Family Holiday Destinations

• CompetitiveDad 6 May 2016 12:37:42 8,158 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking to book a Holiday abroad for next year for a 5 & 2 year old with Mammy & Daddy.
    Have any Eurogamers got any recommendations from past experiences for a resort or a place they've been.

Many thanks.
  • Zeffi 6 May 2016 12:41:42 1,015 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ISIS... everywhere.
  • monkman76 6 May 2016 12:45:59 14,838 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Croatia's beautiful. Fly to Split, find a villa somewhere nearby on ownersdirect or holiday lettings or one of those types of website. We stayed in Okrug Gornji, which is about a ten minute taxi drive from the airport and is a nice laid back resort.
  • DJCopa 6 May 2016 12:59:01 1,992 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Euro Disney for me - Whilst not everyone's cup of tea, the look on the kids faces is priceless and not something that will last forever.

My kids are same age - we have been last 3 years (they go free until 6 or 7 I think).

Obviously, not a cultural or beach holiday so depends what you want....
  • Zeffi 6 May 2016 13:02:45 1,015 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Would help if you stated your budget. What type of holiday are you looking for?
  • Not-a-reviewer 6 May 2016 14:54:57 5,771 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Budget is important otherwise I'd suggest Waikiki

Edited by reviewer at 14:55:11 06-05-2016
  • Mageme 6 May 2016 15:45:23 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We've booked a Eurocamp holiday around Perpignan for beginning of June. Will report back for sure if it's any good for young (2-4) kids.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2016 16:34:13
    Vegas. Sell the kids and put it all on black

ALWAYS BET ON BLACK
  • Trafford 6 May 2016 16:53:08 8,372 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Barbados, a shabby 3 star beachfront hotel on the west coast.
    I did that 5 years on the bounce during more stable times.
  • Alastair 6 May 2016 17:58:17 23,700 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mageme wrote:
    We've booked a Eurocamp holiday around Perpignan for beginning of June. Will report back for sure if it's any good for young (2-4) kids.
    Went to Argeles with Eurocamp a couple of times. Had a great time.
  • Mageme 26 Aug 2016 15:26:07 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just realised I'd not reported back on the Eurocamp experience!

Anyway, the Eurocamp (Le Palmeraie) holiday in Southern France was above expectations. Really enjoyable! Went at the beginning of June when it was quiet but starting to get hot. The accommodation (permanent trailer home) was clean and good for a family of 4 (gas BBQ provided!). There was no TV which was an initial shock but good in a way; the reception had board games if necessary (I trounced the wife at Monopoly four times (alas, not a euphemism...)).

The site was small but clean and had adequate facilities (small shop on-site but a big supermarket 5 mins drive away), lots of kids play areas, pool was great (very clean), restaurant average (but you'd likely go out for food or cook yourself) and about 15 minute walk to the Torreilles beach (coarse sand though). There are some interesting nearby towns (Perpignan, Argeles, Collioure) and it's a pleasant region to drive around. The locals typically respond in French even though they can speak English but they do appreciate you trying to speak the lingo first; really pleasant and helpful folks. Don't know what it would be like in peak holiday season, probably a nightmare, but all-in-all, I'd recommend this one!
  • Alastair 26 Aug 2016 16:09:08 23,700 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    As I said above, I went to Argeles a couple of time in peak season. Busy but good.
    I would generally recommend Eurocamp for families. I have been away with them 5 times now (plus once back in 1981).
    At some of their sites they offer free kids club stuff. A lot of campsites so their own clubs too, and the animation teams will speak English
  • Mageme 26 Aug 2016 16:44:11 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another recommendation: avoid Pontins Holiday Park at Camber Sands. Like the plague.

I went there last week (a Sun deal that the brother-in-law gave me, thaaanks) and not wanting to sound like a snob, I think this place only appeals to a certain class of folk. Chav-tastic for some!

Facilities and accommodation are dirty, old, broken and dated, queues everywhere for everything and extra payments for everything, even electricity. Because you're living in communal blocks, kids will be playing out late at night which is not good for younger kids who need to sleep.

The staff were pretty good mind but they have to work in terrible conditions and put up with a load of shit from customers. Even if you're on a shoestring holiday budget, avoid and save your money for something nicer.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.