Following Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1669

• TheSaint 12 Jan 2021 11:26:33 20,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm as up for leave voter bashing as anyone but we have no idea how he voted.
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2021 11:27:25 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    After all, Brexit does mean Brexit.
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Jan 2021 11:30:44 4,815 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff

I think they would just lie. In 5 year or so years, no one would say the voted for it
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2021 11:34:05 11,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Again, they were lied to, convincingly, and kept inside a social media echo chamber (us Clever Remainder Types also had one of these, which made us assume nobody was going to vote Leave).

Play the ball, not the man
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Jan 2021 11:37:31 4,815 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'm as up for leave voter bashing as anyone but we have no idea how he voted.
    true, if he did vote remain then thats shit. but there is people who voted to leave and lived in spain and tend to be really old like him. There was quite a few articles from people who voted leave and lived in spain, no doubt due to lies about we all hold all the card etc

Mentioned before, editor I use to work with, she was not old as these people, who liked to go to ibiza for long weekends and lived out there for a year. She voted leave and sneered and laughed at me when I said it will not be like before, she thought it "nothing will change as they need our money"
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 11:40:44 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Again, they were lied to, convincingly, and kept inside a social media echo chamber (us Clever Remainder Types also had one of these, which made us assume nobody was going to vote Leave).

Play the ball, not the man
    These people were quite receptive to the lies and in particular the nasty xenophobic undertones attached to them though.

So whether they were lied to or not doesn't really matter - a gullible asshole is still an asshole.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2021 11:45:34 11,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    'These people'

More polemic doesn't help. I'm sure there are many a hopeless cause, but equally there's got to be some hope for redemption?

A few of my friends voted Leave. It shocked me and I was angry - mostly at myself for even "being friends with them" which is a lesson in puffed up self importance in itself - but they didn't become xenophobes overnight. And have, without exception, regretted their (angry protest) vote
  • Jono62 12 Jan 2021 11:49:06 26,345 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood Not how it works. You are supposed to put your nose up at them and shout 'WELL YOU VOTED FOR THIS' whenever they speak.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2021 11:50:53 11,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd be lying if I said I don't do that as well
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 11:55:47 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    'These people'

More polemic doesn't help. I'm sure there are many a hopeless cause, but equally there's got to be some hope for redemption?

A few of my friends voted Leave. It shocked me and I was angry - mostly at myself for even "being friends with them" which is a lesson in puffed up self importance in itself - but they didn't become xenophobes overnight. And have, without exception, regretted their (angry protest) vote
    It might be a bit different on a personal level, in that it may be easier to forgive, depending on the impact the vote had on your life.

Having said that, if my best friend voted Leave and caused me to lose my FoM, I don't think they'd be my friend any longer. It's like them burning down the building I live in to spite the property owner.

And finally, when I say 'these people', I'm talking about your average Leave voter you see on the telly - be that on the streets of Sunderland, or Malaga. They're cut of the same cloth, and I haven't seen much in terms of regret - only when they can see the impact on their own lives, I'm sure they wouldn't give a toss otherwise.
  • Jono62 12 Jan 2021 11:59:04 26,345 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    and I haven't seen much in terms of regret - only when they can see the impact on their own lives, I'm sure they wouldn't give a toss otherwise.
    That's the same for a lot of people though.
  • JoelStinty 12 Jan 2021 12:01:45 9,196 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking grim for the fishing industry in Scotland; should imagine pattern is being repeated round uk.

1/3 fishing fleet tied up in Scotland
    Fish prices fell 80% at Peterhead market yesterday
    Some Fisherman are now resorting to landing in Denmark to sell their catch, meaning processors in Scotland are cut out of trade.

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1348946076607373314?s=21

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:02:39 12-01-2021
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 12:22:56 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    and I haven't seen much in terms of regret - only when they can see the impact on their own lives, I'm sure they wouldn't give a toss otherwise.
    That's the same for a lot of people though.
    Yes, unfortunately.

And honestly, even when hearing from Remainers (both in the media but also on a personal level), there is a certain overlap between them and Leavers when it comes to how they see the UK vs rEU - maybe not in terms of outright xenophobia, but certainly the belief in the superiority of the UK vs the rest of Europe.

I fully realise I generalise terribly here, but the shoe fits way too often I'm afraid.

