Following Nioh Page 175

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Apr 2019 13:36:59 20,123 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also make sure you're fighting revenants for the hot lootz.
  • Rodderz 19 Apr 2019 13:59:58 3,951 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I ended up with a full set of Kuro Garasu armour at the end of Nioh. It looked awesome, especially the red eyes mask with hat:

https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/file/nioh/kuro_garasu_set.png
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Apr 2019 14:33:31 32,256 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ooh, the buffs work when you're not using a weapon? Nice.

Noted on the axe. The life on hit ability it has is quite useful though. Quite liking the Kuri sword. You can take out those annoying crawling things in one mad flurry before they have a chance to bite your face off.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 May 2019 15:38:43 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, just finished the initial London Tower mission and have to choose my starting weapon.
    Thinking of going with dual swords, any reason not to?
  • Blackmarsh63 12 May 2019 20:42:01 2,434 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I think one of the big criticisms of Nioh is the deluge of gear that drops. You'll definitely have no problems changing weapon if you fancy trying something different as you progress.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 May 2019 20:50:39 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I think one of the big criticisms of Nioh is the deluge of gear that drops. You'll definitely have no problems changing weapon if you fancy trying something different as you progress.
    Thanks, I went with dual swords as primary and twirly thing as secondary plus shark. Just got to first altar so trying to decide how to level up.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 20:58:26 5,981 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I'd try to keep one weapon with a longer reach. There are a few bosses (think regular sized humans with swords, but insanely strong) where being able to jab them from outside their weapon range is really useful.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 May 2019 21:22:21 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I'd try to keep one weapon with a longer reach. There are a few bosses (think regular sized humans with swords, but insanely strong) where being able to jab them from outside their weapon range is really useful.
    The Kusarigama should be ok, no?
  • nickthegun 12 May 2019 21:33:39 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nah, you want to be behind them, right up their arses. You get a damage bonus for attacking from the back, so you should always be trying to dodge behind them and attack.

I went with dual sword and it's a good skill tree but I don't think there's a bad option other than the axe.

Edited by nickthegun at 21:34:38 12-05-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 12 May 2019 21:39:42 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Nah, you want to be behind them, right up their arses. You get a damage bonus for attacking from the back, so you should always be trying to dodge behind them and attack.

I went with dual sword and it's a good skill tree but I don't think there's a bad option other than the axe.
    only with the Kusarigama ?

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 21:42:08 12-05-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 21:46:58 5,981 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I used the Odachi for most of Nioh when I played it on PC. On PS4, I'd been using Katana and Spear and having a horrible time. The Odachi just clicked with me. The number of fights where I just wore the enemy down by keeping them at the outer-edge of my attack range and chipping away their health while they swung at me and whiffed...
  • nickthegun 12 May 2019 22:49:10 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There's a passive skill in the kusarigama tree that gives you a buff, but all passive skills are universal to all weapons, so you can use what you like. From there most weapons and armour will drop at least something with a buff on it.

At one point I was doing about 30% more damage from behind with the dual swords until I went all in on sign of the cross.

Plus, if you're behind them, they can't hit you.

Edited by nickthegun at 22:49:50 12-05-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2019 08:13:58 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There's a passive skill in the kusarigama tree that gives you a buff, but all passive skills are universal to all weapons, so you can use what you like. From there most weapons and armour will drop at least something with a buff on it.

At one point I was doing about 30% more damage from behind with the dual swords until I went all in on sign of the cross.

Plus, if you're behind them, they can't hit you.
    Thanks.
    I like the speed of the dual swords so should I go for skill at the beginning till I play around more with other weapons more. I can level up 3 times just now. Or better to put it into Spirit??
  • nickthegun 13 May 2019 11:13:40 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can't tell you how to play, but once you pick a weapon, still look at other skill trees for passive skills.

Initially, I would, if you are going dual swords, put enough points into guardian spirit to unlock the first tier buffs, points into magic to unlock sloth and a few other spells, enough into strength to get you carry weight to 70% and a couple into ninjitsu to unlock a few skills and then pour everything into the two scaling stats.

Early on, dual swords is good because it doesn't use much Ki, so if you have an elemental weapon, just go into low stance and spam light attack.

Further on, it's a skill based weapon, so you will want to be doing windstorm and sign of the cross all the time.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 May 2019 11:16:41 32,256 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've hit a bit of a roadblock in this, trying to duel some annoying guy with a sweet helmet.

