Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1058

• Load_2.0 30 Oct 2018 14:05:25 28,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    I believe the Chelsea Pensioners also get some of the proceeds.
    They need a re-brand.The name doesn't conjure up images of poverty.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Oct 2018 14:07:54 6,180 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe a silly question, but to what extent do veterans rely on contributions from poppy sales? Shouldn't the state be 100% responsible for providing full support?
  • brokenkey 30 Oct 2018 14:18:56 9,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Maybe a silly question, but to what extent do veterans rely on contributions from poppy sales? Shouldn't the state be 100% responsible for providing full support?
    Their funds are quite wide-ranging. Been in the army and go to prison - you can get a grant for re-training. Become a drug addict? Get a grant for a PS4.

Edited by brokenkey at 14:19:14 30-10-2018
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Oct 2018 14:21:41 12,676 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, my post was merely a commentary on why Rememberance is an easier sell if the prospective poppy-buyer is thinking about Sean Connery in A Bridge Too Far, or Colonel Blackadder, rather than Simon Weston CBE.
    I don't have the data but I suspect younger generations don't really connect with any of this stuff. The white poppy thing seems a really smart way of shifting the conversation to something more relevant to them. Shame it's become politicised.
  • sport 30 Oct 2018 14:23:35 14,656 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Their funds are quite wide-ranging. Been in the army and go to prison - you can get a grant for re-training. Become a drug addict? Get a grant for a PS4.
    Isn't there a GoFundMe page to help veterans buy PS4s?
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Oct 2018 14:25:52 6,180 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    /enlists
  • Dougs 31 Oct 2018 08:24:43 87,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status/1057349232389165056?s=19
  • RichDC 31 Oct 2018 08:56:38 7,952 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dougs I think Yvette Cooper's reaction sums it up perfectly.

https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1057375934867824642?s=09
  • Dougs 31 Oct 2018 09:02:26 87,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I saw that. It is astonishing
  • nickthegun 31 Oct 2018 09:20:14 75,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've run out of hate for the Tories. It's like being mad at a dog for shitting on the carpet or a cat bringing in a dead bird, they are acting like wankers but it's in their nature.

I'm really starting to focus my ire on Oh, Jeremy Corbyn, the useless piece of shit that he is.
  • Dougs 31 Oct 2018 09:23:44 87,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had to turn off his response to the budget. He'd lost all control and was just foaming at the mouth.
  • DamoVotf 31 Oct 2018 09:28:29 1,422 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    @DamoVotf

They do. Loads of poppy stuff for modern wars and contemporary soldiers.

And I can’t see why they wouldn’t sell it as a recent war thing?
    No issues supporting former soldiers, I think its a shambles they arent better taken care of by the government.

I see your point, I was just thinking of the unpopularity of those wars (in reality its unrelated to the need to support soldiers).
  • macmurphy 31 Oct 2018 09:40:21 3,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DamoVotf

Yeah, I was a bit high-horsey. I think most people are smart enough to realise that people who serve aren’t always responsible for the wars they take part in.

I’m conscious that seems a slight paradox. Most servicemen and women are just trying to do a difficult job well, and even though political and policy decisions can make campaigns unwinnable or unwise, it shouldn’t take away from the personal sacrifice of soldiers often doing nothing more than trying to look after the people alongside them.

I think the British public gets this, and I think you have to use modern wars in charity campaigns because it makes it relevant and because there are an awful lot of ex-soldiers from modern conflicts that need help.
  • nickthegun 31 Oct 2018 09:49:07 75,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of the problems I have with poppies and whatnot is that it props up the negligence of the government. If you fight for this country, we should look after you. Same with the school PTA always coming at you with their hands out. We are funding things that should be funded by the government.

We pay enough taxes to do these things but we spend it on things like trident missiles and commemorative coins.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:49:46 31-10-2018
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Oct 2018 09:50:34 12,676 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You could make a similar point for pretty much every charity.
  • fontgeeksogood 31 Oct 2018 09:54:41 3,223 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I've run out of hate for the Tories. It's like being mad at a dog for shitting on the carpet or a cat bringing in a dead bird, they are acting like wankers but it's in their nature.

I'm really starting to focus my ire on Oh, Jeremy Corbyn, the useless piece of shit that he is.
    This is correct.

