Following Post Poll... Britain decided to... Page 1693

• sport 22 May 2021 22:28:29 16,931 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Never been a better time to snap up a cheap tractor.
  • Technoishmatt 23 May 2021 00:12:21 5,241 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    What in fucks name is environmentally friendly or even remotely sensible in getting food shipped from across the entire planet?!
    You'd be surprised. E.g It is lower carbon to eat NZ lamb than local lamb. Stuff shipped by container ship is pretty low carbon I believe.
  • Dougs 23 May 2021 05:48:41 99,643 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    I wouldnít be surprised if itís a deliberate attempt to get farmers to sell off their land for property development.
    My first thought too
  • Darth_Flibble 23 May 2021 12:39:03 5,313 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No 10 fails to guarantee keeping ban on hormone-injected beef in Australia trade deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hormone-injected-beef-trade-deal-australia-b1851531.html?

crap quality meat from the USA and now shit from Australia

so much control and soverunty
  • gammonbanter 23 May 2021 15:49:33 2,258 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm genuinely looking forward to cheap meat from Australia and the US, when you put it in a burger or a sausage all quality concerns go out the window! And actually, I don't get what people mean by quality meat anyway? What difference does it make? We slaughter the poor creatures regardless and steal their milk.
  • Psychotext 23 May 2021 16:05:32 70,155 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    when you put it in a burger or a sausage all quality concerns go out the window
    Every time you hit a new low you seem to find a way to keep on digging. It's genuinely impressive.

I can only imagine the crap you eat.
  • brokenkey 23 May 2021 16:20:41 11,035 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    What in fucks name is environmentally friendly or even remotely sensible in getting food shipped from across the entire planet?!
    You'd be surprised. E.g It is lower carbon to eat NZ lamb than local lamb. Stuff shipped by container ship is pretty low carbon I believe.
    Back that up with a source?
  • glo 23 May 2021 16:32:41 3,750 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @brokenkey - even if true, which I find hard to believe, then we should be adopting their methods of farming sheep.

Our methods would have to be very carbon intensive to offset the CO2 cost of shipping them half way round the world
  • glo 23 May 2021 16:32:43 3,750 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • IMO 23 May 2021 16:35:23 7,674 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    I'm genuinely looking forward to cheap meat from Australia and the US, when you put it in a burger or a sausage all quality concerns go out the window! And actually, I don't get what people mean by quality meat anyway? What difference does it make? We slaughter the poor creatures regardless and steal their milk.
    You're milking cows wrong.
  • sport 23 May 2021 17:04:38 16,931 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    Don't have a source myself but I did hear this a while back on Radio 4. Something about how the whole NZ lamb "process" was much more streamlined and efficient or something.

I dunno.
  • X201 23 May 2021 17:08:55 21,785 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    Boat is lower carbon than flying.
    But itís still nowhere near as low as lamb from a U.K. hillside and shipped down the motorway to your local butcher
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 May 2021 17:09:18 4,347 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There have been studies, that are now disputed, about how environmentally friendly New Zealand lamb is. They benefit from a climate that means that their lambs have access to grass all year around. In the UK we do not, so we use artificial feeds, to sustain lamb production throughout the year. But these studies are disputed as they are overly simplified. If lamb produced in the UK was seasonal then it would be more environmentally friendly.
  • Not-a-reviewer 23 May 2021 17:22:10 7,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Theyíre mainly disputed by U.K. farmers, not by anyone that is involved in the science.
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 May 2021 17:32:01 4,347 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Not-a-reviewer The study, conducted by the University of Lincoln, NZ, was the one that said how it derived some of its figures were questionable. Of course, admitting that gave an entry point to those with a vested interest to call them into question. The simple answer is that annually produced lamb from New Zealand is more environmentally sustainable. Seasonally produced local lamb in the UK is better still for the UK market.
  • sport 23 May 2021 17:33:52 16,931 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    the UK is better still for the UK
    That's what we like to hear here.
  • Not-a-reviewer 23 May 2021 17:45:53 7,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @Not-a-reviewer. Seasonally produced local lamb in the UK is better still for the UK market.
    I think the main issue is that is such a small window each year + buying local isnít what most people do.
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 May 2021 17:48:45 4,347 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Not-a-reviewer That is the biggest problem. We no longer eat seasonally.
  • mothercruncher 23 May 2021 17:57:07 19,323 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    Mint?

Edited by mothercruncher at 17:57:47 23-05-2021
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 May 2021 17:58:33 4,347 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mothercruncher gLoL.
  • gammonbanter 23 May 2021 18:03:11 2,258 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mothercruncher brilliant! 😆
  • Technoishmatt 23 May 2021 18:24:19 5,241 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On sources, my wife did work for a supermarket on potentially adding carbon footprint to food labels, I think expecting it would show pref for UK food, but it ended up often showing the opposite... So they didn't go ahead.
  • glo 23 May 2021 19:23:06 3,750 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Sounds like either our agricultural practices need modernisation or that the data provided on carbon footprints is dubious. I suspect a bit of both having done some carbon accounting work in the past (construction sector). It was quite evident that you could show your product was more sustainable than competitors with a bit of creative accounting and selective choice of what you chose to include/exclude.
  • sport 23 May 2021 19:26:35 16,931 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    glo wrote:
    It was quite evident that you could show your product was more sustainable than competitors with a bit of creative accounting and selective choice of what you chose to include/exclude.
    Straight out of the tory playbook.
  • Technoishmatt 23 May 2021 19:30:13 5,241 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The equation might change again as we have electric vehicle options. I think it has to do with stuff like delivery of stuff like fertilizer / animal feed. For smaller scale farming this just has a big impact.

I think it also why growing your own food might also not necessarily be that great from a carbon perspective - eg one car trip to buy compost makes it worse.
  • captbirdseye 23 May 2021 19:51:28 10,993 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The carbon footprint for UK farming is pretty terrible and it's one of the main reasons future farming schemes, especially in devolved administrations, are based around diversifying their business into something else such as an environmental return.
  • Not-a-reviewer 23 May 2021 20:40:58 7,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If youíre going to account for the full impact thatís got to be incredibly complex even for people that spend their lives doing it. Thereís the feed, transport throughout, workers, medicines, storage, packaging etc.

Just looking at distance is never going to be enough. The only answer is to all grow our own lambs.
  • dfunked09 23 May 2021 20:42:06 2,088 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Are lambs
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 May 2021 20:43:53 4,347 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can we silence said lambs? It is that or human liver again.
  • BreadBinLidHero 23 May 2021 20:58:42 10,660 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Surely not serious? This is almost like a Viz letter.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.