Stranger Things Page 16

• OllyJ 10 Jul 2019 11:37:30 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    If it starts having a Bodysnatcher vibe I'll be happy, at the minute all I'm getting is Pretty in Pink with a side of Mannequin.
    And that's a bad thing?
  • Darren 10 Jul 2019 13:01:55 9,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really enjoyed season 3 of Stranger Things. Great 80s vibe, fantastic synth score, interspersed with 80s pop music, great acting from all the leads, excellent visual effects and a decent plot even it doesn't really reveal anything more about the Upside Down or the Mind Flayer creature. It was a thrilling rollercoaster ride that started off slow and kept on building up to a mostly satisfying finale.

It wasn't perfect - I didn't like that the main characters were split up for most of the season, the Russians were 2D caricatures with no explanation of what it was they were trying to achieve and the death of one of the leads felt a bit anti-climatic - but it kept me hooked right until the very end so that is good enough for me.
  • Duffking 10 Jul 2019 13:05:56 16,304 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the issue the show has on season 2/3 is that in season one it just had to go "here's your big mystery, and here we go". It moved from the very first episode. For subsequent series it wants to do its big catch-up tour of how's everybody doing and the big mystery thing takes a back seat for a few episodes as a result. Season 3 doesn't spend so long getting going though, it picks up ep3 and gets pretty good ep 4.
  • ZuluHero 10 Jul 2019 14:14:55 7,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But on the flip-side, because it's only 8 episodes the plot speeds up too fast, doesn't really give it enough time to stew.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Jul 2019 14:24:48 26,978 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, picking up after a quarter of the season has gone is hardly positive.

Which it doesn't really anyway.
  • OllyJ 10 Jul 2019 14:33:20 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, I think it's been great from episode 1, so there.
  • Not-a-reviewer 10 Jul 2019 22:22:29 5,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was pretty decent, hopefully there’s a bit less arms out and screaming with effort next time. It gets a bit irritating when it’s several times an episode.
  • arty 10 Jul 2019 22:56:39 586 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The teen stuff is utter shite. Gave up on it.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jul 2019 23:40:38 11,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ep four ramps things up a notch or two if people feeling it’s not up to much.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Jul 2019 12:14:57 26,978 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Missed the post credit scene the other day. Wow, well that made it so much better! Yeah, it's fantasy sci-fi, but undermining Hop's death so quickly is another shitty point to add to the litany. 😀

So next season, the kids open a portal to Russia to rescue Hop? Fuck that!

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 12:15:33 11-07-2019
  • adamasunder12 11 Jul 2019 12:21:33 664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Well I thought it was a big old load of meh. The monster thing throughout the shoe's entire run seems to have no actual rules that governs it mainly being just a special effect, it certainly hasn't spent any time expanding the lore instead focusing on way too many characters that are wafer thin doing things I do not care about. For all the time spent with them all I still have no sense of the town as a place.

The only character I found remotely intriguing was Hopper who was incredibly flawed. I don't remember him being quite so boorish in the past though.

Still think an anthology series was the way to go and I haven't seen anything in 2 or 3 to convince me otherwise.

Plus, why is everyone so god damn ugly in it?! I'm all for representation but not one of them male or female was distracting enough to take my mind off the run of the mill plot beats. (This is not a serious point).

Edited by adamasunder12 at 12:22:52 11-07-2019
  • Rivuzu 11 Jul 2019 12:23:54 18,205 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One more episode to go. I'm loving it, but then I'm not hunting for deeper meaning and am genuinely entertained by silly scifi set in the 80's.
  • adamasunder12 11 Jul 2019 12:24:15 664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Darren Yup, the Russians bothered me as there was no explanation at all why they were even in America let alone what they were trying to achieve.
    Especially considering the (yawn) post credits scene at the end.
  • OllyJ 11 Jul 2019 12:24:23 4,539 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    I'm all for representation but...

What new strain of "I'm not racist but..." is this?
  • adamasunder12 11 Jul 2019 12:30:46 664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    :D
  • BinaryBob101 11 Jul 2019 13:18:54 26,978 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rivuzu I can't speak for those who have given some stick to this season, but me personally, I'd have enjoyed it far more if it had the coherence and sharp writing from season one, while expanding the universe and characters, rather than making it all just BIGGER and a bit more silly and gory with more flat comedy.

I don't think anybody is looking for deeper meaning - there's far better TV out there if you're hungry for that sort of thing. It's always been a popcorn series, I just think the Duffers are running short on ideas.
  • Your-Mother 11 Jul 2019 14:32:33 2,935 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JuSt SwItCh YoUr BrAiN OfF aNd EnJoY gUyS
  • Rivuzu 11 Jul 2019 15:50:34 18,205 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 Yeah, fair enough criticism. I can see your point.

