Following Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1544

• Dougs 9 Oct 2019 06:31:36 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye, my wife has a view that given this undercurrent of nastiness has always been there, this needed to be exposed if we have any hope of moving forward. The youth are giving me hope that not all is lost but it won't be long until they are corrupted I'm sure.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 06:52:40 7,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I kinda hope the (understandable) resentment that the youth have of what they've inherited won't be easily weaponised by the Gammonistas.

As an aside, I thought I was right on until I went to my nephew's 18th birthday party. They think about things completely different to us fogies, particularly around sexuality
  • Hog-lumps 9 Oct 2019 07:51:36 1,082 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1181591585420709888?s=09
    Avacado rations 😁

Edited by Hog-lumps at 08:15:54 09-10-2019
  • grey_matters 9 Oct 2019 10:28:19 4,817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Aye, my wife has a view that given this undercurrent of nastiness has always been there, this needed to be exposed if we have any hope of moving forward. The youth are giving me hope that not all is lost but it won't be long until they are corrupted I'm sure.
    I think your wife is correct, it was certainly there in the 90s anyway. It would have been great to move forward without this shitscape but the current system doesn't really encourage that.

I also agree that this generation coming up look to be a great one (the usual outliers notwithstanding). Again if the system doesn't change enough for them to feel some kind of agency, they will be lost too.

There's a huge opportunity for the UK to come out the other side of this as the most modern, progressive region in Europe but it looks like it will be piecemeal. Scotland split, probable united Ireland soon after, Wales will have to decide what it wants to be while England has an internal fight over its soul. Being patriotic has to be dragged out of the hands of the jingoistic populist fuckers, the racists, and the hooligans. WW2 fetishism has to fade away a bit. Getting the voting system right so that the new generation have some power to effect change will be the best fight for this generation. And getting the BBC to work on truth as a metric more than balance, likewise.

Edited by grey_matters at 11:13:47 09-10-2019
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2019 10:33:39 78,777 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On the flipside to the positivity of youth, there is also the trend of young people being, basically, proud of being fascists.

There seem to be a lot more 'out' junior tories than there used to be.
  • grey_matters 9 Oct 2019 11:11:37 4,817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    On the flipside to the positivity of youth, there is also the trend of young people being, basically, proud of being fascists.

There seem to be a lot more 'out' junior tories than there used to be.
    Yeah, maybe that's right. I'm mostly going off anecdotal but actual interactions and discounting twitter-magnified signals. Probably too much, but I like to be a bit optimistic. Also, Hague and Rees-Mogg were public from a young age. And the BNP had plenty of young members in Manchester in the 90s from what I could see.
  • Psiloc 9 Oct 2019 11:24:46 5,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The idea of fascists/general right wingers being 'out' reminded me of a thought I had the other day - does anybody else remember a time when conservatives were too stupid or too judgemental to learn how to use the internet/social media and the web was generally left-leaning? Facebook is a decent example of this, I vividly remember a few years where the userbase was 90% liberal studious types who could string a few words together.
  • grey_matters 9 Oct 2019 11:41:10 4,817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    The idea of fascists/general right wingers being 'out' reminded me of a thought I had the other day - does anybody else remember a time when conservatives were too stupid or too judgemental to learn how to use the internet/social media and the web was generally left-leaning? Facebook is a decent example of this, I vividly remember a few years where the userbase was 90% liberal studious types who could string a few words together.
    Gamergate was somewhere near the switchover time. Maybe even right on it.

Which makes the gaming community one of the few to have had some success standing up against these shitehawks. Although on the other hand, it also had a festering sub-culture that allowed this kind of thing to gestate.

Edited by grey_matters at 11:45:08 09-10-2019
  • DaM 9 Oct 2019 12:35:01 17,384 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've had to have a word with our 15 yr old about a few comments he's made, picking hard right stuff up from Youtube and whatever elese the kids use.

eg "There isn't a white history month", "Feminism has gone too far". Have had to point out to him that there is a danger of radicalisation of gamers by the far right at the mo. Easily led! I've painted a huge Jeremy Corbyn mural on his bedroom wall for balance.
  • alt-cmd-esc 9 Oct 2019 12:48:09 346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hope you used lead-based paint? ;)
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Oct 2019 12:59:51 11,291 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I've had to have a word with our 15 yr old about a few comments he's made, picking hard right stuff up from Youtube and whatever elese the kids use.

