Following Death Stranding Page 23

• SolidSCB 9 Nov 2019 10:25:41 11,728 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can totally see why it's sitting in the mid 80's on the critics side though. It's exactly where I'd have it so far.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Nov 2019 10:37:19 13,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love it so far. Just slowly plodding across desolate hills in the rain, carefully picking my route. It's really doing it for me. Can't explain why.

In terms of mechanics all I can say is it's just another game to learn. Keeping Sam going and adjusting balance is a process that keeps the old fingers just as busy as lining up headshots or dodging then swinging a sword. It's just different and so far certainly no less enjoyable.

Still well early days for me though. Only grabbing short bursts here and there.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Nov 2019 11:11:02 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is way easier than a lot of the reviews made out.

I haven't fallen over once as it's just a case of jamming down both triggers and suddenly you can stay upright like a normal person. The motorbike then utterly trivialises things as there are a tonne of generators dotted about and journeying from the east coast to the mid west takes about 10 minutes.

BTs are pretty meaningless too as once you unlock a certain weapon type they pose zero threat.

Will see if it changes up in this new area, but without any challenge to what you're doing it just becomes a pretty dull journey from A to B with nothing interesting between.
  • greenmekon 9 Nov 2019 11:20:19 520 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had about 4 hours on this last night and absolutely loving it. The visuals are incredible and there is something about the world that is grabbing me. The isolation is perfect for me lol
  • wuntyphyve 9 Nov 2019 11:30:44 13,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes what difficulty are you on out of curiosity?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Nov 2019 11:38:39 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Normal.
  • SolidSCB 9 Nov 2019 11:39:00 11,728 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess it depends how you want to play really. I've just started seeing vehicles and I have little interest in using them much as I'm having so much fun traversing on foot.
  • Tomo 9 Nov 2019 12:00:58 17,039 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    The metacritic reviews for this are amazing by the way and are a great example of how things are nowadays with pretty much everything.

Biggest pile of shit ever 0

A life defining experience 10

It's clearly neither of those things but people just cant help being polarised on everything.
    I get your point, but I can see why this has happened with the reviews here. Plenty of people will bounce off this hard. Equally, it's addressing some big themes and taking a lot of risks with the gameplay and if that gels with you, it's going to be pretty special. You've only got to look through this thread to see polarity of opinions. More so than any other recent release.
  • Tomo 9 Nov 2019 12:02:48 17,039 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    This is way easier than a lot of the reviews made out.

I haven't fallen over once as it's just a case of jamming down both triggers and suddenly you can stay upright like a normal person. The motorbike then utterly trivialises things as there are a tonne of generators dotted about and journeying from the east coast to the mid west takes about 10 minutes.

BTs are pretty meaningless too as once you unlock a certain weapon type they pose zero threat.

Will see if it changes up in this new area, but without any challenge to what you're doing it just becomes a pretty dull journey from A to B with nothing interesting between.
    I've also yet to die. Felt like a I came close on one occasion which scared the hell out of me. Also playing on Normal. It's not really bothering me though. I'm more in this for the story and world than the challenge.
  • ChiefGB 9 Nov 2019 12:05:11 11,646 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tomo Which is exactly why Iím standing back, observing at the moment. Still canít help but feel Kojimas name is carrying some of the weight here, another possible emperors new clothes scenario. It equal parts looks like my cup of tea and equally absolutely not, confused.com.

Edited by ChiefGB at 12:05:34 09-11-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Nov 2019 12:12:59 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I facepalmed myself for thinking the story might be good straight after the "why have you given me handcuffs?", "they're not handcuffs it's a mobile phone" scene smacked me straight in the face with its subtle messaging.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Nov 2019 13:18:49 13,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Timefall effects are cool. The way the plants grow and die around you.
  • Tomo 9 Nov 2019 13:21:30 17,039 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I facepalmed myself for thinking the story might be good straight after the "why have you given me handcuffs?", "they're not handcuffs it's a mobile phone" scene smacked me straight in the face with its subtle messaging.
    Bwhaha. I hadn't actually clocked that but now you mention it that's hilarious :D
  • mothercruncher 9 Nov 2019 13:57:44 16,719 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Me either, oops.
    The game isnít that hard, at least initially. Got a puppy this week and have had a few sleepless nights in a row. I kept falling asleep Thursday evening while playing and woke up half way to my objective each time.
  • StaffyDog 9 Nov 2019 14:04:09 1,583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "you probably noticed a bike outside,"
    Yes I did great / thinking to myself.
    "Don't get your hopes up it has no fuel"
    Darn
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 14:05:00 11,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I turned the difficulty up to hard and it seems better. I think he uses stamina more and you have to spend more time balancing when walking. It's a bit more engaging so far.
  • elstoof 9 Nov 2019 14:16:26 24,433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You shouldíve known what difficulty is best before you started playing
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 16:40:58 15,740 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hehe.
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 16:57:26 11,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You shouldíve known what difficulty is best before you started playing
    Would have been handy!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 17:01:31 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How is the rambling and exploration to stealth/combat/story ratio?

I quite the idea of wandering about doing deliveries in that landscape but much less interested in the more conventional gameplay elements
  • elstoof 9 Nov 2019 17:03:17 24,433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís a ramble-a-thon from what Iíve gathered so far
  • AaronTurner 9 Nov 2019 17:08:30 11,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's mostly walking. I'm a little bummed that I've just got a form of transport as I really enjoy the rambling. They absolutely nailed the feeling of walking through rough terrain.
  • monkman76 9 Nov 2019 17:54:12 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are no conventional gameplay elements
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 18:03:19 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Itís a ramble-a-thon from what Iíve gathered so far
    Could be one for the next big PSN sale for me then
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Nov 2019 18:04:33 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There are very few gameplay elements beyond walking.
  • Tomo 9 Nov 2019 18:43:23 17,039 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

I quite the idea of wandering about doing deliveries in that landscape but much less interested in the more conventional gameplay elements
    I've done one stealth/combat mission in about 9 hours. And that was a tutorial. And a boss. There are parts of the map where I think you can essentially take out a enemy base, a bit like in MGS5, but I've yet to venture to those. I have a feeling the wandering will decrease and the combat/stealth will go up, but I'd be surprised if exploration wasn't the main thing throughout.
  • thedaveeyres 9 Nov 2019 18:44:03 13,907 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is absolutely incredible and yet I wouldnít recommend it as anyone could just as easily despise it for exactly the same reasons I think itís brilliant.
  • Carlo 9 Nov 2019 19:26:17 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He gets it
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 19:54:17 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

I've done one stealth/combat mission in about 9 hours. And that was a tutorial. And a boss. There are parts of the map where I think you can essentially take out a enemy base, a bit like in MGS5, but I've yet to venture to those. I have a feeling the wandering will decrease and the combat/stealth will go up, but I'd be surprised if exploration wasn't the main thing throughout.
    That MGS5 stuff is what I don't want. Gimme a bleak landscape and a destination to walk
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 19:57:23 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't you just walk to Ridley Park?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.