Glastonbury 2016 Page 16

Next Last
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jun 2017 15:10:05 25,896 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    He's a very talented songwriter. Modern pop hit machine, think he would have benefited from the full band treatment at glastonbury. Admire him sticking to his roots and as someone who also uses a loop machine it's very impressive how he does it on the fly.
    He's fucking shit.
  • RelaxedMikki 26 Jun 2017 15:12:32 2,990 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @thelzdking

Yup. Jerry Barnes, I think. That whole band just seemed like such nice guys.

Can't have been easy stepping into Bernard Edwards shoes, especially when he and Nile were pretty much soul-mates.
  • RelaxedMikki 26 Jun 2017 15:16:48 2,990 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was convinced something was up with the sound for Ed Sheeran.

His guitar sounded really scratchy, like it was only being picked up through the vocal mic. And when ever he seemed to be setting up a percussive loop by banging on the body of the guitar, the sound didn't seem to be getting through to the TV audio feed? Couldn't hear the beat at all...

...no one else seemed to notice though, maybe he always sounds like that...?
  • Dougs 26 Jun 2017 18:15:49 88,270 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought that too at the start. Then completely switched off..
  • Syrette 26 Jun 2017 19:19:01 50,105 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Chic's bass player is mint.
    He's absolutely incredible. Chic were on 6 Music earlier and I had chills throughout.
  • Saul_Iscariot 26 Jun 2017 22:22:08 3,074 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Radiohead fans.
    There genuinely should be a like button for this comment alone.
  • RelaxedMikki 27 Jun 2017 22:32:53 2,990 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kate Tempest was good.

https://youtu.be/SqVIORPKW0I
  • gamingdave 30 Jun 2017 15:05:03 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not sure I am yet fully recovered, but this year's was a cracker. So much easier getting around than last year, and just being able to sit down made a massive difference.

Radiohead absolutely smashed it. I'm not the biggest fan, I like what I hear, but was never into them when the 1st few albums came out. But they played enough that I knew, and I was with a huge fan, so just watching her grin from ear to ear and bounce like a loon made it even more epic. The sound was stunning, so rich and detailed. Watching it back on TV and I think the BBC captured it well, but it's odd watching it with all the different camera angles.

Foo Fighters, again not a big fan, but know enough. They are what they are, an American Rock Band. Really tight solid players though, and Dave is a cracking front man.

DJ Shadow. Insanely good sound system, not sure I have ever felt bass that good (and I used to go to a LOT of DnB nights). But, it all felt just a bit too like a DJ set with not enough variance from the standard tracks. Still, bloody enjoyable.

Moonlandingz, so so good. Las Kellies were amazing, ridiculously tight and funky. Roni Size did New Forms, and it sounded great, but it really wasn't "live". The Cinematic Orchestra were lovely to just sit and chill too. Walked past Liamís set and the best I could describe it was is limp. I had been looking forward to Angel Olsen, and she was bit of a let down, good enough, maybe I wasnít in the mood.

Loads I had wanted to see (Ride, Kate Tempest, Chic) but didnít get round too, but there is just too much to see and do, and sometimes you just want to sit down and chill for a bit.

Security was slightly up on previous years, with more visible police on site, but getting in was fine on the Thursday. Didnít see a hint of trouble all weekend, which was nice.

The late night areas just go from strength to strength, didnít get to bed before 5am. Somehow managed to be out by midday every day other than Sunday too which was good going!

Overall. Better than Halo.
  • RelaxedMikki 30 Jun 2017 18:31:08 2,990 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @gamingdave

Nice review... I would loved to have been there... maybe one day, when the kids are a little bit older, we'll make it over to Glastonbury....

If you didn't see the Kate Tempest performance, you should check out the videos. She was unrelenting.
  • gamingdave 30 Jun 2017 19:45:21 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki I'll definitely be watching it, but just didn't fancy spending an hour getting depressed. I find the album very hard going at times as it's just so raw and honest. It's a superb album though, and I bet she was amazing.
  • gamingdave 30 Jun 2017 19:46:39 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And just to add, the sound systems there really are incredible. Better than many clubs/venues I've been to and it's (nearly) all outside.
  • Deleted user 30 June 2017 20:21:03
    gamingdave wrote:
    @RelaxedMikki I'll definitely be watching it, but just didn't fancy spending an hour getting depressed. I find the album very hard going at times as it's just so raw and honest. It's a superb album though, and I bet she was amazing.
    I really like her stuff and love what she's doing but it makes me angry to listen to it. Much like how I can't listen to Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave very often. So powerful but not conducive to towing the line.
  • Syrette 30 Jun 2017 20:37:22 50,105 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll never ever get Kate Tempest.

I'm sure she's a great lyricist as I know she does a lot of poetry and playwriting, but I find her vocals excruciating to listen to.

Marmite?
  • elstoof 30 Jun 2017 21:38:43 22,627 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just shite
  • Blurp 30 Jun 2017 21:51:40 1,436 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, she's just shite.
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 Jun 2017 22:02:31 3,074 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surely there are only two types of music. That which you like, and that which you don't? If some one else likes it, then it doesn't make your opinion more right, or less? I have too admit I do not know who this person is, and cannot be bothered to track her music down to give it a listen. But I wouldn't begrudge someone enjoying it.
  • elstoof 30 Jun 2017 22:11:57 22,627 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No tracking down required, simply type the name into the "You Tube" and report back. Let us know if you find it raw end emotional, or the cliched angry voice raging against a machine using tropes so worn out that it borders on pastiche

Edited by elstoof at 22:16:57 30-06-2017
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 Jun 2017 22:39:05 3,074 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She is pretty intense, and raps to the beat. I quite like the three tracks I listened to. I can see why you may find it familiar and playing the part. But I thought it wasn't shit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Jun 2017 23:48:00 9,453 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like her more rap/song based tracks a lot more than the more poemy ones. Both are good but she falls into spoken word artist poetry cadence very easily and after awhile my brain starts to tune out. It's quite singular and without the changes of pace, pitch or tone that come in the more songy songs i think it loses something.
  • mal 30 Jun 2017 23:52:07 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I find she's really stepped up on leaving Ninja Tune and signing to Blue Note. I've really liked stuff off her new album, but found her much like you lot do on previous stuff.

And has someone been playing japes with the thread title, or are we all talking about this year's Glasto in last year's thread?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jul 2017 00:32:47 9,453 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This highlights show on BBC 2 is confirming Laura Marling as my favourite act on the festival coverage
  • Zomoniac 7 Oct 2018 10:12:20 9,938 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone succeed? We had 8 browsers on 6 devices between two of us, never got past the holding page.
  • Zerobob 7 Oct 2018 10:54:15 2,181 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On my phone using 4G I got to the first form TWICE where you enter people's registration numbers and post codes, but got booted from the server both times after hitting the submit button.

Furthest I've ever got, but I don't think I'll ever get to experience Glastonbury, in this lifetime anyway.

Can't help but think they need to introduce a ticket lottery of some kind, whereby friendship groups of 6 tickets are selected at random.
  • thelzdking 7 Oct 2018 11:14:00 9,043 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who's playing?
  • JamboWayOh 7 Oct 2018 11:15:32 11,804 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hasn't even been confirmed mate. The lineup that is.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:16:23 07-10-2018
  • Zerobob 7 Oct 2018 11:17:04 2,181 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only rumours at this point. From what people tell me it's as much about all the other things going on as the music on the main stages.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.