Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1523

• Salaman 8 Aug 2019 10:56:19 23,674 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    One has to admire the grift of getting horny dads to pay for your trip around Europe

https://twitter.com/MadeleinaKay/status/1157579504472211456?s=09
    They should have paid her to walk along while singing with those 5-10 Brexiteers on their epic march a while ago. It might've caused them to give up earlier.
  • RichDC 8 Aug 2019 10:59:18 8,402 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    He's right, she's a total grifter and a complete arse.

She was pictured not long ago laughing as she was clambering up a holocaust memorial.
    Really, I haven't seen that. I stand corrected if so.
    I've not paid attention to her too much, but everything I've seen suggests she's basically conned people into crowd funding her summer holiday around Europe under the guise of spreading some undefined pro EU message.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Aug 2019 11:01:19 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine she'll be in politics rather soon.
  • FWB 8 Aug 2019 11:02:36 56,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    No confidence is needed, yes, but not necessarily LOTO for a government of unity.

Also, LDs are a party that have been lambasted for going back on a couple of key policies when they were in coalition. They have learned from this and thus must be certain that they are not enabling Brexit in any form.

Also, https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/105795/rebecca-long-bailey-says-labour-will-not-join

A GE equals crashing out. Can see Jeremy's strategy a mile off.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Aug 2019 11:05:23 11,044 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's all fine guys, she didn't know it was a memorial, so you're safe to keep funding her 'activism'

https://twitter.com/MadeleinaKay/status/1157013238518886400?s=19

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 11:05:37 08-08-2019
  • askew 8 Aug 2019 11:09:02 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Didn't somebody cause Twitter Trouble for letting their children run through it, only for the sculptor to say there are no rules to how it should be experienced?
  • JamboWayOh 8 Aug 2019 11:09:29 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm, I've been to that memorial you'd be massively aware it was somewhere important especially if your German friends took you there.

"where are we going today?"

"oh...just some place that you don't need to know about or have any information regarding the content"
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2019 11:10:28 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FWB

Who do you think is capable of forming a Government right now, if a motion were successful?

And, as an aside, do you think unilaterally revoking A50 would be a good idea?
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Aug 2019 11:11:06 11,044 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cool. I'll take my climbing gear if I ever visit.
  • FWB 8 Aug 2019 11:11:46 56,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's really poorly signed. It really isn't obvious at all what it is. In fact, the controversy of how some people interact with it is probably one of the key reasons it's become internationally famous.
  • askew 8 Aug 2019 11:13:38 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah, it was Pink and her kids…

She also pointed out that the architect, Peter Eisenman, who designed the Holocaust Memorial, distinctly told BBC the historical site is meant to be enjoyed by the living and that it should be treated differently than the concentration camps.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38675835

I suppose they get a bit more leeway for being children…
  • FWB 8 Aug 2019 11:14:00 56,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    @FWB

Who do you think is capable of forming a Government right now, if a motion were successful?

And, as an aside, do you think unilaterally revoking A50 would be a good idea?
    A government of unity's sole purpose would be to extend A50 - yes for a long time probably, but not revoke it - and call an election.

Quite a few that could be trusted to do that, but not Jeremy.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Aug 2019 11:15:59 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The selfie at Auschwitz is wtf one for me.
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2019 11:17:08 9,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    It's all fine guys, she didn't know it was a memorial, so you're safe to keep funding her 'activism'

https://twitter.com/MadeleinaKay/status/1157013238518886400?s=19
    Her activism aside, the entire point of the design of that memorial is that it isn't meant to be a solemn place where no one talks and looks sad.

Edit: Ah, too late.

Edited by disusedgenius at 11:17:47 08-08-2019
  • FWB 8 Aug 2019 11:19:48 56,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Her video is cringy though.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2019 11:20:32 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel like you're being somewhat disingenuous considering he's long been of the position that you can't leave without a deal, and therefore A50 would have to be extended even to ratify the current agreement (and that's without considering the Party's stance on a second referendum), but I understand your point.

I can't see a way out of the log jam workout changing parliamentary arithmetic, myself. The only viable strategy - regardless of political orientation (but assuming we're all broadly of the consensus that preventing leaving without a deal is the first priority, albeit among many others) - seems to be extend A50, general election, second referendum with the question proposed by a new government.
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2019 11:25:06 9,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Then why won't they work with him to achieve stated mutual goals?
    They can work together without him being PM. If the only goal of a unity government is working out a way of organising an election/referendum then he doesn't have to be in charge for that.
  • FWB 8 Aug 2019 11:28:17 56,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Doesn't matter what he says - I still don't believe he voted remain; this is the guy calling us to announce we were leaving the day after the vote. I don't trust him one bit, and I DID vote Labour last election as I had some faith in him. Bollocks to that. He's full of shit.

