Following RESIDENT EVIL 7 Page 2

• Bulbatron 14 Jun 2016 21:14:07 937 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just been watching a Twitch stream of the teaser, during which, a couple of members from the development team were being interviewed. They made a couple of interesting points. I'm paraphrasing, obviously, since I can't remember it word-for-word.

They said that the teaser is not an actual section from the game. It is just to show what sort of tone the game will have.

They also said that although the teaser concentrated on the more explore-y, horror-y aspects of the game, there would be other gameplay mechanics as well, such as combat.

This is not a reboot. All the history from the series is still intact. How this game will connect to those is a mystery.

Despite the slightly supernatural feel the teaser has, that is not how the main game will go, but it'll all make sense in the main game.

Mmmm, I think that's everything I can remember off hand. I found it all quite encouraging, myself. Speaking personally. I'm glad they haven't rebooted the story. Convoluted though it is, I really enjoy it. I get a bit fed up with people asking for the story to be rebooted or the series rested, just because they personally are no longer interested or don't like where the story is going.

Anyway, I hope this info helps. Now I'm off to play through the teaser again.

EDIT TO ADD:

Ooh! I just remembered another thing they said. They said there would be no QTEs.

Edited by Bulbatron at 21:44:44 14-06-2016
  • Deleted user 14 June 2016 21:17:27
    Good find. Guess we'll just have to see what they do.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jun 2016 21:49:22 7,509 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Those all sound very positive to me.

It wouldn't fit the tone of this game to be packing it out with monks swinging medieval weaponry or having a protagonist who can punch boulders or a camp midget napoleon appear in it but having the history of previous incidents still exist in this timeline is good.

The shift in style can serve as a soft reboot for those put off by the more OTT elements of previous games while not isolating anyone who is into the continuity of the series. I suppose like 4 did moving away from Racoon City and Umbrella basement labs while still definitely being set in the RE universe.

I can't imagine that the main protagonist in 7 will be one of the existing cast of action heroes but we might get some cameos or signs of what they've been up to. Hopefully if the demo is going to be indicative of the tone of the new game we're going to be locked down to a more restricted setting again. Once the series left Racoon City the sprawl and globe spanning plots got a bit much even for RE's cartoony presentation.

The combat could be some of the scariest, panickiest and most intense of the generation if anything like a Licker or Regenerator returns.
  • atothewest 14 Jun 2016 22:11:55 906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gotta say, it would be next level trolling from Capcom if the game turned out to be pew pew QTE mayhem after this, with Leon being handed codes to the nukes in the opening cutscene.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jun 2016 22:47:51 7,509 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Playing through RE4 last week the QTE knife fight with Krauser was the worst. Who puts six or seven QTEs in one cut scene? euhg.
  • wuntyphyve 14 Jun 2016 23:16:59 10,588 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't play this bloody thing I've shit myself about three times already.
  • ZuluHero 14 Jun 2016 23:57:53 6,494 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    With your souls training I imagine you'd breeze through it! :)

Just played it through myself, in one sitting (it's very short) really good, atmosphere was great. Looking forward to seeing it develop.
  • wuntyphyve 15 Jun 2016 00:23:11 10,588 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ha. I really am terrible as these kind of games now. Don't have the nerve.

I did finish it though and definitely want more. Looking forward to this. After giving up hope in the RE franchise, my faith is somewhat renewed. This was very derivative but very well done and yeah, creeped me the fuck out and a very nice blair witch moment.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 06:18:15
    So, played through it again and found another secret. When you're in VHS mode (eariler in that day) you can find a lockpick between the microwave and the wall. If you unlock the draw behind you with it, it'll be open when you're done watching the VHS. It contains an axe. Still trying to find how what to do next though.

Have any of you spotted the ghost yet?

Edited by WD59 at 06:24:26 15-06-2016
  • Bulbatron 15 Jun 2016 08:01:22 937 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nope. Guess I need to play through it again!
  • wuntyphyve 15 Jun 2016 08:56:29 10,588 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ghost? Nope. Don't want to either. Thanks.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 09:03:20
    There's a few moments where a ghost just appears.

#1: https://youtu.be/IBKXL_Ch0hE
    #2: https://youtu.be/O9mj_qPg2Xw
    #3: https://youtu.be/rDI23DT5KGE

People are still trying to work it out, but the general consensus is, if you find all of her appearances, you get the real ending. This is just a guess, but I wonder if she was one of the victims trying to help you - could be the voice on the phone.

Edited by WD59 at 09:04:18 15-06-2016
  • wuntyphyve 15 Jun 2016 09:42:42 10,588 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn. Right I'm going to summon up the courage to go through this again tonight. I did find the fuse and go upstairs for the phonecall last night before it all got a bit too much for me.

