Stranger Things Page 19

• ZuluHero 23 Jul 2019 07:47:22 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The only place I can put my TV is in the corner of the room next to the chimney breast.

I have thought about mounting it on the chimney breast, but it seems like loads of hassle, especially if you want to hide all the cables and stuff, and i'd still need some kind of unit next to it to house all the consoles and such.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2019 22:45:22
    Right, Iíve seen it now. Didnít like it much at all. It felt very predictable. I was waiting for the jump scares and I was waiting for whatever saved people in the nick of time. I was also sadly waiting for them to get totally derailed by some nonsensical shiny shite so that they failed to notice the baddy or one of their number suffering. Pissed me off no end that aspect did. One second terrified and running for their lives, the next arguing over soft drinks.

I thought Mikeía acting sucked and only his haircut was worth than it in the whole series...oh and his shorts. Eleven wasnít much better and only seemed able to scream, look into the distance and wipe her nose. Winona was bloody annoying and the crazy mom shtick has run its course with me. Shame as I used to like her years back.

I was a bit sick of the kids swearing and their hormones trying to take over too many scenes. I got that they are growing up but Mike needs a bar of soap in his mouth and to think outside his shorts.

Positives were Maya Hawke and the Russian nerd and the conspiracy theorist. I also enjoyed seeing the Dread Pirate Roberts again. Billy was pretty good as was his sister. Scoops)I canít remember his name) was also good. I got sick of Dustin and anyone who had a radio and shouted repeatedly into it.

All in all felt very predictable with annoying characters who I now want to get eaten. Iíll not be watching season 4 unless itís a different cast as the dynamic that made season 1 so good is gone. Iím not wanting yet another young adult drama and Iím not also after bigger and badder, Iím after a mystery and hints and thinking about it.

What happened to eleven at the end needed to as it was becoming boring.

Anyway, Iím surprised I ended up feeling like this at the end of season 3 as I really liked the first two. This one I was muttering ďas if youíd do thatĒ, ďare they that stupidĒ and ďany moment now they will...Ē much too much and getting wound up by it. Canít stand Mike.
  • TrueSpins 27 Jul 2019 22:55:32 40 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Main thing that annoys me is that characters still seem to have a hard time convincing others that "something strange is happening", despite the strange things having happened twice already! I mean, come on!
  • fontgeeksogood 27 Jul 2019 23:09:57 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I feel sorry for Barb. Even the fat guy from the Goonies got a slight reminisce but she got nothing
  • arty 27 Jul 2019 23:26:14 640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood Wow - I did not realise that was cary elwes.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Jul 2019 23:56:24 22,599 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was his head and face not a giveaway?
  • arty 28 Jul 2019 00:41:22 640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just didn't recognise him without the mask.
  • drhickman1983 28 Jul 2019 07:27:20 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I rather enjoyed season 3. Which judging by some reactions puts me at odds with others, but hey ho.

Much better than season 2, which I found a bit disjointed and very unsatisfying.

The story threads here came together in a much better way than 2. I liked the friendship between Max and Elle, and I liked the general sense of the end of childhood innocence. I also actually really liked Joyce in this, and the relationship between her and Hopper.

The whole Russian conspiracy and lab stretched my suspension of disbelief to breaking point though, and in general I preferred it when the world was quite small. When more elements are introduced, like the Elle's "sister" in season 2, or the Russians, it all starts to get a bit too silly (though thank fuck we didn't see any more her "sister" or the other psychics, what a tedious diversion that was).

I really rather liked it. Some story beats were predictable, but that's hardly anything new for the series.

I hope Hopper is actually dead, though. A returning-hero trope would be really quite boring and would mute the ending, which I did find more emotional than I expected.

Overall, I'd give season one a 10/10, two a 7/10, this is like an 8/10. And it's still the most enjoyable TV show I've watched for a very long time, and probably the best thing I've seen on Netflix.

And regarding TVs in the corner of the room - it's basically the only place they'll fit in some UK living rooms.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 07:31:15 28-07-2019
  • Deleted user 28 July 2019 07:27:28
    @arty I think they should have fit in an ďas you wishĒ somewhere in the script myself. Iím a big fan of The Princess Bride so recognised him almost straight away.

@font. That was something else my wife and I noted. The death of Barb was much more impactful (to us anyway, the cast canít seem to remember she existed) than anything in this series. There was too much in your face death and gore and none of the off screen subtlety of the first series.

