Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1030

• Ddanno 11 Oct 2018 13:55:16 1,317 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They probably have huts serving pizza. Much as we will soon have Fray Bentos huts in the glorious future being offered to us ifonlysomeoneknewwhatitis

And fish and chip huts only we can't get vinegar because it's French, only curry sauce

Edited by Ddanno at 13:56:15 11-10-2018
  • captain-Snufkin 11 Oct 2018 13:55:32 763 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Tbf sun grown tomatoes from around the mediterranean are hard to replicate.
  • elstoof 11 Oct 2018 13:57:32 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good job you can put them in tins and transport them worldwide then
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 13:57:54 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @elstoof
    I imagine that in your world itís easy to get fresh tomatoes in the uk that are as good as those in Spain and Italy.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 13:58:33 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Good job you can put them in tins and transport them worldwide then
    Yes and tinned and fresh tomatoes are exactly the same.
  • elstoof 11 Oct 2018 13:59:57 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They use tinned in Italy for fuckís sake
  • elstoof 11 Oct 2018 14:01:35 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unless you think tomatoes are grown by the magical Mediterranean sun all year round?
  • DJCopa 11 Oct 2018 14:02:39 1,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Found the Pizza thread at last - what Mod changed the title to some politics bollocks?
  • Youthist 11 Oct 2018 14:04:14 13,517 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    we are really tackling the big issues now.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 14:04:29 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    They use tinned in Italy for fuckís sake
    Fuck me, my Bruschetta had some really good impressions of fresh tomatoes despite being tinned.
  • askew 11 Oct 2018 14:05:27 17,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I believe Italy is just like the Dolmio adverts.
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Oct 2018 14:05:46 8,786 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have we sold Wales to Italy as part of a Brexit exit fees deal?
  • Zomoniac 11 Oct 2018 14:07:15 9,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To bring it back on topic for a novelty:

https://opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/james-cusick-adam-ramsay/met-police-stall-brexit-campaign-investigations-claiming-polit

Can't say I'm remotely surprised. Nothing will come of it.
  • elstoof 11 Oct 2018 14:08:48 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My word. Do me a favour and read yourself back next time you wonder why everyone thinks youíre a cunt
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 14:09:39 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    My word. Do me a favour and read yourself back next time you wonder why everyone thinks youíre a cunt
    Youíre being every bit of a tiresome twat as I am.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 14:10:13 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I believe Italy is just like the Dolmio adverts.
    I need to watch the Glaswegian dubbed ones again.
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2018 14:10:37 87,357 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Genuinely prefer (a good) fresh supermarket pizzas to all the high st chains other than Pizza Express tbh.
  • Zomoniac 11 Oct 2018 14:10:58 9,836 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I thought that was directed at me for a minute!
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 14:13:48 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Oct 2018 14:15:31 6,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @monkman76 Their complaints (as far as I can see) are more in relation to Schengen, as in all those 'bad terrorists' can easily cross the borders unchecked. I don't think they want to end or curb FoM itself. I mean, these are all populists and we all know how they operate, easy solutions to difficult problems and if it doesn't work out blame the EU, knowing that many people don't have the faintest how the EU actually works, so they get away with it.

In case of Italy for example they'd shoot themselves in the foot if they curbed FoM (same goes for Hungary, Poland, etc.) - I met a fair few Italians over the past years for example who had to resort working abroad as there's not enough jobs going around.

As for the AfD, they engage in a culture war against refugees/muslims (they essentially teamed up with the far right Pegida crowd), I have not heard them have a go at other EU citizens/FoM and I do follow German news on a daily basis.

Edit: I just googled their programme, and they do have a line on FoM - fair enough. It's definitely not brought into the public discourse to even remotely the same extent as the above. Whenever the topic of immigration comes up (be it in the press, or on the street) it's always about those of a different colour/religion.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 14:26:16 11-10-2018
  • Alastair 11 Oct 2018 14:23:19 22,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    The difference is, you manage it day in, day out.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2018 14:25:33 75,830 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I stayed in an ibis a few months ago and one of the few hot food items they do are pizzas.

As I left one morning I saw a dude dragging in one of those metal storage cages with hundreds of bog standard Chicago Town pizzas in it.

Suddenly, 12 quid a pizza felt like a bit of a rip off.
  • askew 11 Oct 2018 14:29:24 17,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    :D
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 14:29:34 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    The difference is, you manage it day in, day out.
    You overestimate me.
  • monkman76 11 Oct 2018 14:29:51 13,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll Fair enough. I confess I didn't google AfD :)

Still though, we know for almost certain that plenty of Brits voted to leave the EU thinking that that would end immigration altogether. I can't (quite) believe that British people are uniquely stupid in that regard.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Oct 2018 14:35:59 12,824 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Today you claim that your stilton and chorizo pizza tastes exactly the same as a salami and scamorza pizza in Naples, I remain skeptical.
    No I didnít, but I can say with confidence that a Stilton and chorizo pizza in Naples would taste the same as one in London, if there was a restaurant offering it. The crust is equally as good, the tomatoes are the same as used in Naples, the cheese is either imported from Italy or made more locally in the same way - they just offer some options that you might like to try if you wanted to. The chorizo isnít even Spanish chorizo, just a lightly seasoned cured sausage thatís thickly cut. More authentic than pepperoni at least
    The tomato thing is the one point I disagree with you about. English tomatoes are shit. They just don't have the same flavour as the rest of the Europe, and it's the reason our pizza isn't as tasty.

However, I've had amazingly tasty proper pizza in Spain, Germany, France etc as well as Italy and they were all the same, so the broader point is correct.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Oct 2018 14:39:12 12,824 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, I see we covered the tomatoes thing already.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Oct 2018 14:41:21 6,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @monkman76 Not just the British. The rise of the AfD genuinely scares me, especially since they've gone full on Nazis at this stage, and people at this stage voting for them show they either don't care or endorse it. Shameful especially considering the country's past.

Sunday's local election in Bavaria will be one to watch. Right now it seems the protest voters are moving towards the Green's rather than further right, which gives me a little hope.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2018 14:41:28 24,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Today you claim that your stilton and chorizo pizza tastes exactly the same as a salami and scamorza pizza in Naples, I remain skeptical.
    No I didnít, but I can say with confidence that a Stilton and chorizo pizza in Naples would taste the same as one in London, if there was a restaurant offering it. The crust is equally as good, the tomatoes are the same as used in Naples, the cheese is either imported from Italy or made more locally in the same way - they just offer some options that you might like to try if you wanted to. The chorizo isnít even Spanish chorizo, just a lightly seasoned cured sausage thatís thickly cut. More authentic than pepperoni at least
    The tomato thing is the one point I disagree with you about. English tomatoes are shit. They just don't have the same flavour as the rest of the Europe, and it's the reason our pizza isn't as tasty.

However, I've had amazingly tasty proper pizza in Spain, Germany, France etc as well as Italy and they were all the same, so the broader point is correct.
    The discussion was specifically about Naples pizza, Iíve had great pizza in and outside Italy but havenít had pizza like in Naples.
    No one is suggesting that you can only get good pizza in Italy.
  • Not-a-reviewer 11 Oct 2018 14:43:39 5,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Part of why it can seem better in Italy is because youíre in Italy eating Italian food, the atmosphere is part of it.

Imagine eating a roast dinner in Barcelona. It could be amazing but itís not the same as having it in some slightly musty smelling pub in the middle of winter in the uk.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.