San Francisco Page 2

• Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2016 18:32:21 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is good stuff guys, cheers.

Last time I was there I went some some amazing Southern BBQ place, need to see if I have a note of it..
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2016 18:33:51 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Almost went to Elbo Room but realised I was a bit too old and far too sports-coat-and-chinos that evening.
  • reddevil93 14 Mar 2016 18:38:25 14,978 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, I know you mentioned hating Fisherman's Wharf but did you pop into the retro arcade down there? Worth doing so for a bit if you're back up around there doing the Bridge cycle. All classic arcade machines operated by quarters.
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2016 18:41:30 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just realised I'll be back there myself next month, better watch this thread.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2016 18:43:20 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Oh, I know you mentioned hating Fisherman's Wharf but did you pop into the retro arcade down there? Worth doing so for a bit if you're back up around there doing the Bridge cycle. All classic arcade machines operated by quarters.
    Don't think so, I'll keep an eye out.
    FW just seemed a really cheesy tourist trap, only decent thing was the sea lions.
  • richardiox 14 Mar 2016 18:53:36 7,744 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a great vintage gaming arcade at Fisherman's Wharf, although you've already negged that place. I really liked it myself.

Monteray is a good shout though.
  • reddevil93 14 Mar 2016 19:01:13 14,978 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park is free every Thursday. Some really cool stuff in there and they serve drink on Thursday nights too.
  • anephric 14 Mar 2016 19:01:54 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Just realised I'll be back there myself next month, better watch this thread.
    Stealth 'I don't know what city/country I'll be in on a month-by-month basis' post.
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2016 19:03:30 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't, really. Not since the car accident.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2016 19:04:46 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    The Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park is free every Thursday. Some really cool stuff in there and they serve drink on Thursday nights too.
    Cheers but the wedding is on the Thursday so I'll be busy being blind drunk and embarrassing my cousin then.
  • anephric 14 Mar 2016 19:09:36 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm off to SF in the summer as part of a road trip (stealth 'I'm going on an epic US road trip' post) and the planned highlight of my SF stopoff is recreating several shots from Big Trouble in Little China.
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2016 19:09:55 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When are you there, ecosse?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2016 19:12:14 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    When are you there, ecosse?
    27th March -till 3rd April.

You?
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2016 19:13:11 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    11th/12th of April.
  • elstoof 14 Mar 2016 19:14:05 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Weather should be reasonable, not too scorchio.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2016 19:18:04 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Weather should be reasonable, not too scorchio.
    Yep, my pale blue Scottish skin should be reasonably safe.

Famous last words, I'll be like a lobster with a few days.
  • Gl3n Moderator 14 Mar 2016 19:19:57 6,671 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm there/here at the moment. Been pissing down for two days straight, typically i'm now working all week and it's meant to be bright/warm Monday-Friday.
  • urban 14 Mar 2016 19:44:23 13,072 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I too am afflicted and this shit works

I even went hiking in Yosemite park for 4 days at the higher altitudes and nada, I think I was even using the factor 30 not 50! but yeah, foggy city be foggy.

• ozthegweat 14 Mar 2016 21:25:09 2,247 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lots of good tips already, Muir Woods I'd recommend as well, it's a half day trip (max). If I remember correctly, on the way there there's a nice spot along the road where you have a great view of the GG bridge and SF.

Amoeba Records in Haight-Ashbury, Lombard Street, Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Park, In-N-Out Burger are worth visiting as well.

Might also plan a trip to Silicon Valley, go on a sightseeing tour to visit the headquarters of the big IT companies (most have some kind of store or small attraction). There's also a fantastic computer museum where they had to kick me out because they were closing, I could have spent 8 hours there. I can look up which one it was if you're interested.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Apr 2016 18:48:50 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sf was cool, I did the cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge, went to Amoeba Records and explored all along Height, Alamo Square, had Tacos and Burritos in the Mission, had great food at the Ferry building, explored North Beach by day and night, went to the top of Coit Tower, wandered down Telegraph hill etc.
    I did loads of walking through different areas of the city and did lots of drinking and eating good food, jet lag was shit, I only slept 3-4 hours per night so I'm wrecked known I go to Australia on Thursday....

