Following Xbox One X Page 201

  • Dombat 24 Jun 2019 13:28:24 1,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I still don't see how it devalues the subscription. You're in control of what you buy. Just don't buy as many games.
    It's not about how many games I buy.

    My point is I buy and play a pretty limited number of games anyway compared to some on here and because of that I'm very selective. A subscription service no matter how much value for money it provides isn't that appealing to me personally because I don't need access to a large catalogue of extra games, most of which I wouldn't be willing or able to put much time into.

    I'll leave it there. My gaming habits don't suit the service which is all I'm saying, but it's absolutely a great service for people that mostly or entirely just play on Xbox.
  • Derblington 24 Jun 2019 15:00:49 32,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, because they want you to buy that stuff. The games act as the hook, so that when they rotate them you may want to purchase, or plump for the DLC on stuff you've enjoyed.
  • Ror 24 Jun 2019 15:04:43 19,961 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder how that impacts the psychology of something like DLC. Are people more likely to grab the DLC because the game cost them "nothing"? Or less likely, because they don't own the game?

    I think for me it'd be the latter but, while I am subbed to GP (only really thanks to deals), I will buy games I actually want.
  • Derblington 24 Jun 2019 15:15:42 32,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's not really built for us. I assume that they think that we'll continue to buy lots of games that aren't in the Pass anyway.
  • Ror 24 Jun 2019 15:29:17 19,961 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, for sure. Just wondering out loud, really.
  • barchetta 24 Jun 2019 16:13:31 2,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well, I bought FH4 DLC whilst using GamePass for the main game. Maybe its an outlier as I imagine it has a longer lifespan in GamePass than 3rd party stuff.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Jun 2019 19:05:24 32,901 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pretty sure 1st party stuff never gets removed.
  • Daz190uk 24 Jun 2019 19:08:48 411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would be relaxed about 1st and 3rd party stuff.

    They dont seem to churn it too much so at the very worst you get unlucky but by this time the game will cheap as chips anyway.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2019 19:29:58
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I compare gamepass with Netflix. The marginal cost per month doesn't devalue any of the content within it, if anything it encourages you to try games you'd otherwise ignore or avoid.

    Flipside being because you haven't paid £40 for each game, you are going to move on sooner if something isn't all that or you simply have had enough.

    It's not for everyone, but I haven't bought a game in the last 6 months for the same reason since Netflix I've turned most sky channels off and haven't bought a bluray or box set for years.
    I've found that I've been playing games much more than I had been in years for precisely these reasons.

    If anything, it's made me more inclined to buy games not in the pass as it's rekindled my love of gaming.
  • Carlo 24 Jun 2019 19:40:47 21,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I still don't see how it devalues the subscription. You're in control of what you buy. Just don't buy as many games.
    It's not about how many games I buy.

    My point is I buy and play a pretty limited number of games anyway compared to some on here and because of that I'm very selective. A subscription service no matter how much value for money it provides isn't that appealing to me personally because I don't need access to a large catalogue of extra games, most of which I wouldn't be willing or able to put much time into.

    I'll leave it there. My gaming habits don't suit the service which is all I'm saying, but it's absolutely a great service for people that mostly or entirely just play on Xbox.
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I own a PS4, PC, Switch, and XBox (and many other previous generations of consoles). I have very limited time compared to many others here, so I'm pretty picky.

    I bought 3 years worth of Game Pass for £116.

    So far, I have access to Gears of War 4 (and 5 when it comes out), Slay the spire, Rise of the Tomb Raider.

    I already bought Forza, Astroneer, Prey, and Metro Exodus on PC before this deal came up. Money I could have used to buy this sub.

    It has literally already paid for itself. In its first month. This is just on my PC spend.

    I'm not buying any other games for the foreseeable. I have Division 2 already, along with a pretty well stocked Steam library... Not that there's much in teh way of AAA games on that now MS, EA, Origin, and Blizzard all have their own services.

    Oh and PS4 backlog? Battlefield V, RDR2, Spiderman, Days Gone, and my mate's going to lend me GoW if I want it.

    Cyberpunk 2077 getting delayed has meant I won't be buying anything else this year.

