Xbox One X Page 173

• BOFH_UK 2 Feb 2018 17:07:04 193 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blakester When it's done right, yup and it's one area that consoles are definitely ahead of the PC. Yeah I know it's *technically* possible to do HDR on PC but support is, umm... shall we go with 'problematic' right now. It's why I was more than happy to drop down to 1080p/30 for Forza Horizon 3 on XB1s rather than go 4K60 on the PC version, the HDR was a game changer. Or should that be platform changer?

While I definitely notice it when gaming I've found it's most obvious when using UHD discs. Put it this way: I have friends who still aren't convinced of the merits of Blu-ray over DVD. One viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 and two of 'em were immediately pricing up 4K HDR TV upgrades. Wide colour gamut and HDR together give a noticeable uptick that, in turn, helps bring out the benefits of higher resolutions.
  • Drakesmoke 3 Feb 2018 14:16:39 375 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right after knowing my job is safe for a year or two I am doing this. Ordered with twelve months interest free, arriving tomorrow.

Hope I'm not being ridiculous as currently slumming it with a 1080p TV!

I'm pinning my hopes on the frame rate improvements mainly and then possibly on super sampling as a bonus. Will look at upgrading the TV as time goes on now they are getting cheaper.

I really wanted Monster Hunter but on my (launch day) Xbone I was feeling like the unwanted step child after reading the DF article!
  • VanillaLake 4 Feb 2018 11:18:12 668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just played Wolfenstein II trial on X. It feels like smooth 60 fps all the time. If I remember correctly DF said it has drops even on X, was that fixed? The trial plays and looks great without any hiccups.
  • VanillaLake 4 Feb 2018 11:21:41 668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Drakesmoke The difference between One and X is huge with a variety of upgrades so you did the right thing even if you'll be playing in HD for a while like me.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2018 15:25:05 375 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @VanillaLake

Cheers dude. One hour left in delivery window. Fml!
  • kadooosh 4 Feb 2018 17:07:48 3,117 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought a scorpio yesterday, only really been playing pubg lately, some good difference in that. Got horizon, halo and gears 4 to try out as well.

Does the x sown load 4k assets automatically? On the og xbox I unchecked the option to download it but the option isn't there on the x...
  • Derblington 4 Feb 2018 17:26:28 30,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, its auto. You can only play the higher res/asset version.
  • kadooosh 4 Feb 2018 17:29:47 3,117 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah sweet. This console looks gorgeous. Always preferred the ps4 over the og xbox but this is much nicer looking than my pro
  • Derblington 4 Feb 2018 17:31:14 30,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, they've definitely got better at design/form since launch.
  • Baihu1983 4 Feb 2018 17:48:43 9,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Noticed the console resumes play even with discs that have been taken out the console then put back in
  • Theticket 4 Feb 2018 19:10:50 78 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Drakesmoke
    Hi, mate - congratulations on the purchase! I'm considering an x myself, too, but can you tell me where you got the 12 months interest-free deal? That's the sort of thing that might convince me.
  • Theticket 4 Feb 2018 19:12:58 78 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And can anyone suggest to me why I should buy an X while still using a 1080p tv? It's well beyond my financial situation to afford a new HDR model, as well as a console. But are there genuine improvements to be found, without the need for expert knowledge like Digital Foundry?
  • Technoishmatt 4 Feb 2018 20:41:01 2,537 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Theticket supersampling and higher performance on pretty much everything.

But you’d be better off saving up, and jumping in when it isnt a stretch - by that time both 4k HDR tvs and the X will be cheaper.

You can play all the same games.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 20:41:50 04-02-2018
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2018 20:46:17 375 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Theticket

Argos. You can apply for their card online with various purchase plans. Buy Now Pay Later over 12 months I went for. You pay something like 29 per cent APR if you go over the twelve months. Already flogging my old one to a friend so a small chunk I can pay off there straight away.

It'll let you do a 'soft credit check' which won't affect your credit score - that lets you see if you're application should be successful safely.