The homeless/drug addict/mentally ill situation in SF is beyond fucked up, even when you know about it, it's shocking to see. America is utterly, utterly fucked up.
  • elstoof 4 Apr 2016 18:52:34 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking weird place eh
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Apr 2016 19:12:05 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Fucking weird place eh
    Beyond weird.

I was on a bus the other day, at the back of the bus were two really loud and camp gay/cross dressers, pink contact lenses/loads of makeup etc. etc. Whatever.
    In front of them, sitting across from me was a homeless woman with her suitcase, she started chatting to me, I chatted back, feeling quite sorry for her.
    The bus stops for a long time, everyone is wondering why, the police come on, ask who called the cops, the camp gay guy said it was him.
    Off the bus he goes, the cops then cop in and ask me and the homeless woman to leave the bus, the cop said that there was a complaint that I had behaved "inappropriately", I was utterly bewildered and said that I humoured the poor woman by talking to her, she quickly had told the other cop that it was nonsense so I could go on my way.

I got on the next bus as quick as I could, it was quite an unnerving experience, I've no idea what their problem was, if they were wasted, attention seeking, whatever.
    No idea.

Tl;dr
    Some fucked up queens called the cops on me for speaking to a homeless woman on a bus.
  • askew 4 Apr 2016 19:21:53 19,566 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    :D
  • smoothpete 4 Apr 2016 19:27:46 35,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Homelessness in the US is rife, it was fucking confusing to me. Like Venice Beach, you need to watch where you step as there are people sleeping rough everywhere. The worst by miles was Eureka in Humbolt County (northern Cali). It was us and homeless dudes, we seemed to be the only people out in the street. And the lock on our motel door didn't work. Not the best nights sleep I've had.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Apr 2016 19:41:56 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Homelessness in the US is rife, it was fucking confusing to me. Like Venice Beach, you need to watch where you step as there are people sleeping rough everywhere. The worst by miles was Eureka in Humbolt County (northern Cali). It was us and homeless dudes, we seemed to be the only people out in the street. And the lock on our motel door didn't work. Not the best nights sleep I've had.
    The amount of mentally ill people is shocking, you see people screaming and shouting at themselves all the time.
    Also, a crack addict asked me if I wanted to smoke crack with her, "No", did I want to watch her smoke crack, "No", She upped her offer with "I'll suck your cock".
    She was in such a state, missing half her teeth, face misshapen but sounded pretty intelligent, truly sad.
    Even in nice areas you see people with crack pipes on the pavement.

How Americans can think of themselves as having the "greatest country in the world " when they have millions of people who are completely fucked, abandoned by society to such a scale is laughable.
  • mothercruncher 4 Apr 2016 21:36:25 16,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    urban wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I too am afflicted and this shit works

I even went hiking in Yosemite park for 4 days at the higher altitudes and nada, I think I was even using the factor 30 not 50! but yeah, foggy city be foggy.

Blonde, blue eyes, burn in approximately 20 minutes flat.
    This stuff saw me through a week on the beach in 30 degree sun though, it's remarkably good.
  • elstoof 4 Apr 2016 21:59:30 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    San Fran is the only place I've been where homelessness almost seems to be a lifestyle choice.

Hey guys, thinking about doing the hobo thing this year, you dig?

Edited by elstoof at 21:59:45 04-04-2016
  • elstoof 11 Apr 2016 00:43:13 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It really is a bit of a shithole, isn't it. Dolores is almost a nice neighbourhood though.
  • Tonka 15 May 2016 14:09:13 29,679 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What's this about tacos I keep hearing as soon as SF is mentioned?

I'm going next week for Google I/O and will have two days in SF proper. Tacos want the first thing on my mind but it seems like every man and his dog is tanning about them so I guess I'll better.

Where are the hipster café's? I like to blend in...
  • elstoof 15 May 2016 15:07:17 23,687 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apart from the usual fine dining stuff, I've never had great food there tbh. Had better tacos in Chicago. Was there month ago and I'm still half waiting for a bout of gastro after the well-reviewed ramen place I went to.

Head to the mission district for hipster activities.

Edited by elstoof at 15:09:38 15-05-2016

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.