It's made me realise that in the long run the EU is better off with the UK positioned outside of it, unless there's fundamental change in the political culture of the country (and I can't see that happen anytime soon - despite EU membership for almost half a century the attitudes haven't shifted at all into the right direction on that front).
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2021 12:28:34 11,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

It might be a bit different on a personal level, in that it may be easier to forgive, depending on the impact the vote had on your life.
    I left the country I called home, at great expense monetarily and emotionally. I was lucky that I had that option, I guess.

Having said that, if my best friend voted Leave and caused me to lose my FoM, I don't think they'd be my friend any longer. It's like them burning down the building I live in to spite the property owner.
    So either I'm a better person - highly unlikely - or you don't know really what you'd do. I had a LOT of anger, for lots of people. Including extended family who also voted in that way. But you have to move on to try and heal, endless bitterness and anger will not help you.

And finally, when I say 'these people', I'm talking about your average Leave voter you see on the telly - be that on the streets of Sunderland, or Malaga. They're cut of the same cloth, and I haven't seen much in terms of regret - only when they can see the impact on their own lives, I'm sure they wouldn't give a toss otherwise.
    I'm sure these people exist, but not in the number that the media props them up to be. Anger and schedenfreude (I've no doubt spelled that wrong but it's late) means viewership
  • DaM 12 Jan 2021 12:38:40 17,595 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Looking grim for the fishing industry in Scotland; should imagine pattern is being repeated round uk.

1/3 fishing fleet tied up in Scotland
    Fish prices fell 80% at Peterhead market yesterday
    Some Fisherman are now resorting to landing in Denmark to sell their catch, meaning processors in Scotland are cut out of trade.

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1348946076607373314?s=21
    About 70% of the staff in the processing factories are from the EU, so they are shafted that direction too.
  • RyanDS 12 Jan 2021 12:44:01 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    'These people'

It is like smoking. You know it is bad and when people give up you congratulate them. But if they keep smoking and get lung cancer you kind of know it is their fault and while you feel sorry for them you also have an element of shrugging.

I actually do have sympathy for people who voted for brexit, poor idiots they are. What I donít have any sympathy for is anyone who voted for brexit and hasnít apologised. They can go fuck themselves. You voted to strip my niece of her future? At least have the balls to apologise and recant and realise you made a mistake. Double down even now you see the shit that it is? I have zero sympathy or fucks and I hope you suffer as a result of your actions.
  • RGeefe 12 Jan 2021 12:53:31 1,623 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was working and living in south yorkshire at the time of the vote.

I genuinely thought it'd be a slim leave win, based on where I've lived and the apathy towards the vote I was seeing in a lot of left leaning remain Brits. EG - the non committal stuff from Corbyn. But I also didn't see Cameron quitting the day after and us having Boris in charge during the process.

I figured we'd get about 2 election cycles on the EU naughty step - tariffs go up, people's pockets being hit but generally a shitter version of what we had before, in the late 90s. More paperwork for travel, costs go up and a minor reduction in the European workforce. I was actually quite up for that, having lived abroad and seen the wanky reputation we have. It might have shut up a lot of people over here, too.

Or Cameron's govt would do research, put it on to the annoying MPs and give them the difficult task of finding out the "best outcome" for Britain. Sort of like giving the annoying kid milk monitor.

I still think we'll slowly rejoin over a period of 25-30 years but christ this lot haven't half fucked it. In the middle of a pandemic, no less. It's not hard to go "let's get this virus thing sorted first".

Though I will say I'm slightly amused by the mass take up of language apps by Brits.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 13:20:32 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

I left the country I called home, at great expense monetarily and emotionally. I was lucky that I had that option, I guess.

So either I'm a better person - highly unlikely - or you don't know really what you'd do. I had a LOT of anger, for lots of people. Including extended family who also voted in that way. But you have to move on to try and heal, endless bitterness and anger will not help you.

I'm sure these people exist, but not in the number that the media props them up to be. Anger and schedenfreude (I've no doubt spelled that wrong but it's late) means viewership
    Well, we moved to the UK about six years ago with a view to "make it" there long term. We left a few weeks after the referendum result, after gradually realising we were not welcome (we followed the Brexit campaigns of both sides quite closely) and that a Brexit Britain didn't work for us, and that our future was to be in a EU country.

It not only cost us in terms of moving expenses, but (quite significant) loss on savings due to the Sterling crash at the time as a result of the vote.

