Following Xbox One X Page 200

• Ror 21 Jun 2019 21:24:02 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @shuffles I would say, if you have enough to keep you busy on the Pro, and you're considering jumping into the next gen at launch, then it's probably worth riding 18 months out on the Pro and picking up the next Xbox if it appeals.

If you're not going to get a new console at launch, then go for, trade the Pro when you've played what you want to play. But I don't think we need to worry about missing out too much next-gen - both new consoles will be BC.
  • robthehermit 22 Jun 2019 00:02:02 7,515 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas

Ori
    Outer Worlds
    Flight Sim
    Wasteland 3
    Minecraft Dungeons
    Blair Witch
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2019 16:14:53 32,137 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Unless you need the MS first party in your life Iíd add PSVR to the Pro and feel like a kid again with a genuinely cool and unique gaming experience. There are some really worthwhile experiences there that are worth playing on the kit now, itís great.

GamePass is good value and everything but the games arenít really unique, itís just a cheaper way to play some stuff and there really isnít a significant enough difference between the Pro and X unless youíre a real nerd about tech specs.

Edited by Derblington at 16:15:50 22-06-2019
  • SnackPlissken 22 Jun 2019 17:21:24 1,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PSVR and vomit everywhere
  • DjFlex52 22 Jun 2019 19:10:59 318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Unless you need the MS first party in your life Iíd add PSVR to the Pro and feel like a kid again with a genuinely cool and unique gaming experience. There are some really worthwhile experiences there that are worth playing on the kit now, itís great.

GamePass is good value and everything but the games arenít really unique, itís just a cheaper way to play some stuff and there really isnít a significant enough difference between the Pro and X unless youíre a real nerd about tech specs.
    Now that's the Derblington I'm used to disagreeing with. A Sony shill to the end :p

Edit: You've taken Iron Giant's position to a new level!

Edited by DjFlex52 at 19:12:32 22-06-2019
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2019 20:13:24 32,137 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, you're back to spinning your own narrative around my buying habits. Have fun with that.
  • AaronTurner 22 Jun 2019 20:14:28 11,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    With game pass youíre getting 300 games for a year for 40 quid or so, with new games added monthly. I think it has to be the most generous deal in gaming pretty much ever.
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2019 20:16:27 32,137 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, probably.

Edited by Derblington at 20:16:39 22-06-2019
  • DjFlex52 22 Jun 2019 20:19:23 318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Yeah, you're back to spinning your own narrative around my buying habits. Have fun with that.
    But Derblington, we all know your buying habits by now. You're the only one who goes into an Xbox One X thread and tells other people to buy Sony products (that's Iron Giant territory). :D
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2019 20:35:36 32,137 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sure thing bucko. Other than the rest of the people in the same conversation that you've jumped in on the tail end of.

Rather than talk shit about the "Sony shill" you imagine me to be, regardless of my easily verifiable game playing history, you could just put me on ignore and never have to bother interacting with me.
  • Phattso 22 Jun 2019 20:55:23 24,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whatís sad is that MS are only getting back into the game by basically giving shit away. Itís a shame how badly, and obviously, they fucked up by shutting all those first party devs only to have to procure half a dozen new ones just a few years later.

I absolutely loved the OG XB and the 360 was heroic in the early days. Watching it all go needlessly off the rails was a bit hilarious, but lack of competition serves nobody.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Jun 2019 21:20:54 32,484 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DjFlex52 Good god man, grow the fuck up.
  • Ror 22 Jun 2019 21:40:58 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Whatís sad is that MS are only getting back into the game by basically giving shit away. Itís a shame how badly, and obviously, they fucked up by shutting all those first party devs only to have to procure half a dozen new ones just a few years later.

I absolutely loved the OG XB and the 360 was heroic in the early days. Watching it all go needlessly off the rails was a bit hilarious, but lack of competition serves nobody.
    The thinking seems to be that, while they were under the Windows division, Terry Myerson was starving them of funding. That's not to say they didn't also make some shockingly poor decisions, however.

They seem to be in a much better place going into the next gen, at least.
  • DjFlex52 22 Jun 2019 21:52:50 318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    @DjFlex52 Good god man, grow the fuck up.
    It's because I am "grown" that I say what I perceive as he does as you do. Do you see anyone go in the Sony threads telling people to buy MS shit. No, they'd be crucified. Btw do you really think any of this affects me? :)
  • Technoishmatt 22 Jun 2019 22:05:51 3,616 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MS certainly have recently thrown money at the games problem, buying 756 studios. It will take time for their stuff to filter through. If I was them I would want to fully nail some key system seller for the launch window of scarlet, and some goodies for within the first 6-9 months.

