Stranger Things Page 15

• neilka 8 Jul 2019 22:38:22 22,656 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mike is going to be one of the new Ghostbusters in a year. It'll just be like the original, if Bill Murray only ever looked like he'd just shit himself.
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Jul 2019 22:41:12 6,756 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gustbusters
  • JoeBlade 8 Jul 2019 22:42:21 4,463 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    I really liked this season, it might even be my favourite, but I wish they weren't making another. I want it to go out on (what I consider to be) a high. Also, I'm increasingly uninterested in the Upside Down and its denizens.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed all three seasons immensely but I'm no longer looking forward to more; rather they left it at that and moved on to something different.

Funny that, I reckon I enjoy long series as I grow older. 3-4 seasons, 5 at a stretch seems ideal and I don't mean 20+ episode ones either. Stuff like The Simpsons can fuck right off (as much as I enjoyed it at its peak)
  • IronGiant 9 Jul 2019 09:41:26 5,943 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Yeah, they basically turned Hopper into a fucking imbecile for the lolz.

Somehow, although the season is four episodes shorter, it seems to have even more filler. Lost of easily please folk here because 80s bobbins.

The kids cute factor has plummeted out the window and most of them can't act this season either. Mike and Eleven are terrible.

The homages were even less subtle too. Just blatantly stealing ideas in season three.

All a bit mediocre.
    Watched the second episode last night and I'd agree with much of what you've said, hopefully the season improves in the later episodes.
  • [maven] 9 Jul 2019 11:23:21 5,636 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    IMO it does, the first two eps were a bit cringey.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Jul 2019 11:39:41 15,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I struggled a bit with the first two episodes, the third brought it right on track though.
  • BinaryBob101 9 Jul 2019 12:44:25 26,978 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Yeah, they basically turned Hopper into a fucking imbecile for the lolz.

Somehow, although the season is four episodes shorter, it seems to have even more filler. Lost of easily please folk here because 80s bobbins.

The kids cute factor has plummeted out the window and most of them can't act this season either. Mike and Eleven are terrible.

The homages were even less subtle too. Just blatantly stealing ideas in season three.

All a bit mediocre.
    Watched the second episode last night and I'd agree with much of what you've said, hopefully the season improves in the later episodes.
    It doesn't. Like not at all.

It's the same thing every season:

Big bad from the Upside Down gets a bit bigger and badder.
    The team splits up into two or three groups, because story reasons.
    Another bland big bad does some stuff for no reason, this time, The Russians, whose motivations are totally unclear, apart from maybe a superweapon. The Arnie Russkie is so one note, the joke is over after his first appearance. Another pointless reference. BUT 80s YO!
    Finally the team get back together to defeat evil shit.

Loads of goodwill was built up after season one. It felt like lightning in a bottle, but then season two gave us that clunker of an episode with the supergoths which made everything else a bit rubbish too.

Now in season three, loads of the characters have morphed into goofy comedy dickheads and it's just all a bit tired. It's a shame, but the plan needs altering. Maybe they need a plan instead of just wholesale theft.
  • RGeefe 9 Jul 2019 12:58:46 389 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slowly going through the series but a friend and I agreed that actually it works better when it ditches the tired/ rehashed sci-fi/ horror and focuses on the actual characters.

In some ways, I actually preferred series 2 because it was forced to do something a bit different. I genuinely remember very little of series 1 and have no desire to revisit it. The kids are great and I just want more of their development, maybe this could morph into an X-Men type show that was teased last series.

I'm on episode 2 and so far I already have a fairly good idea of what will happen. Hoping to be proved wrong but can see myself tuning out.
  • beastmaster 9 Jul 2019 19:32:28 19,400 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I did find Hopper quite funny though, despite what they did to him. Certainly shows a different side of David Harbour. It's almost enough for me to want to see him in the new Hellboy film. Almost.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Jul 2019 20:18:58 20,693 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    2 in and don't know if I've got the stomach to continue. It's irritating the fuck out of me. It's so heavy handed, just devoid of any of the subtlety it used to have. The constant overly loud soundtrack (REMEMBER THIS SONG FROM THE 80s GUYS) is doing my head in.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Jul 2019 20:38:13 1,263 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    2 in myself and although I知 enjoying it, eleven and her boyfriend (Mike?) are irritating me. I知 hoping Winona doesn稚 go nuts again either.

