Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1686

• Darth_Flibble 8 Feb 2021 20:14:47 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Another business killed
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/08/yorkshire-lobster-exporter-baron-shellfish-brexit-costs-forced-close

Speaking from Bridlington on Monday, where he is in the process of dismantling hundreds of lobster crates, Baron said: ďAll we have had is bullshit from the government, promises that havenít been kept. I am winding up the business while I still have enough to pay redundancy to my staff.

• Psychotext 8 Feb 2021 20:45:37 69,730 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    All the EU's fault, obviously.

If they'd given us everything we wanted then none of this would have had to have happened.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Feb 2021 20:51:29 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This obviously Project Fear, no? I mean this seriously can't be the consequences that people who are experts in their field warned us about? Obviously these people going out of business aren't reacting fast enough or trying hard enough like grafters such as Rees-Mogg
  • Technoishmatt 9 Feb 2021 10:58:17 4,943 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fraggin sovereignty. Ordered the Arctis 7X headset from steelseries direct with a discount code on 31 Jan. Been stuck in customs in UK since 1 Feb. They've promised no duty / fees at my end, so maybe that is taking a while to sort

Edited by Technoishmatt at 10:58:48 09-02-2021
  • Destria 9 Feb 2021 12:00:36 2,894 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tell me about it. My Lego set is stuck in Oldbury, for no discernible reason...
  • Blackmarsh63 9 Feb 2021 12:18:04 4,029 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No biscuits for the poor ex-pats https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-55985956
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2021 12:37:23 69,730 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just made my first EU order since this all started. Will be interesting to see what happens with it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 Feb 2021 13:22:52 4,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My most recent Limited Run Games order which usually get routed via the Netherlands for the prepaid duty and sit there for weeks arrived faster than any order from them in years, surprisingly. An anomaly no doubt. Still worrying about my Darius order from Germany when it releases...

Of course the stores that aren't shipping to UK any more is more of a problem. Good old Brexit...
  • chrisp 9 Feb 2021 13:45:49 1,163 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I order a lot from Amazon Germany and, touch wood, haven't experienced any issues recently. I have also ordered a number of items from German eBay sellers and the German Amazon marketplace. Those have arrived without any problem and without much of a delay.

However, it's the stores that aren't shipping to the UK any more that are causing me the biggest upset. For well over a decade I have been using a number of smaller Dutch/Belgian retailers for Dutch-language books and films. Given HMRC's requirement that any seller wishing to sell to UK consumers now has to register for UK VAT, those sellers for whom the UK was never a big market to begin with have, understandably, simply ceased to serve the UK. Unsurprisingly, the market for Dutch-language books and films isn't particularly large over here ...

The result is that, in most cases, I can no longer get those products delivered to me directly. I do at least have the option of sending them to my friends in Germany and collecting them when I can (finally) go over there, but it's a bit of a faff and not really the point. I am sure many other people are affected in a similar way - the ability to order niche products only available in a particular EU country or countries for which there is only a small market in the UK will have disappeared overnight in a large number of cases.
  • Nexus_6 9 Feb 2021 13:53:37 5,746 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes chrisp - almost like Brexit is impoverishing us culturally as well as economically eh?
  • IRWATWO 9 Feb 2021 14:01:14 1,045 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tories are busy fixing the economic issues -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/09/uk-authorised-14bn-of-arms-sales-to-saudi-arabia-after-exports-resumed

We'll sell weapons to people even the US won't. Yes a few children might die, but it is vital that arms companies can continue to make a profit and contribute to Tory party funds. Sleep well Tory voters.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2021 14:09:04 69,730 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is brilliant... I wonder what name we'll come up with for shoe leather?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55996938
  • Jono62 9 Feb 2021 14:10:56 26,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Freedom Leather.
  • chrisp 9 Feb 2021 14:11:39 1,163 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Nexus_6 Absolutely. And the standard response from people I raise this with tends to be: "You'll have to stock up on Dutch books when you can finally go over there again!!!!!". Which enrages me further.

What's even more galling is that one particular site I used to buy from now ships to pretty much every single other country in the world bar the UK. If I lived in Guatemala I could order these products but due to this ridiculous situation they can no longer be sent just over the water.

Edited by chrisp at 15:40:00 09-02-2021
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2021 14:48:17 69,730 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BBC risking their heads here a bit...

The boss of one of Britain's big retailers says Brexit has turned out to be "considerably worse" than he feared.

Peter Cowgill, chairman of JD Sports, said the red tape and delays in shipping goods to mainland Europe meant "double-digit millions" in extra costs.

He told the BBC the company might open a distribution centre overseas to help mitigate the problems, and that would mean job losses in the UK.

His criticism echoes that from exporters and importers across the UK.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55997641
  • brokenkey 9 Feb 2021 14:54:24 10,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

"Brexit Biltong"
  • sport 9 Feb 2021 15:24:18 16,678 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:

"Brexit Biltong"
    Now listen here my china...
  • Frogofdoom 9 Feb 2021 15:29:47 17,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psychotext one of the key employers in the area where I work has announced its closing its operation here in November. They will be opening a small unit up north but the majority of the work will be moving to Holland due to ease of European shipping. Its a lot of job losses as well, I do wonder if the area will decline a bit due to it as well.
  • Nexus_6 9 Feb 2021 16:10:02 5,746 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    @Nexus_6 Absolutely. And the standard response from people I raise this with tends to be: "You'll have to stock up on Dutch books when you can finally go over there again!!!!!". Which enrages me further.

What's even more galling is that one particular site I used to buy from now ships to pretty much every single other country in the world bar the UK. If I lived in Guatemala I could order these products but due to this ridiculous situation they can no longer be sent just over the water.
    It is such a sad, sad, unnecessary situation we find ourselves in. I honestly don't know how we fix ourselves either. It honestly leaves me bereft
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2021 16:10:05 69,730 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Imagine being one of the poor fuckers affected by this complete incompetence.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/shellfish-industry-says-defra-privately-admitted-that-eu-was-right-about-shellfish-ban-leaked-email-shows
  • JamboWayOh 9 Feb 2021 16:12:38 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who would have thought the bunch of chancers pushing for Brexit would just say anything to get people to support them. SHOCKING.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Feb 2021 16:20:12 10,233 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shellfish bastards.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Feb 2021 16:20:14 10,233 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shellfish bastards.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Feb 2021 16:24:38 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bravo x2
  • Brodie 9 Feb 2021 18:03:27 237 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    None of this is kelping. I agree that this half cockled agreement has allowed EU fisherman to mussel in our territory, but we need to keep clam.

Winkles
  • Brodie 9 Feb 2021 18:03:28 237 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mothercruncher 9 Feb 2021 18:27:46 18,883 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is your surname Duck, chrisp?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 Feb 2021 20:24:01 4,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    chrisp wrote:

The silliest thing is that books shpuld be VAT free IIRC so really shouldn't be an issue. I wonder if we will see a return to the old undervalued "gifts" on customs labels as doing things legitimately is a headache for smaller companies or if they will just exclude us.
  • Psychotext 10 Feb 2021 15:20:16 69,730 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Brexit continues to be an incredible win for farmers, just like we warned them it would be: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-55997320
  • JamboWayOh 10 Feb 2021 15:31:06 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would like to think there's going to be a reckoning here for the people who pushed for this sabotage/greed but I know that's possible as they're the same people who preach about healing and coming together and subsequently people fall this gaslighting bullshit.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.