Luxembourg PM seems to have nailed it

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/971819306395807745?s=19
  • JamboWayOh 9 Mar 2018 18:54:04 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Luxembourg PM seems to have nailed it

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/971819306395807745?s=19
    Wish I hadn't read further comments down the list. Although I did find one guy who I actually think is Letsgo who just ignored his argument being disproven and then just posted a letter from someone who wrote to the Guardian about leaving the EU will be good for Africa.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 12:51:56 8,068 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vince Cable suggests that older people voted for Brexit because of "nostalgia", snowflake Tories immediately accuse him of branding Leavers racist.

This is funny because a lot of people - like good old non-racist Jeffrey - might very well agree with Cable that they would prefer the whiter Britain of their youth, and then in their next breath declare that they are not racist. But when Cable suggests that it might be Leavers' motivation he is accusing them of being racist, despite the highly measured tone and language of his speech.

"I would like less foreigners in my town" = not racist, legitimate concerns.

"They would like less foreigners in their town" = branding them racist.
  • mal 12 Mar 2018 14:59:13 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Ignoring for a moment the fact I think you should be using 'fewer' not 'less' here, it is racist to say that. You could say 'I would like fewer people who don't have a good command of the english language in my town', but that'd decimate half of lancashire. But to discriminate based on people's nation of birth is racism, by definition.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 15:17:46
    There was an old lady on the radio this morning, being all 'nice granny', talking about 'a return to simpler times', cheaper houses, more green fields etc... Vine and Co. lapping it up, and then BAM! she hits them with "less Asians ... there's a huge lot of them in our town", Vine desperately talks over her to get bank onto the nostalgia shtick but the truth is revealed.

Nearly choked laughing.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Mar 2018 15:22:44 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    You could say 'I would like fewer people who don't have a good command of the english language in my town', but that'd decimate half of lancashire.
    You would decimate a great deal of the country as a result of a population that communicates in such incredible words as 'amazeballs', 'totes', 'babez', 'divvent', 'fam' and 'no what I mean'.
  • elstoof 12 Mar 2018 15:24:07 20,056 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    'no what I mean'.
    Are you aksing me
  • JamboWayOh 12 Mar 2018 15:28:31 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    'no what I mean'.
    Are you aksing me
    Allow it fam! Allow it!
  • elstoof 12 Mar 2018 15:30:22 20,056 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sometimes I watch Arsenal Fan TV just for that
  • DJCopa 12 Mar 2018 16:20:24 1,536 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Ignoring for a moment the fact I think you should be using 'fewer' not 'less' here, it is racist to say that. You could say 'I would like fewer people who don't have a good command of the english language in my town', but that'd decimate half of lancashire. But to discriminate based on people's nation of birth is racism, by definition.
    I don't think he was personally suggesting it isn't racist, just that's how the people spouting this nonsense perceive it.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 16:51:52 8,068 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    mal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    I don't think he was personally suggesting it isn't racist, just that's how the people spouting this nonsense perceive it.
    Yes. And how even when someone tries to use the same language in measured terms to describe how others feel they are said to be accusing those people of being racist. A 'doth protest too much' type thing, methinks.

You're right about the less/fewer issue though Mal.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Mar 2018 16:58:25 7,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    DJCopa wrote:
    mal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Yes. And how even when someone tries to use the same language in measured terms to describe how others feel they are said to be accusing those people of being racist. A 'doth protest too much' type thing, methinks.

You're right about the less/fewer issue though Mal.
    Ahhhh, don't forget the classic you're being racist because you're talking about race' tactic of the ignorant.
  • Pilot83 12 Mar 2018 19:59:35 33 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:Ahhhh, don't forget the classic you're being racist because you're talking about race' tactic of the ignorant.
    Yeah, I love those. It's pretty universal, too. Same bunch of people, too.

"I believe in TRUE equality, so talking about improving the lives of women shouldn't even be a thing, you feminazi dyke cunt! Some of my BESTEST friends are wome--- Well, my mother likes me."

(Threw that in there. It's the same, really...)
  • Jono62 12 Mar 2018 20:44:49 20,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry for the old news, but IBS, sorry IDS said this in PMQ'S last week

Iain Duncan Smith, the Tory Brexiter, congratulates May on her speech. He says bringing back control is crucial. Will May tell the EU that cake exists to be eaten and cherries exist to be picked?

