Portable console for all PC games - PGS

First Previous
  • PGSLab 3 Apr 2016 17:55:45 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hello, dear forum users. Soon we are planning to announce the PGS – a portable gaming console with Windows onboard (also comes with Android in Dual boot mode), which will be capable to run all games for PC, including those of AAA class of the current generation.

Currently we are analyzing and testing a prototype of the device and want to be sure that our project is as best as possible, before continuing to its manufacturing and realization stages. To understand that, we are asking for your help, tips, ideas and suggestions.

More information about PGS:

– TECHNICAL PARAMETERS –

CPU - Intelฎ Atom™ x7-Z8750 Quad-Core 2.4GHZ

DISPLAY - QHD IPS 2560x1440 (5.7*) (HD IPS 1280x720 (5.5*) for PGS Lite)

GPU - Intelฎ HD Graphics 600 MHz 16 cores

RAM - 8GB LPDDR3 1600 (4GB LPDDR3 1600 for PGS Lite)

OS - Windowsฎ 10 (64-Bit), Android 6.0

STORAGE - 128GB SSD (64GB SSD for PGS Lite)

COMMUNICATION - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetoothฎ 4.0 + 3G/LTE (without 3G/LTE for PGS Lite)

BATTERY - Li-Po 6120mAh battery (Li-Po 4080mAh battery for PGS Lite)

ADDITIONAL - USB 3.0 Host, HDMI 2.0 Host, 3.5mm combo, Built-in 5.0 speakers (2.0 for PGS Lite), Built-in cam and webcam (8.0MP/2.0MP) (5.0MP/1.3MP for PGS Lite), Second HD IPS display (4*), Telescopic analog sticks (basic analog sticks for PGS Lite).

SIZE - 164.1 x 84 x 1.8 mm (160.0 x 81 x 1.4 mm for PGS Lite)

WEIGHT – 320 g. (245 g. for PGS Lite)

– CHIPSET AND PERFORMANCE –

This device is based on a system with Cherry Trail chipset from Intel and Atom x7-Z8750 quad-core processor as the heart of it, as well as built-in HD Graphics video card of the current generation. Even though the performance level of such system is not as high as for the most advanced classic desktop solutions, it still can run the vast majority of modern games in HD-resolution and minimal graphics level. We didn't want to use processors from Core M line intentionally, because even though the have higher price and power consumption, they are not significantly more powerful than x7. Preliminary tests of our prototypes gave us the following results:

Batman: Arkham City | medium-level graphics, HD-resolution, 27-32 FPS.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance | medium-level graphics, HD-resolution, 30-35 FPS.

Dark Souls 2 | medium-level graphics, HD-resolution, 32-37 FPS.

Mirrors Edge | minimum-level graphics, HD-resolution, 26-31 FPS.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim | minimum-level graphics, HD-resolution, 25-30 FPS.

DmC: Devil May Cry | minimum-level graphics, HD-resolution, 24-29 FPS.

Fallout 3 | medium-level graphics, HD-resolution, 31-36 FPS.

Fallout 4 | minimum-level graphics, SUB HD-resolution, 20-25 FPS.

GTA V | minimum-level graphics, SUB HD-resolution, ultra low patch, 21-26 FPS.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt | minimum-level graphics, SUB HD-resolution, ultra low patch. 20-25 FPS.

Are you interested in FPS rate for any other game? Please, let us know and we will test it and publish results.

– OPERATING SYSTEM –

The main operating system of PGS is Windows 10 (x64). Keeping in mind that our device is using the PC-compatible architecture, you are free to install on PGS not only games, but also any type of software, which was created and developed for PC. The level of performance allows users to run even such demanding programs as Z-Brush, 3D Max, After Effects and many other. It's obvious that you can also install Steam to download and play games from your library. In other words, you are getting not only the functionality of a portable console, but also a mini-laptop, which can be connected to a display, wireless manipulators in order to use it as a basic replacement for your classic desktop PC.

The secondary operating system is Android. Keeping in mind that the device is equipped with a LTE module, you are able to use this device as a high-performance smartphone, call, write SMS and do other things any time when it's necessary.