eg "There isn't a white history month", "Feminism has gone too far". Have had to point out to him that there is a danger of radicalisation of gamers by the far right at the mo. Easily led! I've painted a huge Jeremy Corbyn mural on his bedroom wall for balance.
    Gulag the fucker or just sell him to Cappy.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 13:06:51 09-10-2019
  • DaM 9 Oct 2019 13:05:53 17,384 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    I hope you used lead-based paint? ;)
    Sourced some proper People's Communist Red from my contacts in China.
  • Hog-lumps 9 Oct 2019 14:08:06 1,082 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So it seems they've apologised for that Germany tweet;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/09/arron-banks-apologises-for-xenophobic-tweet-targeting-merkel
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Oct 2019 14:24:06 7,438 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hog-lumps wrote:
    So it seems they've apologised for that Germany tweet;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/09/arron-banks-apologises-for-xenophobic-tweet-targeting-merkel
    Very much doubt it's a genuine apology and either way they can shove that where the sun don't shine.

Wasn't the first time and won't be the last either.
  • alt-cmd-esc 9 Oct 2019 14:27:14 346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really don't think we should be apologising for winning 2 world wars until Germany apologises for starting them

Edited by alt-cmd-esc at 14:28:07 09-10-2019
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2019 14:29:13 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's always a 'but'

Edited by Dougs at 14:29:21 09-10-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 14:50:12 7,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    I really don't think we should be apologising for winning 2 world wars until Germany apologises for starting them
    I remember
    that tackle from Moore
    And when Lineker scored
    Bobby belting the ball
    And Nobby dancing
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2019 14:57:05 7,937 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    Gamergate was somewhere near the switchover time. Maybe even right on it.

Which makes the gaming community one of the few to have had some success standing up against these shitehawks. Although on the other hand, it also had a festering sub-culture that allowed this kind of thing to gestate.
    My understanding of the 'gaming community' is that it is 90% shitehawkes.

It is easy to lose sight of this on EG because we tend to close ranks and stamp out the worst offenders (and long may it continue) but in reality we are an island in the storm.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2019 15:05:49 14,245 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty sure all of this is the fault of Rebekah Vardy
  • X201 9 Oct 2019 15:51:21 19,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Pretty sure all of this is the fault of Rebekah Vardy
    Frogofdoom's legal team would like to point out that when Mr Doom said it was the fault of Rebekah Vardy what he actually meant was that it was the fault of someone operating her Facebook account. It was not a direct accusation to Mrs Vardy. Mr Doom would like to apologise for any distress caused to Mrs Vardy, her multi-millionaire husband, or his highly paid legal team.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 16:04:25 7,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Vardys' legal rep is actually from Chat, Shit and Get-Banged LLC

Edited by fontgeeksogood at 16:04:38 09-10-2019
  • brokenkey 9 Oct 2019 16:11:15 10,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    First bit is certainly right, but the second bit, about giving it an airing, I don't agree with. It needed to be buried so deep that it died of oxygen starvation. Airing it just gives it credibility.

Nothing against your wife though, I'm sure she's a lovely person.
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2019 18:13:21 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's ok to disagree with someone without qualifying it. I'm not sure I wholly agree either tbh but from personal experience, education and exposure to other cultures definitely has a positive impact. Either way, the cat is out of the bag now and we need to find a way past it. Genuinely hate what this country has become.
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2019 18:15:48 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    On another note, I see the Brexiteers are up in arms about the new head of the EP apparently admitting he's been colluding with Bercow on next steps. Now, I've not watched the footage but something doesn't quite ring true about that to me.
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2019 09:30:32 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    https://twitter.com/carryonkeith/status/1182176398099828736

Sigh
  • JamboWayOh 10 Oct 2019 09:50:06 15,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    https://twitter.com/carryonkeith/status/1182176398099828736

Sigh
    It's alright mate they can feed themselves with hope, freedom and SOVEREIGNTY.
  • Psychotext 10 Oct 2019 09:54:48 65,638 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mmm...delicious sovereignty.
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2019 09:55:37 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't blame the people of Sunderland though.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Oct 2019 09:59:28 15,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I don't blame the people of Sunderland though.
    Mate, they have to take some responsibility for their actions you can say they're not the soulless cunts forcing this situation but you have to take responsibility for sticking your hand into the lion cage while the idiot next to you says it doesn't bite.
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2019 10:06:26 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They believed what they were told. It's all so fucking heartbreaking, and this is only just the beginning.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.