Gran Turismo Sport Page 75

• superdelphinus 3 Mar 2018 10:39:13 9,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It dominated the whole board yesterday, in the Mecca of speed.
  • superdelphinus 3 Mar 2018 10:40:12 9,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you transfer ‘919’ into heiroglyphics it translates to ‘speed’
  • Captain_Toad 5 Mar 2018 13:09:20 582 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ordered a GT Omega wheel stand to go with the G29, although it's not due in stock until the 15th. Will let you know if it's any use or if it's a steaming pile of metal dung.
  • IJ 5 Mar 2018 13:22:14 941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Really enjoyed the Vulcan at Monza last night. The breaking zones were so far forward of normal, it was fun trying to pick out the new spots. For the first chicane I was breaking at the second 'orange mark' on the left. Initially, I hated it, but was a fun fresh challenge. It wasn't the best for my SR though, very tough for everyone to gauge their breaking points so almost everyone in the three races I was in ended up with a negative SR.
  • Beccosinho 6 Mar 2018 12:49:40 655 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Really enjoyed the Vulcan at Monza last night. The breaking zones were so far forward of normal, it was fun trying to pick out the new spots. For the first chicane I was breaking at the second 'orange mark' on the left. Initially, I hated it, but was a fun fresh challenge. It wasn't the best for my SR though, very tough for everyone to gauge their breaking points so almost everyone in the three races I was in ended up with a negative SR.
    Yeah, I stayed away from that one for that reason alone - it was very difficult to gauge the new braking zones for the Vulcan. That said, is it me or does it handle really badly? It supposed to be a track car but handles more like a round car...

Edited by Beccosinho at 13:34:55 06-03-2018
  • IJ 6 Mar 2018 12:58:29 941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Beccosinho Hah yeah it was a bit of a dog. But it was so different it was a nice fresh challenge. I actually ended up improving my SR through the races, the first few corners were a nightmare but then the racing was actually fine as so many people screwed up there was a lot of space between cars after the first lap. But then I did well and was near the front, I'd image at the back it might have been a nightmare. At Monza I often see people just going straight at the first chicane, taking the 25s penalty but over the whole race it averages out to be not a bad move. You won't win, but you might come top 3 or 4 with a good SR. Not done that myself yet though.
  • Beccosinho 6 Mar 2018 13:37:46 655 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jimmac fancy seeing you today buddy - the French guy tapped me and I got given a 5 second penalty, somehow he got away with nothing. From there my race went to pot :rolleyes:

2nd race was good though, close but I won - I guess that evens things up :)
  • jimmac 6 Mar 2018 14:17:37 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Beccosinho Yeah, nice to finally meet someone in a Sport race. I ended up not too bad from where I started but also got shunted at Paddock which lost me a place but then I tapped some guy right after at the hairpin which I got a 4 sec penalty for.

Can't complain really. I shall try again tonight. Your lap time is pretty decent though. I haven't quite found my rhythm yet.
  • Beccosinho 6 Mar 2018 17:19:06 655 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jimmac wrote:
    Can't complain really. I shall try again tonight. Your lap time is pretty decent though. I haven't quite found my rhythm yet.
    Thanks - it was half decent...
  • jimmac 7 Mar 2018 10:22:50 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm really struggling with consistency in GR3 at the moment which is leading to poor qual laps and poor race results. It seems to coincide with changing to the Ferrari which I found good around Yamigawa when I first swapped into it but Brands and Panorama were hopeless.

I did 10 qual laps around Brands yesterday which resulted in 1 cleanish lap. In the Z4 that probably would have been 9 clean laps.

Should I just stick with it or try something else? I hate giving up on something especially when I really like driving the car.
  • Beccosinho 7 Mar 2018 11:38:47 655 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jimmac I'd say stick with it, however, certain cars just suit certain tracks and while I also like the 458 GT3 - I just can't be consistently good with it at my favourite tracks, which is probably just a balance issue that can be resolved using brake bias.

I think once you get use to one car, your style of driving changes to meet its needs - so think its just a case of practice, practice, practice until you get use to it and know exactly which brake bias to use for each track, and what you have to do differently to get the most out of the car around certain circuits. For example: I couldn't work out which was the best balance for Brands Hatch to get that time I got yesterday and then bingo, realised what was happening with the car, shifted the brake balance to -2 (I'm usually +3/4 at most other tracks) and boom - found the extra grip I needed.
  • dsmx 7 Mar 2018 12:19:19 8,250 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not sure I'll ever manage that online ever again, a clean race bonus at monza and fastest lap in my g.4 f-type. Surprising since I'm crap but I'm quite pleased with my sub 2 minute time.

It's also surprising since I did intentionally ram into the side of a megane driver who had been using my car as his brakes the whole race.

On the subject of gr.3 cars I've found finding a car you like the handling of is more important, I enjoy the corvette. It's not the fastest but it's pleasant to drive round in and has no nasty handling characteristics allowing me to put in consistent laps, maybe not the fastest laps but with time.

On the subject of brand hatch, it's only the first corner I've needed the brake bias to the front, It's to keep more of the vehicles weight over the front wheels which maintains better grip with the front tyres.

