Following Death Stranding Page 60

• IronGiant 9 Mar 2020 11:53:30 6,114 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got my copy ready for when I'm done with Days Gone :)
  • jonnygeddie 2 Apr 2020 14:09:45 1 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Hi folks,

I've in the last couple days completed Death Stranding up to Episode 15 along with completing every road, and setting myself up a series of zip lines across the mountainous region to allow extremely efficient travelling. Took a long time but worth it!

I'm now wondering about joining the online/multiplayer gaming side as I've just purchased my playstation plus membership.

What are the benefits to joining up considering I've already completed the infrastructure and only half 1 prepper left to 5 star (which should take an hour later today)?

Can my zipline/bridges etc be deleted? I assume players can build new things but theres very little bandwidth left on my game now.

Do you see other players on your maps?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks folks
  • mothercruncher 2 Apr 2020 16:08:45 17,828 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You may see structures other players have built when you load up- theyíre green as opposed to your white markers, and theyíre free in that they donít cost any of your bandwidth. What you see if based off the players who youíve made a connection with, strand contracts iirc.
    You can delete other peoplesí structures from your world, it doesnít affect theirs, and visa versa.
    Thereís also some minor busywork around ordering up deliveries from other players.
  • PierrePressure 2 Apr 2020 17:14:33 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Completed this a few weeks back and I was really surprised at how well I got on with it. I became addicted to building the roads, zip line placement and getting the different rewards from the bunkers.

Only thing I had a real issue with is the story, I thought there was some really interesting elements in there but due to Kojima's typical idiosyncrasies, it left me wondering what the hell was going on at times.

I only really appreciate his stories when I read up on them online which I shouldn't have to.

I'm really looking forward to what he does next though :-)
  • 2dividedby0 2 Apr 2020 18:20:05 201 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    About 40 hours into this, and it's been surprisingly brilliant. On paper, it sounds absolutely dire - hell, even watching reviews makes it look boring. It's not until you actually play it can you appreciate how finely tuned the game actually is.

I will be honest, though - the BTs are more annoying than challenging. Luckily, you don't encounter them too often.

On a side note, the world and mechanics would be perfect for a hiking/mountaineering sim. Having to balance the weight ratio of your backpack: food supply, water, climbing equipment, wet weather equipment, cooking gear etc along with real world map reading skills is something that I think I would enjoy.

Throw in the usual perils of environmental danger, unpredictable weather and wild animals and I'd be hooked! Hell....make it a vast world with a limited online element where you can meet random players and share info/supplies like in DayZ and I think you'd have a decent game.
    I don't think the game would have sold nearly as many copies as it did if the sales pitched included the words 'postman' 'pat' 'mountain-climbing' which is what Death Stranding amounts to. Slap the name Kojima on it, and make it sound all the more important 'Rebuilding America' and you have a winner!

I have completed Death Stranding, and i admire the sense of being in the thick of it, it being a situation, and the sense of struggle, the sense of life and death while climbing snow covered mountains. It is in the tiny details Death Stranding excels.
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Apr 2020 12:26:28 958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Started this last night and I'm pretty blown away so far. The graphics are absolutely incredible and it seems weird and freaky enough.

Havent actually got to play that much yet as it's so cutscene heavy at the start, but so far so good.

Seems different enough from everything else out there that I can't wait to my next session with it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jul 2020 07:29:46 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PC version's pre-load is now live - 63 gigs. Reasonably meaty, but not exceptional, I guess.
  • uiruki 14 Jul 2020 18:32:34 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Loaded this up. Quick impression is that this port's weird. When I move the game pretty much locks to my monitor's refresh rate. Also when they said it supports 21:9 output they were really really pedantic about it - the resolution I'm running in is 3360x1440 instead of my monitor's native 3440x1440. There's also no filter on the video scaling for the FMVs so the titles right at the start looked rubbish.

DLSS is the real deal though. It seems to look better than native with FXAA while also running a good bit better. There's a bit of blur when I move but I can't tell if it's the graphics or my monitor's panel which has a bit of trouble at low contrast movement over 100fps.

Edited by uiruki at 18:33:08 14-07-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Jul 2020 20:20:38 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, that's a very odd one. Technically and in... well... every other respect as well.

Just played the first 90 minutes. Technically, it's fine, for the most part. Quite a bit of stutter during the intro cinematic, which was a bit odd, but no recurrences once that ends. Others on the forum reporting the same. Falls into the every-growing list of "games which support HDR but which are mostly brown and grey".

In story terms... yeah, it's Kojima. Bizarre imagery, frequent male nudity and loaded comments about America every few lines.

