Playstation 4 Pro Page 177

• Chug666 12 Jan 2019 19:53:00 582 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My ps4 somehow affects our HD recorder- if I'm gaming and my wife records something at the same time the recording often gets screwed up (bad news and rows if she sets the timer and I don't notice). If the ps4 is on standby/pause we lose a bunch of freeview channels too, which come back as soon as the ps4 is off. I'm not clever enough to work out why- any suggestions?
  • Kilters 6 Feb 2019 13:22:25 617 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Picked a pro up today. Very impressed. Migrating from my launch PS4 was seamless. Have to say it feels like a proper upgrade. So much quieter and quicker in terms of loading.

The graphical and stability improvement in Destiny2 was way more pronounced than what I was expecting.
  • Switch024 7 Apr 2019 17:48:55 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking at getting the latest model of the Pro as my launch one is now far too loud to play at night without using headphones. The Red Dead bundle is the latest model isn't it? They haven't released another revision since?
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2019 18:18:35 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Looking at getting the latest model of the Pro as my launch one is now far too loud to play at night without using headphones. The Red Dead bundle is the latest model isn't it? They haven't released another revision since?
    Nope, make sure you get a CUH-7216B and you're golden (Red dead or standard black).
  • Switch024 7 Apr 2019 19:23:43 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Thanks it's got that model number on the box so we're good to go.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2019 19:35:07 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Thanks it's got that model number on the box so we're good to go.
    Good stuff, apparently there are still 2 different fans, one better than the other but they seem much quieter.
    I have one and it's at least as quiet as my PS4 MGSV Limited Edition, which was the first bearable PS4 I owned.
  • Switch024 8 Apr 2019 08:34:07 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FussyDuck I've just been reading about the coil whine? How annoying is it? The examples I've heard are people clearly holding their phones to the console so it's hard to know how loud it actually is.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2019 08:43:27 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FussyDuck wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

How's the coil whine on your 72xx? I picked up one the other week (the 71xx was okay but the fan was loud during games like GoW and Horizon, both games I really want to get immersed in).

The fan on the new console is genuinely almost silent. You can barely hear it during the same games. Coil whine is definitely a thing though. It is still the quietest pS4 I've had by far (even compared to the MGSV LE).
    I haven't noticed any yet but I've only used it for a few hours, hopefully in the next few days I'll finish Xenoblade 2 and get back on the PS4.
    I'll keep you posted.
  • Switch024 8 Apr 2019 12:29:42 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers Fuzzy, appreciate the write up.
  • Switch024 12 Apr 2019 16:35:43 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So far so good with the new Pro. Managed to play Spider-Man without hearing the fans which is a massive improvement, the launch Pro sounded like a vacuum in comparison.
  • northernlights 14 Apr 2019 08:53:40 1,032 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is the only quiet PS4 pro model the red dead bundle ?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2019 09:19:42 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    No, any 7216B Model, a lot of the black ones on sale now standalone should be that one.
  • northernlights 14 Apr 2019 11:18:04 1,032 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    northernlights wrote:
    No, any 7216B Model, a lot of the black ones on sale now standalone should be that one.
    Is there a way of quickly telling ! I plan to buy one at Argos ! Can I check something on the box before I pay ?
  • Switch024 14 Apr 2019 11:22:21 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @northernlights Yeah the model number is on the front of the box.
  • shuffles 21 Apr 2019 07:55:43 255 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anyone have any bite sized Japanese game recommendations (or does such a thing exist)?

Iíve only ever played Final Fantasy games but I love them so much that Iíd like to try other Japanese styles games.

However, Iíve no clue where to start.

Iíve just come off the back of playing AC: Odyssey so looking for a relatively short game to dip into.

Any help would be really appreciated, cheers!

Edited by shuffles at 07:57:52 21-04-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2019 08:13:30 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shuffles wrote:
    Does anyone have any bite sized Japanese game recommendations (or does such a thing exist)?

Iíve only ever played Final Fantasy games but I love them so much that Iíd like to try other Japanese styles games.

However, Iíve no clue where to start.

Iíve just come off the back of playing AC: Odyssey so looking for a relatively short game to dip into.

Any help would be really appreciated, cheers!
    Shadow of the Colossus remake isnít very big

Thereís other great Japanese stuff such as Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Nioh, Nier:Automata, Dragon Quest 11 but theyíre medium to huge games.

Hold on, when you say ďJapanese gamesĒ, do you mean only JRPGs?
  • shuffles 21 Apr 2019 10:47:36 255 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Cheers! Not just JRPGs. Iím open to trying any type of game
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2019 11:40:04 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shuffles wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Cheers! Not just JRPGs. Iím open to trying any type of game
    If you haven't played them yet, Bloodborne and Yakuza 0 are brilliant. Both aren't small games as such but they're much smaller than the huge RPGs.
    I'd sign up to psprices.com and add a load of japanese games and pick some up when on sale, they're pretty frequent.
    Yakuza 0 is 15.99 but probably 8.99 again when on sale again.

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/1185680/yakuza-zero
  • ozthegweat 21 Apr 2019 15:56:25 2,238 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buy Danganronpa 1 & 2 (it's a bundle called Reload on PS4 IIRC)!
  • Nades 21 Apr 2019 19:25:29 2,907 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does the pro make the home screen and store faster? Have a launch year PS4 and it always seems really unresponsive and slow for me.
  • chessboxer 23 Apr 2019 14:47:57 336 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    Does the pro make the home screen and store faster? Have a launch year PS4 and it always seems really unresponsive and slow for me.
    I can't say that I've noticed any issues with a lagging PDM or Store but that could be related to HDD performance and I changed the internal drive the day I got my Pro.
  • Your-Mother 23 Apr 2019 16:58:11 2,822 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The PS4 interface is lightning quick compared to Xbox One, which is saying something. Hoping itís something theyíll take notice of in the next gen, but considering how intolerable both the ps3 and x360 ones before them, I'm not holding out much hope.
  • CalamityJames 10 May 2019 08:34:13 238 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A mate came round last night to open up the PS4 Pro and clean out the dust. It'd been running so loud that I was considering buying another, so this was a last throw of the dice, basically (I'd rather avoid replacing current-gen consoles with next gen likely to be just a year away).

I thought the fan was the problem, and it was kinda grubby. But the heat sink... dear god, the heat sink. Photos of both the fan and the heat sink included in this post, I'm pretty sure you'll have no trouble telling which is "before" and which is "after".

I'm pleased to say it's only slightly louder than my X1X now, even when running God of War.

So, if (like I was) you're considering replacing your PS4 Pro because it's too loud, consider getting a skilful pal or an unauthorised (i.e. cheap) service centre to clean the heat sink. Worst-case scenario is that you'll have to replace the console you were considering replacing anyway, best-case scenario is that your existing machine will be nice and quiet for a fraction of the price of a replacement console.

• mrpon 10 May 2019 08:46:48 35,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good lord that looks satisfying! Marjorie Dawes would be proud :D
  • CalamityJames 10 May 2019 08:52:15 238 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In a way it was worse than it looks, that dust on the heat sink had become a mostly solid mass with the consistency of felt (that gap in the dust was, I think, caused by me trying the "canned air through the vents" trick a few days ago: I'm fairly sure it was completely covered before that).

I'm blaming the cat. :)
  • Flying_Pig 10 May 2019 15:31:29 16,202 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doesn't opening the console invalidate the warranty and mean that most retailers won't take it as a trade in??
  • richarddavies 10 May 2019 15:37:30 6,739 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.