Agree with your second paragraph. I think that's the only way forward, but I am also not convinced it will sort things.

That said, I still think it'll be no-deal on 1st Nov. Boris and co don't care, the rest of parliament has shown itself to be pathetically feeble and we have an opposiiton which I suspect wants it too in the hope the hit we will take will see them coming into power.

Nobody is standing up for the good of the nation.

Edited by FWB at 11:28:56 08-08-2019
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2019 11:34:27 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On your last point - I think it's worse than that. There are deeply held and deeply different views on what is for the good of the nation.
  • elstoof 8 Aug 2019 11:35:45 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Haven’t heard anyone mention Empire 2.0 for a while
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2019 11:37:48 9,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    I can't see a way out of the log jam workout changing parliamentary arithmetic, myself. The only viable strategy - regardless of political orientation (but assuming we're all broadly of the consensus that preventing leaving without a deal is the first priority, albeit among many others) - seems to be extend A50, general election, second referendum with the question proposed by a new government.
    I pretty much agree with this bit though.

The main issue is that after half a decade of throwing shit at Centralist Melts then 3 years of 4D Chess, Labour aren't exactly considered trustworthy.

What people expect is that they'd just barge in to any group agreement, throw their weight around, demand to be in charge and do what they like anyway. Which, you know, is exactly what this looks like.
  • Dougs 8 Aug 2019 11:41:03 89,926 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    and we have an opposiiton which I suspect wants it too in the hope the hit we will take will see them coming into power.

Exactly that
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2019 11:43:32 9,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    On your last point - I think it's worse than that. There are deeply held and deeply different views on what is for the good of the nation.
    Sounds like something that should be decided at an election, not piggie-backed onto a (hopefully) temporary emergency.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2019 11:44:16 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @disusedgenius

I think you're confusing people like me with the Shadow Cabinet...
  • FWB 8 Aug 2019 11:45:53 56,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    The top echelon of Labour come from radical backgrounds. That's not to say they want to implement an extreme governance, but the problem they are probably aware of is that large sways of England will never ever vote for any form of the S-word no matter what. It doesn't matter how much you want it, enough people here would rather see the country crash and burn than see it implemented - very American in that way. That means the numbers will never add up for Corbyn's Labour, so their only hope is some radical change on the ground which might push moderates over on desperation. Hence why they probably aren't that bothered about a calamitous exit.

The problem is, that's exactly what the right is thinking and they are more likely to get that swing. They're better organised and nationalism has a hell of an allure.

We leave 1st Nov, and it's going to get very, very nasty.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2019 11:46:57 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @disusedgenius

I absolutely agree, but they will (not inaccurately) argue that they have a mandate which is being frustrated, rather then enabled, by Parliament.

Try to see it from their angle; if you had the opportunity to do something that you thought would be amazing, wouldn't you want to take it? And wouldn't you try every avenue, even if those you perceived as being in the wrong kept trying to shut you down?
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2019 11:47:24 9,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    I think you're confusing people like me with the Shadow Cabinet...
    At least half of the shadow cabinet are Momentum backed, no? I don't believe for a second that the Labour leadership on some level aren't feeding the likes of The Canary, Swinton etc.
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2019 11:49:18 9,943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    I absolutely agree, but they will (not inaccurately) argue that they have a mandate which is being frustrated, rather then enabled, by Parliament.

Try to see it from their angle; if you had the opportunity to do something that you thought would be amazing, wouldn't you want to take it? And wouldn't you try every avenue, even if those you perceived as being in the wrong kept trying to shut you down?
    I can't actually tell who you mean by 'they' here! :)
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2019 11:49:40 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FWB

I don't disagree. Actually, one of my biggest frustrations with the Blair administration was that it utterly failed to make the case for social democracy and the EU whilst in power; Corbyn would have a much stronger chance if they'd done so.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Aug 2019 11:52:51 7,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    @FWB

I don't disagree. Actually, one of my biggest frustrations with the Blair administration was that it utterly failed to make the case for social democracy and the EU whilst in power; Corbyn would have a much stronger chance if they'd done so .
    Corbyn is anti Europe!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.