I think possibly the problem is they set the bar so high with the first season, that it's hard to live up to that every time. I'm enjoying this one more than the second season though honestly, as parts of that really made me want to just fall asleep.
  • jack5255 11 Jul 2019 19:05:21 826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rivuzu wait...you guys aren’t supposed to agree 😂

Episode 3 onwards is where it really starts. I can get the criticisms but im still enjoying it enough to see it through.

1 and a bit eps to go for me
  • theone1 11 Jul 2019 19:15:58 36 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished S3. Was okay.

There's so much shouting.

I hate walkie talkies, can't wait for them to invent mobiles :)

And the actors that play Mike and El are very poor (though maybe El is supposed to be played like that due to her character's upbringing)
  • Kronos 11 Jul 2019 19:49:01 752 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Personally I kinda liked the slow build up.

Felt like it was starting to get a bit formulaic and predictable after a while, the usual silence moments followed by a jump scareEl conveniently turned up just at the right moment to save the day at least 4 times maybe 5 , nosebleed, nosebleed,nosebleed or the kiddy getting the neck tingles practically every episode. The rat amoebas were pretty cool, didn't like the big monster as much, doing the usual cg monster thing of roaring straight into the camera.

The kids all being split up for most of the series diluted the friendship aspect from previous series. Apart from no teeth and cool/not cool guy most of the original quartet of friends didn't really have alot to contribute it seemed to me.

Also wish they had kept the tone darker in final episode , all the lighthearted banter and musical number completely destroyed the tension

Anyway overall still enjoyed it. Best episodes for me were the ones that spanned the hospital stuff(4 and 5?)
  • superdelphinus 11 Jul 2019 22:23:48 10,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I enjoyed it, but then I often enjoy Things You’re Not Supposed To Enjoy.

Balled like a bastard at the end, but anything about fathers and daughters always hits me in the emotional nuts.

Edited by superdelphinus at 22:24:25 11-07-2019
  • superdelphinus 11 Jul 2019 22:38:12 10,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:

The only character I found remotely intriguing was Hopper who was incredibly flawed. I don't remember him being quite so boorish in the past though.

You’re completely right about this. I watched the first couple of episodes from the first series and he’s a completely different character. He’s basically a cartoon now.
  • BTBAM 12 Jul 2019 05:48:20 1,980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Halfway through the third season, it's like the other seasons, watchable, relatively enjoyable, but about half of every episode is a sack of shit. The kids can't act, the script can veer from ok to atrocious, the filming and what not look great but the acting .. oh dear god. Still, it's enjoyable enough.
  • Tonka 12 Jul 2019 07:31:20 29,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished it last night ... thought about it a bit on the train ... absolutely loved it.

I've skimmed through this thread and I do get the criticism, it's not season 1. But it simply can't be. The flashbacks to season one surprised me by how young the children were. They're all teens now so the story had to change.

What we got is an homage to all the cheesy 80's action flicks. It's not The Gonies / Stand By Me / E.T. etc and as sad as that is I still enjoyed the hell out of what they did instead.

Are you guys really trying to find an excuse for the russians? They're doing bad things because they are russians and russians were the bad guys back then

And I'm not asking anyone to switch off their brains, if you see it for what it is Season 3 is a gloriously indulgent self referential homage to straight to VHS trash.

And they're not being Tarantino smart about it but open and welcoming where we in the audience get to take part of an over the top karaoke session.

Season one was absolutely amazing
    Season two was an OK sequel
    Season three gave me absolute confidence that the Duffer Brothers should have made this an anthology series all along.

Fantastic summer popcorn / nostalgia fodder.

My one niggle is that they went waaaay overboard with the soundtrack.

I also love how (apart from Winona) all the actors feel like their characters since I've never seen them do anything else. Top stuff.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jul 2019 12:20:33 11,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surprised to see hopper looking has normal self body wise, I assumed he would be hench as wouldn’t he have been doing hellboy at around the same time and there was a big thing about him getting super trim for the role? I thought he had a fat suit under....but no.

Really not important just surprised to see.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jul 2019 12:24:12 20,693 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The fact that he's a completely different character is irritating. Watched episode 3 last night and it's getting better. It really does feel badly made at times though.
  • Youthist 12 Jul 2019 13:21:34 13,856 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What other shows have gone from worldwide phenomenon to “fairly shit and just about bearable” after one season? Let’s be honest it isn’t very good now.
  • WrongShui 12 Jul 2019 17:07:25 6,782 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    What other shows have gone from worldwide phenomenon to “fairly shit and just about bearable” after one season? Let’s be honest it isn’t very good now.
    True Detective?

I enjoyed this season more than the 2, neither is as good as the first but I wouldn't call it shit.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.