Maybe I'm a bit simple but the graphics and audio are very good indeed.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 09:48:34
    I still haven't worked out what the axe is for. I can't do it now, but I wonder if you're suppose to use that axe on the boarded up room on the 3rd floor?.

You know that room where the phone rang? If you go past it and around the corner, there's a room boarded up.
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Jun 2016 10:17:09 3,423 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I watched a stream too, looks very interesting. Hopefully the demo will be on PC at some point, I'd like to try it.

Hope there aren't ghosts in the final version. I suppose they could explain it in canon as a hallucination as part of an infection (bit cliche), but ghosts in a RE game? Not for me.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 10:43:34
    This isn't going to be in the final game, so I wouldn't worry about that. This is just basically a bunch of ideas they've thrown together. It's to creats a tone and feel for the new direction. There's a link to umbrella in there too. I kind of like the idea of this being a soft reboot. They could just say this is years later after umbrella and so on.

Edited by WD59 at 10:44:31 15-06-2016
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Jun 2016 10:50:55 3,423 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah that would be good.

They're saying it's within canon, but that doesn't preclude it being a prequel for instance.

Could be good if set in the 50's or 60's with the emergence of some of the primitive BOW's and research. I always enjoyed reading the memo's about that time period from Resi 1 and Zero.

Sadly I've got no interest in the story post Resi 6 at this point.
  • the_milkybar_kid 15 Jun 2016 10:52:04 7,306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's got that claustrophobic PT vibe about it so struggled to play more than a few minutes last night. Thing that bothers me is that if you're using a flash light, they generally light up far more than a little pinprick area. It's annoying that you can only see what's directly in front of you. I know it's the idea to create tension and claustrophobic but it's a bit silly.
  • Bulbatron 15 Jun 2016 11:00:37 937 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MH-RobJenx On the official Capcom site thingy it says the game is set after Resident Evil 6.
  • Jyzzy-Z 15 Jun 2016 11:05:40 3,423 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fair enough.

Hopefully not a single BSAA member in sight.

Willing to give Capcom the benefit of the doubt (again) and it's not long until it's actually out.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 13:25:38
    I really enjoyed it, and made me remember that I haven't completed Soma.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 13:34:45
    Is Soma technically a horror game? I've never played it, but the videos etc seem to show it as more creepy then actual horror.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2016 13:39:47
    Well I shat myself whilst playing it, so I would say it's horror.
  • onestepfromlost 15 Jun 2016 14:16:07 2,711 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah as much as i enjoyed this demo, I wouldnt consider it a resident evil game in anything but name. It almost seems like they have wanted to make a game but worried about its selling potential tacked the RE name on it.

Also one of my pet hates that it does big style in the demo, (not a spoiler as first thing it says to you is escape the house). So you have to escape the house, in pretty much the second room you can see a window with light streaming through it (so its obviously not boarded or covered on the other side) but can you even try to open it to escape or break it. No.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jun 2016 14:57:13 7,509 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MH-RobJenx I know that they have said that this is set after RE6 but it would be a really cool idea to be part of a prequel that fills in some of the mystery from the birth of Umbrella and early days of the research. Those memos are great, especially once you play the remake and the architect and his family are introduced.

When I saw the trailer before the demo started being opened up I wondered if it might be a soft-reboot prequel set in the original mansion before STARS showed up.

I do wonder if its going to be on such a smaller scale than the EPIC GLOBAL TERROR of RE6 (and back in rural America) if maybe we'll see some of those mysteries explored as a protagonist shifting about in the aftermath of the catastrophes from the previous games.
  • wuntyphyve 15 Jun 2016 15:31:30 10,588 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Depends how much of RE they bring into this kind of setting style. It could be bloody amazing if they bring more of RE1 sttyle into it.

Imagine playing through the teaser again only to have zombies start shuffling down the stairs from the darkness. Or going into the kitchen to find a giant spider in the corner waiting for you. You take out your axe and swing in vain as it lurches towards you. I get chills thinking about the possibilites!
  • atothewest 15 Jun 2016 15:38:39 906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    VR plus giant spiders and I think Sony would be facing heart attack lawsuits!
  • Bulbatron 15 Jun 2016 20:32:02 937 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given the 'average Joe' type person Capcom say we'll be playing as in the full game, I wonder if a combat system similar to that found in Condemned would work. Having to fight off zombies or B.O.W.s with axes or bits of pipe or whatever else can be found lying about could be quite horriffic and visceral but without losing the survival horror style gameplay. Like Condemned, guns could be few and far between, with only limited ammo. The idea of giant spiders jumping directly into the player's face in first-person definitely sounds appealing, though I would imagine these kinds of weapons might act only as a temporary deterrant rather than an actual, viable means of defeating them.

That's if Capcom goes with something like that. Who knows what they've got planned. I'm glad herbs are still in!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.