Playstation 4 Pro Page 181

• northernlights 2 Dec 2019 12:28:14 1,164 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    I'd say it kinda depends what kind of person you are when it comes to internally justifying that extra money.
    Are you the kind of person who will let the fact that you KNOW you aren't getting the best experience bother you - with just about every game - even though you'd probably not notice (in most cases) unless they were side by side?

Or would that simply not bother you?

Could you convince yourself it isn't worth the extra 100 or so quid? Every time there's a stutter, or a bit of pop in, or the OS ain't as snappy as you feel it should be, or you feel it takes a bit too long to load a level, or the graphics don't wow you like the internets tells you they should... or or or?

Or would all that eat away at you?

And if you are like me.... I mean - ahahaa - like THAT, bear in mind, it's only going to get worse as we approach the end of this generation; any games released next year will be stretching the base PS4 to its limits.

Why would I put myself through that?

You. Why would you put yourself through tha- oh, forget it.
    Haha you described exactly what Iím like
  • dominalien 2 Dec 2019 13:06:40 9,536 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Perfect. Exactly why I donít game on PC.
  • MrAGSystems 2 Dec 2019 15:55:55 817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Got myself a Berry Blue controller in ye olde sales. I love how wonderfully garish it is.
  • MrAGSystems 3 Dec 2019 12:24:54 817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Back to the shop with my fourth new controller in as many days - got a purple one, broken R2, got another one, broken L2 and R2.

Got a refund, went to a different retailer and got a berry blue one, knackered face buttons.

Build quality with Sony really is bad at times.
  • Derblington 3 Dec 2019 18:15:38 32,878 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thatís some exceptionally bad luck more than poor quality control. You must be finding every knackered pad in town.
  • MrAGSystems 3 Dec 2019 23:00:48 817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Probably a case of column A, column B.

I got another berry blue today and it's mint.
  • Derblington 17 Dec 2019 14:54:14 32,878 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
  • pacrifice 17 Dec 2019 15:32:14 5,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    🤔, interesting...
  • MrAGSystems 17 Dec 2019 20:00:24 817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Jesus, the K-D Ratio-tards will gobble that shit down.

Edited by MrAGSystems at 20:00:39 17-12-2019
  • Your-Mother 17 Dec 2019 20:13:24 4,045 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    An OLED screen on the back of a controller with already poor battery life seems like a winning idea.
  • mothercruncher 17 Dec 2019 20:36:32 17,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My cock has always wanted a screen to look at.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 Dec 2019 20:38:27 24,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Must run off it's own battery surely? It would last two seconds running off the pad battery.
  • Frogofdoom 17 Dec 2019 20:49:54 16,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Paddles on controllers are awesome, being able to use face buttons without taking your fingers off the analog stick is really helpful in fps games as you can still jump/slide and aim at the same time.

Screen seems unnecessary though.
  • Derblington 18 Dec 2019 10:27:43 32,878 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago

Highly configurable: A dedicated button allows you to remap back button inputs on the fly, so you are always prepared no matter what game youíre playing. Furthermore, you can save and choose up to three different profiles for use in various games and there is also a headset pass-through for connecting any 3.5mm wired headset to the controller.
    So I'd assume that some form of display is needed for the profile selection, and the button activates the screen so as not to drain battery constantly.
  • Psiloc 18 Dec 2019 10:58:43 5,484 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually a tiny OLED screen like that would be highly energy efficient. OLED consumes power per lit pixel. Once the display went to sleep, it wouldn't consume much (any?) power at all.
  • Derblington 18 Dec 2019 11:05:52 32,878 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's also the cheapest way of getting back buttons, and is guaranteed full compatibility.

I'll pick it up just to see what it's like as a device.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Jan 2020 21:03:35 16,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bit of a random thought...

After seeing the Alienware UFO Concept handheld PC, it got me thinking - if they can squeeze a reasonably powerful PC into a handheld form, why wouldn't Sony squeeze the PS4 hardware into one too?

I know Sony have tried handhelds twice before with limited success (FWIW I loved both the PSP and Vita), but here they already have an incredible line up of games and the PS4 itself was already designed around a mobile chip set. Obviously the handheld wouldn't need the blu-ray drive (download only) and the HDD could easily be replaced with some form of SSD - even if it's just an SD card type affair, so it should be possible.