In the mean time they know fewer people will be buying consoles with new gen around the corner, and so are hoovering up with good value. I presume they have some stats that most people only play a couple games.
  • Derblington 22 Jun 2019 22:47:25 32,137 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The average consumer buys 1.4 games per year. The point of PSNow and GamePass is to get that money into a sub as itís harder to get out of so you lock them in for a longer commitment.
  • Ror 22 Jun 2019 23:09:02 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    MS certainly have recently thrown money at the games problem, buying 756 studios*. It will take time for their stuff to filter through. If I was them I would want to fully nail some key system seller for the launch window of scarlet, and some goodies for within the first 6-9 months.
    *approx. numbers :)

By the time Scarlet rolls around, Halo Infinite would have had five years in dev. I think they'll be banking on that for the launch of the new system (though it will, of course, be cross-gen).
  • AboutHalfaStevas 22 Jun 2019 23:46:25 1,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    @AboutHalfaStevas

Ori
    Outer Worlds
    Flight Sim
    Wasteland 3
    Minecraft Dungeons
    Blair Witch
    Much obliged, Mr Thehermit.
    It didn't help, tho - i'm still undecided.
  • IronGiant 23 Jun 2019 08:06:35 5,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    The average consumer buys 1.4 games per year. The point of PSNow and GamePass is to get that money into a sub as itís harder to get out of so you lock them in for a longer commitment.
    Iíve downloaded quite a lot using that £1 offer but once that expires I wonít be renewing. Iím way above the average consumer LOL and I much prefer boxed versions!
  • ozthegweat 23 Jun 2019 13:54:31 2,342 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    The average consumer buys 1.4 games per year.
    Jesus that's a low number. I add 1.4 games a month to my backlog!
  • Addy__ 23 Jun 2019 14:04:39 2,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Jesus that's a low number. I add 1.4 games a month to my backlog!
    I add to that weekly :D
  • richarddavies 23 Jun 2019 14:19:55 6,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Christ, I dont even want to think about my backlog. Thanks to gold and sales, last I checked I had 150 games installed and about 80 on my ready to install list. I've probably completed about 10 :-/
  • JamboWayOh 23 Jun 2019 14:35:49 15,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most likely a fifa or a call of duty game. The 1.4 games that is.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 14:36:07 23-06-2019
  • DjFlex52 23 Jun 2019 22:24:43 318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Not true.
  • Dombat 23 Jun 2019 23:11:53 1,663 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Game Pass is unquestionably great value on the face of it but it doesnít suit those of us with a daunting backlog of games weíd rather focus on.

I think itís especially good for people that only own a Xbox but that doesnít apply to me either.
  • SnackPlissken 24 Jun 2019 07:41:49 1,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well it is your fault for having no control over buying games on offer or day one to have a huge backlog.. If anything game pass stops you from buying games which for me is pretty handy. I paid a £1 on top of my gold and Iíve got it until Oct 2020. What do I need to buy? Thereís potentially 3 day one games I want on PS4 this year.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 07:42:32 24-06-2019
  • Dombat 24 Jun 2019 07:50:07 1,663 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Well it is your fault for having no control over buying games on offer or day one to have a huge backlog.. If anything game pass stops you from buying games which for me is pretty handy. I paid a £1 on top of my gold and Iíve got it until Oct 2020. What do I need to buy? Thereís potentially 3 day one games I want on PS4 this year.
    I get that, but I've mostly been very picky about what I buy for a few years now, I just take ages clearing games. That in itself devalues a subscription service for me. A lot of the games I most want to play in my backlog aren't available on Xbox anyway.

Like I said, in general GP is great value but not for everyone.
  • SnackPlissken 24 Jun 2019 08:30:11 1,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I still don't see how it devalues the subscription. You're in control of what you buy. Just don't buy as many games.
  • Derblington 24 Jun 2019 12:27:55 32,137 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's risk of it devaluing the experiences, I guess, as you're not paying for what you're playing (ish).

Many, many, many years ago I had a OG Xbox with a chip and so games came think and fast with zero cost and I found that I cared very little about playing things properly. I'm not saying it's exactly the same but could be similar depending on the individual. I know it affects me.
    I spent yesterday trying out some GamePass stuff I was interested in - Outer Wilds, Below, Astroneer, Crackdown 3 and something else that I forget. The point was to just test out some stuff that I was curious about but I find that even in these trial cases I'm less concerned about them because they're 'just there'.
    I did get stuck into CD3 for a few hours in the end though.

Edited by Derblington at 12:28:11 24-06-2019
  • Anthony_UK 24 Jun 2019 12:53:19 2,967 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I compare gamepass with Netflix. The marginal cost per month doesn't devalue any of the content within it, if anything it encourages you to try games you'd otherwise ignore or avoid.

Flipside being because you haven't paid £40 for each game, you are going to move on sooner if something isn't all that or you simply have had enough.

It's not for everyone, but I haven't bought a game in the last 6 months for the same reason since Netflix I've turned most sky channels off and haven't bought a bluray or box set for years.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 12:53:42 24-06-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.