Stranger Things Page 20

• DakeyrasUK 29 Jul 2019 23:41:48 4,438 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished season 3 this evening and am thoroughly happy with it.

It had a lot of what made season 1 so great. The way the various threads tie together was much more akin to season 1 than season 2.
    .sure the secret Russian base is far fetched but if there can be an parallel dimension called the upside down then secretive construction work whilst building a mall is excusable too imo.

I loved the use of hdr with the fireworks in the mall too! Also Dustin's song had me in stitches.
  • ChiefGB 1 Aug 2019 13:20:54 12,720 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Looks nothing like I remember him the last time I saw him, in Saw.

Was shook to learn that Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke’s daughter
    I didn’t know that, so they both have the ginge in them....
    I thought she looks a lot like her mother tbh.
  • Lukree 1 Aug 2019 13:50:24 545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Liked the third season more than the second. Liked Robin as a character a lot. Also liked the mall as a set piece and the Russian base under it was a fun idea to some point, but in the end the base felt so unrealistic and all the scenes there were quite badly realised.

Hopper was too fucking angry and violent all the time, though. Why? Felt unnecessary.

I have a soft spot for anything related growing up - that was the best part of S3. Kids growing up, getting crushes towards each other, all that pain of letting your childhood behind.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2019 18:13:38 25,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Looks nothing like I remember him the last time I saw him, in Saw.

Was shook to learn that Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke’s daughter
    I didn’t know that, so they both have the ginge in them....
    I thought she looks a lot like her mother tbh.
    She does, just eye opening to realise Uma Thurman has an adult child now
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Aug 2019 18:19:45 26,365 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wasn't really a fan of her in this. She's in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too apparently. Here she is at one of the premiers.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9f45zio
  • convercide 1 Aug 2019 18:27:46 6,434 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Wasn't really a fan of her in this. She's in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too apparently. Here she is at one of the premiers.

Took me a while to realise she had a face.
  • drhickman1983 1 Aug 2019 18:27:46 7,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked her in this, thought she was one of the more likeable characters this season
  • cowell 1 Aug 2019 20:35:40 2,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:

Good Christ
  • sirtacos 2 Aug 2019 02:17:26 8,244 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I really liked her in this, thought she was one of the more likeable characters this season
    Her eerie resemblance to Uma Thurman is a definite bonus. She, Steve Harrington and Alexei ( peace be upon him ) were so likeable they could carry the series by themselves.

Edited by sirtacos at 04:14:34 02-08-2019
  • drhickman1983 2 Aug 2019 07:44:50 7,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Her eerie resemblance to Uma Thurman is a definite bonus. She, Steve Harrington and Alexei ( peace be upon him ) were so likeable they could carry the series by themselves.
    Absolutely. The kids were a bit insufferable this season. But, actually, in a well realised way, because hormonal kids *are* insufferable, so it felt like a realistic progression.

Arguably the kids have never been the most interesting or likeable characters, but it was moreso in this season.
  • kentmonkey 2 Aug 2019 08:34:27 23,738 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't enjoy this season. Didn't dislike it either, but it just didn't have anything that I loved so much about the first season.

The best way I can describe how it feels to me now is:

Season 1: show aimed at adults/older teenager demographic
    Season 2: show aimed at angsty teenagers to young adult
    Season 3: edgy kids show

I kind of get why they've gone down that route - that audience shift will buy a lot more merchandise than the season 1 crowd, but it no longer has anything that I loved about season 1.

The acting is genuinely awful (they could act being a kid, they can't act being teenagers), the suspense/mild scares have gone, it's got swearing and fart jokes and they've turned Hopper into a confused mess of a character.

Still alright TV as a show taken on its own merit, but not as a Stranger Things season 3. I doubt very much I'll stick around for season 4 now.
  • IronGiant 2 Aug 2019 09:19:42 6,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:

Clearly she feels her acting should be front and centre..
  • Bambot 2 Aug 2019 09:47:06 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Decks wrote:

She's got great tits, and she really wants you to look at them, which is nice.
  • IronGiant 2 Aug 2019 10:12:55 6,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just watched episode 6 and I'm liking the season more now.. Shame the music is still crap, the kids acting is mostly awful and the Russians are pants.

Still keen to see how it all ties up :)
  • drhickman1983 2 Aug 2019 10:16:45 7,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Just watched episode 6 and I'm liking the season more now.. Shame the music is still crap, the kids acting is mostly awful and the Russians are pants.

