Civilization 6

First Previous
  • faux-C 11 May 2016 16:32:08 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just announced! Launching in October! Exciting!

More here : http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civilization-6-release-date-gameplay-system-requirements
  • X201 11 May 2016 16:37:54 20,571 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sold
  • mattshark 11 May 2016 16:44:57 820 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    YAY
  • basmans_grob 11 May 2016 16:49:57 1,487 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So that the 22nd and 23 booked off already.
  • Whizzo 11 May 2016 16:52:36 44,805 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Battlefield 1 and Civ on the same day, fucking hell.
  • disusedgenius 11 May 2016 17:10:35 10,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Map-placed city improvements? Tech trees based on resources and actions? Sounds good to me!

Edited by disusedgenius at 17:11:40 11-05-2016
  • oldskooldeano 11 May 2016 17:14:04 2,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hrrrnnnnnghhhh!
  • FWB 11 May 2016 17:18:38 56,337 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Map-placed city improvements? Tech trees based on resources and actions? Sounds good to me!
    Wrapped up in a Sean Bean.
  • HelloNo 11 May 2016 17:32:00 2,173 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Excellent, impressed they found somewhere to go after Civ 5.
  • magicpanda 11 May 2016 18:09:00 15,018 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sheen Shaun Bean Bawn!

I do love it when companies announce games and there are only a few months to wait.
  • THFourteen 12 May 2016 11:18:50 53,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Better AI?

Guess not.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2016 15:34:23
    The new features sound interesting, and the announcement that most of the Civ V add-on mechanics (religion, tourism, etc.) will be in from launch is making me hopeful.

But yeah, the AI.

If there's no specific mention of very solid improvements in that area, I might just skip this one. I've played V a lot, but at a certain point the shitty AI just ruins the challenge. On the higher difficulties, you struggle a bit in the beginning as you compensate for the many bonuses the AI gets, but after that it's virtually impossible to lose unless you try. Upping the difficulty even more just ups the AI bonuses and postpones this shift, but you never get the feeling you're playing against a smart opponent. Or a reasonable one, lol.
  • opalw00t 4 Aug 2016 10:39:24 12,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Over an hour of footage!

• DrStrangelove 28 Sep 2016 18:50:24 15,102 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Details on the mechanics are emerging, and they're looking good. One of Civ 5's greatest problems was the warmongering diplomatic effects of starting a war, which was an utter mess that led to allies denouncing you when you declared war on someone they're at war with and such. The new system seems to be a bit more intelligent, counting in all sorts of factors for if starting a war will be forgiven or not. For example, and much needed, going to war with someone who aggressively converts your cities may be tolerated by other civs.

Religion has become more powerful too, making concentrating on religion a viable path to victory. A religious victory condition is now included that's similar to BNW's tourism, if your religion becomes dominant in all other civs, you win.

• LittleSparra 4 Oct 2016 15:49:36 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow, civ 6 sounds pretty clever with its emergent narratives!
  • DrStrangelove 4 Oct 2016 17:45:17 15,102 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are more changes to things many didn't like about Civ 5. First, global happiness is gone, each city has its own happiness level, affected for example by a lack of housing. No longer your whole empire suddenly suffers a crippling penalty once one city has grown by 1 citizen too much. Also, there's no such strict one-unit-per-tile mechanism anymore, you can combine certain sorts of units (within reason).

Some early testers also say it feels very deep from the start this time, as opposed to some previous instalments that could feel minimalist/barren before expansions arrived.

I don't want to spend this sort of money on a game again, but iirc Civ games take pretty long before they go on sale. I also know myself well enough to see that one evening I'll be drunk and want to play it NOW and buy it anyway, so I guess I can as well pre-order the digital deluxe edition.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:46:11 04-10-2016
  • Deleted user 4 October 2016 17:59:21
    There goes three years of my life.
  • disusedgenius 4 Oct 2016 18:00:05 10,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, there isn't a single thing I've seen or read about this game that doesn't make it seem like a better version of V. And I really like V!
  • JoeBlade 4 Oct 2016 18:57:55 4,899 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The districts are the most profound and difficult to grasp new feature according to most people I've seen review the game on YouTube.

