The celebrity death thread Page 114

  • Load_2.0 14 May 2019 09:42:35 29,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't know if any of those were a mockery of the subject.

    If my father was a flamboyant cross dresser that would be something that most people would struggle with.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2019 09:45:19 19,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Unless I missed a few episodes I can't remember Tom Selleck ever being a paedophile in it.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2019 09:57:00 26,678 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Frasier >>>>>>>>>>>>> Friends
  • Kay 14 May 2019 10:03:27 20,007 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    See also hahaha Fat Monica, hahahaha Tom Selleck Pedo, hahahahah male nannies lol, hahaha Joey Serial Misogynist, hahaha LESBIANS LOL HAAHA!
    It's easy to criticise the show in hindsight for the way it broached these topics, but it's been 15 years(!) now since it ended. And more recent shows have arguably been more offensive (the whole trans storyline in IT Crowd is one example that pops up, though probably not surprising now considering its writer).
  • Frogofdoom 14 May 2019 10:04:07 13,216 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Decks to be fair you sat on Jimmy Savilles lap and thought he had a banana in his pocket.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 10:06:15 15,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    See also hahaha Fat Monica, hahahaha Tom Selleck Pedo, hahahahah male nannies lol, hahaha Joey Serial Misogynist, hahaha LESBIANS LOL HAAHA!
    It's easy to criticise the show in hindsight for the way it broached these topics, but it's been 15 years(!) now since it ended. And more recent shows have arguably been more offensive (the whole trans storyline in IT Crowd is one example that pops up, though probably not surprising now considering its writer).
    I'm not really criticising it. Just acknowledging the pace of change.

    Although even for the 90s there was a ridiculous lack of BAME representation considering it was about young people living in NY.
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 10:10:02 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Frasier >>>>>>>>>>>>> Friends
    There's a lot in Frasier that is almost as problematic. Roz the slag despite Frasier dating as many people, Niles basically stalking a woman for nine years and constantly slating his wife....
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 10:12:52 6,042 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Daphne's fucking accent
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2019 10:15:02 26,678 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Frasier >>>>>>>>>>>>> Friends
    There's a lot in Frasier that is almost as problematic. Roz the slag despite Frasier dating as many people, Niles basically stalking a woman for nine years and constantly slating his wife....
    Yep, not denying that but it was a better written, better acted and more intelligent sitcom than Friends.
  • Dougs 14 May 2019 10:16:51 89,122 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My wife is currently rewatching Friends. Again. She only finished the last one about a year ago. Drives me fucking mad, every time I walk in a room, it's on. Can't stand the smug twats.
  • Addy__ 14 May 2019 10:22:14 677 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Dougs wrote:
    My wife is currently rewatching Friends. Again. She only finished the last one about a year ago. Drives me fucking mad, every time I walk in a room, it's on. Can't stand the smug twats.
    Could you BE any angrier about it?
  • Trafford 14 May 2019 10:27:27 8,347 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Recently discovered that my youngest son, who is 15, has just finished watching the entire run of Friends. I was a bit gobsmacked. There's about 150 episodes, I felt bad for being an absent father.
  • nudistpete 14 May 2019 10:32:10 669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    There's a lot in Frasier that is almost as problematic. Roz the slag despite Frasier dating as many people, Niles basically stalking a woman for nine years and constantly slating his wife....
    I don't see how Roz being an unapologetic maneater is problematic? If anything you're slut shaming her. Please turn in your Wokeness card at your local vegan co-operative bakery.
  • Dougs 14 May 2019 10:32:11 89,122 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    My wife is currently rewatching Friends. Again. She only finished the last one about a year ago. Drives me fucking mad, every time I walk in a room, it's on. Can't stand the smug twats.
    Could you BE any angrier about it?
    /explodes
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 10:37:14 15,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    There's a lot in Frasier that is almost as problematic. Roz the slag despite Frasier dating as many people, Niles basically stalking a woman for nine years and constantly slating his wife....
    I don't see how Roz being an unapologetic maneater is problematic? If anything you're slut shaming her. Please turn in your Wokeness card at your local vegan co-operative bakery.
    I think you're right that to an extent she's a progressive representation, and you could even argue that we're supposed to be laughing at (not with) Frasier and co's attitude to her behaviour. But it's a little bit of a stretch and today it would probably be handled different.