Every other corner I don't need to do that but the combination of the braking zone, turn in point and most importantly the crest of the hill I have no choice.

Edited by dsmx at 12:30:19 07-03-2018
  • jimmac 7 Mar 2018 16:22:43 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ran a couple of races at lunchtime and experienced the new penalty system for the first time. What a load of absolute bollocks. No wonder people are coming to a stop going round corners.

If you don't bleed off the penalty very quickly it starts adding seconds on constantly. I just let it keep climbing but then it threatens you with disqualification. What a terrible idea. They seem much harder to get rid of as well.

I only got a penalty cos I ran in to someone slowing down mid corner to bleed off their penalty.
  • shamblemonkee 7 Mar 2018 16:42:52 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @jimmac I got a 1.5 sec penalty at blue moon earlier when someone turn in on me.... I had to pull over immediately.

It's to far a swing in the other direction. Nice idea but the algorithm for blame isn't robust enough
  • jimmac 7 Mar 2018 18:14:08 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For me it's not even the blame. Making people slow down so quickly is just dumb whether they are to blame or not. I thought the system worked alright before, they just needed to work on the blame bit a little.

Now it's just mental. Penalties causing penalties due to the ridiculous piling on of extra seconds. So what if you don't get rid of them immediately or at all. They get added on anyway. It was bad enough before with people stopping on the start line but you learned to watch out for that. This is unavoidable stuff.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2018 18:37:05 15,284 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah they've went way too far the other way. Someone mentioned changing to drivethrough penalties which I think could work. People having to slam on the brakes in the middle of the race is just stupid.
  • Beccosinho 7 Mar 2018 21:55:01 655 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they've got a few problems with the new system but it is heading in the right direction but what I think needs to be done:

1) stop the penalty prejudice - DR A/S ranked players get sterner penalties :rolleyes:
    2) Take the sensitivity down a notch and develop a better algorithm that works out whose fault the contact was in the first place
    3) If they plan to stick with the idea of having to serve your penalty promptly - have some sort of warning system that lets the car behind know the driver ahead needs to serve a penalty or just have system like the one in GT5 or 6 (can't remember) where you are automatically slowed down and ghosted. Simples ;)
  • dsmx 7 Mar 2018 23:45:18 8,250 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would rather you couldn't ever get rid of time penalties and just add them to your final time, but make it clear what time penalty they will have on the split times.

If the event features a pit stop then I'd let them have a choice to serve it when you pit.
  • SteveBUK 8 Mar 2018 08:10:08 63 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I would rather you couldn't ever get rid of time penalties and just add them to your final time, but make it clear what time penalty they will have on the split times.

If the event features a pit stop then I'd let them have a choice to serve it when you pit.
    I like that idea
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2018 08:57:22 15,284 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fuck it I'm done. Just had a great 10 lapper on, 4th up to 2nd with a clean race bonus, crossed the line and was sitting in the results screen and it disconnects. 1000 points down. Until they sort this shit out I'm done with it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2018 08:58:53 15,284 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Actually it seems like they've upped it to 1200 points when you "quit" now.
  • jimmac 8 Mar 2018 09:24:18 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I must just be lucky with the disconnects, although I maybe don't do as many races as some others.

I've had only one disconnect since the game came out.

Eventually had a good race last night and restored my faith a little. They need to sort it quick though.
  • shamblemonkee 8 Mar 2018 11:50:18 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can see on kudos prime that average DR has taken a dive last few days - could be related to the disconnects?
  • jimmac 8 Mar 2018 14:03:53 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The guy on pole at Mt Panorama today had a 2:01 and did a 2:02 during the race. I'm going to watch the replay back tonight as I have no idea how you go that fast.
  • dsmx 8 Mar 2018 17:28:22 8,250 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be honest I've had less issues online with the new penalty system than the old one and it's certainly had the impact of cleaning up the racing online.

It's not perfect but the fact that even when I got knocked down to an e safety rating when I had to quit during a race last night and I was still able to have a totally clean race at that level I do very much approve of.

Also I do love the track the Gr.1 race in on today although that Porsche really needs a bit of a nerf.

Edited by dsmx at 17:30:12 08-03-2018
  • Beccosinho 8 Mar 2018 17:59:17 655 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @jimmac did you tune the car as there is no BoP for some reason?
  • jimmac 8 Mar 2018 18:29:24 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lol no. I never noticed that. Must be a mistake surely?

Just won my first race in ages although it was only because the guy in first dropped. Also got fastest lap. I like Australia.

I'll check the BOP later.
  • superdelphinus 8 Mar 2018 21:24:14 9,884 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    algorithm for blame
    Good band name
  • jimmac 8 Mar 2018 23:22:05 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just changed BOP. THAT HELPED.
  • jimmac 8 Mar 2018 23:37:54 478 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just won that race by 8 seconds and dropped my race pace by nearly 2 seconds. The BOP wasn't even that much either.

I wonder how many people haven't noticed. Pretty sure I was faster in a straight line than the guy behind me. Kinda felt like cheating.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.