Playstation 4 Pro Page 176

• BillMurray 25 Oct 2018 18:36:26 9,382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really hope my new Pro thwt I've just had delivered isn't working because of the fuse in the plug and not the whole thing. That would be a bummer.

Edit* False alarm. Just me being cack handed.

Edited by BillMurray at 19:13:22 25-10-2018
  • IJ 27 Oct 2018 12:35:39 972 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Just ordered a PS4 Pro Red Dead bundle. It come with a new CUH-72xx model. Hoping itís even quieter!
    Got this set up yesterday and played 90 minutes of RDR2. Its not silent but itís quieter than my standard PS4. I was quite sensitive to that and the noise annoyed me. So Iíve been pleasantly surprised how quiet this is after reading so many comments on how loud the Pro is. Obviously not put it through itís paces yet, but good so far.
  • IJ 27 Oct 2018 12:35:41 972 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • bcom77 29 Oct 2018 21:43:13 5 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dazimus I have a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S. Throughout the console generations I've only ever had a PlayStation due to their exclusives but really wanted to play the Forza Horizon games so bought a 2tb launch One S.

I've owned the Xbox for 2 years now and to be honest, my PS4 now only gets turned on to play Sony exclusives. Everything else I do on the Xbox. Xbox Live is far better value for money than PS Plus is and backwards compatibility and Game Pass are truly awesome. Plus the One S is so whisper quiet you forget it's sometimes on.

Like you said, the One X is graphically better than any current console and add all the value for money options I listed above, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Perhaps buy yourself a cheap used PS4 just in case there's a Sony exclusive that comes out that you might want to play in the future :-)
  • Switch024 30 Oct 2018 07:45:13 3,316 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For balance I had an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro and ended up selling my Xbox as 99% of the games are on PlayStation. As a mid gen upgrade the Pro is more than good enough for me, it make use of my 4K tele and all the games look incredible. No doubt the X is better but with all the great games on PS4 that's the place to be.
  • Ginjarou 30 Oct 2018 10:28:27 17 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would get a Pro if it is quieter than my base PS4. I don't have a 4K TV but would buy one for the better performance at 1080 and cooler running (having not to over work itself for 4k). But is this true it runs cooler when playing games at 1080p?
  • erniewhatbert 2 Nov 2018 09:55:59 2,985 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I picked up a PS4 Pro to play RDR2, having given away my base PS4 in 2017.

I forget which model number it is, but it is with the offical RDR2 bundle so it must be quite new. My impression of it is that it's quiet enough, more quiet than the early edition PS4 that I had.

I only have a 1080p TV and don't have any plans to replace it any time soon. No regrets though: the image quality is sooo much cleaner than I was expecting, presumably due to the super sampling mode.

I was curious to try the Pro's 1080p 60fps remote play feature. I don't want to go back to hogging the main TV again for hours. Streaming it to the Mac remote play app - wired with cat6 cables - works really well with minimal lag.

I tried the Wipeout Omega demo and I wouldn't want to play a response-demanding game like that through remote play, because the controls are just delayed enough to not enjoy it. However RDR2 is absolutely fine with it, so I'll be using that when the other half uses the TV. The image quality is more soft than playing it natively on the TV but still good enough to use regularly.
  • Psiloc 9 Nov 2018 12:04:50 5,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @bcom77 You've got a Pro and an S, and do all your multiplat gaming on the S? Hopefully you realise this is plain idiosyncratic and you're not under the impression the S is remotely close to the Pro in terms of performance

Anyway has anyone else tried this new RDR2 Pro having upgraded from a launch one? Wondering how much improvement I can expect in real terms. 40 odd decibels still doesn't seem great?
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Nov 2018 12:31:07 25,911 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    @bcom77 You've got a Pro and an S, and do all your multiplat gaming on the S? Hopefully you realise this is plain idiosyncratic and you're not under the impression the S is remotely close to the Pro in terms of performance

Anyway has anyone else tried this new RDR2 Pro having upgraded from a launch one? Wondering how much improvement I can expect in real terms. 40 odd decibels still doesn't seem great?
    Digital foundry found it also to be quieter so definitely the one to get.
  • Psiloc 13 Nov 2018 21:54:30 5,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Upgraded my Pro. It's night and day, simply don't hear it over the TV.
  • Psiloc 14 Nov 2018 11:19:34 5,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Already sold my launch Pro and RDR2 (which I already had). In total upgrading has cost me £24.

I can recommend doing this guys
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Nov 2018 12:42:46 25,911 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Already sold my launch Pro and RDR2 (which I already had). In total upgrading has cost me £24.

I can recommend doing this guys
    I think that my Xmas present to myself is now sorted.
  • Psiloc 14 Nov 2018 13:34:57 5,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tried the free trial of PS Now the other night, now that I'm finally on broadband that isn't just glorified dial up. It actually works really well, the odd streaming glitch but the lack of lag is really quite impressive. I can see why they're not averse to having fighting games and the like on there.

Main issue is still pricing and the game selection. But on a technical level, I really can now see this as its own workable gaming platform. It could sort BC in one fell swoop if they wanted it to
  • sodpig 14 Nov 2018 13:52:37 44 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pretty sure I'm going to stick my PS4 on eBay and upgrade to a Pro. Just going to hold out and see if there are any deals around Black Friday.

