God Of War 4 Page 60

• ChiefGB 18 Oct 2018 18:53:46 10,209 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For superior to hzd for me, which just didnít gel for me. Thought this was ace. Rinsed it fairly hard on the way to completion in the month after release. But I didnít go back for the wrapping up bits which was a bit stupid as it will be the hardest stuff and Iíll be out of practice
  • IronGiant 18 Oct 2018 22:36:07 5,860 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    10/10 easily for me, took my time with it and am still playing it now. One of the very few games I want to platinum.
  • Phattso 20 Oct 2018 22:51:39 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Holy. Fucking. Shit. The endgame content is amazing - I'm probably enjoying it more than the main storyline! Kudos to the devs, shame most people will just move on after the credits roll.
  • Phattso 5 Nov 2018 10:37:00 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, I've almost rinsed the endgame content. Muspelheim was great fun, but Niflheim is the absolute winner here. I've gone from cowering neophyte, to grinding full laps with no sweat and a shit-eating grin. Got myself up to Level 9 and a quarter or so. Not sure how/if I can get to 10.

The Platinum is just within reach, but requires me to find two or three artefacts and a bucketload of Odin's Ravens. Fuck that for so-called fun.

Great game though. Pretty much tided me over since later September, and making it one of my ten for the year made me play it loooong beyond the point I'd usually have put it down (i.e. after the credits roll) in fact I've probably spent more time mopping up in the end game than I did playing the story. I thought I might do an NG+, but that's not really my thang.

Still not sure where all the drooling over the visuals/tech was coming from. It's very good, and with the exception of the "fast" travel never really pissed me off technically, but even at the end after dozens of hours it can be hard to see what's going on in a big dust-up which is a bit of a no-no. It's not apples-to-apples, but there was nothing in God of War that was more impressive than the second Tomb Raider reboot, for example, or Horizon: Zero Dawn. *shrug* .

Certainly not a bad looking game, and very impressive at times to look at, but its quality lay in the intertwining systems, the linear loot system that didn't feel linear, the snaking (heh) level designs, etc. etc. Highly recomeeded, if not essetial for me.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2018 11:47:38 76,796 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think ur tripping, bro. HZD is a handsome game but this is a level above.

And, yeah, the endgame stuff is pretty good. Grinding fart clouds to unlock the rifts was a good time sink but I just couldn't be bothered to grind materials to make the better armour sets, especially the fire stuff.

Tbh, that was my only real complaint about the game. I know they don't want to hand it to you on a plate but the material requirements for a lot of armour is just tedious.
  • Phattso 5 Nov 2018 11:49:50 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah - I decided to settle on a couple of the sets that complemented my play style and leave it at that.

I might be mis-remembering HZD, but certainly the TR reboot (I played on PC) was spectacularly pretty. I thought HZD was wank as a game, mind you. God of War takes a mighty shit on them all as an experience.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Nov 2018 13:12:01 18,502 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I thought it looked quite a bit better than Horizon and was probably the best looking game I'd played until RDR came out. I haven't played the last 2 Tomb Raider games though.
  • Phattso 5 Nov 2018 13:35:57 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I appreciated the cleaner aesthetic of H:ZD more than the mess that was GoW. Character detail is lightyears ahead in the latter though, as are the animation and the atmospheric effects. The world though? 50/50 for me. Parts of it were staggering, parts of it were almost last-gen. Inconsistent, I guess would be my conclusion there.

That said, we're debating whether these things are amazing looking or STONKINGLY amazing looking. None of them are shit.

I've been surprised with the RDR2 ebullience, too. The vids I've seen don't really sell it to me on the visuals side, so I guess you have to soak up the atmosphere to really 'get' it. I do likes me a nice skybox, mind you.
  • Gibroon 5 Nov 2018 14:19:38 2,115 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd agree with phattso on this one. Although GoW looks better in some ways, it looks flat in parts. Horizon has a better overall look, is properly open world and has a far more dynamic lighting and weather system. GoW felt more like smaller contained parts that are joined together.

I was gobsmacked a few times with horizon but not so much GoW.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Nov 2018 14:26:03 18,502 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I've been surprised with the RDR2 ebullience, too. The vids I've seen don't really sell it to me on the visuals side, so I guess you have to soak up the atmosphere to really 'get' it. I do likes me a nice skybox, mind you.
    Yeah I wasn't expecting much from it from the videos but it's frequently absolutely jaw dropping to look at.
  • Phattso 6 Nov 2018 10:03:58 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Holy dogs shitting themselves out of their own ears! That final final Valkyrie... what a pain in the hole.

What I think is going on: basically an amalgam of all the previous Valkyries' attacks, with a fucktonne of health, and the inability to chain four cheap Runic attacks right at the beginning.

Looks doable, but probably requires more patience than I'm willing to bring to the party. :)

Just one more batch of Mist Echoes to farm in Niflheim so I can do the final Tear there, then I reckon I'm done with the game. Chuffing fantastic.

