Following Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1608

• Dgzter 10 Sep 2020 19:59:21 3,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    At least our serving Attorney General isn't utterly and completely out of her fucking depth: https://twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304076133827309569?s=20
  • General_Martok 10 Sep 2020 20:41:51 1,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "Parliament must remain sovereign" so why the fuck did you agree something that you had no intention of keeping then?

Fucking cunts.

I hate this government with every fibre of my being.
  • senso-ji 10 Sep 2020 20:57:24 10,127 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So 'sovereignty' is the magic word which allows contracts to be broken? Does this mean I can stop paying my phone contract because I must have sovereignty over my finances?
  • BreadBinLidHero 10 Sep 2020 21:08:39 10,339 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Something on the radio earlier about the EU being within their rights to impose sanctions if the UK fuck everything off.

Sounds like a Brexiteer's dream. Proof positive that Europe are inherently bad and hate those plucky Brits.

What a fucking shitshow.

Edited by thelzdking at 21:09:15 10-09-2020
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2020 22:33:29 97,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Peston/status/1304131578638012416

Remarkable given this from the chap above.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304116578678603790
  • dfunked09 10 Sep 2020 22:38:34 1,451 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yep absolutely fuck all will happen and Borris and his cronies will continue fucking us into the ground to keep their rich pals rich... Fuck me, I sound like a guardian commentator, but they're all still cunts.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Sep 2020 22:38:39 22,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    At least our serving Attorney General isn't utterly and completely out of her fucking depth: https://twitter.com/ProfMarkElliott/status/1304076133827309569?s=20
    I thought it was public knowledge that the AG was highly incompetent and highly compromised, interpreting the law to whatever suits the government?
  • JamboWayOh 10 Sep 2020 22:41:30 22,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Something on the radio earlier about the EU being within their rights to impose sanctions if the UK fuck everything off.

Sounds like a Brexiteer's dream. Proof positive that Europe are inherently bad and hate those plucky Brits.

What a fucking shitshow.
    Tbf blaming the EU was always going to be the play and make it as if breaking international law is something we can do because of SOVEREIGNTY.
  • TheSaint 10 Sep 2020 23:03:27 20,283 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As a few commentators have pointed out they were hoping to start a war of words with Brussels and labour but both are too smart to take the bait.

This was shown with Johnsonís scripted closing remarks at pmqs banging on about remainers, even though brexit hadnít been mentioned once.
  • TheSaint 10 Sep 2020 23:05:19 20,283 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Dgzter wrote:
    I thought it was public knowledge that the AG was highly incompetent and highly compromised, interpreting the law to whatever suits the government?
    Under normal circumstances she would have had to resign over her comments about the Cummings road trip.

This is the first time sheís stuck her head up since then.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Sep 2020 23:14:07 22,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Dgzter wrote:
    Under normal circumstances she would have had to resign over her comments about the Cummings road trip.

This is the first time sheís stuck her head up since then.
    Ahhh, never apologise, never explain.
  • Malek86 11 Sep 2020 13:02:27 11,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's a deal!

... with Japan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54116606

Critics said while the deal may be of symbolic importance it would boost UK GDP by only 0.07%, a fraction of the trade that could be lost with the EU.
    Baby steps, I guess?
  • JamboWayOh 11 Sep 2020 13:05:56 22,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    There's a deal!

... with Japan.

Critics said while the deal may be of symbolic importance it would boost UK GDP by only 0.07%, a fraction of the trade that could be lost with the EU.
    Baby steps, I guess?
    SO MUCH WINNING!! TAKE THAT FOOKIN REMAINERS!!! EMPIRE 2.0!!!!
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Sep 2020 13:16:16 8,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    There's a deal!

... with Japan.

Baby steps, I guess?
    I particularly like this bit here.

And there is good reason for Japan cooperating to ensure this deal was secured in record time. It stands to get the lions share, 80%, of the total estimated £15bn boost to trade for both countries.
    BEND OVER BRITAIN

What I also found interesting earlier was the TV news coverage BBC World News vs Euronews.

While the JP/UK trade deal made the headlines on BBC, the plan of breaking international law and Gove's latest statement didn't get covered at all. Euronews on the other hand covered both, but given the potential repercussions focused on the latter. Have to say that from being my number one news source the BBC has dropped to the bottom especially over the past year or so.

Anyways, I'm sure Japan will follow the next few weeks and months very closely, and given their parliament still needs to approve this deal (by January is the plan apparently as per the above article) I'd say watch this space.