My TV is 4k but no HDR, so wondering if I'll have to upgrade that next... :/
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Nov 2018 13:53:57 25,911 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sodpig wrote:
    My TV is 4k but no HDR, so wondering if I'll have to upgrade that next... :/
    I think you already know the answer 😀
  • sodpig 14 Nov 2018 16:06:51 44 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Hmm, new boiler or new TV... good job we've got plenty of blankets in the house!
  • bcom77 21 Nov 2018 02:53:00 5 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Psiloc I do multiplayer on the One S because Xbox Live is far better value for money than PS Plus is. I had PS Plus for a while mainly while I was playing GT Sport but here in New Zealand it is $10 more a month than Xbox Live and on average, the monthly free games are better on Xbox than the PS4. And yes, of course I know that the performance of the Pro is better than that of an S. I do play them both you know.

Just my personal preference, others might find it the other way around.
  • Psiloc 21 Nov 2018 11:46:09 5,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair enough, $10 per month is quite the difference!
  • Darren 2 Dec 2018 10:39:29 9,564 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was invited to test the 6.10 Preview program but due to not being very well this week have turned on my PS4 Pro for the first time this week only to notice I wasn't signed into PSN. On looking at the notifications I saw a prompt to install firmware v6.02.

Thankfully it had not automatically installed so I deleted it and restarted my PS4 only to receive the same notification. This v6.02 firmware is the original version I was using *before* I opted into the preview program and when it installed I was told specifically that I would not be able to revert back to v6.02 without losing all the content installed on my 4 TB external hard drive. Sure enough, post 6.10 install the PS4 Pro updated the data on the external drive which took several minutes.

I deleted the firmware again then attempted to sign into PSN. I am told that the 6.10 Preview 2 program has ended and to install v6.02. This is the first time that I have ever been told to downgrade the firmware. Will I lose the contents of my external drive by doing so?

Has anyone else been testing the 6.10 Preview and has an external hard drive connected with games installed reverted back without losing anything drive?

*UPDATE*
    Seems you can revert to v6.02 from v6.10 Preview without losing any data on the external drive as I went ahead and installed it last night with no issues.

Previous firmware betas I've participated in have always allowed me to continue using the beta until the final version was released but, for whatever reason, this one expired and forces the previous one to be reinstalled otherwise you are unable to sign into PSN.

Edited by Darren at 13:21:45 03-12-2018
  • mickerty 2 Dec 2018 14:33:36 336 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ginjarou I bought a pro and 4k telly at the same time but the noise issue on base PS4 was as much a reason for getting one as the 4k modes.

My pro (Spiderman bundle) is almost whisper quiet in comparison to my base PS4.
  • puma_085 12 Dec 2018 09:46:30 8 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I lost my Launch day Ps4 recently and now it is time to get a new one. Not sure yet if I should get the Standard model again or go for the Pro. I have a 4K TV but I am not sure if my 4k TV is not to small to really get the Advantage of 4K.

I have often read that.40 is to small to see a difference between 1080p and 2160p and I think I can confirm that.

I am also the owner of a Xbox one S and the console can upscale some games. I know it is not real 4k just upscaled but still, it does not really look better than the stuff on my Standard ps4.

So I wonder if the upscaling and the 4k Output of the PS4 pro is any better than the Xbox One S or not. If it is better I will seriously consider the Pro. If not I get the Standard ps4 again.
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2018 11:14:41 5,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, you've got that wrong. An X1S won't look better than a PS4, in general it's noticeably worse.

If you've got (or had) a base PS4 and an X1S then the reason you can't see any difference between 1080p and 2160p games is because you don't have any 2160p content. You need a Pro or an X1X for that.

In general the X1S is 900p and the base PS4 is 1080p.
  • chessboxer 12 Dec 2018 15:08:22 324 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That bullshit line about screen size has been trotted out for years. 10+ years ago people were saying you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on screens below 40"or 50".

If you're going to get a new PS4, get a Pro - games will play better on it. Plus you get a third USB port so you can add extended storage to the back of the console rather than have it hanging out the front.

**Late edit. Should make sense now.

Edited by chessboxer at 13:27:19 14-12-2018
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 12 Dec 2018 16:24:34 1,726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    res is noticeable but not a deciding factor, games running better and VR performing much better is
  • puma_085 12 Dec 2018 18:41:52 8 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Ok I see. Thx for the infos guys. Then it is certain and I will get the Pro asap.
  • DaM 26 Dec 2018 13:24:24 17,269 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm trying to set up a second PS4 in the house, but can't figure out the best way to configure it.

Original PS4 - mainly used by teenage son for abusing his friends online. Playstation Plus on my account, not his.

New PS4 Pro - for younger son. I'll be playing more on this one. I set him up a new account, and a Playstation Plus sub (I think that was a bad move).

So just discovered if I sign in upstairs, it kills the online downstairs. I should have bought my elder son a PS Plus account, shouldn't I...? Then let mine lapse...but would I lose all my stuff?
  • ejayem 26 Dec 2018 15:01:49 135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My launch PS4 keeps disconnecting from the network (WiFi) and disconnecting the controller at the same time. Only way around it each time is to do a hard reset on the console and controller and turn it back on. Happened 3 times today in quick succession. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
  • markytonline83 1 Jan 2019 17:54:34 891 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone had experience of changing your associated email address that you use for PSN? My son has used my email address in the past but heís old enough to use his own so just wondering is it easy to switch over and doesnít effect things like PS+
  • mickerty 1 Jan 2019 18:33:11 336 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @markytonline83 I changed mine recently but can't remember how to do it - other than it was fairly painless!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.