all.
    Having seen the devestating effects of relatively slow car collisions, I can attest that driving on single carriageways when a lorry zooms past actually makes me cringe. Just a few feet separate you from a high likelihood of being killed in a collision.

I genuinely have a fear of death. Life has absolutely no meaning. It doesn't matter if you are internationally famous or a peasant - your existence and purpose amount to nothing when you are blotted out of existence upon death.

Sure, fame and infamy both offer a form of immortality through the collective consciousness of others - but the thought upon dying that you will never see the sun rise again, never see leaves flutter in a breeze or even see loved ones again fills me with absolute dread.

I literally lay awake at night on many occasions gripped with the fear of death. It verges on a phobia, actually.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Mar 2018 10:11:42 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Having seen the devestating effects of relatively slow car collisions, I can attest that driving on single carriageways when a lorry zooms past actually makes me cringe. Just a few feet separate you from a high likelihood of being killed in a collision.

I genuinely have a fear of death. Life has absolutely no meaning. It doesn't matter if you are internationally famous or a peasant - your existence and purpose amount to nothing when you are blotted out of existence upon death.

Sure, fame and infamy both offer a form of immortality through the collective consciousness of others - but the thought upon dying that you will never see the sun rise again, never see leaves flutter in a breeze or even see loved ones again fills me with absolute dread.

I literally lay awake at night on many occasions gripped with the fear of death. It verges on a phobia, actually.
    Is that before or after you literally shake with anger?
  • RandolphCarter 15 Mar 2018 10:20:50 746 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Is that before or after you literally shake with anger?
    Give me the anger over the baleful fear of death anyday....

Rage, rage against the dying of the light...etc
  • DaM 15 Mar 2018 12:57:29 17,096 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    One thing I'm 100% sure of is that there isn't a single dead guy who gives a fuck that he's dead.
    Bet Stephen does though, now he can stand up and play darts with Jim. And remove the arrows himself. Probably handle a few more pints while he's at it.
  • Baihu1983 21 Mar 2018 15:32:20 10,064 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Henry Cavill's mustache

https://twitter.com/TheDCEU/status/976403022287745024?s=19
  • FilthyAnimal 21 Mar 2018 15:46:05 415 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I almost pissed myself laughing at that. Henry Cavill turning up the charm to 11.
  • vurt 23 Mar 2018 10:22:06 130 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Loads of rumours about Peter Kay, not sure if its true. Not the one from Feb with Peter Reid
  • richarddavies 23 Mar 2018 10:28:41 6,212 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vurt wrote:
    Loads of rumours about Peter Kay, not sure if its true. Not the one from Feb with Peter Reid
    Yeah I'm hoping there untrue as I'm a big Phoenix nights fan. It was rather odd his very sudden cancelling everything he was doing then disappearing completely from the limelight :-/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.