What's the story (heh) with DLC? All those inaccessible realms in the realm room can't just be there for decoration one presumes?
  • nickthegun 6 Nov 2018 10:16:23 76,796 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My top tip is to go for armour with maximum cooldown assist.

I beat her by freezing time, hitting her with all four specials, running around like a gimp, freezing time, hitting her with all four specials....

I wish I had recorded it actually. The five consecutive specials looks literally godlike.

And I'm assuming everything you can't access now will be opened in the sequel. Storming Asgard is too big for DLC!

Edited by nickthegun at 10:17:37 06-11-2018
  • BigOrkWaaagh 6 Nov 2018 10:23:39 8,445 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Phattso You just need a lot of patience. Concentrate on staying alive first and foremost - keep your health topped up as much as possible. If you're thinking about attacking but a potion just spawned, forget the attack and grab the HP instead. Also you want to be countering her attacks rather than attacking first because you will get countered and die. If you're level 9/10 it should be very doable :p
  • Phattso 6 Nov 2018 10:49:05 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh aye, patience feels like the watchword. It's a massive step up in difficulty. I steamrollered all but one of the basic Valkyries (Eid) so it was something of a wakeup call.

@nickthegun I'll try that time stopping thang, which I just got from one of the other Valkyries. It'll mean giving up the one with three sockets which'll drop me from Level 9 back to 8 mind you.

I guess since it has been seven months since launch there's no DLC coming at all for this?
  • nickthegun 6 Nov 2018 11:45:04 76,796 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't look like it, thank god. I think NG+ is probably your lot.

You also need to upgrade the hilt for max time stoppage and if you stack your supers right, you should get three and a bit in before it runs out.
  • Phattso 6 Nov 2018 11:49:05 24,470 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've basically rinsed the rest of the game, so having materials for upgrades shouldn't be a problem. :)

I'll dedicate my next sesh to trying to beat her, and if no luck I'll just move on. Thanks for the tips! Fingers crossed.
  • vanDevious 6 Nov 2018 16:57:44 360 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That little squirrel/rat thing I found put me over the top for beating that boss. Getting an extra spartan rage or two out with the added healing from it.
  • spindle9988 9 Nov 2018 11:18:37 4,848 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After finishing spiderman my pal at work kindly brought this in for m e to play.
    I am playing on the pro with my 4k TV and just wow. I am only about 4/5 hours in and have already been blown away by presentation, combat and general gameplay.

It took me a while to stop playing like a god of war game (rolling about everywhere) but once you get the combat down it is so much more rewarding than the hack slash combat from the previous games. (which I still love).

Can't wait to finish work and get back home to play.

"You are not ready boy"
  • dominalien 16 Nov 2018 14:51:06 9,045 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    slotxo999 wrote:

slotxo ez2 play
    Finally! I've always wanted to, but they were just so damn hard.
  • Yautja_Warrior 7 Dec 2018 08:56:08 82 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well the correct game won at the Game Awards. God of War GOTY 2018, congrats to Sony and Santa Monica.
  • Big-Swiss 4 Jan 2019 08:02:35 9,345 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    fired this up yesterday

can feel, that this game will be a Special one.

anybody else found the game at the start overwhelming, and that there isn't much info for all the stuff you can do?

also, the combat controlls are speacial, well somehow it feels like a FPS System to turn around during combat? just have to get used to it, or is there useful advice?
  • Frogofdoom 4 Jan 2019 08:32:32 12,149 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You will get used to it fairly quickly Swiss, I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you level and use BOY because he is incredibly useful and it's best to get into the rhythm of using him early on.
  • Big-Swiss 4 Jan 2019 08:33:06 9,345 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ok, cheers
  • RighteousPickle 4 Jan 2019 08:42:58 105 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The special moves are fairly simple button presses once you get them - hold L2 and press and press R1 or R2 etc. There's loads more I've hardly used actually. Practise throwing you're axe and getting Boy to throw arrows too.

I think I'm about halfway through. Great fun, I've cranked the difficulty to max now for more intense fights, I wouldn't do that for a while though, if at all, because it's just annoying when you're under levelled.
  • Big-Swiss 7 Jan 2019 07:58:27 9,345 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    wow, this game is something. Absolutley one of the best games I have ever played since I became a gamer.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2019 07:09:56 740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Got Sigrun left to beat. I only tried the once last night, and managed to get down to the last quarter of her health. That was basically me running around and button mashing ha.
  • Big-Swiss 14 Jan 2019 07:28:52 9,345 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I needed 4 tries, then she/he was down!

this game was a great journey, loved every second!
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2019 19:44:53 740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think Iím on the 6th try haha
  • SnackPlissken 15 Jan 2019 19:13:19 740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think I need to over level myself to 8 to beat Sigrun. My cool down is high, but could be more. I just keep getting down to the final quarter of her health, and it just gets far too intense and I die quickly.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.