– RAM AND MEMORY –

The console has 8GB of LPDDR3 RAM onboard, which uses 2-channel mode. Such volume of RAM can't be considered as low even for a desktop, thus, it's not going to affect the performance level of our product. Talking about permanent storage space, we can say that the console is equipped with a SSD-disk of 128GB. A MicroSD card slot allows users to get up to 256GB of free memory.

– COOLING SYSTEM –

This device is equipped with a passive cooling system (a copper radiator, which transmits heat to the case of the device), which allows to avoid processor overheating, as well as one very annoying thing, which is called CPU Throttling. Keeping in mind almost miserable TDP of the chipset, our device will never reach uncomfortable temperatures.

– MAIN DISPLAY –

The main display of the console has QHD-resolution (HD for PGS Lite). Why not FHD? The thing is that HD-resolution is an optimal one for games to play with such diagonal. Only QHD allows showing HD-stream without any distortion, drawing 4 pixels instead of 1 physical. The display is using IPS technology, which provides high brightness and contrast, impeccable color accuracy, short response time and wide viewing angles. All these features are supported with an average level of power consumption and low price of the matrix.

– ADDITIONAL DISPLAY –

We are really proud with the additional (lower) display of our console. It supports HD-resolution and also uses IPS technology. This display can serve as the second monitor (basic Windows functionality), a touchpad and a virtual keyboard. When used as the second display, it can show virtually everything. It can be an image, web-browser, media player and many other applications.

– COMPOSITION AND MATERIALS –

The main materials of PGS are ultra durable plastic and aluminum. Metal is used for all the elements, which require metal, while plastic - for all the elements, which require plastic. A simple and elegant approach.

– AUDIO –
    PGS is equipped with a 5-channel sound system. Even though the device is pretty small, you will easily feel 3D effect in games, which support it. High quality speakers will provide you with crystal-clear and expressive sound, which can fill even an average room or a premise

– CONTROLLING ELEMENTS –

In order to be called a gaming console, especially on Windows, our device needs a full range of physical controlling elements. PGS has all necessary elements, including even analog sticks, triggers and other keys, which are necessary for all the games, which support gamepads. You don't have to spend your precious time, setting necessary keys manually, because all input devices of PGS are using DXINPUT emulation mode.

In order to play games, which don't support gamepads (old games, or RTS games), you can always reassign key actions, making them typical for any PC-keyboard. Analog sticks can also emulate a computer mouse movements and actions. Don't forget that you can use the additional display as a touchpad.

– POSSIBLE PRICE –

We are lucky, because Microsoft graciously gives free Windows 10 licenses for all devices with the diagonal less than 10 inches. Furthermore, very lavish Intel company currently actively subsidizes its Intel Atom processors. All these factors together allow us to choose a price of around 250$ (210$ for PGS Lite).

– POSSIBLE UPGRADES –

Dear forum users, we also want to discuss with you possible upgrades and additions to our console:

Key illumination - this upgrade will not seriously affect the price and power consumption, but will allow users to see keys in the dark.

Color illumination of the device border (similar to Ambilight) – this upgrade will not seriously affect the price and power consumption, but will make it more interesting and attractive for users.

Changing Atom X7 with Core M – this upgrade will seriously affect the price and power consumption, but will increase the performance level by 15-30%.

Changeable accumulator battery - this upgrade will slightly reduce capacity of the accumulator battery.

XL-version of the device in the model range – for those, who want 7 inches.

A pico projector in the higher version - this upgrade will seriously affect the price of the device.

Changing permanent storage with more fast one (500 Mbit/s instead of 150 Mbit/s) - this upgrade will seriously affect the price of the device.

Factory GPU acceleration - this upgrade will increase the performance level by 10-30%, but will also increase its power consumption.

Usage of Amoled matrix instead of IPS – this upgrade will affect the price of the device, but will also increase brightness level of the display.

Additional eINK display in PRO version of the console. It doesn't consume battery when its image is static. Keeping in mind that such display is sensor, it can be used to show keyboard (or any other app or image), which will not affect the power consumption level. This upgrade will seriously affect the price of the device.