Anyway, my view is not the majority one, so I guess most people will enjoy it.
  • quadfather 28 Jul 2019 11:09:37 35,628 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished it. Yeah, thought it was alright..
  • THFourteen 28 Jul 2019 11:24:19 53,174 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed it. My memory isnít good enough to remember anything Iíve watched more than 6 months ago so canít compare it.

Did feel a bit more action based and less thinky but meh I still enjoyed it.
  • drhickman1983 28 Jul 2019 11:41:09 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's never really been thinky.
  • BinaryBob101 28 Jul 2019 11:43:08 27,381 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It has been less cheesy though.
  • Technoishmatt 28 Jul 2019 11:49:11 3,832 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope Hopper is alive, and always assumed he was as otherwise the ending of 2 and 3 would both have had a father figure / Joyce companion dying while saving the rest.

I really enjoy the added cheese. But then I really enjoy Riverdale where the cheese and ridiculousness just keep increasing every season.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Jul 2019 11:57:07 17,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's user Cheese's take on all this?
  • OnlyJoeKing 28 Jul 2019 23:38:08 1,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got round to finishing it. The endless, wanky bollocks ruined it for me to a large extent.
  • drhickman1983 29 Jul 2019 05:49:35 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I literally have no idea what that criticism means :D
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Jul 2019 06:29:27 22,599 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is a huge amount of wanky bollocks in it to be fair.
  • Technoishmatt 29 Jul 2019 07:01:33 3,832 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think you were watching stranger dongs.
  • drhickman1983 29 Jul 2019 07:48:37 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But I really don't know what that means. Define wanky bollocks in the context of this show.

I'm not saying there isn't wanky bollocks, but as a critique it means nothing if you don't explain it. It's a catch all term that can be applied to all manner of things.

For example - "the chin stroking and self absorbtion of Westworld was a load of wanky bollocks." You might well disagree but at least it's a defined objection.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 07:50:47 29-07-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 29 Jul 2019 07:56:10 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is it cheesy, like Jaws
  • drhickman1983 29 Jul 2019 07:58:45 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheesy wanky bollocks I can understand
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Jul 2019 08:18:46 12,202 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I feel like Series 3 might have made more sense as a third movie in a franchise. Get the fun goofy stuff over in the first twenty or thirty minutes before the drama presses.

It does come together as the series goes though.

Robin was a great addition since the regular cast were either a bit stale or had had personality transplants.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Jul 2019 08:19:14 12,202 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I did not realise that Dread Pirate Roberts was in it
  • Salaman 29 Jul 2019 09:21:25 23,766 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Yeah me neither. My girlfriend pointed it out to me after the last episode finished. I hadn't recognised him.
  • Zerobob 29 Jul 2019 10:35:28 2,326 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished series 3 over the weekend, and I came away with largely the same feeling as the last two series - It's a fairly well characterised coming of age drama, but a poor sci fi horror. Frankly, I think I'd be happier if the show was simply a drama set in the 80s about general life in Hawkins.

The monsters seem generic and lifted from Dead Space - or any horror game/film with mutant antagonists - without much thought. Also, events seem extremely contrived and inorganic, in this latest series especially.

Focusing on series 3, the plot was frankly ridiculous, with some extremely silly, unnecessary, and ill-considered moments. A few of the child characters were also insufferable.

There were some moments in series 3 I really liked though, such as exploring Billy's happier but tragic past, which they should have focused on more. Also Hopper's supposed death (which seemed avoidable?) felt tragic as he was easily the most likeable character and earned an emotional sendoff. I also found the ending very poignant and relatable to my own childhood.

... which, to me, ultimately made the whole thing feel like a missed opportunity, because as great as certain scenes were, it really just made me wish they belonged to a much better overall concept.
  • drhickman1983 29 Jul 2019 10:51:56 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite liked the horror elements in this season, I thought the mind flayer made flesh was pretty cool and horrific. Not the most original maybe, but more interesting than the demodogs in 2.

I did find it quite tense. Sure, the way it creates tension was by using the every horror trope out there, but it worked for me.

On a side note, I loved the use of Philip Glass in episode 6(?).
  • challenge_hanukkah 29 Jul 2019 10:56:17 12,022 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Yeah me neither. My girlfriend pointed it out to me after the last episode finished. I hadn't recognised him.
    Well that really adjusts my netting! I had no idea either.
  • elstoof 29 Jul 2019 12:43:40 25,119 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks nothing like I remember him the last time I saw him, in Saw.

Was shook to learn that Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawkeís daughter
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jul 2019 13:38:54 28,163 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Looks nothing like I remember him the last time I saw him, in Saw.

Was shook to learn that Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawkeís daughter
    I didnít know that, so they both have the ginge in them....

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.