The Tories are being nasty - that's standard. The opposition aren't opposing - that's fucking bullshit
  • monkman76 31 Oct 2018 10:18:45 13,662 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Higgy will be here any moment with a "wow" or an "oh boy".
  • JamboWayOh 31 Oct 2018 10:21:06 9,932 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Higgy will be here any moment with a "wow" or an "oh boy".
    Methinks a 'We'll see' is in order here.
  • nickthegun 31 Oct 2018 10:21:07 75,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I pretty much do, to be honest. Charities for things that we should be funding as standard is one of the many, many things that really grinds my gears.
  • Load_2.0 31 Oct 2018 10:25:20 28,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Speaking of charities. Either Oxfam or Save the Children popped up on my facebook feed as someone I know must have "liked" it.

The comments were full of so much bile and hatred. "Stop sending money to Africa", "It's run by paedo's", "The CEO makes too much" etc. Though the most recurring comment was people reporting that only 1p in every dollar made it to the country (It varied from 1 to 5 pence)

That's was despite the Charity actually replying with facts on the salaries of their senior staff and a clear and detailed breakdown of the money was spent.

People don't give a fuck about facts, if they find a post or tweet that aligns with their views that becomes their truth.

Crazy times.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Oct 2018 10:28:53 24,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The poppy stuff shows you perfectly how fucked up the modern UK is. Utterly mental and quite depressing.
    It's really no different to the politicising of Christmas/holidays or whatever, which you see in most countries where the right wing are empowered and vocal (which is increasingly everywhere).

The poppy thing is specific to the UK but it's just our flavour of a global issue.
    Fair enough, the poppy furore seems to grow every year but yeah, I imagine the US will be quite unbearable around the Xmas holidays.
  • nickthegun 31 Oct 2018 10:36:54 75,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Load_2.0 - Tbf, many moons ago I went for a job at Oxfams HQ and found it astonishingly opulent. I know everyone has to work somewhere and they are a large organisation, but they certainly didn't scrimp on the décor.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Oct 2018 11:04:46 1,068 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

This is correct.

The Tories are being nasty - that's standard. The opposition aren't opposing - that's fucking bullshit
    I've come to the conclusion that keeping up with the news now is legitimately bad for my health, and little else. I might be "well informed", but being that way makes little to no difference when around 3/4 of the electorate are idiots and 90% of politicians are self-serving cunts; the only tangible effect I've actually noticed from my attempts is that I'm on medication for my blood pressure now.

The sheer amount of crazy or inept I read, on a daily basis, from either side of the pond, is both utterly mind-blowing and exhausting at the same time.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 31 Oct 2018 11:09:13 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

This is correct.

I've come to the conclusion that keeping up with the news now is legitimately bad for my health, and little else. I might be "well informed", but being that way makes little to no difference when around 3/4 of the electorate are idiots and 90% of politicians are self-serving cunts; the only tangible effect I've actually noticed from my attempts is that I'm on medication for my blood pressure now.

The sheer amount of crazy or inept I read, on a daily basis, from either side of the pond, is both utterly mind-blowing and exhausting at the same time.
    The problem is there is now so much media content being generated and we are being microtargeted due to complex algorithms and psychological manipulation with the goal to influence us and our purchasing descesions we are now all living in our own personal constructed version of reality.
  • X201 31 Oct 2018 11:14:14 18,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:

The problem is there is now so much media content being generated and we are being microtargeted due to complex algorithms and psychological manipulation with the goal to influence us and our purchasing descesions we are now all living in our own personal constructed version of reality.

Edited by X201 at 11:15:18 31-10-2018
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Oct 2018 11:17:37 1,068 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That only really applies if you've already decided that's what you want, i.e. if you're on facecunt, twatter, etc.

(I've never been on facecunt, twatter, etc.)

Social media is possibly the most oxymoron thing humans have ever done. And that's saying something.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 31 Oct 2018 11:24:58 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:

This made me shit my pants, both figuratively and literally
  • whatfruitlivesagain 31 Oct 2018 11:30:53 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    That only really applies if you've already decided that's what you want, i.e. if you're on facecunt, twatter, etc.

(I've never been on facecunt, twatter, etc.)

Social media is possibly the most oxymoron thing humans have ever done. And that's saying something.
    It doesn't matter if you are not because like herpes in a gay sauna the shit spreads through everything. You may not be on facebollocks, twatter, or instacunts, or snapdicks, but you use hundreds of other sites which store your data and is analysed to fuckery by some vegan cunt who smells of beard oil trying to sell you joypads.

The very fact your not one of those people on the social media sites probably puts you in a profile for bitter, broadsheets and news about how people on social media are idiots.

You can find content in five minutes which backs up whatever preconceived notion or point you want to make. This is why internet arguments are fucking pointless.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 11:40:25 31-10-2018
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Oct 2018 11:41:48 1,068 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ok
  • minky-kong 31 Oct 2018 12:09:32 13,998 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're through the looking glass here people. [/Milhouse]

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.