Xbox One X Page 174

• BigOrkWaaagh 6 Feb 2018 17:09:36 7,512 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mikew1985 Could always return to MS for repair.
  • bf 6 Feb 2018 18:18:12 25 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mikew1985 mine is quiet but not silent like my old machine but it isn't disturbing and I can't hear it unless I listen for it. A slight bother is that it is still warm after being off for hours.
  • Pierre2k 6 Feb 2018 19:04:41 1,017 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mikew1985 I don't have an original Xbox One for comparison but my One X is whisper quiet. The difference between it and my launch PS4 is remarkable.
  • Technoishmatt 6 Feb 2018 20:21:37 2,537 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have never heard mine, compared to the odd noise I would hear from my S. Although maybe I do have the volume cranked up / headphones on most of the time :p. On other hand, when I "forget" to turn it off, just turning off the TV, I have never noticed it was still on.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 20:21:52 06-02-2018
  • VanillaLake 6 Feb 2018 22:20:34 668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mikew1985 Mine is silent, sometimes I hear the air coming out when playing 4K games like Rise of the Tomb Raider or Gears of War 4 but that's it and I need to put my ear close to it to hear it. It's a low pitch.
  • VanillaLake 6 Feb 2018 22:23:20 668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pierre2k Yep my launch model PS4 sounds like a jet engine even with the game suspended.
  • VanillaLake 6 Feb 2018 22:33:54 668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Playing the Dishonour 2 trial now (hey Ror!). Looks awesome yet it's another game where the main character is dubbed by that actor with the voice from beyond the grave. Any other voice in the world wouldn't be masculine enough for a video game?
  • mikew1985 7 Feb 2018 11:28:47 14,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm, I may be going mad, turned it on last night and it was silent while idling and remains pretty much silent when not left idle in game. As long as I go to the dashboard, it is totally quiet.

Perhaps I just kept leaving it idle on pause screens and was noticing the fan noise never reducing because load remains in those instances?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Feb 2018 11:34:14 7,512 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I turned my until now completely silent X on the other day, sat down to play and heard this huge whooshing fan noise. Oh god, I thought, not me too. So I go over to it and check it over and it's just vwsssssshhhhh, really loud, so I get ever closer, pick it up, rotate it, get my ear right up to it and everything. I can't quite place it so I turn the Xbox off completely and the noise is still there.

Then I spot that the PS3 on the next shelf down is on. Apparently my lad accidentally kicked it on before he went to bed. How did we ever cope with that racket?!

Phew!

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 11:35:19 07-02-2018
  • Pierre2k 7 Feb 2018 13:02:30 1,017 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh 😂😂 My kids do this all the time. I come home from work and one of the first tasks is go round and switch off the PS3, PS4, X1X and Wii U. My mother in law takes the kids during the day, but she "doesn't touch that technology stuff" so never pulls the plug,
  • samharper 7 Feb 2018 13:12:46 995 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I only ever hear mine during Monster Hunter or Assassin's Creed, but it's never very loud at all. Unlike the launch PS4 I have, that's so, so loud in some games.

I guess it makes sense though, MH has an uncapped frame rate so the Xbox is just pushing out as many frames as it can, probably operating at full load 100% of the time. Think the worst offender was launch Rocket LEague on the PS4, the main menu had an uncapped frame rate (as in completely uncapped, it went beyond 60FPS) and the noise was just unholy.
  • Pierre2k 7 Feb 2018 13:15:47 1,017 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not really an "X" question, but relevant enough. Just had a browse in CEX and noticed loads of copies of COD: Infinite Warfare.

I'm not a huge COD fan, and never liked the multiplayer, but I've tended to play and complete the single player campaigns over the years. Never bought Infinite Warfare before so mildly interested.

This is where it gets confusing. They have the standard edition for 10, but the legacy edition (the one that also had the remaster of COD4) for 15. However, the Legacy Edition says, unsurprisingly, "no DLC". Additionally, they have the standalone boxed version of the COD4 remaster for 30!

Question, do you need a DLC code for the COD4 remaster in the legacy edition (I know you definitely still need the disc, so not sure if you can download it with only the disc or not)? If I don't need a code, I'd rather pay the extra 5 for both games, but why the hell would you pay 30 for the standalone boxed version...? If you do need a code, the extra 5 is pointless other than to have a box with a game on the cover that you can't actually play?
  • Ror 7 Feb 2018 13:58:37 17,445 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pierre2k Here's an FAQ I just found. Seems for PS4 it's a code in the case, but on Xbox it's on the disc..? Might be worth taking a punt for a fiver.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Feb 2018 14:01:57 7,512 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    An FAQ?! An dog on an skateboard that accidentally hangs itself and then catches fire!
  • matthewwatson1 7 Feb 2018 15:20:21 3 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Pierre2k I have the infinite warfare with Cod 4 on my Xbox one and it installs both from the disc no code needed
  • Pierre2k 7 Feb 2018 15:50:55 1,017 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks Ror/Matt. In that case, 15 seems like a decent deal. I think IW also has X enhancements so even better.
  • robthehermit 7 Feb 2018 16:02:59 6,518 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh From the FAQs about FAQs

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/faqs/about-faqs

1.2) How is FAQ pronounced?