    It's not quite on a par with Ross's lesbian wife where the big joke is literally that she's a lesbian, and all that implies about Ross's masculinity.
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 10:37:45 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    There's a lot in Frasier that is almost as problematic. Roz the slag despite Frasier dating as many people, Niles basically stalking a woman for nine years and constantly slating his wife....
    I don't see how Roz being an unapologetic maneater is problematic? If anything you're slut shaming her. Please turn in your Wokeness card at your local vegan co-operative bakery.
    I know this is a bit of a trigger issue for you, but I was referring to every other character in the show continually shaming her for it when Frasier is just as bad.
  • Fake_Blood 14 May 2019 10:43:52 9,485 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thereís even a few episodes of friends where they eat dead animals.

    /in case anyone reads this in 20 years and social values keep shifting
  • nudistpete 14 May 2019 10:53:35 669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I know this is a bit of a trigger issue for you, but I was referring to every other character in the show continually shaming her for it when Frasier is just as bad.
    I'm not sure why it's a trigger issue? If anything I was being sarcastic.

    Having thought about it further I'm not really sure it would be much different today - she's into having a lot of sex but she's pretty moral, counterpointed with Bulldog who oozes sleaze and immorality in comparison. Frasier's approaches to relationships, his inability to keep them due to his finickiness and his overstated sexual prowess are repeatedly mocked throughout the show's duration. Niles probably is Roz's biggest critic until his divorce because he just can't get any out of his "sexual camel" obsessed with wealth Maris, it's pretty clear that he's just jealous of her - he even says she kisses better than Maris when she "saves him the dues" of the Never Kissed Roz club.

    God I love Frasier. The characters are just so well rounded.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2019 10:57:50 19,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Thereís even a few episodes of friends where they eat dead animals.

    /in case anyone reads this in 20 years and social values keep shifting
    There's one show were the touch each other. No pre arranged contracts or anything. It's even implied they exchange fluids.
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 11:01:12 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I know this is a bit of a trigger issue for you, but I was referring to every other character in the show continually shaming her for it when Frasier is just as bad.
    I'm not sure why it's a trigger issue? If anything I was being sarcastic.
    Because, and apologies if this isn't the case, the only topics I ever really see you comment on are to do with gender issues. It seems like a really big deal to you.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 11:03:02 6,042 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The One Where Monica, Rachel and Phoebe Hold All The Cards
  • DUFFMAN5 14 May 2019 11:04:35 24,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed friends but would say time has not been kind to it, as for Frasier. Brilliant and Roz rocks.
  • elstoof 14 May 2019 11:09:15 23,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Friends is ok for the odd nostalgia trip, but I canít see why anyone would watch it for the first time now. Iíd expect itís like when I tried watching Taxi after getting into Andy Kauffman as a teenager
  • nudistpete 14 May 2019 11:12:57 669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Because, and apologies if this isn't the case, the only topics I ever really see you comment on are to do with gender issues. It seems like a really big deal to you.
    Err. Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Check my post history... https://www.eurogamer.net/profiles/nudistpete/activity
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 11:20:57 77,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, pretty sure but whatever.
  • JamboWayOh 14 May 2019 11:39:53 13,130 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't give a fuck still love Friends to this day. Sure some things have dated badly due to the current social lens we now view things but it still consistently makes me laugh.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 May 2019 11:40:09 1,644 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    She's always been a bit weird looking imo. She's no young Cybill Shepherd.
    Oh wow yes, had to have a google, Iíd forgotten just how beautiful she was.
  • senso-ji 14 May 2019 11:57:57 9,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Friends has to be the whitest sitcom ever. I'm glad Fresh Prince was being broadcast around the same time.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 12:23:46 6,042 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Nobody remembers Desmonds
  • nudistpete 14 May 2019 12:33:30 669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Nobody remembers Desmonds
    I, and all my schoolyard chums, loved Desmonds. I even watched all of the Porkpie spinoff even though I can't remember a single thing about it.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.