– OUR CONTACTS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION –
    Project website - pgslab.com
    Project blog - blog.pgslab.com
    Email – ceo@pgslab.com
    Facebook - groups/1015105911884976
    Instagram – @pgs.lab
    Twitter – @PGS_lab
  • PGSLab 3 Apr 2016 17:56:22 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Out of respect for the forum, I propose to all questions and suggestions to discuss right here.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2016 17:59:03
    Can I play Mario on this?
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2016 18:01:07 91,145 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Jeepers 3 Apr 2016 18:01:37 16,576 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can I use this on my Mac?
  • Jeepers 3 Apr 2016 18:02:28 16,576 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's an iBook with SCSI.
  • neilka 3 Apr 2016 18:05:43 22,564 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can you make a pleasant pine scent come out of the speakers while it's turned on?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 3 Apr 2016 18:31:27 8,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will it run Crysis?
  • mothercruncher 3 Apr 2016 19:12:35 16,287 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "... Metal is used for all the elements, which require metal, while plastic - for all the elements, which require plastic. "

Lay off the sarcasm guys- they've really thought this through.
  • SteveMsater 3 Apr 2016 19:16:45 339 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How does it close with those sticks poking out like that?

I'm not sure this will be a Kickstarter. They might go for the ultimate scam - an indiegogo with flexible funding.
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 Apr 2016 19:32:50 10,924 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll swap you my Barcode Battler for one.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2016 19:33:40
    I'll take 35
  • Deleted user 3 April 2016 20:02:30
    Half life 3 launch title?
  • Saul_Iscariot 3 Apr 2016 20:09:49 3,123 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can I connect it to a mouse and keyboard? Any gamer worth his salt knows that PC games need to be played like spreadsheets. Also, and I connect it to my 4K monitor? Any gamer worth his salt knows that the best way to experience 4K is on a small screen that I'll be sitting away from so as to not get the advantage whilst bragging about it at online forums. Also does it come with Freecell as standard? Any gamer worth his salt knows it is the most played game on the planet and is therefore indicative of what a good game is. Also, can I play Episode 1 Racer online with it?
  • THFourteen 3 Apr 2016 20:15:31 52,235 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To be honest you can do this already to a decent extent using the ipega controller and a 8" windows tablet.

I've found that the atom chips lend themselves well to old games, but old games don't really work well at all with the touch screen or controller and really need a mouse.

Stuff like diablo 2 runs great but you can't play it unless you use joypad mapping and its just not great
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Apr 2016 20:16:11 3,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PGSLab On a serious note what have PGSLab done before? At least with the GPD Win we know who GPD are as they have a lot of previous machines.

What do you think is the selling point of your machine over their one? (With the assumption of prices being similar despite GPD's high estimates). Do you have a fully fuctioning prototype? If so what is the battery life playing a proper game? How about some emulator benchmarks such as PPSSPP, PCSX2, Dolphin (not sure if the latter 2 are really viable on this CPU but benchmarks would still be nice). Even some of the trickier MAME games or Higan (in SNES mode) would be nice to see.

I would like a portable windows machine if powerful enough and at a decent price but waiting for finished models to arrive before making any commitment
  • Deleted user 3 April 2016 20:16:44
    Personally I'm waiting to see what the Coleco Chameleon guys do next.
  • Saul_Iscariot 3 Apr 2016 20:18:29 3,123 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck Won't they match the colour of table that they are left on?
  • mal 3 Apr 2016 20:21:24 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    Sounds cool enough, but after the NX hoaxing, I'll wait and see what happen with this. Its something we could use, to keep old classics alive.
    You can play all of the old classics just fine using DosBox on a Pandora if you wanted to. It's newer AAA titles where this could best an emulator solution.
  • frightlever 3 Apr 2016 21:01:14 1,450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    Sounds cool enough, but after the NX hoaxing, I'll wait and see what happen with this. Its something we could use, to keep old classics alive.
    You can play all of the old classics just fine using DosBox on a Pandora if you wanted to. It's newer AAA titles where this could best an emulator solution.
    Last time I looked Pandoras were stupid money and really under-powered. Are they even called Pandora any more? I though the whole operation collapsed. The German distributor was taking over with a similar product IIRC.
  • mal 3 Apr 2016 21:13:46 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, the original Pandoras got stuck in devlopment hell, but I got mine in 2012 after the german guy picked up development - it has a slight faster core and twice the RAM, but it's still a Pandora.

