• Mr_Sleep 2 Sep 2018 09:21:33 22,219 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hmmm, have you been to Alfheim?
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Sep 2018 09:22:58 24,172 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Help please chaps!
    I returned to this after several months away and I have not got a clue what I need to be doing.
    I will add spoilers but I'm only a little way in.

I'm at the Snake river/lake area. I think I have been to all the areas I can dock at, in that front is there a way of knowing which ones you have been to ? One has a spirit mentioning his dead mothers grave, but not sure what I need to do.
    I have met the shop dude once again and he mentions a portal,which I used.
    I found a Witches cave but cant get access, it might have been where I came from all those months back ?

...thank you for any help. I will see if I can "get into" later today, otherwise it may get abandoned .
    I think part of the trouble is im finding it hard to get into anything post the sublime Horizon ZD.

No way is this going to be the last post of the previous page, I needs help!!!

@sleep, where now mate ?

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:23:30 02-09-2018
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Sep 2018 09:24:21 22,219 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Reading it again, I think you probably need to head up the mountain, so go through the door on the opposite side of the bridge from the dwarf.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Sep 2018 09:28:48 24,172 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep
    He did mention that. The area I mentioned in spoilers, was there anything I needed to do.
    Cheers

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:29:31 02-09-2018
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Sep 2018 09:31:51 22,219 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not really, it is just a side quest. Was that chap near a waterfall that one jumps through to get to him?

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 09:32:50 02-09-2018
  • Frogofdoom 2 Sep 2018 09:57:04 12,160 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is much better than horizon duff, you should stick with it :)
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Sep 2018 10:38:24 24,172 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Frogofdoom
    Really ? It would need to be turned up to 11 to surpass the mighty HZD.

@sleep, not sure mate...I have just met the little fellows brother, so on the right track.
    Cheers.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Sep 2018 10:42:51 12,160 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved horizon as well (not so much the dlc) but God of war was a massive step up.
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Sep 2018 11:19:37 22,219 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ah yes. You are very early in the game. You will shortly receive quite a dull exposition dump and then you will see what frogofdoom is talking about as he next section of the game is epic.

I also think it is superior to HZD but then I didn't like that very much 😉
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Sep 2018 19:02:42 24,172 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Guys I know you are going to hate on me but for the time being at least I'm sacking of GodOfWar. Just not feeling it. I have just freed the valley area (well about an hour past that), so the extras from Journey can retake up residence.
    I may return but for now I only have enough time in my gaming life for one GOW.

Only 4 days until Spider-man at least.
  • Phattso 8 Oct 2018 15:08:02 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I'm approaching the halfway point with this (just got a shard from a fancy magical Chisel - which is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever typed - and the bad dose of flu that followed I think there's a little comething in my eye) and... I think I'm very much in the underwhelmed camp relative to the expectation I had.

The combat took about ten hours to gel, and it's still a finger meltingly annoying thing to take part in at times. As I get further in I'm sure the combat is going to come into focus more, and I do love the extra dimension of The Boy, but it's poorly explained and badly signposted and the visuals are so murky I sometimes can't tell what it is I'm fighting and therefore how I need to dramatically alter approach (magic vs. blades vs. fisticuffs vs. environment, etc.).

My fave bits are actually the puzzles to figure out in each area, and hunting the secrets. Lewt is a bit lame, but decent enough to tickle my OCD.

There are moments when I think this thing is a tour de force of modern game making, and then there are other times when I can't jump down from something that's six inches high or I hit an invisible barrier and wonder if perhaps they'd taken the 18 months it took to get the fancy camera right, and spent them on polishing out all of that shit it could've paid off more. I'm pretty sure a handful of cutaways wouldn't have delivered a poorer experience. *shrug*

Liking the story at least, and in an unexpected turn for the series there's actually some character development. For sure enjoying it enough to see it through to the credits, but I'm still waiting for it to reveal itself to be the game a number of reviews claimed it to be.

Still, it's churlish to complain that something is merely very, very, good, even if not life changing. :)
  • nickthegun 8 Oct 2018 15:29:31 76,823 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do completely disagree with you about the boy. He's one of the, if not the best, NPCs I've ever come across.

In fact, he's so good you should level him over Kratos initially. Buy all his moves and armour and he's absolutely indispensable.

I really liked the combat. It felt meaty and really fluid, but the boy takes it to the next level. Tbh, he's pretty much a special move. Towards the end all of my combos were based around him.
  • Frogofdoom 8 Oct 2018 15:33:12 12,160 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah the boy is amazing for taking out those flying fuckers, I was having all sorts of trouble with them at first as I wasn't utilising him enough.
  • Phattso 8 Oct 2018 15:35:34 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, sorry, that was a poorly worded sentence. I also love the added dimension The Boy brings to the combat. Most of my encounters are spent spamming the square button. Murder of Crows? Giggling like a fucking infant every time. :)

It's the combat as a whole that I've found a bit muddy and poorly signposted. I couldn't tell you the names of half the bad guys nor what their abilities are until they've started attacking me. Just all looks/looked samey. And given that some are invulnerable to the axe, that can be annoying when there's an arena full of them. I accept that a lot of this is down to my knackered eyes and tiny TV.