The other benefit is to extend the life of the PS4 platform itself, as people would continue to buy games for it and (hopefully) developers would continue to include it in their line-up - at least in the short term.

Clearly there would be a cost for the hardware, but provided it wasn't completely outrageous and promised the full-fat PS4 experience on the go - then I'd definitely buy one!

Just me?
  • richarddavies 16 Jan 2020 21:24:50 7,576 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stupid name but theres a handheld called a Smach Z which is essentially a pc in your hand. More powerful than a xbox one or ps4 (well the original ones anyway)
    Few vids of it in action on youtube and they were at E3 so seems like the real deal.

https://www.smachz.com/shop/?gclid=CjwKCAiAsIDxBRAsEiwAV76N8-5DCl4LOVr3I-kjcu9klm9oSwGOlggBB141aQLfMy5EXesKf9ATcBoCzDIQAvD_BwE
  • Flying_Pig 17 Jan 2020 10:38:57 16,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @richarddavies yeah I've seen that. If anything it just reinforces my view that Sony [I]could[/I] make a portable PS4

And considering their buying power and the fact that it's an existing chipset they could potentially deliver it at an attractive price.

I know it'll (probably) never happen, but I can dream
  • Huggybear 14 Feb 2020 15:21:24 1,726 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anyone bought the Back Button Attachment? Just got one, it's quite small and fits snugly.

Probably won't have a chance to try it today though, darn Valentine's Day...
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 15:23:59 18,670 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Anyone bought the Back Button Attachment? Just got one, it's quite small and fits snugly.

Stealth I'm not sad and alone post.
  • Huggybear 14 Feb 2020 15:41:00 1,726 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Huggybear wrote:

Stealth I'm not sad and alone post.
    You're never alone when you have small children.

Sadly.
  • mothercruncher 14 Feb 2020 17:19:39 17,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Even mid wipe.
  • Derblington 14 Feb 2020 18:01:08 32,878 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have just picked one up. Will jump on Apex to test it at some point.
  • chessboxer 15 Feb 2020 04:05:12 368 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Stupid name but theres a handheld called a Smach Z which is essentially a pc in your hand. More powerful than a xbox one or ps4 (well the original ones anyway)
    Few vids of it in action on youtube and they were at E3 so seems like the real deal.

https://www.smachz.com/shop/?gclid=CjwKCAiAsIDxBRAsEiwAV76N8-5DCl4LOVr3I-kjcu9klm9oSwGOlggBB141aQLfMy5EXesKf9ATcBoCzDIQAvD_BwE
    OUYA all over again.
  • Huggybear 15 Feb 2020 14:14:47 1,726 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tested the Back Button thingy for a bit. It's a solid piece of kit -as it should be considering the price- and seems helpful. Set the buttons to left on the arrow keys and Square, so I can toss grenades and reload without taking my fingers off the sticks.

There's definitely going to be a learning period though, it messes up my muscle memory quite a bit.
  • Derblington 15 Feb 2020 15:03:08 32,878 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I set mine to X and Square and found the same. It works but feels weird, and makes me do stupid shit in game, like forgetting where the left trigger is and stuff. Itís strange how an addition on a separate finger can mess with your entire hand.
  • MrAGSystems 15 Feb 2020 17:41:46 817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Nabbed one today myself, about to try it with Titanfall 2 (WALLRUNNING). The reviews didn't lie about it being finicky to attach.
  • MrAGSystems 16 Feb 2020 01:33:37 817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Well, I've had quite a bash at Titanfall 2 with this this evening and the only thing it really does is make the controller remarkably uncomfortable to hold. Plenty of accidental presses too (I guess having almost 30nuears of muscle memory will do that)

Don't think it's for me.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 16 Feb 2020 15:35:48 32,406 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I bought one, though I'm not 100% sure why because I've been comfortable with my ineptness at games my whole life, so I don't think this sort of thing is aimed at me.

I found it weird to hold at first, but got used to it fairly quickly. It's mostly the muscle memory thing that I'm having to unlearn - I had it as reload and melee in Mass Effect Andromeda, then continued to just use the normal face buttons almost every time :p

I like it as a nice little gadget, but it is going to take a little getting used to.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.