In gameplay terms, not sure I've actually seen what the loop's like yet. Interesting sense of physicality to controlling Sam, though. He does have a physical weight and presence in the world that I think other games have aimed for (e.g. RDR2) and failed. I'm quite impressed with that side of it so far.
  • ZuluHero 14 Jul 2020 20:21:52 8,926 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Seeing this pop up again for pc is making me want to play it again.
  • Switch024 14 Jul 2020 20:28:52 3,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really got into it but never actually finished it. We ended up having some work done on the house and wasnít able to get on the PS4 for a good month. Keep meaning to go back to it but have been playing other things.
  • SolidSCB 14 Jul 2020 20:36:01 12,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm in exactly the same boat, dropped it for new games and never went back. Started playing again yesterday and I don't know why I ever stopped, I was really enjoying it. Fuck me if I've forgotten the buttons though, I sent the poor bastard and his cargo flying down some rocks as soon as I started.
  • uiruki 14 Jul 2020 22:54:45 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm still not sure if I like this or not after five hours but I do like the way Sam handles on foot, it's got that verisimilitude of carrying stuff on your back while going slightly too fast over rough ground. Early on I caught a kerb and nearly fell on my arse, and though "yep, I'd have totally done the same thing".
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Jul 2020 23:08:20 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @uiruki Yes, Sam's personal physics are pretty impressive in this and are the stand-out feature I've seen so far.
  • wuntyate 14 Jul 2020 23:14:39 14,926 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Seeing this pop up again for pc is making me want to play it again.
    Same. I'm nearly ready to give it another playthrough. Maybe in a month or so. Utterly loved it from start to finish.
  • ZuluHero 15 Jul 2020 00:06:46 8,926 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    "Verisimilitude". That's a cool word. Gonna look that bad boy up!
  • b-rk 15 Jul 2020 09:15:58 1,278 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Well, that's a very odd one. Technically and in... well... every other respect as well.

Just played the first 90 minutes. Technically, it's fine, for the most part. Quite a bit of stutter during the intro cinematic, which was a bit odd, but no recurrences once that ends. Others on the forum reporting the same. Falls into the every-growing list of "games which support HDR but which are mostly brown and grey".

In story terms... yeah, it's Kojima. Bizarre imagery, frequent male nudity and loaded comments about America every few lines.

In gameplay terms, not sure I've actually seen what the loop's like yet. Interesting sense of physicality to controlling Sam, though. He does have a physical weight and presence in the world that I think other games have aimed for (e.g. RDR2) and failed. I'm quite impressed with that side of it so far.
    I've been watching some HDR videos and the implementation looks rather good, what screen are you playing on?

• crestedzulu 16 Jul 2020 13:27:13 57 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Spent 5 hours yesterday with this for the first time.

Running at maxiumum settings on a 4K Predator screen. Holy shit!!!

I am absolutely blown away by it, i appreciate that this game isnt for everyone, personally i wanted to stay up all night and carry on ...
    However these days i have a wife, 2 kids and a business to run!

Needless to say the kids will be in bed on time tonight!
  • uiruki 16 Jul 2020 17:52:58 5,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    While working today I just wanted to drive my little truck around and fix stuff. It scratches that Elite itch much better than I anticipated.
  • gammonbanter 27 Jul 2020 12:35:31 1,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmmmm, only a couple of hours in....Monster product placement, that's bollocks. Great game otherwise

Edited by gammonbanter at 12:39:15 27-07-2020
  • myk 27 Jul 2020 23:27:49 731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    my favourite is the AMC advert when you sit down on the loo. It's so weird and fourth wall breaking it works.
  • gammonbanter 28 Jul 2020 20:03:33 1,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I haven't read any of the background about the product placement, but it definitely takes some of the shine of what is an otherwise highly polished product.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2020 22:27:40 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd assumed the product placement was just Kojima being Kojima and having shits and giggles with it, rather than actual... well... product placement.

I played two hours or so tonight, for the first time since launch day (my Total War co-op partner not online and can't be arsed firing up the PS4 for GoT). I carried my mother's corpse up a mountain to an industrial incinerator to dispose of it. Then I connected myself by cable to a fetus in a jar so that I could see invisible monsters while I ran back to town. Then I had some delicious Monster Energy Drink.

That's not your average Doritos and Mountain Dew scenario.
  • wuntyate 28 Jul 2020 22:32:14 14,926 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I ended up rebuyng it in the PSN sale earlier as I'd sold my copy after finishing it. Got a hankering to just mess about in the end game again on the odd evening as I'd missed playing it. Such an amazing game. One of my favourites ever in fact.

In faaaact after Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone I may just begin a new playthrough.
  • monkman76 28 Jul 2020 22:49:00 16,156 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíve treated myself to a decent gaming laptop and Iím quite tempted to get the PC version to play it at 60fps, even though Iíve still got the PS4 disc.

In fact I should have just sent you the disc wunty.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2020 23:14:03 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm still not sure I'm sold on the game yet, but the way they give the player character a physical presence in the world is astounding. It actually feels like you are controlling his body in a way that you very rarely get in games. If anything, the closest we've seen is in comedy-bad games like Surgeon Simulator. Obviously, this is different in that it isn't deliberately obstructive... but yeah, it really breaks with the usual conventions - in a good way.

Kinda takes the piss out the way Rockstar try to make player characters feel real by just giving them slow, unresponsive controls.
  • Nanocrystal 28 Jul 2020 23:25:37 2,124 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got ten days off work from Friday and have this installed and ready to go. Looking forward to mountain hiking with an unborn fetus. Then maybe play some Death Stranding.
  • wuntyate 28 Jul 2020 23:31:07 14,926 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76 ha ha you know what before I bought it I thought "maybe i should ask on eg to see if anyone will sell it to me".

I just remembered I never went back to listen to your track. Dammit. I'm going to listen now!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.