Following Death Stranding Page 57

• Switch024 10 Jan 2020 13:07:12 3,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I love his world building but I feel like he used to parse it out in manageable portions before, this just threw a massive amount of made up acronyms around at me and it felt like it needed the hand of an editor to give the script a once over.
    I don't know, the first hour of MGS is a series of cutscenes and codec conversations with maybe 10 minutes of gameplay. I think his games have always started like that.

Death Stranding does have a lot of to take in, I've found myself going into the menu quite often to read the additonal documents and interviews to help wrap my head around some of it.

Edited by Switch024 at 13:08:39 10-01-2020
  • JamboWayOh 10 Jan 2020 13:11:09 19,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't seen that level of exposition since maybe MGS3. Although nothing can top the ridiculous film length cutscenes in MGS4.
  • Switch024 10 Jan 2020 13:13:59 3,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah MGS4 was crazy, I only played it the once but I seem to remember it being like that throughout the whole game.
  • mothercruncher 10 Jan 2020 16:00:02 17,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It settles down into wide sections where, as monkman says, you're left alone and then you get ďpulsesĒ of crazy batshit story. And youíll get snow, boy, will you get snow.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Jan 2020 16:01:24 19,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    It settles down into wide sections where, as monkman says, you're left alone and then you get ďpulsesĒ of crazy batshit story. And youíll get snow, boy, will you get snow.
    That's what I wanted to hear.
  • Mmmmgrolsch 10 Jan 2020 20:16:00 12 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Obviously rain yes, I meant stuff like snow.
    Don't really want to ruin it for anyone else but yes there will be different weather.

The more you play of this game the better it gets, it just doesn't stop feesing you new stuff that keeps the game feeling fresh throughout. I started to hit a bit of a downer with it in chapter 3 I think it was, glad I kept going. I haven't play anything else since.
  • 2dividedby0 12 Jan 2020 23:02:55 201 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Iím not sure how close to the end I am, but I sense I am almost there. Iíve probably spent way too much time making deliveries that are not part of the main missions. Iím surprised at how many of them there are, as they appear to be never ending? Other short coming include not bothering to get involved in structure building, neither have I found much use for the array of weapons available?

At the present moment, I am scratching my head as to how to cross an ocean (tar belt). I have a feeling road construction might be the solution, or maybe not? Iíll have fun working it out.

Iím not asking for help. No spoilers please.

Memory chips is one area Iím none too bothered with. To date I have discovered a total of 2. I guess this is one area that to be added to total completion of the game. It reminds me of Metal Gear Solid V, having to locate all animals, should the player want to achieve 100% completion rate.
  • Zidargh 12 Jan 2020 23:11:24 2,048 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been playing since Christmas. I really wasnít sure about this for the first 7/8 hours, however itís completely absorbed me now.

This must also be the only game where I embrace dying in it. Itís pretty damn cool what happens.

And my lord, having just bought my first modern TV (LG OLED), the graphics are unbelievable.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jan 2020 23:48:35 19,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been giving it more of a go of late and it's definitely very rhythmic in it's gameplay and strangely I haven't been bored. I think this may be because it's so different to what I've played before, I had my first BT battle and it was so strange but quite exciting. I'm not sure how Kojima does it but he definitely sucks you into the granular details of a game, his writing can be shockingly bad but I still get sucked in. How many chapters are there as I've spent a good couple of hours on chapter 3 so far.
  • glo 13 Jan 2020 00:11:08 3,685 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not sure how many chapters in total but I am up to chapter 9 at about 43hrs on the clock. Chapter 3 was the longest one for me by a long way. Spent quite a few hours on chapter 3.
  • monkman76 13 Jan 2020 08:07:06 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think there are about 14 chapters all told, but that isn't a good measure of progress as some of them are very short, or don't contain much gameplay.
  • ChiefGB 13 Jan 2020 12:13:16 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím on 3, sounds like I may be here for a while yet, just done the shelter last time.
  • 2dividedby0 13 Jan 2020 21:39:01 201 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    As far as i am aware i have reached the final boss.
    So far, i failed once. Time to try try again.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2020 08:25:13 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm onto chapter 12 now. I feel a little like it's lost a bit of steam towards the end. I didn't overly fancy traversing across the map again for a second time..
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2020 08:32:11 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah the middle chunk is definitely the best - but to be fair, in terms of hours that's got to be 90% of the game. Also it shouldn't take you too long to traverse the map by now surely, with all the infrastructure and tools at your disposal?