I would use the item that lets you quit out, but I totally forget to spend the 35k of amrita I have before going in...
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 May 2019 11:19:12 32,256 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Interesting to see how my knowledge of it has improved though. Ended up grabbing it on PS4 for 8 quid, as I struggle to motivate turning on my PC a lot of the time, and I breezed through Big Balls, Flying Umbrella Lady and Lightning Pig without dying once this time through.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 11:31:09 20,123 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah he's pretty tough. You'll have a lot of these types of duals though so it's kind of teaching you how to do them.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 May 2019 11:38:21 32,256 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had him down to *this* much health at one point yesterday, then he creamed me with a mental combo. So I quite rightly threw my toys out the pram and quit.

I'm just struggling to read when to dash with his annoying charge / lunge move. I'll get there. Eventually.
  • nickthegun 13 May 2019 11:49:17 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One of the most important things is understanding the incredibly poorly described stat bonuses.

Like change to attack. If you are dual swords, you want Change to Attack - Skill as you should have a high Skill stat. It's pretty useless on an Axe.

And if you are using skills a lot in combat, you want a lot of Skill enhancements to buff your damage and a guardian spirit that enhances it.

Guardian spirits are actually pretty powerful when you work them out. They can buff the right build massively.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 12:26:19 5,981 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is this the Tachibana Muneshige fight? That's a really tricky one and it blocked me for a whole afternoon on PS4 when I first did it, until I eventually just got him down through sheer bloody mindedness.

Coming back to it on PC, I got him down in 2 or 3 tries. Using the Odachi as my main weapon and being able to keep my distance a bit from him made things much easier.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2019 12:34:05 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I can't tell you how to play, but once you pick a weapon, still look at other skill trees for passive skills.

Initially, I would, if you are going dual swords, put enough points into guardian spirit to unlock the first tier buffs, points into magic to unlock sloth and a few other spells, enough into strength to get you carry weight to 70% and a couple into ninjitsu to unlock a few skills and then pour everything into the two scaling stats.

Early on, dual swords is good because it doesn't use much Ki, so if you have an elemental weapon, just go into low stance and spam light attack.

Further on, it's a skill based weapon, so you will want to be doing windstorm and sign of the cross all the time.
    Thatís very helpful, thanks a lot.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 May 2019 13:08:02 22,669 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I've hit a bit of a roadblock in this, trying to duel some annoying guy with a sweet helmet.

I would use the item that lets you quit out, but I totally forget to spend the 35k of amrita I have before going in...
    You could grab the 35k and homeless bone out of there, I can't quite remember what it is called in Nioh or whether it works in boss arenas but I would have thought so.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2019 22:58:28 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I made a wee bit of progress, got Spirit to 11 which I think unlocked my shark passives, put one point into Skill. Came across my first Yokai monster and managed to use my Living Weapon to kick it's arse and get the key to the residence. It's bloody good so far, that Souls tension with cracking combat.
  • nickthegun 13 May 2019 23:05:51 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry, I didn't realise you had literally just started. Also put some points into heart or you will die very quickly.

Edited by nickthegun at 23:06:07 13-05-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2019 23:10:10 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't realise you had literally just started. Also put some points into heart or you will die very quickly.
    Thanks, think I have enough amrita/stones for a level or 2.
    How do I unlock skills? Does that come later?
    I just unlocked something where I can have 0.5% bonus to a few things such as amrita returned.

I'm clueless.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 23:31:26 5,981 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Nioh has systems layered on top of systems on top of systems.

Half of them are irrelevant until NG+.

This is why I rate The Surge marginally above Nioh on the Soulslike table.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2019 10:37:48 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got some Samurai Skills as I found some locks of hair. I take it that I use them to get skills but only at the end of a level?
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 10:46:21 78,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You get a skill point per level up or increasing your weapon proficiency. If you level up magic, you get a magic skill point, if you level up ninja, you get a ninja point and so on.

You can spend then pretty much whenever.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2019 11:25:43 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You get a skill point per level up or increasing your weapon proficiency. If you level up magic, you get a magic skill point, if you level up ninja, you get a ninja point and so on.

You can spend then pretty much whenever.
    Cheers.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 May 2019 23:23:14 26,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I managed to open the door close to the ship to get back to pray and Level up, stats are as follows:
    L12
    Body 6
    Heart 9
    Stamina 5
    Strength 5
    Skill 7
    Dexterity 6
    Magic 5
    Spirit 11

I can now level up 6 times, as nicktehgun suggested, I'l get some magic for sloth but I can't get sloth till I do some Mission.
    So, get magic to 11 so I'm ready to setup spells as soon as I get past that mission or concentrate on Heart and Skill just now??

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.