Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Freedom!
    I won't let you down
    I will not give you up
  • chopsen 13 Jun 2018 09:56:10 20,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure the average clientèle of Spoons will give a shit. They're price sensitive drinkers who want to sit in a pub and shitfaced on the cheap.
  • thelzdking 13 Jun 2018 09:56:41 8,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:
    Freedom!
    I won't let you down
    I will not give you up
    I'm glad George didn't have to live through this shitshow :'(
  • nickthegun 13 Jun 2018 09:57:39 74,710 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Not sure the average clientèle of Spoons will give a shit. They're price sensitive drinkers who want to sit in a pub and shitfaced on the cheap.
    They will give a shit when all they have to sup is carling
  • thelzdking 13 Jun 2018 09:57:44 8,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Is this a very diplomatic way of saying that they're unemployed drunkards?
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jun 2018 10:01:36 8,758 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does that mean Curry Club is gone as it's a bit too forrin?
  • senso-ji 13 Jun 2018 10:07:50 8,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    I think that's the worrying point about that story; it's possible the head of Spoons thinks he'll be able to manipulate the wholesale price of British Booze so he can turn a profit. Unless the wine makers tell him to fuck off and sell it to him at a higher price, in which case everyone loses.
  • chopsen 13 Jun 2018 10:08:48 20,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    They will give a shit when all they have to sup is carling
    Don't think they'd really give a shit and would probably be quite happy with that.

I know they also do their line of just-before-sell-by-date line of ales for the beer-snob ponce brigade, but their main business model is people who want to get pissed on the cheap on whatever is cheap.

Although if the end game for Martin is to not be dependent on any European supplies, it's means it's going to end up like a Sam Smiths: selling stuff nobody recognises at bargain prices.
  • chopsen 13 Jun 2018 10:10:14 20,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    Drinking out is very expensive these days. Some people decide with their wallet more than anything. You're not going to a spoons for the quality of the grub or the atmosphere are you?
  • thelzdking 13 Jun 2018 10:11:08 8,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Does that mean Curry Club is gone as it's a bit too forrin?
    They're thinking of either making it more British by introducing salad cream into the curries, or replacing with Spam Club.
  • senso-ji 13 Jun 2018 10:12:49 8,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steak and Ale pie club
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jun 2018 10:17:11 8,758 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    Drinking out is very expensive these days. Some people decide with their wallet more than anything. You're not going to a spoons for the quality of the grub or the atmosphere are you?
    I don't know, I often liken a punch up in the local spoons to how it must have felt being at the Colosseum in its pomp.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 10:17:34 13-06-2018
  • chopsen 13 Jun 2018 10:18:15 20,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    I think that's the worrying point about that story; it's possible the head of Spoons thinks he'll be able to manipulate the wholesale price of British Booze so he can turn a profit. Unless the wine makers tell him to fuck off and sell it to him at a higher price, in which case everyone loses.
    Like I said above, if he goes down the line of being more similar to Sam Smiths (then that could work quite well. You'd have a lot of brands which would suddenly have a lot better distribution through high street pubs that otherwise would not have. Crucially not being tied to a single brewery would mean they could still sell Carling and the like so people don't get scared off by the weirdness.

Or, yeah, he just screws over the small suppliers due to size.
  • Dgzter 13 Jun 2018 10:20:28 2,383 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I once witnessed a chap squeezing a sachet of ketchup onto his curry in a Spoons. I believe he was gently whispering: 'take that, society' at the time.

Given the length of time ago, that may actually have been ground zero for Brexit.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jun 2018 10:21:57 8,758 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    I once witnessed a chap squeezing a sachet of ketchup onto his curry in a Spoons. I believe he was gently whispering: 'take that, society' at the time.

Given the length of time ago, that may actually have been ground zero for Brexit.
    Quaddy was probably on the table opposite doing the same but with salad cream and giving the guy a solidarity thumbs up.
  • nickthegun 13 Jun 2018 10:25:58 74,710 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spoons was always the grudging pitstop to load up on cheap booze before moving onto somewhere else.
  • RyanDS 13 Jun 2018 10:34:08 11,896 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    chopsen wrote:

I know they also do their line of just-before-sell-by-date line of ales for the beer-snob ponce brigade,
    That has never been true. As much as I despise Martin the reason that Spoons is cheap is sheer market power and shrewd business. The beer there is the exact same quality and date range as any other pub chain.

/had the misfortune to run pubs a few years back.
  • thelzdking 13 Jun 2018 10:35:15 8,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The beer at my local Wetherspoons tastes seriously weird.
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Jun 2018 10:45:00 7,249 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I well fancy a pint of Alpine Lager now.
  • TheSaint 13 Jun 2018 11:30:19 17,884 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    The beer at my local Wetherspoons tastes seriously weird.
    I was under the impression that they only brought stuff that was about to go off, which is why they could sell it so cheap.

That might just be an urban myth though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jun 2018 11:39:38 7,502 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Probably a classist myth
  • Jyzzy-Z 13 Jun 2018 11:41:48 3,422 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah as Ryan said (and as someone who has also worked in that trade in the past) it's a myth. They just have the money and influence to buy lots of beer wholesale.
  • RyanDS 13 Jun 2018 12:00:23 11,896 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If your turnover is £1.6 BILLION with 1,000 pubs you get to pay what you want for your beer. The deals they can get must be amazing.
  • elstoof 13 Jun 2018 12:03:38 20,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who the fuck buys champagne in spoons when they’re knocking out prosecco for a fiver
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Jun 2018 12:10:25 7,249 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd rather drink the result of someone knocking one out than prosecco.
  • Dougs 13 Jun 2018 13:06:40 86,220 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I well fancy a pint of Alpine Lager now.
    Sam Smiths? Never been a fan. The ale is nice if you drink it quickly. And it is dirt fucking cheap.
  • minky-kong 13 Jun 2018 13:19:21 13,808 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No champagne at Wetherspoons? How on earth will Darren celebrate only getting 20 hours of community service now?
  • senso-ji 13 Jun 2018 13:23:02 8,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reading the Spoons decision in more detail, it seems it's just a business decision dressed up as patriotism:

100,000 battles of Champagne sold last year - cut it.
    6 million bottles of Kopaberg sold last year - No we'll still sell those.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jun 2018 13:25:03 8,758 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    No champagne at Wetherspoons? How on earth will Darren celebrate only getting 20 hours of community service now?
    Don't think he wants to get his Topman suit covered in bubbly.
  • thelzdking 13 Jun 2018 13:27:18 8,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a Matalan suit.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.