Edited by monkman76 at 08:32:46 14-01-2020
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 08:44:16 14,659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just climbed in a truck and pelted across the map at the end. Didn't take long at all.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2020 08:44:57 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I pretty much just floored it with the van 90% of the way. I noticed a lot of ziplines that had 400+likes but nowhere to connect to. I laid a lot down myself to connect them up but it seemed like the game wanted you to add them yourself which is fair enough. Towards the end I couldn't be bothered though.
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2020 09:27:32 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found some of the end-game stuff tedious drivel - but other parts actually very moving. Stick with it.
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2020 09:30:39 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    End-game spoiler video:

Oh the music! Oh the scenery! /sobs
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 09:58:52 14,659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, right in the feels.
  • quadfather 14 Jan 2020 10:08:20 36,597 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, the ending and how it ties stuff up.

/Emotional
  • 2dividedby0 14 Jan 2020 16:33:34 201 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I think there are about 14 chapters all told, but that isn't a good measure of progress as some of them are very short, or don't contain much gameplay.
    14?
    Damn!

I'm no Ep9 and doing battle with a monster sized human 'shape' with a gold arse for a face. I really thought i was battling the final thing the game had to offer.
  • garsync 14 Jan 2020 17:55:33 248 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chapter 12 here, really have enjoyed playing it and letting the nonsense unravel.

I really laughed when Amelie asked "what took you so long"

Don't really want to the game to end, I find the bits without guns very relaxing. The change in pace is actually quite stressful.

Only thing I don't like is the weird over use of words in the lore Strand being the worst, it is a name, the rope I have and relates to the BTs , and names being overly descriptive of the person. Maybe that will all make sense at the end. Feels a bit forced/weak. It does add to feel of the game tho.

There is a BBC doc about the game going gold, felt I was far enough through to watch it now. It is interesting, but no revelation. They do have great access to the studio. Tis still on iPlayer.

There are so many little touches and surprises, some that are added for no reason. Would love to see a list of those, in case I missed anything.
  • Carlo 14 Jan 2020 17:59:28 21,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I'm onto chapter 12 now. I feel a little like it's lost a bit of steam towards the end. I didn't overly fancy traversing across the map again for a second time..
    There are two types of people when it comes to this (I suspect), the flower-smellers who will spend another 20 hours traversing their way across the map eventually arriving, and the speed-runners who'll just haul-ass and get there as fast as they can.

I was the latter, and I used my bikes and the partial road systems I'd made along the way.

Saying that, small spoilers for this chapter. It ain't over yet!!!!
  • ChiefGB 14 Jan 2020 20:29:44 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iíve just reunited the lovers in chapter 3. It is really starting to make me haul serious distance and this area is a nightmare for vehicles (which I donít have access to here anyway.
    But us porters find a way, eh
  • mothercruncher 14 Jan 2020 20:32:47 17,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Keep an eye on your emails...
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2020 20:50:20 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I feel like the brilliance is slowly wearing away now.. I just want it to end.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Jan 2020 20:51:06 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Itís like watching 4 David Lynch films in a row. Theyíre brilliant but I kind of want to have a rest.
  • wuntyate 14 Jan 2020 21:18:28 14,659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SnackPlissken Yeah it goes on a bit at the end. I just kind of settled in and gave in to it.
  • ZuluHero 14 Jan 2020 22:50:06 8,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @garsync what do you mean overuse of words and metaphors?

Sam Porter Bridges. A man who ports packages, between ports, who has destroyed bridges with his family, buts builds literal and metaphorical bridges to reconnect everyone??

Fragile, who works for a delivery company called fragile who delivers fragile things, has a fragile back story with a fragile relationship with her father but isn't that fragile?!

Die hard man. A man so hard that he just won't die. Man.

Nope, no idea what you're talking about ;)

Edited by ZuluHero at 22:50:19 14-01-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.