May says Duncan Smith is right about how people voted to take back control.
    Also apparently a Conservative WhatsApp group has been leaked

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence/this-huge-leak-of-whatsapp-chats-reveals-the-full-fury-of?utm_term=.sq3XGoKYav#.mb8am8j2GM
  • Psychotext 12 Mar 2018 20:57:54 63,068 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Juicy
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Mar 2018 22:45:31 6,764 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This country is so racist and xenophobic. We've even had a guy on the local news here tonight whose job at Durham University is being used as evidence for why he should be denied a work visa to stay here and work at Durham University.

Tory xenophobia and Labour pandering to the "legitimate concerns" brigade only serve to lend credibility to all kinds of myths that the press have been perpetuating for decades.

https://thetab.com/uk/durham/2018/03/12/renowned-durham-academic-ernesto-schwartz-marin-given-14-days-to-leave-the-uk-40695
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Mar 2018 22:46:57 6,764 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's not even a left v right thing since both sides are at it often enough to leave a real bad taste
  • DaM 13 Mar 2018 09:33:43 17,096 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    There was an old lady on the radio this morning, being all 'nice granny', talking about 'a return to simpler times', cheaper houses, more green fields etc... Vine and Co. lapping it up, and then BAM! she hits them with "less Asians ... there's a huge lot of them in our town", Vine desperately talks over her to get bank onto the nostalgia shtick but the truth is revealed.

Nearly choked laughing.
    The women in my office listen to this as well. I think ISIS have a lot to learn on radicalisation techniques from Radio 2 and the Daily Mail.
  • FilthyAnimal 13 Mar 2018 09:51:09 415 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    It's not even a left v right thing since both sides are at it often enough to leave a real bad taste
    Indeed. It's not a new phenomenon though. Right now, this viciousness, callousness and cuntishness isn't exclusively "left-wing" or "right-wing" but rather just "British". The ability of individuals in the UK to elevate themselves above it is more contingent on their ability to isolate themselves from their national identity as opposed to being (a)political.

British nationalism is toxic, it always has been. Same with the Yanks. The problem is that the country has never been called to account for its transgressions (such as the actions of the British Empire) in the same way that Germany or Japan have.

My mistake was in thinking that "civic nationalism" was a harmless and positive form of nationalism. I've come to realise in recent years that it's not.

Edited by FilthyAnimal at 09:53:00 13-03-2018
  • thelzdking 13 Mar 2018 10:08:28 8,068 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Indeed. It's not a new phenomenon though. Right now, this viciousness, callousness and cuntishness isn't exclusively "left-wing" or "right-wing" but rather just "British". The ability of individuals in the UK to elevate themselves above it is more contingent on their ability to isolate themselves from their national identity as opposed to being (a)political.

British nationalism is toxic, it always has been. Same with the Yanks. The problem is that the country has never been called to account for its transgressions (such as the actions of the British Empire) in the same way that Germany or Japan have.

My mistake was in thinking that "civic nationalism" was a harmless and positive form of nationalism. I've come to realise in recent years that it's not.
    +1
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2018 11:04:18 74,017 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Japan are, apparently, the worst in the developed world for it.

They barely allow anything to be taught that casts them in a negative light, so a lot of the population think Japan were hard done by in the war and did nothing wrong.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2018 11:05:21 74,017 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Same goes for their atrocities in China and Corea.
  • disusedgenius 13 Mar 2018 11:05:24 9,140 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, in the grand scheme of things I think we have a decent awareness of our colonial past, certainly compared to most.

That's still damning with faint praise, though.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2018 11:08:37 74,017 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We are aware of it, the shame is that some people are actually proud that we had our boots on the throats of half the world.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Mar 2018 11:09:40 1,059 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Japan are, apparently, the worst in the developed world for it.

They barely allow anything to be taught that casts them in a negative light, so a lot of the population think Japan were hard done by in the war and did nothing wrong.
    The Japanese are a bit sore about it because they believe they would have won if America hadn't dropped two nuclear weapons on them.
  • disusedgenius 13 Mar 2018 11:11:24 9,140 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, but at least their complaint is that they're annoyed that they're being told to feel bad about it. A lot of countries are mostly either unaware (such as the US, who seem to have wiped the whole Philippines/Hawaii stuff from their collective memory) or don't give a shit about it (like France).

That still doesn't make British nationalism any less bad than any other kind of nationalism, of course.

Edited by disusedgenius at 11:11:51 13-03-2018
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2018 11:13:25 74,017 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    At least it's an honest nationalism.

'i want to get back to a time when we were the biggest dog in the park and could be cunts to everyone'

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.