    Edited by Carlo at 19:44:26 24-06-2019
  • robthehermit 7 Nov 2019 16:55:28 7,706 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's 2 years today since the XboneX released.
  • HarryB 7 Nov 2019 20:40:39 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My 3rd One X being sent back tomorrow. HDMI cutting out. Green dots randomly when playing certain games. Dammit... At least Amazon refunding even though this one is 1.5 years old
  • TFM_Excalibur 7 Nov 2019 23:57:17 1,681 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    My 3rd One X being sent back tomorrow. HDMI cutting out. Green dots randomly when playing certain games. Dammit... At least Amazon refunding even though this one is 1.5 years old
    I've just hit number 4, I feel your pain!
  • hedben2013 8 Nov 2019 11:04:04 1,503 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm- my X has been playing up this past week, ever since it crashed back to dashboard playing Outer Worlds. Hard rebooted it but I've since had more bugginess than usual in both RDR Online and Borderlands 3. Wonder if I'd have grounds to get it fixed/replaced while it's still in warranty
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2019 12:07:37 9,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know what I'd do if my X gave up the ghost a year away from Scarlett. Cry, probably.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Nov 2019 12:08:24 18,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've only had hard crashes from Metro Exodus, but nothing else, I'd speculate that your X might have an issue.
  • SiroccoJetProp 8 Nov 2019 12:27:57 304 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Without trying to brag, I'm still on my launch Xbox One X Project Scorpio edition.

    I've probably just jinxed that now.
  • hedben2013 8 Nov 2019 12:40:47 1,503 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The weird thing is, uninstalling and reinstalling seemed to solve the bugs in both cases. It's as if Outer Worlds, when it crashed, did something screwy that broke the other games- but everyone else has been raving about how relatively bug-free it is for an Obsidian game, so it's probably just coincidence.
  • Pierre2k 9 Nov 2019 19:53:11 1,183 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on a.launch window (not launch day, but about 2 weeks later) Xbox One X. Never had a single issue with the console. Incredibly quiet and looks amazing on my OLED TV.

    Surprised at the amount of people above that have had issues, but by all accounts, this isn't another red ring of death scenario. I ended up with 4 X360s
    - 1st lasted about 10months before RROD
    - MS sent a replacement which had broken audio out of the box
    - Sent a replacement to that one, which lasted about 11months before RROD
    - Sent a replacement which in fairness still works to this day.

    Ultimately I only ever bought a single X360, and I have a working one, but it took a few replacements to get there. Doesn't even have an HDMI socket, lol.
  • shuffles 11 Nov 2019 06:32:32 306 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I live in Spain. Can I use/redeem an Xbox gift card bought from Ireland?

    As both are in euro is it all good or would I need to change country settings to redeem?
  • JamboWayOh 11 Nov 2019 09:24:53 18,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shuffles wrote:
    I live in Spain. Can I use/redeem an Xbox gift card bought from Ireland?

    As both are in euro is it all good or would I need to change country settings to redeem?
    From my own experience you may need to use a vpn. I bought a British CD key for CoD and it only worked when using a vpn on my laptop despite my xbox region set at UK. I'm in Andorra.
  • Toaster05 20 Dec 2019 21:04:03 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, I picked up a X on black Friday, all is good. I commented up a friend that it was very quiet.

    Over the past week in noticing the fans more and more. I'm currently running it at 1080p as my 4k is of for repair and it's expect not to be hearing the fans kick in quite so much as a result but if anything it seems worse.

    It's hard to explain a sound but it's almost like the fan is pulsing on and off rapidly.

    I'm still in the returns window so I might try and get them to replace it but does this sound like something any of your consoles do?
  • Ror 20 Dec 2019 21:07:32 19,961 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do hear the fan on mine when it's running demanding games, though it's still quite quiet and it doesn't seem to ramp up and down a lot like it seems you're saying yours does.

    It's definitely not as quiet as the OG VCR, but still pretty decent.
  • Toaster05 20 Dec 2019 21:21:52 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I could hear it over iPlayer earlier. I don't mind fan noise but this is some what annoying. Horizontal or vertical with a stand makes no difference either.

    Well this will be fun, trying to get a replacement out Very and this close up Xmas.
  • Ror 20 Dec 2019 21:51:06 19,961 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine is completely - completely - silent when using video streaming services so yeah, I'd sort a replacement. As you say though, crappy time to have to do it.
  • Derblington 20 Dec 2019 22:33:44 32,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I hear the fan on mine but it;s nothing like the PS4. Whisper silent is accurate - I can hear it but itís like a whisper, whereas the PS4 is loud a lot of the time.

    I have misophonia with whispering though, so both levels of noise annoy me.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Dec 2019 03:33:26 25,689 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Toaster05
    I have the Gears X and it is super quiet, even after 5-6 hours of playing.
  • b-rk 21 Dec 2019 04:36:55 1,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    next box is big, big on cooling, hopefully. consoles have traditionally been pretty shit at being loud/being dead. fucking consoles, they're shite, really.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.