The guy who rescued the Pandora is now developing a new device called the Pyra with a newer CPU, four times the RAM,more buttons,a better keyboard, a better screen, 4G internet, GPS, basically everything a bit better. It's not even available to preorder yet though, but you can follow the development if you want to.
  • Flying_Pig 4 Apr 2016 16:14:23 16,206 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OK, so this is exactly the kind of thing I'd be after - a small form factor, gaming orientated PC - for me to use on my daily commute. Basically my own successor to the PS Vita :)

However, while there are a lot of things I like about this, I do have some concerns/observations:
    - the performance specs you mention seem to be the bare minimum to make the games you list playable. Sub-30fps on games as old as the ones listed above (and worse on newer games!) suggests to me that the hardware is underpowered and would benefit from the upgraded CPU etc mentioned.
    - I'm no fan of the second screen. I don't think it brings a huge amount to the party and will have an adverse impact on cost and battery life. Converting into a lap-top style track pad seems to be a smarter choice.
    - I wonder if using an OS other than Windows 10 would be better - is something like Steam OS less resource intensive, thus freeing up memory and CPU cycles for games?

But I like it that there seem to be a few such devices coming to market over the next 12 months or so. If the form factor, power and price are right, then I'll be jumping in with both feet :)
  • Deleted user 4 April 2016 16:21:35
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TurboExpress-Front.jpg

Edited by PES_Fanboy at 16:22:12 04-04-2016
  • mal 4 Apr 2016 16:59:26 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    - I'm no fan of the second screen. I don't think it brings a huge amount to the party and will have an adverse impact on cost and battery life. Converting into a lap-top style track pad seems to be a smarter choice.
    Oh, I'd not found that link to that render on my phone. Yeah, that second screen is a bit weird. But a capacitative touchscreen is basically the same tech as a laptop track pad. Personally I want a full keyboard on my handhelds, partly because I don't just play games on them, but there are some games that really need a decent keyboard too (although less these days than there used to be, to be fair).
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Apr 2016 21:07:01 3,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mal GPD WIN has a keyboard where that second screen is. It is a bit lower spec though and due out in October. I expect the actual selling price to be close to the Indiegogo one not the estimated RRP (similar to their other systems which have high RRPs that they are rarely sold at). The GPD XD which the shell appears to be based on was supposed to be pretty decent.

Something like one of these would be cool for older stuff and emulators. One concern with this spec being the top end of the current Atoms is heat and throttling issues.
  • mal 4 Apr 2016 21:27:19 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, the GPD Win would be perfect for me if I actually used Windows any more. The keyboards a bit nuts with that strip of buttons down the right hand side, but I could probably learn to live with it.

I didn't realise this was using an x7 atom, while the GPD device is using an x5 one. Given most phones using these low power atoms have copper strips and heat pipes ahoy and still end up throttling, I personally doubt their cooling solution will work as advertised. Either it'll throttle, or the case will get so hot it can double up as a griddle.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Apr 2016 21:37:34 3,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah. That is one of my fears for them. I think GPD said that you could install your own Linux on their device if you wanted but again there are all the potential hurdles to overcome with heat, pricing, build quality etc to worry about.

The OP not replying again (and I even gave them a sensible reply amongst some of the others) doesn't show a lot of care and I haven't seen any info on this device elsewhere. I have considered some of the Wintabs with gaming controls but they are unwieldy or separate from the device (and getting the right spec for the right price is an issue as a lot of them have paltry amounts of RAM and he batteries don't appear the best.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Apr 2016 00:20:18 16,206 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    At the moment, the best bet for portable PC gaming seems to be a reasonably spec'd ultrabook, but then you'll easily go past ฃ500...
  • superdelphinus 5 Apr 2016 00:34:26 10,057 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Love the idea but I really hoped it was some sort of dedicated streaming thing from a main of rather than trying to run things itself. The performance is already too weak now, let alone for future games
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.