My wife's colleagues (about 20 or so) all voted Leave apart from one younger Brit and a number of EU nationals, in an area that actually voted to Remain. They were ignorant enough to brag and whoop about the result the very next day, right in front of her (she made it clear to them she wasn't impressed so they knocked it off).

Emotionally then, apart from losing a lot of respect towards the country as a whole, it wasn't a big deal for us thankfully. Our remaining social ties to the UK are minimal if not non-existent.

We were just lucky that we didn't settle yet properly, and were able to 'get out' swiftly once it was clear where this was all going.

I can't deny that both of us have developed a certain "f*** 'em" attitude over the years (to put it politely) - and while that's certainly unfair towards those who genuinely feel/felt part of the EU, those are not the people in charge right now, reconfirmed by the public in not just one, but two elections since.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2021 13:36:22 11,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What option did people have to vote against Brexit in the generals? Not trolling, genuinely interested as I was under the impression that both the blue AND the red dumpster fires were Respecting The Will of The People
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2021 13:50:49 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We didn't have an option, because our electoral system fucking sucks.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 13:57:38 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Weren't Lib Dem's pretty consistent throughout being against Brexit? So despite it being a wasted vote in most places due to FPTP, I'd have given it to them, just out of principle.

But yeah, that's what I meant earlier when I mentioned the political culture/system. It's pretty FUBAR.
  • RyanDS 12 Jan 2021 13:57:53 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    What option did people have to vote against Brexit in the generals? Not trolling, genuinely interested as I was under the impression that both the blue AND the red dumpster fires were Respecting The Will of The People
    None. Tories and Labour were both led by foaming brexiteers. Corban fucked it up for everyone.
  • retro74 12 Jan 2021 14:10:19 3,565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve more than willing to change my opinion on Leave voters

As soon as they stop sounding like cunts, acting like cunts and looking like cunts Iíll stop thinking of them as cunts
  • IRWATWO 12 Jan 2021 14:15:58 949 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Iíve more than willing to change my opinion on Leave voters

As soon as they stop sounding like cunts, acting like cunts and looking like cunts Iíll stop thinking of them as cunts
    I won't
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 14:26:39 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wouldn't even Corbyn's Labour (as much as I dislike him and at the time laughed at his vision of Brexit, more having-cakes-and-eating-them fantasies) brought a much softer Brexit compared to what we have now?

So while reversing Brexit wasn't really on the cards, softening the blow as much as possible by voting Labour instead of the party that caused this whole mess, twice, would've been the more sensible option?

Would've, should've, could've, I know. But since PES asked...
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2021 14:46:26 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ehhhhh.... The Lexit version of Brexit was just as hard as what we've currently got.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2021 14:48:18 11,986 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No, it's a valid opinion and I will pile in on the shoulda woulda coulda. It's shocking to me that in my head, Corbyn is at least as disastrous here than the current bunch of bozos. I realise that makes me sound just as bad as the Tory apologists.

I went from loving the idea of Corbyn to REALLY resenting and blaming him for a lot of bad in a very short period of time
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jan 2021 15:54:54 22,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    No, it's a valid opinion and I will pile in on the shoulda woulda coulda. It's shocking to me that in my head, Corbyn is at least as disastrous here than the current bunch of bozos. I realise that makes me sound just as bad as the Tory apologists.

I went from loving the idea of Corbyn to REALLY resenting and blaming him for a lot of bad in a very short period of time
    The shocking thing was the amount of people who supported him and confusingly thought that Magic Granpa was all about Remain. They obviously missed his BRITISH JOBS rhetoric
    Although I am intrigued how he would have dealt with covid. Maybe blame it on the Jews or summink.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Jan 2021 15:58:06 8,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Ehhhhh.... The Lexit version of Brexit was just as hard as what we've currently got.
    Hmm - I always had him down as someone that would've likely budged more agreeing things like keeping stuff like FoM (even though he didn't like the forrins either). I probably don't know him well enough but always took him for a softer target compared to the ERG lot (a low bar for sure), and someone who at least ideologically had good intentions for the country (free everything yay!), rather than just profiteering off the misery of the common folk like the Tories do.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 15:59:38 12-01-2021
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2021 16:05:53 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lexit definitely wasn't a fan of freedom of movement. They bought into the whole "depresses local wages" thing.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.