Following Nioh Page 211

• nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 09:33:01 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The ice level is great. Good boss, too.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Apr 2020 09:42:20 24,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the subtle foreboding music that kicked in halfway through the level.
  • OllyJ 9 Apr 2020 09:49:53 4,747 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

- The two difficulty spikes that are there are worse than anything in the first one
    - A *lot* of recycled content
    care to spoiler tage the spikes?

Also with Re-use, is that really a bad thing all things considered? For a game of that size I dont mind seeing some stuff carried over if it means they as a dev team can focus on making the new stuff really good.
  • OllyJ 9 Apr 2020 10:04:33 4,747 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I liked the subtle foreboding music that kicked in halfway through the level.
    Really love how the map music ramps up throughout the duration, by the end it's just full on READY FOR WAR.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 10:26:50 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    care to spoiler tage the spikes?

Also with Re-use, is that really a bad thing all things considered? For a game of that size I dont mind seeing some stuff carried over if it means they as a dev team can focus on making the new stuff really good.
    Snake boss and Shibata. I think they have patched Shibata since I beat him, but they were by far and away the worst in both games. Snake boss just has too much health for that stage of the game and Shibata being able to one shot you is just infuriating.

Big Balls was hard but forced you to get used to the game. He wasnt so bad once you got used to Ki pulse, same with Hino Enma. These two are just bullshit from start to finish.

And with the recycled stuff, sure it pads out the size but it also draws attention to it feeling like DLC. There are nowhere near enough new enemies, so all the old tactics work and tacking on old levels as sub-missions I felt was a bit of an eye roll, but you could make an argument for it being an homage, I suppose.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 10:30:38 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I mean, dont get me wrong, its still probably my favourite game maybe even of this gen but there was nothing like that 'oh shit' feeling when you met a new enemy in the first one.

'Oh, its a ninja yokai'
    *steams straight up to it, breaks horns, drains ki, chops into pieces*

Edited by nickthegun at 10:30:57 09-04-2020
  • wuntyate 9 Apr 2020 10:43:22 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun Heh, must be your build. The screaming banshee women, the four armed warrior cunts and the namahage mess the shit out me every time I face them.
  • wuntyate 9 Apr 2020 10:47:26 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm just about to start mission 2 on area 6. Mission 1 was fucking brilliant design. Utterly fantastic. The only weak point for me so far has been the cowpider and the level recycling, but the latter is a small complaint as I don't mind revisiting some areas that much really. I now am at the stage that I have about 16 or so various elemental shots I can fire at enemies so it's very easy to get them confused and just charge in. Sloth coupled with the Flying Bolt attack coupled with lightning buffs means I can pretty much slow something down to a near standstill if I want as well. Which is handy, because of my old crap hands.
  • Rivuzu 9 Apr 2020 11:07:15 18,378 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't think Shibata was all that bad. It's a small area, but when he charges you can either dodge or counter hit to break his tusks.

None of the bosses are terribly bad. All unique fun challenges.

Slightly bored of killing Otakemaru now though. I think my kill count is in the triple digits by now.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 11:20:53 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    the four armed warrior cunts
    They were enemies in the DLC from the first game. They have stones in their back, so you dodge their first attack, break the stones and murder them.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 11:21:44 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    I didn't think Shibata was all that bad. It's a small area, but when he charges you can either dodge or counter hit to break his tusks.
    I had B agility, so I suspect, if you had a ninja build, reacting to his bullshit grab was a bit easier.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:21:52 09-04-2020
  • Rivuzu 9 Apr 2020 12:26:47 18,378 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @nickthegun I think I did first time coming up against him, and that was all dodging. I'm preferring a medium armour hybrid right now (B Agility) and maybe it's only the experience I've amassed but every time he charges, you can counter hit with a high strong attack to shatter his horns. Both in Yokai realm and outside. Once you can time it, he's one of the easier bosses because he basically has no Ki ever.
  • OllyJ 9 Apr 2020 12:42:45 4,747 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't think there were any spikes worse than Umi Bozu the big ship eating water slime boss and the thousand eyes mission with the Kelly clones from Nioh 1.

Snake boss was brutal but probably have me about as much trouble as the horse boss in Sekiro. By the time I got to shibata I was a kunai throwing test so he barely registered.

The big tree with the hut on its back fucked me up a bit because ninjitsu wasn't mega effective and you still needed to follow a pattern
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 12:44:52 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The problem, really, is that with my build, you have to be up in his grill all the time, which means every dodge needed to be on point and he has such high health, I would inevitably fuck up dodge #45.