I値l watch it all I think, but I知 sat here thinking I知 not desperate to watch the rest.
  • Addy__ 9 Jul 2019 20:41:15 1,426 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah it's not bad so far. It's not at the level of the previous but it's an easy watch for me.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Jul 2019 20:49:12 20,693 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If kind of feels like the previous ones were an homage to good 80s films where this is an homage to shit 80s films. Although things started to look up a bit towards the end of the second episode.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jul 2019 20:55:29 2,935 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It does get better. Still skirts a bit too close to parody for my liking (EVIL SUPERVILLAIN LAIR UNDER THE MALL WHERE SASSY KIDS CAN ROAM AROUND UNTOUCHABLE BECAUSE INEPT RUSKIES etc) but the first two episodes are where most of the garbage is.
  • BinaryBob101 9 Jul 2019 22:12:56 26,978 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still can't quite believe they stuck a musical number in the final episode.

It doesn't get better! What's happened to you Grem? Gone soft?
  • Steifybobbins 9 Jul 2019 22:20:02 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is wrong with you people? it was great fun. Not the sing song mind
  • Your-Mother 9 Jul 2019 22:23:07 2,935 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How very dare people have differing opinions.
  • Steifybobbins 9 Jul 2019 22:25:45 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Your-Mother I didn't say they cant just that I dont personally understand what seems to be universal panning by people who haven't finished it yet..
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Jul 2019 22:26:11 6,756 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Binary bob is all out of 1s
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Jul 2019 22:46:16 20,693 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's went from trying to capture the tone of stuff like ET or The Goonies to feeling like Weekend at Bernie's. Good to hear it picks up though.
  • Addy__ 9 Jul 2019 23:10:19 1,426 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Weekend at Bernie's. Ha that's a blast from the past.
  • BinaryBob101 9 Jul 2019 23:10:43 26,978 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From Amblin
    To Shamblin, Yo
  • ZuluHero 10 Jul 2019 00:03:58 7,531 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished, it was mostly OK. Was getting bit fed up with constantly relying on El's powers to get them out of every scrape and as an easy plot device, almost eye rolling towards the end.

I didn't mind the ham-fisted 80s references, and it looked like they had a blast filming them. Also really loved seeing day of the dead in it.
  • Duffking 10 Jul 2019 00:06:47 16,304 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TIL 8 is four less than 9
  • Zyrr 10 Jul 2019 07:53:28 395 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I didn't mind the ham-fisted 80s references, and it looked like they had a blast filming them. Also really loved seeing day of the dead in it.
    As a big Romero fan, I thought that scene was pretty cute, but what really surprised me was when they used music from the Day of the Dead soundtrack during a certain scene in episode 6. I know a lot of references have been a bit too 'on the nose' this season, but that bit was pretty well done, I thought.
  • OllyJ 10 Jul 2019 08:09:42 4,539 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm really enjoying it, surprised to see so much meh'ing in the comments.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Jul 2019 08:53:00 24,906 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OllyJ
    I'm with you mate, really enjoyed it.
  • cov 10 Jul 2019 09:27:25 1,968 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thirded - i can see where some of the criticisms are coming from but they were minor for me and could be aimed at the other seasons too. The success of the 80s references in particular probably depend on personal taste - liked the invasion of the body snatchers vibe although i thought they could have done more with it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jul 2019 09:43:40 20,693 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If it starts having a Bodysnatcher vibe I'll be happy, at the minute all I'm getting is Pretty in Pink with a side of Mannequin.
  • cov 10 Jul 2019 11:31:39 1,968 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heh

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.