Edit - and those comments on that article.... lol.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 15:20:28 11-09-2020
  • Rhaegyr 11 Sep 2020 13:29:38 5,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Northern Ireland Secretary admits new bill will 'break international law'

It definitely got covered (with 6000 comments to boot).
  • JamboWayOh 11 Sep 2020 13:42:03 22,460 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Some of those comments are unsurprisingly bone headed as is the norm. It's the same 'logic' as Trump supporters where anything can be twisted to support your own twisted mind set but if the opposition attempt the same stance then they're enemies of the country.
  • Rhaegyr 11 Sep 2020 13:44:52 5,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed - it's the tiniest bit heartening to see 95% of the upvoted comments criticising the government though.

BBC comments tend to swing completely one way or the other (as shown by the comments on the Japan/UK trade deal).

Think I need to stop reading the comments in general to be honest.
  • General_Martok 11 Sep 2020 14:10:34 1,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    As a few commentators have pointed out they were hoping to start a war of words with Brussels and labour but both are too smart to take the bait.

This was shown with Johnsonís scripted closing remarks at pmqs banging on about remainers, even though brexit hadnít been mentioned once.
    Yeah I noticed that! It was bizarre. One minute Johnson was answering a question on Covid then he went off on one about Brexit for no apparent reason.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Sep 2020 15:18:56 8,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

I was talking about TV coverage, not online.

Edited the above post to make that clearer.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 15:20:10 11-09-2020
  • TheSaint 11 Sep 2020 16:03:34 20,283 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

Yeah I noticed that! It was bizarre. One minute Johnson was answering a question on Covid then he went off on one about Brexit for no apparent reason.
    He was channelling his inner Ron Burgundy and reading whatever was put in front of him whether it was relevant or not.
  • IRWATWO 12 Sep 2020 07:44:56 959 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Johnson says if Tory MPs don't back his latest wheeze, the EU could slice up the UK.

So the deal he signed, and told everyone was the way forward, he now says is a threat to the integrity of the nation. So in fact, Johnson is a threat to the integrity of the nation.

Imagine if this was Corbyn. There would be calls to string him up from a lamppost. Perhaps some Johnson voters could string themselves up from lampposts, cheer the rest of us up.
  • Dougs 12 Sep 2020 07:48:18 97,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The revisionism is amazing. It was obvious to everyone that a border down the Irish Sea was the result of the WA.
  • IRWATWO 12 Sep 2020 08:11:31 959 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dougs wrote:
    The revisionism is amazing. It was obvious to everyone that a border down the Irish Sea was the result of the WA.
    Yep, everyone except Johnson and Classic Dom.

Ever since the deal, we have been waiting to see what masterplan the Tory government had lined up for the Irish border issue. And this is it - ITS NOT FAIR WE'VE CHANGED OUR MINDS YOU BIG BULLIES

Even commenters in The Sun this morning can now figure out what a lying spiv we have for PM.
  • Psychotext 12 Sep 2020 10:02:00 69,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Typical Brexiter logic isn't it. Call it project fear when you point out their stupidity, and then say "no-one could have possibly known!" when it actually happens.
  • TheSaint 14 Sep 2020 17:15:03 20,283 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Milliband is on fire in this debate. Johnson is seething.
  • Decks 14 Sep 2020 17:25:13 28,427 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If only he could eat a bacon sandwich properly. What could have been.
  • KnuttinAtoll 14 Sep 2020 17:35:56 8,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So what's the agenda then for this bill? Meaningless vote tonight, then it goes to the Lords who reject it, followed by amendments to go through a second vote in a few days?
  • Dougs 14 Sep 2020 17:41:57 97,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Close. 2nd Reading is a general debate about the Bill. There's a vote, which if defeated, the Govt cannot bring the legislation back in its current form. But that's very rare. Next stage is Committee, which is the detailed scrutiny of the Bill inc lots of amendments inc votes. Then Report Stage (reporting back on what happened in Committee, plus lots more amendments to be voted on if Govt hasn't budged) before 3rd Reading (summary of overall discussions, with amendments very rare). Then the whole process is repeated in the Lords.
  • KnuttinAtoll 14 Sep 2020 17:50:07 8,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers for the explanation. As a non-Brit I feel I'm way more familiar with UK politics than I should be really, but there are still gaps of course.

Edit - any rough idea when this whole sorry process is nipped in the bud either way? End of the month?

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 17:51:19 14-09-2020
  • Dougs 14 Sep 2020 17:59:07 97,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bills can take ages to get through both Houses - up to a year or more, as some have a lot of clauses that need debating and there's usually a lot of juggling to do with all the other things going on. Something like this, I dunno - they will push it through as quickly as so it's on the statute by 31 Dec, inc any secondary legislation that needs to be in force. The Govt don't have the same control in the Lords though, so are at their mercy a bit
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.