Nioh Page 176

• Armoured_Bear 17 May 2019 14:35:21 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daytime bump
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 14:40:47 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Grabbing levels in Nioh isn't too difficult. Focus on the stats that benefit your style most for now. It's not hard to grab a few more levels to get your magic up once you're close to getting sloth.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 May 2019 14:55:12 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Grabbing levels in Nioh isn't too difficult. Focus on the stats that benefit your style most for now. It's not hard to grab a few more levels to get your magic up once you're close to getting sloth.
    So, Heart and Skill for the moment. Cheers
  • nickthegun 17 May 2019 15:14:54 77,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have a few goes at killing big balls. If he one shots you, put a few points in body, if you are constantly running out of stamina, put a few into stamina.
  • Bichii 17 May 2019 15:56:17 1,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some.youtube nioh ninja recommended getting everything to 10 first then concentrate on what you want. I tried this again last night. I have no idea why but I'm fully disabled on this where from software games I pretty easily destroy. I honestly can't get on with it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 16:24:34 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii The "stance dance" is hugely important in Nioh and there's no real parallel to it in the From games (beyond switching between single-handed and dual-handed). Once you master stance dancing, a lot of the rest of the combat system falls into place.
  • nickthegun 17 May 2019 16:36:19 77,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You don't really have to even do that. Once you get Ki pulse on dodge, you generally get a decent boost after most attacks.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 May 2019 19:58:13 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Bichii The "stance dance" is hugely important in Nioh and there's no real parallel to it in the From games (beyond switching between single-handed and dual-handed). Once you master stance dancing, a lot of the rest of the combat system falls into place.
    What is stance dancing?
    I know to change my stance to be more or less offensive and depending on the height of the attacker. Is there more to it?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 20:05:39 19,710 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You don't really have to even do that. Once you get Ki pulse on dodge, you generally get a decent boost after most attacks.
    Yeah I barely used stance dancing. Low stance, light armour and ki pulse on dodge and you can be a perpetual dodge and attack machine.
  • Addy__ 17 May 2019 20:08:08 677 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I don't think I changed stance once when I played through it blindfolded using a Gibson X-Plorer as my controller.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 May 2019 20:24:17 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It's basically the art of knowing when to switch stance during combat. This is crucial to taking down enemies quickly and effectively, particularly as you get onto the game's harder enemies.

Take the basic horned-oni, for instance - one of the more common demon-type enemies in the game. You can deal huge damage to it and temporarily stun it by breaking its horn. That's much easier to do if you're using an overhead strike - which on most weapons is going to mean high stance. Problem is, using high stance all the time on that enemy is going to expose you to all kind of risks. So knowing when to switch into high stance to land the couple of strikes needed to break the horn, before switching back to something safer, is key.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 May 2019 20:49:53 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear It's basically the art of knowing when to switch stance during combat. This is crucial to taking down enemies quickly and effectively, particularly as you get onto the game's harder enemies.

Take the basic horned-oni, for instance - one of the more common demon-type enemies in the game. You can deal huge damage to it and temporarily stun it by breaking its horn. That's much easier to do if you're using an overhead strike - which on most weapons is going to mean high stance. Problem is, using high stance all the time on that enemy is going to expose you to all kind of risks. So knowing when to switch into high stance to land the couple of strikes needed to break the horn, before switching back to something safer, is key.
    Awesome, thanks a lot for your help.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 May 2019 11:31:09 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I neede quite a few goes but eventually killed big balls then got over cocky on the next mission and lost a shitload of amrita in proper Souls fashion :(
    Headshotting with the bow is immensely satisfying :)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2019 22:58:16 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can see me rage quitting this for god, Hino-enma is fcking impossible for me.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2019 23:07:00 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear She's a big difficulty spike, but she's doable.

She actually has a very small moveset and most of her moves have a very reliable counter. This fight is all about learning her moves and learning when it's safe to attack.

Also a good fight to learn how to block. The bosses up to this point have been big on the unblockable moves. Hino-enma is less so. She's actually quite Dark Soulsy in that respect.
  • Frogofdoom 22 May 2019 17:18:01 13,216 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nioh 2 looks to have multiple playable characters including a female priestess. Also can transform into a demon.

There is a new trailer showing alpha footage and a closed alpha. Go find it yourself you lazy buggers.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2019 17:26:37 19,710 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Get in my belly. How do you get into the alpha then?