Still the more I play, the better I get, and usually a change-up in tactics can unlock a tough encounter. So I'm hopeful I'll be a fan come the end.

Edited by Phattso at 15:49:28 08-10-2018
  • minky-kong 8 Oct 2018 17:22:56 14,111 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I think there's a little comething in my eye
    That might be why you're struggling with the combat, must be harder when one eye is welded shut.
  • Phattso 8 Oct 2018 17:31:54 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh. I did spot that typo and decided to roll with it. :)
  • MrWonderstuff 9 Oct 2018 09:27:07 2,851 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is this a an open-world game or more linear? Just finished HZD and I hear this is better (not sure that's possible as HZD was great).
  • minky-kong 9 Oct 2018 09:59:09 14,111 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First few hours are linear, then it opens up into a hub world game with more freedom.
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2018 10:35:12 76,823 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a mix of both. There's a hub world that allows you to move around freely but sections are gated behind story beats and once youre there, most levels are fairly linear so they can give you big set pieces.

Once done, you can backtrack and pretty much go where you like but it is far more structured than HZD or an assassin's creed.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:35:39 09-10-2018
  • Phattso 9 Oct 2018 11:43:05 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It definitely _feels_ open. There's a world to explore, and it opens up and changes as the game progresses in very interesting ways. Definitely prefer it to HZD so far - the characters actually have character for a start.

Thought I'd been playing for ages, and must surely be heading for the end credits, so had a look on a Wiki and it turns out I'm not even halfway through. There's a lot there even just on the critical path, and plenty to distract.
  • MrWonderstuff 9 Oct 2018 16:28:02 2,851 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cool stuff. Will pick this up when I finish RDR II.
  • IronGiant 9 Oct 2018 20:52:00 5,860 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of the things I really enjoyed with this is the humour, a couple of the characters have some cracking dialogue:)
  • Phattso 9 Oct 2018 23:33:16 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @IronGiant yeah, I can say with some certainty that it’s the first game I’ve played with the word “bawbag” in it. Instant win.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Oct 2018 07:47:31 14,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Niflheim seems to be a clear example of a section that would make the game better if it was removed.

I also need to figure out how to kill a Soul Eater without getting hit.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Oct 2018 08:03:48 14,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff

Structurally the game is like a many legged spider.

You start at the end of one leg and walk towards the centre, (the lake). Once there you can explore a number of the other legs at your own speed and find side quests, (favours).

The story will send you to the ends of different legs and doing so will often unlock other legs that can be accessed from the lake.

The legs have hidden passages and secrets within themselves. So although ultimately linear branches they are not straight corridors.

There are also warp gates that let you return to the centre of the lake.
  • Phattso 18 Oct 2018 12:18:09 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Welp, I've 'finished' this now. Not sure how long it took, probably in the 20-25 hour range. Still not sure how I feel about it. It's good, clearly, but there's a lot I really didn't enjoy in there. Story and pace were MUCH better in the first half, because by the end I was begging someone to take the story out back and put me out of its misery.

When it was just punting about on the boat having adventures, the game exuded a peerless sense of place. Real atmosphere. When it started running me through its Hollywood gauntlet towards the end it became a lot less interesting.

Luckily it looks like the endgame is basically all about punting around having adventures, so there's a good chance I'm gonna rinse it... if for no other reason than there are two entire (probably small) realms I haven't even been to yet!

The combat did finally gel, although at a certain point the boy was just a magic spell rather than a person. It would've mechanically functioned just as well without the boy at all, but of course I'm glad the game made it a person. It still seems excessively convoluted, but then this isn't really my genre so it's probably the Fisher Price of combat and I just don't realise it.

Anyways, alongside Destiny 2 this has been the only other new 'blockbuster' type game I've played this year. I'm not unhappy with the choice. :)
  • monkman76 18 Oct 2018 12:27:25 14,366 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I felt similar. It's extremely well-made and pretty enjoyable. 8/10 for me.
  • Phattso 18 Oct 2018 14:48:06 24,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I think even with the things I didn't like I wouldn't go lower than an 8/10. But it could've been a straight up 10/10... I can feel that game in there at times.

I can imagine it has people who feel that about it though, given that there are some crazies who feel that way about Horizon: Zero Personality. :)

Wonder if they'll do story DLC for God of War though? I'd wonder at a sequel, but given this took them five years and we're barrelling toward the next console generation I won't hold my breath for one any time soon.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Oct 2018 16:48:25 40,109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Agree with both of you. Solid 8/10, but not the übergame for me. It also felt way too - sorry, gamey. Hey, you‘re 5000 miles from home, look, here are some puzzles you can only solve with a frozen ax... OH WHAT ARE THE ODDS.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.