• simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Nov 2019 20:03:52 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very true
  • mangojoe 9 Nov 2019 21:22:18 2,478 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    This is absolutely incredible and yet I wouldnít recommend it as anyone could just as easily despise it for exactly the same reasons I think itís brilliant.
    Why do you think it's brilliant
  • Deleted user 9 November 2019 21:52:01
    It's totally unique for an AAA game. I don't know if I'll last the distance in it but for me it was worth the entry price just to experience the game. It's completely mental, hats off to the guy for going completely off the beaten track.
  • thedaveeyres 9 Nov 2019 22:47:05 13,917 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mangojoe Iím having trouble finding fault with any aspect of the game - itís a combination of almost entirely unique, meditative gameplay punctuated by moments of pure panic or decisive action.

Earlier, I was wading across a river, lost my footing and two packages tumbled into the rushing water. I desperately ran to the bank, ditched all my other packages and had to race down the waters edge trying to cut off the packages before they disappeared from view. One got caught on a rock, the other one, I lunged into the water and snatched just as my stamina ran out. All emergent gameplay that sounds boring as fuck. Probably my gaming moment of the year - 10/10 - would run down the river bank going ďfuck fuck fuck fuckĒ again.

In other words, Iím not sure I can tell you why I think itís brilliant in a way that doesnít sound incredibly offputting. :)

Edited by thedaveeyres at 22:47:46 09-11-2019
  • SnackPlissken 9 Nov 2019 22:50:12 1,956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I havenít dipped in day one as I could see this would be polarising. Pretty sure Iíll pick it up cheap around Christmas or even a load of people trading it in.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2019 22:56:09
    I took my bike down a stupid stupid route and got fucked up by some BTs. Nearly ditched the bike because it was so rocky but somehow got it to the destination after a boss fight. Was really great, I'm finding the hard mode much better and it's not really that hard either.

Edited by AaronTurner at 22:56:32 09-11-2019
  • Tomo 9 Nov 2019 23:22:41 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There is A LOT of gumpf in this. Constantly getting spammed with emails from people telling you how much they love your work. I just picked up some data stick which had a picture of a 1950s Honda motorbike on it. Thanks for that.

I've just got the Bola gun. Very satisfying to use, but boy is it easy. I also found out that you can basically just punch all of the MULEs. I got in a pickle, got caught stealthing and 6 of the, ran at me and I just punched them all to the ground...
  • wuntyate 10 Nov 2019 08:07:20 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yay for the bike up and running and made a quick delivery on it, gunning past a load of mules in the process. Certainly takes a lot of risk out of a delivery trip. I'm sure I won't be able to rely on it for everything though.

Earlier I tried to circumnavigate a wooded bt area by trying to go up some hills asking the side. Doing well till I slip and watch all my stuff slide down the hill. Luckily there was a rock ledge just below so wasnt TOO bad. First time I've got stuff damaged through my own stupidity though.

I may pop it up to hard just to see what it's like.
  • 2dividedby0 10 Nov 2019 08:34:01 201 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I suffered my first void-out. As a result i lost my cargo. I made it to my destination with nothing to deliver. I returned to base in hope of being supplied with replacement cargo, but nothing to be found there. I then tried returning to the area, that is now a crater, to see if my cargo could be found, but no, nothing? so what next? i've already searched in those cargo postbox devices, but no luck. I've also attempted to pick up other people lost cargo, and delivering that. The fact remains, i need my cargo to complete the delivery and move on. I'm sure there's away.

Edited by 2dividedby0 at 08:59:21 10-11-2019
  • Deleted user 10 November 2019 09:26:41
    2dividedby0 wrote:
    I suffered my first void-out. As a result i lost my cargo. I made it to my destination with nothing to deliver. I returned to base in hope of being supplied with replacement cargo, but nothing to be found there. I then tried returning to the area, that is now a crater, to see if my cargo could be found, but no, nothing? so what next? i've already searched in those cargo postbox devices, but no luck. I've also attempted to pick up other people lost cargo, and delivering that. The fact remains, i need my cargo to complete the delivery and move on. I'm sure there's away.
    Wow the area is a crater? That is a cool, but sorry I can't help you. I'd check nearby postboxes to see if someone delivered them there.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Nov 2019 09:38:09 13,966 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How is everyone finding the social features?
  • SolidSCB 10 Nov 2019 09:43:09 12,766 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No way, I almost want to die now just to trigger a voidout.

