Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1487

  • JoelStinty 11 Apr 2019 15:51:46 7,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Andrew Rosindell on Sky News just now believes that United Kingdom is not an actual part of the European contintent.

    That is the level of MP we have managed to elect to our parliament.
  • JamboWayOh 11 Apr 2019 15:51:49 12,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    I just had to share the little bit of insanity.

    "The church takes its name from the Bible (“ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people”) and, according to its website, is “positioned for the end-time harvest.” For some Christians, the “end times” is a period of chaos and decline that prefigures the second coming of Jesus Christ – an event Eze believes is imminent.

    Afterward, he says, the world will change. Dagenham will change. People won’t die in their 50s or 60s; they’ll live for hundreds of years. Pain and suffering will vanish. Satan will be bound, along with one of his masterworks: the European Union.

    Like most Dagenham voters, Eze thinks Britain should leave the EU, but not for the usual reasons. He sees the EU’s unifying mission as proof that Satan is trying to unite mankind against God. “Brexit is God’s plan,” he says. “It might look tough and rough now. But if Britain stands its ground, it will become prosperous again. The lost glory will come back.”"

    https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/britain-eu-dagenham/
    That article was really interesting, there was on overwhelming message of wanting Britain to be white again. I was not surprised by the young kid being the most level headed and realistic. Also gotta love the immigrant wanting to deport other immigrants.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 11 Apr 2019 16:19:49 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    I just had to share the little bit of insanity.

    "The church takes its name from the Bible (“ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people”) and, according to its website, is “positioned for the end-time harvest.” For some Christians, the “end times” is a period of chaos and decline that prefigures the second coming of Jesus Christ – an event Eze believes is imminent.

    Afterward, he says, the world will change. Dagenham will change. People won’t die in their 50s or 60s; they’ll live for hundreds of years. Pain and suffering will vanish. Satan will be bound, along with one of his masterworks: the European Union.

    Like most Dagenham voters, Eze thinks Britain should leave the EU, but not for the usual reasons. He sees the EU’s unifying mission as proof that Satan is trying to unite mankind against God. “Brexit is God’s plan,” he says. “It might look tough and rough now. But if Britain stands its ground, it will become prosperous again. The lost glory will come back.”"

    https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/britain-eu-dagenham/
    That article was really interesting, there was on overwhelming message of wanting Britain to be white again. I was not surprised by the young kid being the most level headed and realistic. Also gotta love the immigrant wanting to deport other immigrants.
    I like the contrast between the old people attitude of "this place was great once it can be again if we kick the forrins out" and the young guy who is "this place is a fucking shit hole why would anyone want to stay"
  • ZuluHero 11 Apr 2019 16:22:37 7,277 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's because the young guy wasn't around in its halcyon days obvs!

    Edited by ZuluHero at 16:23:01 11-04-2019
  • RobAnybody 11 Apr 2019 16:25:16 1,677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assuming that we are still involved in the EU Elections next month, if you're a Remainer then remember to vote for Remain candidates (not UKIP or anyone in Farage's Brexit Party of course). This will not only send a positive message to the EU but it should also make the UK government sit up and take notice.
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Apr 2019 16:26:04 5,955 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So why did Kilinc vote leave? Because at the time he was upset with his Eastern European workers and wanted to punish them. “I thought, ‘I’m going to vote and kick them out of the country.’ But next day I thought: ‘That was personal. I shouldn’t mix my personal stuff with the country’s things.’ But it was too late.”
    Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 16:26:13 11-04-2019
  • grey_matters 11 Apr 2019 16:43:01 4,589 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Assuming that we are still involved in the EU Elections next month, if you're a Remainer then remember to vote for Remain candidates (not UKIP or anyone in Farage's Brexit Party of course). This will not only send a positive message to the EU but it should also make the UK government sit up and take notice.
    This is really important. If anyone cares about staying in the EU, this is pretty much your only chance to show it.

    Is it still FPTP even for euro elections there? Coz that is not helpful at all.
  • senso-ji 11 Apr 2019 16:49:23 9,259 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, thankfully, EU elections are PR.
  • X201 11 Apr 2019 16:53:43 19,069 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    remember to vote for Remain candidates (not UKIP or anyone in Farage's Brexit Party of course).
    Not Labour or Conservative either, seeing as the party hierarchy is in favour of Brexit.

    If you want to vote for Remain candidates, looks like the only choices will be Lib Dem, Greens or The Independents if they stand

    Edited by X201 at 17:01:21 11-04-2019
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Apr 2019 17:50:29 6,968 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    RobAnybody wrote:
    remember to vote for Remain candidates (not UKIP or anyone in Farage's Brexit Party of course).
    Not Labour or Conservative either, seeing as the party hierarchy is in favour of Brexit.

    If you want to vote for Remain candidates, looks like the only choices will be Lib Dem, Greens or The Independents if they stand
    Yep. Will be very interesting to see voter turnout and how people will vote. A mini referendum almost. If people will think that far, that is.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Apr 2019 17:51:05 6,968 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Andrew Rosindell on Sky News just now believes that United Kingdom is not an actual part of the European contintent.

    That is the level of MP we have managed to elect to our parliament.
    Better hand back Gibraltar and the Falklands then, based on that logic.

    Oh, and Guernsey/Jersey seem awfully close to France...

    Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 17:52:49 11-04-2019
  • Psychotext 11 Apr 2019 18:15:19 64,886 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently Remainiacs will be putting themselves forward.