It doesn't merely mean a choice between a fairly wide array potential uses for a city tile rather than one of two or maybe three improvements, you also have to take adjecency into account.
    It appears planning city layouts is a real challenge indeed in Civ VI.
  • BeebleB 4 Oct 2016 19:37:34 1,324 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Should be interesting. Hopefully they'll be lots of different ways to play and not one way that's so effective you can't not use it.
    Still playing civ 5 on and off but will pick this up at release.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Oct 2016 19:52:49 15,102 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    The districts are the most profound and difficult to grasp new feature according to most people I've seen review the game on YouTube.

It doesn't merely mean a choice between a fairly wide array potential uses for a city tile rather than one of two or maybe three improvements, you also have to take adjecency into account.
    It appears planning city layouts is a real challenge indeed in Civ VI.
    Aye, it seems to be a very drastic change that adds a lot of depth and strategy. Really looking forward to it.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Oct 2016 19:56:43 15,102 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BeebleB wrote:
    Should be interesting. Hopefully they'll be lots of different ways to play and not one way that's so effective you can't not use it.
    Still playing civ 5 on and off but will pick this up at release.
    From what I've picked up, different Civs are more different from each other this time, which is great. Also, with religion becoming more powerful and such, there should be more possible paths for your civ to follow.

iirc they also said at some point that certain civs aren't damned to following one certain path like they have been before. As in, no early-conquest civ that becomes useless in the mid-game and so on.
  • JoeBlade 4 Oct 2016 20:06:42 4,899 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I looked it up and found a good source (in the Steam community of all places): apparently leaders have two unique traits - civ & leader specific - plus a unique unit and unique infrastructure.

On top of that they have an agenda/ambition, one historical and known to everyone and one hidden and randomly picked.

So plenty of potential for leader diversity allright.
  • disusedgenius 4 Oct 2016 20:09:02 10,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love that they're seemingly not hiding as much information with this version - that transparency about some of the agendas etc should really help get a feel for what's going on.
  • JoeBlade 4 Oct 2016 20:26:37 4,899 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What I like most about this game thusfar is that it seems very complete even long before the first expansion.

In previous versions I usually got the feeling Firaxis deliberately left out features so they could put them in again further down the line... for a price.
    This time around we get pretty much everything present in previous Civ games from the get go. If they expand on the game I suspect it'll only/primarily be more of what we already know (new wonders, units, maps, leaders, ...) rather than game changing concepts.
  • Skirlasvoud 4 Oct 2016 20:33:03 4,039 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago

My god the music changes over time!

I'm going to buy this on the first day. I'm trying to supress hype, but I feel like they've put in enough work to be worth it on that day. No more waiting 2 years until they complete it.

*Sigh* Remember Beyond Earth Skirlasvoud... Don't fool yourself

Alright, so maybe I'll wait for reviews, but not waiting more than a year.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 20:33:11 04-10-2016
  • basmans_grob 4 Oct 2016 21:07:09 1,487 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hope they have sorted the end game crawl out.

I'm with Drstrangelove, I might as well prepared cos I'm buying it no matter what.
  • THFourteen 4 Oct 2016 21:09:38 53,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Only real question is, whether to take the day off or not!
  • LittleSparra 4 Oct 2016 21:19:01 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As someone who played, and adored, Civ 4, but then haven't touched a Civ since because EUIV appeared and blew every other strategy game out the water for me, can anyone familiar with Civ 5 and what Civ 6 sounds like suggest if I might enjoy it?

I'd love to get back to Civ as Civ 2 and 4 are easily two of my all-time favourites, but perhaps my tastes have changed... :(
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.