Following Clarkson, Hammond and May - The Grand Tour Page 3

• Deleted user 11 May 2016 16:38:29
    James wanted to call the show Nigel or Roger

EPIC BANTS
  • hillbilly66 11 May 2016 17:58:13 3,150 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ascerbic vinegar to cut through the bulllshit and tell it like it is. Modern heroes to a man. Black people really are all like that :)
  • beastmaster 16 Sep 2016 09:45:41 19,231 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trailer here. Not much but looking forward to it.

Edit: 18th November is when it airs.

Edited by beastmaster at 09:46:34 16-09-2016
  • YenRug 4 Oct 2016 13:08:08 4,553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2016 13:38:06 32,229 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was going to say it could do with less laughter track and James Corden, until it popped up at the end that it was The Late Late Show rather than a clip of The Grand Tour, so both of those things are okay :)
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 14:43:58 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Interesting feedback from someone in the audience for GT.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5412/dear-europeans-please-stop-talking-and-listen-to-me-now

It sounds like their humor is as edgy as ever. Where ever do these comedy genius's come up with such gold.

Edited by glaeken at 14:44:50 04-10-2016
  • Deleted user 4 October 2016 15:10:03
    His detailed instructions on how to change gear manually sounds about as needlessly complicated as user Mal's guide to eating a sandwich
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 15:25:38 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That parts aimed at American's as a manual qualifies as an exotic car in the US. The Reddit car forum where I found this link is mainly populated by Americans and there are always loads of threads about how to drive a "stick shift".

The whole rev matching on downshifts is pretty much bollocks for normal everyday driving anyway. Has anyone ever driven in a manual car with someone who did this who was not a tit?

Edited by glaeken at 15:26:01 04-10-2016
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2016 15:34:45 89,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They were me thoughts exactly! No-one does that apart from nobbers.
  • MrMattAdz 4 Oct 2016 15:35:06 3,671 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair my instructor did teach me to shift like that when I learned a few years ago, mainly so when you go into first or second gear from a higher gear the engine braking isn't so sudden, but then you do that mostly by bringing the clutch back up slowly, the throttle input is basically unnecessary.

Saying that, the reason the writer of that article put it in was basically because it lowers the risk of an accident when you downshift while driving a 500bhp sports car quickly round a corner, not sure how relevant that is to a beginner...

Edited by MrMattAdz at 15:37:21 04-10-2016
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2016 15:48:10 15,770 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do people really think Clarkson and co's humour is "edgy"?
  • LittleSparra 4 Oct 2016 15:52:13 7,926 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some do. Tbh I quite happily divide the world into three: Those who don't even know who they are, those who think they're actually funny, and then sentient people who like good comedy.

Edited by LittleSparra at 15:52:35 04-10-2016
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 15:54:06 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrMattAdz It's relevant to racing powerful manual cars. Which is irrelevant to the driving virtually all of us actually do.
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 15:58:30 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As for Clarkson's humor it's edgy to people who are easily offended and like very old jokes/stereo types that were lame 30 years ago. Personally I find it very weak sauce.

Keep in mind the author of that article is American so their opinions on humor are not really valid (channeling Clarkson)

Edited by glaeken at 15:59:53 04-10-2016
  • MrMattAdz 4 Oct 2016 16:06:22 3,671 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think you're thinking about heel and toeing, which is a form of it but not what I was talking about, and on the face of it, without reading his guide I don't think he was talking about it either.

Heel and toe is when you brake with the toes of your right foot and use your heel on the throttle to rev match, and yeah it's irrelevant to the driving we all do in day to day normal driving. But if you're downshifting on the motorway or into a low gear it's good practice to try and rev match as it will make your driving much smoother when doing so. It's unnecessary sure in your average car, but if I was a passenger I'd appreciate the driver making an effort to make things a bit smoother.

Edited by MrMattAdz at 16:06:48 04-10-2016
  • Goban 4 Oct 2016 16:12:29 9,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My old man used to double de-clutch but that went back to the days before synchromesh.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2016 16:14:44 15,770 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    As for Clarkson's humor it's edgy to people who are easily offended and like very old jokes/stereo types that were lame 30 years ago. Personally I find it very weak sauce.

Keep in mind the author of that article is American so their opinions on humor are not really valid (channeling Clarkson)
    It's interesting. I often find him offensive, but I wouldn't consider it edgy. It's like Jim Davidson or someone like that.

I find someone like Frankie Boyle or Louie CK much more edgy, and considerably less offensive.
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 16:17:38 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrMattAdz I have never had to rev match on downshift when slowing down on the motorway. If I am slowing down on the motorway it's because I have had to brake for something and so I am already slow enough that rev matching is not needed in the gear I might down change into. I am changing gear because my slowing down has taken me out of the optimal range where the engine makes torque.

