San Francisco Page 4

Next Last
  • urban 24 Aug 2016 12:34:02 13,072 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cock. They've changed the plane and now the fire exit's are 2 rows behind me so now I'm sat in the middle seat on the right hand side of cattle class :(
  • Deleted user 24 August 2016 12:37:14
    Always go premium economy
  • AccidentProne 24 Aug 2016 12:43:28 1,359 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We've gone premium economy for the flight back, but it was full on the way out :( Apparently, if you take the two outer seats in a row of three, they let you book the middle seat for an extra 100, if you want a bit more space. Obviously wouldn't work if the flight's full, or you're on your own.
  • urban 24 Aug 2016 12:43:54 13,072 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    280 for a seat for 11 hours is kinda brutal tho.
  • anephric 24 Aug 2016 12:50:57 3,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Premium economy was just as bad. The same screaming kids, the same fat-fingered Mancunians jabbing the IFE screen on the back of the seat like they wanted to poke my eyes out through the back of my head.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2016 12:52:11
    I would pay that in a heartbeat, and then get my money back in booze while on the flight
  • Deleted user 24 August 2016 12:52:45
    Also, go upstairs if you can, the fatties and kids don't like stairs
  • urban 24 Aug 2016 13:30:56 13,072 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @anephric ugh I hadn't thought about the folk behind me stabbing the screen. I've got a pretty good 'you wanna cut that the fuck out?' face tho. I shall bring it along.

Edited by urban at 13:33:00 24-08-2016
  • anephric 24 Aug 2016 13:43:38 3,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I told them to stop jabbing, they got all arsey Manc style, and then my missus f-bombed them.

My missus is pretty scary when she's got her back up, she doesn't like people much.
  • Duffking 24 Aug 2016 16:28:48 16,262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My biggest problem on long haul flights is that I cannot sleep at all if I'm sitting. Never been able to. Luckily I can usually keep myself awake long enough post flight not to disrupt my sleeping pattern.

Actually I did try coming back recently, but the dude on the row in front and left of me fell asleep with his screen on and at full brightness, so even if I shut my eyes the light was still noticeable. He woke up eventually and turned it off, and right as he did that some other fucker turned their insanely bright reading light on.
  • Tonka 24 Aug 2016 20:34:27 29,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Duffking read this
  • anephric 24 Aug 2016 21:12:01 3,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No amount of earplugs (and I have hardcore industrial ones) could cancel out the two bawling monstrosities that I had directly behind me on my last transatlantic flight.

Also, make your kids use headphones. Don't shove a tablet in front of them that blurps out whatever fucking annoying Android game they're going to be playing for the next 11 hours at full volume.

I've never been able to sleep on a plane. However, for a long time, I was a bit like William Shatner in that Twilight Zone episode, so I can never relax enough even if the plane was quiet.
  • convz 24 Aug 2016 21:15:19 1,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't get that article, we always arrive early to flights and best case scenario is your luggage comes out last (seems to be first in last out), worst case scenario you have to sit in the area before the relative comfort of the departures lounge for a while before they check you in to the seats you already chose online.

The mask tip is interesting though, I think I will try that :) The noise and sitting position will still be enough to prevent me from sleeping I think
  • Duffking 24 Aug 2016 21:40:59 16,262 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka for next time I'll at least bring a sleeping mask, just in case. Seriously though, i just can't sleep sitting up. Car? Nope. Train? Nope. etc.
  • reddevil93 24 Aug 2016 21:45:52 14,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gl3n wrote:
    Any recommendations for off the beaten track stuff?
    From what I heard a lazy afternoon in Dolores Park is what the locals do. Not off the beaten track since it's usualy packed with people but not on any of the top 10 lists I saw.

If I ever go back I'll definitely try to squeeze in a visit to California academy of Sciences though, which is on a few of the lists
    Dolores is a really nice spot to relax for an afternoon. Grab yourself a burrito in the Mission (I'd recommend Taqueria Los Coyotes on 16th & Valencia) and go up there with some nice cold drinks.

The Academy of Sciences is very cool as well. They do night-time events every Thursday where they serve alcohol and have music playing. Well worth a visit.
  • Tonka 25 Aug 2016 06:34:06 29,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Duffking I used to struggle. Still not a big fan of it. Nowadays I manage to get some sleep in but it's of such poor quality I wonder if I wouldn't be better off without it.

Since I don't have any fancy headphones I just take the cheapo ones you get on the plane and put one of the music channels on to drown out crying babies.
  • Tonka 25 Aug 2016 06:37:40 29,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    The Academy of Sciences is very cool as well. They do night-time events every Thursday where they serve alcohol and have music playing. Well worth a visit.
    This reminds me of another tip I got from a SanFransiscan. The Exploratorium http://www.exploratorium.edu/ they also do night time events with alcohol. The US seem really big on drinking BTW:
  • Tonka 25 Aug 2016 06:40:49 29,679 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    No amount of earplugs (and I have hardcore industrial ones) could cancel out the two bawling monstrosities that I had directly behind me on my last transatlantic flight.
    If it's any consolation it's more stressfull for a parent than for any of the neighbours. Best trick to not get stressed out by crying babies on planes is to get your own. When others start bawling you just sit back and relax thinking "Thank god it's not mine!"
  • reddevil93 25 Aug 2016 07:27:16 14,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    This reminds me of another tip I got from a SanFransiscan. The Exploratorium http://www.exploratorium.edu/ they also do night time events with alcohol. The US seem really big on drinking BTW:
    They seem to like casual drinks but not late nights as much. Plenty will go for happy hour or drinks in the park after work but will just go home then after that.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.