Following RESIDENT EVIL 7 Page 3

• SomaticSense 15 Jun 2016 21:34:01 15,062 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    The idea of giant spiders jumping directly into the player's face in first-person definitely sounds appealing
    Whatever gets you off I guess.
  • Rodderz 15 Jun 2016 22:24:03 3,403 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Welcome to the family son.... :(
  • J*C 15 Jun 2016 23:19:44 758 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played through it a few times now. I've started to notice that the visuals are not quite right. Here's a small list of things I've noticed.

Cobwebs. Have a close look at them. They look a bit shit imo.

In the beginning of the demo, when you get off the floor. Slowly sway your torch left to right at the carpet etc. The image ever so slightly warps in the middle.

Shadows. I noticed shadows were a bit odd when I was looking at items and shining my torch at them.when you move left and right you can clearly see there's no proper shadow being cast. Its just a thick black line on the sides of everything. Check out the staircase for an example.

Nitpicking aside, I did enjoy it. And I hope the full game will deliver the goods.
  • ZuluHero 16 Jun 2016 00:06:09 6,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing a bit more tonight and seen the ghost a few times (4 different places). Managed to capture a few of them on the ps4 share button as they are very blink and you'll miss it.

I really don't like the dummies changing position - that always sends shivers down my spine. That's the reason I stopped playing condemned. Probably the thing that freaks me out the most!
  • wuntyphyve 16 Jun 2016 00:10:11 10,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Someone had to mention Condemned. Brilliant. Now i get to go to bed thinking about Barts Department Store, Christmas music and shop dummies.
  • Pierre2k 17 Jun 2016 21:03:13 1,051 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've not seen anyone else make this connection anywhere yet, but is this linked to the Project Morpheus demo "Kitchen"? Back when PS VR was still called Project Morpheus and was demoed to the press, there were a lot of videos and articles of the media playing a horror VR demo, from Capcom, known as "Kitchen".

Now, obviously I've never played Kitchen and the videos never show footage from the actual game (only people being scared playing it). However, I remember at the time reading an article that explained the entirety of the demo ( see here: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/06/the-kitchen-on-project-morpheus-will-devour-your-soul/ )

If you've read the linked article above, notice any similarities with the ending scene in the Resident Evil 7 demo? Also, given RE7 is confirmed for PS VR I don't see this being a coincidence.

Wake up tied to a chair with your wrists bound? Check. Injured guy trying to cut your wrists free? Check. Guy trying to rescue you being butchered from behind by a demon girl? Check? The scene being set in the kitchen? Check

I'd say the Kitchen demo was this exact scene that you only get a cut down version of in the RE7 demo.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2016 21:15:22
    It is indeed. When they showed it off during the conference, they started by calling it 'kitchen' only to unveil it was actually Res 7 in disguise. Apparently, those who did play 'kitchen' didn't find a hidden message that revealed it as Res 7 either.

Still can't work out what that damn axe is for. The devs have said the dummy finger is the real one players need to work out. The dev also said he liked PT and despite the obvious similarities, they had actually started Res7 before PT was released. I can kind of see that being true as Res7 is out in January after all.

Edited by WD59 at 21:19:44 17-06-2016
  • Pierre2k 17 Jun 2016 21:35:22 1,051 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @WD59 Thabks for this. Didn't watch the whole conference so never realised they introduced it initially as Kitchen.

As for the demo itself, I've never been able to find the axe. I read the article on Euroganer that said you find a lock pick during the video section between the microwave and the fridge, but I cannot find it (sounds like it doesn't do much though so not really fussed).

The dummy finger is an interesting one. I've yet to see any of the mannequins with arms where it would be an obvious fit.

The demo was decent. A bit creepy and would be terrifying in VR in sure. Didn't think it was anywhere near as creepy as PT though. That said, much as PT was just a brilliant experience and piece of marketing, it wouldn't really have worked as a full game IMO. I'm interested to see what Capcom do with this title.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2016 22:02:47
    @Pierre2k No problem.

I'm actually a bit concerned about VR and the health implications - especially with horror games. When you see a horror film or game, you can set it up in your environment, look away, have a few friends around etc, but with VR, you're completely alone and unable to look away. I've seen let's plays of PT enough times to know what happens, but I'd still refuse to play it in VR though. I think it could have genuine health concerns as you're now fooling one of you're senses.

The lockpick is in the corner almost behind the Microwave if that helps. As I said though, the dev said the dummy finger is usable in the game. Know ones worked out what for though.