FAQ is pronounced three ways:
    1. By pronouncing the letters individually: F - A - Q
    2. As a word: fack
    3. Obscenely:

The first two pronunciations are the most common, and are used about
    equally. Some will say F - A - Q if they are speaking with someone
    that really doesn't know the Internet. Those who are lazy (me for
    example) will use "fack", since it is easier to say. Often when
    initiating a conversation it is useful to say F - A - Q, and then
    once the subject has been established, "fack" should be sufficient.

You will notice that in this document I use the phrase "a FAQ" rather
    than "an FAQ". This is because most of the time I say "a fack"
    instead of "an F-A-Q".

Feel free to use whichever pronunciation you prefer and don't let
    anyone bully you. Both ways are acceptable. If you use the third
    way... well, you're on your own.
  • Ror 7 Feb 2018 16:07:14 17,445 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pierre2k It does indeed, and looks really good. DF say the framerate is a bit iffy, but you may not notice in the heat of the action - I can't say I did when I tried it out, but I did only play a level or two.

I actually need to go back and finish it - I'm not really a CoD fan, but I enjoyed what I played of IW (about half, including some side missions). It gave me a bit of a BSG reboot feel, albeit with the usual CoD oorah stuff. And it's the first FPS since Reach to give me space combat, so I appreciated that.

As to the other thing, well, let's be honest here. People who say 'fack' are facking nob-ends ;)
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Feb 2018 16:16:08 7,512 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thinking about it, I say 'fack' in my head when reading FAQ, but in actual conversation I would always say F.A.Q. Hmm.
  • Ror 7 Feb 2018 16:23:18 17,445 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So you're saying you're a semi?
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Feb 2018 16:27:37 2,457 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Ror wrote:
    So you're saying you're a semi?
    Calling someone a knob is how you get third friendliest Ror!
  • Ror 7 Feb 2018 16:29:01 17,445 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pfft, Al can't beat me, he's a spent force!
  • VanillaLake 9 Feb 2018 15:59:24 668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I played the Dishonour 2 trial. It looks great. Performance is nice, there is an old DF article saying it has performance issues but was written before X, it runs smooth on it (30fps). Anyway, I disliked the trial for several reasons: gameplay design, controls and camera and the story didn't hook me even though I read all the documents I found. Fighting was fun in the beginning (a bit too brutal) then it was frustrating, probably the game wants me to be stealthy but the game design is not the best for that. I'd say it's worth a try though because it's much improved on X and some people appreciate the game much more than I do.

Another game which runs much better on X is Watch Dogs (not enhanced). I started playing on Xbox One and the difference in performance is really noticeable, much smoother on X and controls and camera are better because of that. I'm not a fan of Watch Dogs and its sequel but now I'm enjoying it quite more, looking around and climbing buildings.

Wolfenstein II looks and runs great on X, the trial at least. I might get this one. I enjoyed the trial more than I expected.
  • beastmaster 14 Feb 2018 15:17:07 18,176 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok. So which game has the best "Wow!" actor on a 4k screen? I hear Gears of great as is Assassin's Creed Origin.

Will be getting a 4K TV next month. Exciting times. .
  • Deleted user 14 February 2018 15:24:51
    Is anyone else a bit disappointed by the Witcher 3 patch on X? I don't know what I expected but found it a bit underwhelming.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2018 15:27:12
    @beastmaster Origins is the most impressive I've seen, Dishonoured 2 and Doom are also excellent. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are pretty shit though.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 14 Feb 2018 15:36:04 7,512 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Glunge I thought Doom hadn't been X'd up yet?
  • Vortex808 14 Feb 2018 15:37:41 12,260 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doom was x enhanced at the start I think. I still have it in my pile of shame and haven't tried it yet though.
  • Vortex808 14 Feb 2018 15:38:43 12,260 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gears and Wolfenstein 2 are the best I've seen yet. CoD ww2 looks pretty nice too, but not as nice.

I bet Dishonored 2 looks lovely with HDR due to the light/dark stuff and it was pretty to start with.

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:39:51 14-02-2018
  • jabberwocky 14 Feb 2018 15:41:12 105 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beastmaster Assassins Creed Origins. The first time you stare out across the desert and see a sand storm coming in is just jaw dropping.

Also Forza 7 and Horizon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.