Rev matching in my understanding is more about maintaining speed and not losing too much speed due to engine braking due to a down shift. It just does not fit with everyday driving as if I am down shifting it's virtually always because I am slowing down for something. In racing it makes sense you actually want to lose as little speed as possible during a down shift which is likely to be happening for cornering.

I was not referring to heal and toeing.

@Goban double de clutching is a valid technique but only because on non synchromesh cars gear changing is pretty tricky if you don't. It's not really been a relevant skill on a car made in the last 50 years though. Possibly your Dad learnt to drive on a fairly old car. I know my Dad did as their first car was an Austin 7.

Edited by glaeken at 16:21:51 04-10-2016
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 16:25:51 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal I would agree it's in the same area as Jim Davidson type humor but I just find it so weak and obvious I really can't get offended by it. It's like casual racism in OAP's. I can't get offended by it as it's just people from another age out of touch.
  • Goban 4 Oct 2016 16:29:22 9,974 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @glaeken that's what i meant.
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 16:32:22 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah just stating the obvious while I was pontificating.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2016 16:33:05 15,770 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal I would agree it's in the same area as Jim Davidson type humor but I just find it so weak and obvious I really can't get offended by it. It's like casual racism in OAP's. I can't get offended by it as it's just people from another age out of touch.
    Yeah, I get that. It's more that I'm offended they think I'll find them funny. Perhaps insulted is a better word.
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 16:39:05 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's way to complicated for me. So your offended that they think what they are saying you might find funny? Do you get offended a lot?

Maybe I just have a very high threshold for what might offend me. I actually don't think I have been offended this century. It's possible I guess but I don't remember it.
  • MrMattAdz 4 Oct 2016 16:43:44 3,671 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @glaeken There are reasons outside of braking why you might downshift though, like if you wanted to overtake something but you were cruising in a high gear. If you downshift, rev matching will make your driving smoother, it's not necessary and it isn't unsafe if you don't do it in a normal car, but it does make downshifting smoother.

Just bringing up the clutch slowly will gradually bring the revs up and match it to your speed while not having the sudden and uncomfortable engine breaking you would get if you bought the clutch back up quickly while downshifting, and I'm sure that's a common technique in your daily driving. All blipping the throttle does is make this action a bit smoother and easier on the clutch.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2016 16:51:16 15,770 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    That's way to complicated for me. So your offended that they think what they are saying you might find funny? Do you get offended a lot?

Maybe I just have a very high threshold for what might offend me. I actually don't think I have been offended this century. It's possible I guess but I don't remember it.
    Again, perhaps offended isn't the right word. It's whatever the humour equivalent is to having your intelligence insulted basically.
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 16:52:03 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrMattAdz I understand the theory. I just don't do it and it's never cause me any issues.

In your example if I need to down change to accelerate it indicates I am already outside of the optimal part of the torque curve and if I do let the clutch out reasonable slowly it's going to be a smooth change. In that instance I may even be rev matching to an extent without even being aware I am doing it. I have been driving manual cars 30 odd years now so a lot of things have become part of my motor skills and I am probably not even aware I am doing it.

Edited by glaeken at 16:52:27 04-10-2016
  • Deleted user 4 October 2016 16:54:28
    The TG humor is offensive to me in terms of how unnecessary and lazy it is, I don't think anyone watches it going "GET THE FUCKING MUSLIMS JC, SKEWER THEM ON YOUR WITTY SWORD" so its really just as simple as reductive rhetoric to gain PR from the Guardian.

Plus Hammond is a little cunt
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2016 17:05:21 12,031 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's certainly lazy and lacking in creativity. It's also a little depressing that it seems so popular.

I think really it's only the term offensive that I was hung up on. I really dislike how people feel over entitled to be offended. Not that I think that's where You-can-call-me-kal was actually coming from. I was just off on a rant.

Edited by glaeken at 17:06:18 04-10-2016
  • MrMattAdz 4 Oct 2016 17:13:05 3,671 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @glaeken Yeeah I would agree that 99% of the time you don't need to do it, I barely ever do it myself and if my instructor hadn't taught me to drive like that I imagine I'd never bother with it at all. And I guess for me it's more of a consideration as I'm driving a petrol 1.1 litre clio that sits at 4000 revs at 80mph in it's highest gear, and downshifting by one makes your revs jump by nearly 2000 as it's pretty short geared so downshifting isn't always the smoothest of experiences lol :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.