Edited by WD59 at 22:06:34 17-06-2016
  • Bulbatron 18 Jun 2016 00:41:50 943 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watched a Game Imformer video on YouTube, in which they are talking to somebody from Capcom (who used to work at GI) and from what he said, it sounds as though there will be other videotapes in the main game.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 16:44:39
    If you look on Neogaf, there's a group trying to figure everything about the game out. They've discovered a few locations where the ghost girl is: http://m.imgur.com/a/LvmKm

That's some nightmare fuel!
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 18 Jun 2016 17:18:19 1,614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not played the demo yet, is it still gamey?
  • ZuluHero 18 Jun 2016 17:20:05 6,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was rewatching my captured footage and saw a flash..when I was playing I thought it was a glitch, it happened so fast, but when I paused I saw this:

Thanks capcom - I won't be sleeping tonight...
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 17:21:31
    @CrispyXUKTurbo Not in the way Res 4-6 are. Think first person with puzzles. And by puzzles, I mean 'find a way to open chained wardrobe'. Not moving blocks around etc.
  • pacrifice 18 Jun 2016 17:51:24 4,476 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is this worth getting a month of ps+ for?
  • pacrifice 18 Jun 2016 17:59:30 4,476 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Furtive_Pygmy

It doesn't feel like Resident Evil, more like P.T. crossed with Texas Chainsaw Massacre crossed with Blair Witch, but I gather the demo has little to do with the full game.
    Man, that just makes me wanna play it more 😭
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 18:04:03
    Hmm, just for that. Tough one. It's fairly short (intill people discover what the extra items are for) and it's probably going to be released in general before long. So, I'd say you might prefer just to watch let's plays of it on youtube instead.
  • SomaticSense 18 Jun 2016 19:41:04 15,062 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WD59 wrote:
    @Pierre2k No problem.

I'm actually a bit concerned about VR and the health implications - especially with horror games. When you see a horror film or game, you can set it up in your environment, look away, have a few friends around etc, but with VR, you're completely alone and unable to look away. I've seen let's plays of PT enough times to know what happens, but I'd still refuse to play it in VR though. I think it could have genuine health concerns as you're now fooling one of you're senses.
    And gamers spending the last few decades training our bodies to get used to slouching on sofas/ arching over desktops, barely moving an inch except for our fingers and thumbs frantically tapping buttons at the speed of sound, and eating a diet of Red Bull, pizza, and cheese doritos is an example of health?

:)
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 19:49:47
    Thankfully, I'm nothing like that :)
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 19:50:28
    You're more of a mountain dew kind of guy?..
  • Dgzter 18 Jun 2016 20:10:36 2,392 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got round to playing through it this morning: really enjoyed it though I did finish my first very basic play through within, what, 15mins?

Clearly missed tons of stuff and only had one 'shit myself/yell 'FUCK YOU YOU SCARY FUCKING CUNT GAME' moment. I'll go through again and see if I can pick up anything I missed :) was an interesting experience if nothing else, so I'll be keen to see how this translates to their vision for RE7.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2016 20:39:05
    @dfunked Nope. Just plain old water for me. Not sure how it happened, but I've just gone off fizzy drinks altogether.
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Jun 2016 21:22:53 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WD59 wrote:
    I can guarantee someone will die playing VR, probably quite early in its mass markets lifetime and probably due to a horror game similar to this or P.T.

It's very sad.....but it will happen.
  • SomaticSense 18 Jun 2016 22:31:02 15,062 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    WD59 wrote:
    I can guarantee someone will die playing VR, probably quite early in its mass markets lifetime and probably due to a horror game similar to this or P.T.

It's very sad.....but it will happen.
    And you can get hit by a bus crossing the road during your early morning run. Or you could die from choking on a chip.

/shrug

Let's not fearmonger eh?
  • pacrifice 18 Jun 2016 23:39:30 4,476 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Right, fuck this I'm getting ps+ just for this shit.
  • M83J01P97 19 Jun 2016 12:40:10 7,570 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The demo is very nice, and I like how it has some replay value to it like PT had.

My main concern.... And I may be going out in a limb here, but I get the feeling the final game will actually be nothing like this at all. This was a tech demo right? Parts of which have been shown at previous trade shows but without the RE7 name attached to it.

Have Capcom just released this and labelled it as a teaser for RE7 to drum up some hype? I'm guessing when we actually aee what RE7 is going to be, it won't resemble this FPS teaser at all. Sure they may incorporate the story into the final game some how but I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a full game like this.

Which is a shame.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.