• Frogofdoom 22 May 2019 17:42:28 13,216 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think its already full, there will be an open beta later i guess
  • nickthegun 22 May 2019 18:01:08 77,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shame. The demo builds completely sold me on the first one, despite the awful, awful weapon degradation.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2019 18:06:46 19,710 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good chance we'll get it this year if they're testing now though. They better get some nunchucks in this time.
  • Malek86 22 May 2019 20:30:30 8,442 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got into the alpha for some reason. Weird, since I didn't apply for any invite, never even bought the game.
  • JonFE 22 May 2019 21:09:21 1,930 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Not sure if you're still stuck but here are a few tips:

1) Antiparalytic Needles (or their Ninjutsu counterpart, Shikan-Gan Pills) are pretty handy to have around just in case she nails you with her paralyzing shockwaves, pretty sure you can also use them when fully paralyzed to cure it.

2) A few Shuriken/Kunai to the face when she's in the air shooting at you will cause lots of Ki damage to her and can even drop her to the ground and stun her momentarily. Just be careful because iirc when she gets up from that she'll try a strong health-draining grab.

3)Using Lightning on your weapon not only deals good damage because of weakness but can also hit her with a debuff that slows her down a good bit, including her attacks, as long as you land enough attacks to trigger it.

Learning how/when to use items on general can be game-changing for a few bosses, there's a side boss in the first region that can be almost completely cheesed by a specific talisman and another tough boss later on (the Umi-Bozu) can be burnt down rather easily with Hyotokko Masks as long as you can dodge its attacks.

Of course, if you're already doing any/all of the above, I'm sorry, just thought I'd give my two cents :redface:
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2019 21:26:56 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Not sure if you're still stuck but here are a few tips:

1) Antiparalytic Needles (or their Ninjutsu counterpart, Shikan-Gan Pills) are pretty handy to have around just in case she nails you with her paralyzing shockwaves, pretty sure you can also use them when fully paralyzed to cure it.

2) A few Shuriken/Kunai to the face when she's in the air shooting at you will cause lots of Ki damage to her and can even drop her to the ground and stun her momentarily. Just be careful because iirc when she gets up from that she'll try a strong health-draining grab.

3)Using Lightning on your weapon not only deals good damage because of weakness but can also hit her with a debuff that slows her down a good bit, including her attacks, as long as you land enough attacks to trigger it.

Learning how/when to use items on general can be game-changing for a few bosses, there's a side boss in the first region that can be almost completely cheesed by a specific talisman and another tough boss later on (the Umi-Bozu) can be burnt down rather easily with Hyotokko Masks as long as you can dodge its attacks.

Of course, if you're already doing any/all of the above, I'm sorry, just thought I'd give my two cents :redface:
    Thanks a lot, I have the Magic thing to reduce paralysis and poison but doesn't help much, a couple of hits and the bitch kills me.
    I'll have another go.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2019 21:28:49 19,710 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just run in a big circle avoiding all her shit and wait for her dive attack.
  • nickthegun 22 May 2019 21:48:31 77,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gimme an S
    Gimme an L
    Gimme an O
    .... and so on and so forth...
  • uiruki 22 May 2019 21:52:36 4,816 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Closed alpha for the sequel running from this weekend. Hopefully more info at E3?

Guess it's a case of 'if you're in you're already in'.

Edited by uiruki at 21:55:02 22-05-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2019 21:54:24 19,710 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Gimme an S
    Gimme an L
    Gimme an O
    I'm hoping they take it out of the sequel. Then all my mad skills will be worth it.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2019 22:15:54 26,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Gimme an S
    Gimme an L
    Gimme an O
    Can I get that yet?

The bitch usually kills me in one or two hits.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 May 2019 22:26:49 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear No, you can't. One of my frustrations with this game was that so many people tell you to get that magic for this fight, but if you're on a standard first-time NG playthrough, you can't get it for some time after that mission.

If you summon in another player as help, they may well have it. It makes the fight trivial. But the skills you learn doing this fight properly will be needed later on.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 May 2019 22:42:07 32,224 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    She gave me issues for ages.

Sprint away from her when she's moving around by holding down circle. She won't catch you.

If she hovers, she'll do one of two things. She telegraphs her purple magic ball thing with a noise, so dodge that. She makes a different noise if she chucks the paralyzing knives, these can be fully blocked.

When she dive bombs, dodge it and use that as an opportunity to attack.

If she makes a lunge whilst your sprinting around to try and bite your face off, use the prolonged animation of that to attack.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.