With regards to your next post, I don't yet have enough experience to say and I am running a 1080p screen.

Monster Hunter is currently running at 1080p upstairs though, with a decent enough framerate. I understand both aspects would be well down on my OG Bone. In this case a game of this type running at a base 1080p is something that is most welcome.

It seems to load more quickly and run more quietly.

Looking on Amazon, it looks like I'll be able to get a lower end LG or Toshiba TV for under £400 when ready. I had assumed they would be around a grand tbh. That'll come later though.

When I have had a look at Forza I'll report back.
  • Ror 4 Feb 2018 21:15:25 17,445 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just make sure whatever TV you buy has support for HDR10.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2018 22:44:26 375 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ror

Cheers. Just looking into all the terminology now after powering down the console.

Anybody give me any pointers as to the colour settings (I.e. 12, 24 bit etc?)
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2018 22:50:44 375 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Theticket

Well I've now played Forza 7 with the X patch on 1080p.

It was quite beautiful but difficult to put a pin on. It seemed sharper and I am sure there were less jaggies. I could have imagined it but on Prague it seemed the draw distance may have improved.

I don't think this is a placebo as I actually went in thinking nothing would be there, and I have been playing it for some time last week.

I will say that load times seem noticeably better, and this is a game that I find that aspect annoying in on my old XBox.

Whether this is enough to recommend getting a new one yourself yet? If you really want it, and the interest free option I provided lets you do it without pain, maybe. I would say there are advantages and it's a nice treat for yourself.

Unless you have way better cash flow/less need to save than I do, should you buy it for cash money all in one? Possibly not, but everybody's priorities and personal economics differ.
  • BiggerBFG 5 Feb 2018 09:47:57 1,317 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • VanillaLake 5 Feb 2018 10:33:54 668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Xbox One X is not just an HD-UHD upgrade, some games were not 1080p to begin with and then you get additional benefits like supersampling on HD screens (looks great on big screens, I must say), the sometimes much-needed performance boost, faster loading times, better antialiasing...

The most important Xbox One games are X-enhanced now or soon and all the upgraded versions are free which is logical but makes your collection instantly better just by upgrading your console which is something that was PC-exclusive until now, with all games getting a boost somehow, not just Xbox One games but 360 games as well. No wonder some games are more enjoyable and playable now because of the smoother framerate and sharper resolution.

If you want to buy it now, yes, you get a better deal because of the bundles that include console and games for the same price but I don't regret buying it at launch, to be honest.
  • Pazie 5 Feb 2018 22:09:33 1,227 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there anyway to view my deleted games from the hide list. If that makes sense.

Edited by Pazie at 22:10:14 05-02-2018
  • bf 5 Feb 2018 23:02:01 25 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pazie could this be what you're after https://m.windowscentral.com/how-hide-your-unused-games-after-xbox-one-summer-update

Edited by bf at 08:38:23 06-02-2018
  • Pazie 6 Feb 2018 11:10:58 1,227 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @bf Excellent, thank you.
  • bf 6 Feb 2018 12:17:41 25 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pazie you're welcome.
  • jaangus 6 Feb 2018 12:33:11 5,337 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Theticket because its pretty much silent
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2018 16:13:11 14,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lads, is anyone's Xbox one X pretty noisy?
    Mine is nowhere near the almost completely silent original XBO that I had.

If I leave my one x on while watching TV it is noticeably audible. Even when playing it I notice it. It's loud even when not under load. What is y'alls experience like?
  • Derblington 6 Feb 2018 16:14:16 30,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That'd be a duff one. You need to *really* listen to hear mine.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2018 16:19:04 14,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yea I figured based on what I've anecdotally heard, difficult one to try to get the store to replace when it "appears" to be functioning fine in all other respects.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2018 16:45:43 14,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers guys, will go back to the store with it, hopefully take it without too much hassle. Will mean I'll lose the scorpio edition though :(

Edited by mikew1985 at 16:46:09 06-02-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.