And then you get him down to a sliver of health but by then hes charging around non-stop which makes it very difficult to whittle that last bit of health away.

As I said previously, this is the boss I had most trouble with in any of the games and the only one I summoned for. I would have cracked it eventually but it wouldnt have been particularly satisfying and i just wanted it dead by that point.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Apr 2020 12:49:05 24,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That flying bat lady cunt from the first gave me more trouble than anything I've encountered so far in 2.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 12:49:05 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    I don't think there were any spikes worse than Umi Bozu the big ship eating water slime boss and the thousand eyes mission with the Kelly clones from Nioh 1.

Snake boss was brutal but probably have me about as much trouble as the horse boss in Sekiro. By the time I got to shibata I was a kunai throwing test so he barely registered.

The big tree with the hut on its back fucked me up a bit because ninjitsu wasn't mega effective and you still needed to follow a pattern
    This is where it gets pretty build specific, I suppose so you can get unlucky. The guy who I summoned for Shibata was also a ninja build and just rained kunai on him. But, conversely, I didnt really have any trouble with umi-bozu because I had fire-buffs and a fire guardian spirit by the time I got to it. I just had to avoid his bullshit, one shot laser blast.

Same with the tree guy. Watersword can destroy one of his fists in literally two seconds flat. I beat it first time and the whole fight barely lasted a couple of minutes.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 12:55:54 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Basically, this:

https://youtu.be/DgL_B361VRA?t=495
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Apr 2020 12:56:50 24,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh also that cunt in the long grass.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2020 12:59:40 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That was hard, harder than any of the human enemies in Nioh 2, but it was a good, enjoyable fight.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Apr 2020 13:02:27 24,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm finding I'm rinsing through the human enemies easily on this. Skills I've picked up in the first one I imagine.
  • OllyJ 9 Apr 2020 14:00:58 4,747 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kurasigama. Serpent Strike+Footsweep+final blow on ground...Any revenant practically killed with the sequence.
  • wuntyate 9 Apr 2020 15:01:34 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    the four armed warrior cunts
    They were enemies in the DLC from the first game. They have stones in their back, so you dodge their first attack, break the stones and murder them.
    Ah really? I don't remember them. Right, cool I'll get behind the fuckers.
  • wuntyate 9 Apr 2020 15:03:11 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought charging tusks guy wasn't too bad. I'm finding with the exception of one or two, most bosses are going down second or third try, occasionally first. Which is a major step up from nioh where i thought some were utter ballaches. That giant toad fucked me up more times than i care to think about.

Edited by wuntyate at 15:03:24 09-04-2020
  • wuntyate 10 Apr 2020 00:51:28 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahhh now behave. mezuki and gozuki? That's just cruel.
  • chrisno21 11 Apr 2020 00:17:25 2,286 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saw the credits tonight, final boss was the easiest of the lot. All kodama, springs and soul cores before the end too so only the weapon grind left in terms of the plat (and a mission or two).

Have Odachi'd my way through it all so the grind may be long.
  • sid92 11 Apr 2020 09:54:27 3,539 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    chrisno21 wrote:
    Saw the credits tonight, final boss was the easiest of the lot. All kodama, springs and soul cores before the end too so only the weapon grind left in terms of the plat (and a mission or two).

Nice dude, I managed all Kodama and springs but not all souls cores not sure what Iím missing.

I also Odachiíd pretty much all the way, tried a few different weapons since but the only one I have enjoyed anywhere near as much is Spear.

Hatchets are pretty cool though.
  • chrisno21 11 Apr 2020 09:58:11 2,286 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm dabbling with hatchets and the throw feels great and OP. There is a list somewhere of the soul cores, the tricky one are the three human cores (three colours) and for me the magitami warrior didn't drop for a while.
  • Bichii 11 Apr 2020 10:11:29 2,869 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    chrisno21 wrote:

Weird, nioh was like that as well where the last boss was ridiculously easy compared to bosses that came before.
  • sid92 11 Apr 2020 10:37:17 3,539 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    chrisno21 wrote:
    I'm dabbling with hatchets and the throw feels great and OP. There is a list somewhere of the soul cores, the tricky one are the three human cores (three colours) and for me the magitami warrior didn't drop for a while.
    Ah yeah the three different mortal cores, not sure Iíve had the feral one (blue) definitely had the other two.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2020 11:11:14 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have you got the kodama soul core? Thatís probably quite easy to miss.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.