Still keen to see how it all ties up :)
    I can accept the kids acting and Russian criticism, but the music is largely ace. That Philip Glass needledrop was sublime.
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Aug 2019 15:55:42 10,463 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I finished episode 7 last night and cant say i am a fan of it devolving into resident evil.
  • Salaman 2 Aug 2019 16:14:27 23,869 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:

Bigger than expected.
  • cowell 6 Aug 2019 10:44:50 2,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished Season 3. Enjoyed it very much. While it doesn't have the newness anymore, I think that they've sustained a good standard. The season has been a fun, exciting romp throughout.

Think they've done a great job on character development and the new additions have been decent.

Was getting strong Star Wars vibes with the season finale - dressing up as soldiers, running up and down corridors and the final fight with Hopper and the Terminator looked like a visual call back to the closing scenes of Empire to me but maybe I am reaching a bit there.

More of this please, but only if they can make it good.
  • IronGiant 8 Aug 2019 01:33:58 6,130 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They definitely pulled it together in the last couple of episodes.. after not being that keen on this season I really enjoyed the ending. This show works so much better when shit is going down, even Mike was ok as he didn’t have much dialogue!

Hopper was great at the end after being just odd at the start of this season.
  • Zerobob 8 Aug 2019 10:23:35 2,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I finished episode 7 last night and cant say i am a fan of it devolving into resident evil.
    This is exactly how I feel about it. The sci-fi element is highly unimaginative and generic; The monsters feel very Dead Space or Resi Evil. I felt this about all 3 series.

I wish this element of the show was overhauled, because the characters and general atmosphere are good.
  • Technoishmatt 8 Aug 2019 17:32:13 4,481 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dear lord.
  • drhickman1983 8 Aug 2019 19:13:25 7,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The monsters have always been pretty resident evil or, more silent hillish.

I didn't really get a dead space vibe. If anything the mutant mass in the 3rd season riffed heavily on the blob.

I don't think it's purely an exercise in nostalgia (many of the finer Americanisms are lost on me), but pretty much everything, in all three seasons , are based on riffs we've seen before. But it's quite open about it and I've no problem with that.
  • Dougs 31 Aug 2019 22:31:25 95,416 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finished this last night, loved it. Yeah, it was a bit heavy on the 80s cheese but it was a huge amount of fun. I didn't really enjoy a lot of the 2nd series but whipped through this. Cracking stuff.

As for the telly debate, my TV is currently directly opposite one sofa in the centre of the wall but is awkward for the other sofa. When I redo the living room, I'll probably put a new telly on an extending and rotating bracket so it can come an angle but be pushed back flush against the wall when not in use. I want to stick in a fake chimney breast, external flue and wood burner in and my wife doesn't want it wall mounted.
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Sep 2019 17:19:52 8,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We've binged the last 2 seasons over the last few weeks and moved onto season 3 last night. The change in characters such as Michael and Hop is jarring. Especially Hop- who they've turned into a moron.

I've liked that the 80s was a backdrop, rather than something to lean heavily into but it's just proper REMEMBER THIS territory now. Wife said after a few minutes into Ep1 'ffs, it's getting a bit silly now'. Have to agree, sadly. Nasty Government enter the Upside down, undoing a whole season, the cute factor has worn off as they're teenagers... Does it get any better? Quite disappointing 2 episodes so far after an excellent few seasons.
  • elstoof 1 Sep 2019 18:29:53 25,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Season 3 picks up as it goes along, I enjoyed it more than 2. Hop becoming a dipshit is, I think, more down to the actor not really having the chops to play the part of concerned parent without being a dipshit
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Sep 2019 18:34:17 26,365 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I gave up around halfway, it was really irritating me.
  • RGeefe 1 Sep 2019 18:53:24 1,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dropped series 3 a few episodes in. I struggled with the first series, preferred the second but this was just a straight rehash. 80s nostalgia has thoroughly worn thin.
  • drhickman1983 1 Sep 2019 19:48:15 7,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can see why people didn't like the third, but I found the second tedious, easily my least favourite of the three.

The first is still the only must watch season
  • Dougs 2 Sep 2019 07:43:00 95,416 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tend to agree. The 2nd bored me so much, it took me over a year to get through it. Did S3 in a few weeks. No subtlety, but good dumb fun.
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2019 08:42:50 82,941 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it's not exactly subtle, but it was fun. They were definitely going for a Goonies vibe this year and, for better or worse, hit the mark.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.