Have to say this is one of the most memorable games I've played in many a year. On the face of it you do next to fuck all but it's completely absorbing at all times.
  • SolidSCB 10 Nov 2019 09:55:16 12,766 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    How is everyone finding the social features?
    They are pretty cool. Helpful but also not completely intrusive so far. I'm finding myself leaving messages/objects for other players a lot more than I did in the Souls games.
  • erasr 10 Nov 2019 10:04:31 432 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I watched someone stream it for two hours last night and I canít stop thinking about it now.

The general detail in loading your cargo up, setting off on foot on your own and delivering bits to multiple destinations seems addictive. I like how bleak it all looks.

Problem is, Star Wars arrives end of this week.

Edited by erasr at 10:04:42 10-11-2019
  • Mola_Ram 10 Nov 2019 10:07:29 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a Star Wars hiking sim?
  • mangojoe 10 Nov 2019 10:15:52 2,478 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    There's a Star Wars hiking sim?
    Yes you walk around delivering satellite dishes for Sky

Edited by mangojoe at 10:19:24 10-11-2019
  • Mola_Ram 10 Nov 2019 10:20:50 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn, I'm all over that. Even better if you don't have to shoot anyone.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:22:43 10-11-2019
  • mothercruncher 10 Nov 2019 10:25:26 17,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Some good tips here, stuff itís easy to miss-

https://www.fanbyte.com/guides/death-stranding-tips-guide-things-the-game-doesnt-tell-you/

This passage perfectly sums up the game:
    ď Another thing you want to do in private rooms is use the bathroom. Your biggest enemy in Death Stranding, aside from the world itself, are BTs. These ghostly apparitions can make your life hell if you donít know what youíre doing. One of the quickest way to deal with BTs is to fend them off with grenades made up of bodily fluids. The best way to get those is to use the bathroom whenever you enter your private room.

The longer you take between private room sessions, the more grenades you produce when you shower and relieve yourself. That means you donít have to worry about doing it every time. Just know that if you wait too long, youíll miss out on ammo. Be sure to use the bathroom as often as you can! And yes, youíll have to go number-one and number-two separately, since they get you different grenadesÖĒ
  • Tomo 10 Nov 2019 10:32:37 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Think the only one I didn't really know about in there was how to deal with the hands when they grab you. Otherwise I think the job sites a pretty good job of telling you stuff. That said, with the sheer volume of things I can see you missing something is you drift off for a moment.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Nov 2019 11:46:29 33,021 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hematic grenades basically make the other types pointless and from what I can tell so far you can fabricate them at any terminal.
  • erasr 10 Nov 2019 13:16:17 432 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In town. Might buy it.

Ratings out of 10 so far?
  • Tomo 10 Nov 2019 13:26:08 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For me 8 or 9/10 so far. Big asterisks on those though.
  • wuntyate 10 Nov 2019 13:58:54 14,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After 5-6 hours - still incredibly early - it's a good 9 or so. I really really like it.
  • SolidSCB 10 Nov 2019 14:44:17 12,766 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Easy 8 and could be a 9 or even 10 depending on how the rest of it goes.

That being said I can also easily see how someone could get absolutely nothing out of it as well.
  • Tomo 10 Nov 2019 15:32:33 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Had my first fuck up. Was using a climbing hook to wade through rivers. One really thin river was really deep and I got swept away and all my cargo broke. Game over man.

Was a bit of a shock!
  • MadCaddy13 10 Nov 2019 17:01:30 3,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was unaware that America was pretty much the same size as the Peak District. Such an odd map
  • Tomo 10 Nov 2019 17:03:02 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    I was unaware that America was pretty much the same size as the Peak District. Such an odd map
    Yeah lol, I don't get that either. Wonder if that's somehow going to be explained away as the game goes on.
  • MadCaddy13 10 Nov 2019 17:03:05 3,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And the mules, they can spot a gnat on a dogs arse from a mile away

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.