    I'd love to see them get enough to have a seat. :D
  • the-cozen-show 11 Apr 2019 18:36:33 739 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    not convinced turnout will be that high - probably 80%+ turnout among ultras and a decent turnout among people who are otherwise reasonably politically engaged, while virtually no one else will bother to vote. low-to-mid 40% total turnout maybe. hard to gauge.

    turnout last time round was about 35%. extremely funny/depressing (delete as appropriate) that 5 years ago people just didn't care that much about the EU
  • Technoishmatt 11 Apr 2019 18:41:57 3,238 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    I just had to share the little bit of insanity.

    "The church takes its name from the Bible (“ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people”) and, according to its website, is “positioned for the end-time harvest.” For some Christians, the “end times” is a period of chaos and decline that prefigures the second coming of Jesus Christ – an event Eze believes is imminent.

    Afterward, he says, the world will change. Dagenham will change. People won’t die in their 50s or 60s; they’ll live for hundreds of years. Pain and suffering will vanish. Satan will be bound, along with one of his masterworks: the European Union.

    Like most Dagenham voters, Eze thinks Britain should leave the EU, but not for the usual reasons. He sees the EU’s unifying mission as proof that Satan is trying to unite mankind against God. “Brexit is God’s plan,” he says. “It might look tough and rough now. But if Britain stands its ground, it will become prosperous again. The lost glory will come back.”"

    https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/britain-eu-dagenham/
    Fundamentalists in the US (a core Trump / GOP constituency) think the same about the UN. A large number of them then thus actually support the UN because they believe it could bring about the end of times.
  • Frogofdoom 11 Apr 2019 21:52:48 12,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All no deal preparations have been stopped with immediate effect according to sky.
  • The_Goon 11 Apr 2019 22:23:34 1,206 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    All no deal preparations have been stopped with immediate effect according to sky.
    Lol. "Preparations". Best laugh I've had all day :).
  • DrStrangelove 11 Apr 2019 22:27:19 13,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only preparation I remember was setting the army on alert
  • grey_matters 11 Apr 2019 22:48:38 4,589 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    All no deal preparations have been stopped with immediate effect according to sky.
    No idea what this means. DUP about to get dumped with a NI-only backstop? Revised WA to get voted through? Doesn't seem right.

    Surely it's not more brinkmanship.
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2019 23:22:40 88,529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It just means that the Government doesn't think no deal imminent.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Apr 2019 23:26:52 19,515 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well it's not imminent, it's in October. If they can't make a deal by then, they will... what? Ask for more time again?
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2019 23:29:00 88,529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep. And if there's no progress by July, I suspect no deal prep will ramp up again
  • X201 12 Apr 2019 03:59:16 19,069 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well it's not imminent, it's in October. If they can't make a deal by then, they will... what? Ask for more time again?
    There is actually a chance it could be earlier.
    If the UK doesn’t hold EU elections we automatically get ejected on June 1st
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Apr 2019 06:56:34 6,968 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the-cozen-show wrote:
    not convinced turnout will be that high - probably 80%+ turnout among ultras and a decent turnout among people who are otherwise reasonably politically engaged, while virtually no one else will bother to vote. low-to-mid 40% total turnout maybe. hard to gauge.

    turnout last time round was about 35%. extremely funny/depressing (delete as appropriate) that 5 years ago people just didn't care that much about the EU
    I admit I never voted in EU elections before, due to a mix of disinterest (though being aware of the key benefits at least, and valuing them) and, quite frankly, taking it for granted.

    Brexit and the resurgence of the far right in Europe have hit the point home how fickle our world is so will definitely cast my vote this time (still making up my mind, probably ALDE, or even the Greens).

    Hope Brexit will be a wake up call for many in the UK too, if even just sending a signal to their own government but also the rest of Europe, where opinion of the UK has hardened quite a bit.

    As has been mentioned given the main parties are pro Brexit I can't see a big surge in Pro EU voting happen though, apart from a few percent maybe.
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2019 07:04:38 88,529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    European elections in the UK were traditionally a way to lodge a protest vote against the government of the time. I imagine little thought was given to why they were happening or who to vote for.
  • Frogofdoom 12 Apr 2019 07:13:31 12,403 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Farage will end up back in due to PR regardless I think unless his vote is heavily split with UKIP.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Apr 2019 07:18:17 6,968 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    European elections in the UK were traditionally a way to lodge a protest vote against the government of the time. I imagine little thought was given to why they were happening or who to vote for.
    And I fear that's exactly what will happen in other countries this year (apart from the extremists voting their own people in). Am dreading the results to be honest.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2019 08:59:02 77,113 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To the surprise of no one, Internet Comedian "Count Dankula" is standing as an MEP for UKIP.

    PSA: Voting for him isn't funny, kids.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Apr 2019 09:05:37 12,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    To the surprise of no one, Internet Comedian "Count Dankula" is standing as an MEP for UKIP.

    PSA: Voting for him isn't funny, kids.
    Truly the worst timeline.
  • LetsGoAGAIN 12 Apr 2019 09:07:01 703 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Big day for me today.

    I go in front of the local Brexit Party selection committee to see if I can stand as a candidate for the party.

    This me luck!
  • TheSaint 12 Apr 2019 09:09:18 18,467 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Back in the arms of Farrage, quelle surprise.

    Definitely not a massive racist though.

    Edited by TheSaint at 09:18:50 12-04-2019
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.