Scotland Advice (Scenic / Remote / Peaceful)

First Previous
  • Psychotext 21 Jul 2016 00:21:40 65,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bad time of night to post, but I can always bump it tomorrow...

Can anyone suggest particularly nice (scenic / remote) areas of Scotland for a Christmas holiday? Looking at getting a cottage / lodge / whatever in the middle of no-where (ideally with no internet) and just spending a week or so with the missus maybe doing a bit of walking, or playing old computer games or something.

As long as there's a shop within an hour or so, that should be fine. ;)

Went to Skye a few years back and that was nice, so maybe something along those lines?

Cheers. :)
  • HarryB 21 Jul 2016 00:41:29 7,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stayed in a great lodge in Durness which is way way North. Very isolated and we saw the northern lights there thanks to no light pollution

I rented it through air bnb so I can send on the link if you pm me
    Cheers
  • Psychotext 21 Jul 2016 00:43:08 65,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Will have a look, cheers.
  • LittleSparra 21 Jul 2016 00:50:54 7,926 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Torridon. Bliss.
  • mrpon 21 Jul 2016 00:56:18 35,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    or something
    Hot
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 00:59:27
    Cant you just watch the wicker man and have done with it?

Isle of mull is alright, but full of scottish people, and on a grey day just looks like anywhere else.

Edited by GoingNowWhere at 00:59:57 21-07-2016
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jul 2016 06:50:38 27,192 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Skye is awesome in every way.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Jul 2016 07:06:03 5,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The north west coast is very remote and scenic. Possibly too remote. Mull is nice as is Arran. Arran is a lot smaller and easy to get around. Lots of hill walking and outdoors stuff to do.

Or you could just move northwards from the central belt and see different stuff. Do the West Highland Way, the Great Glen Way etc.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:06:49 21-07-2016
  • Fab4 21 Jul 2016 07:08:36 8,839 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want isolation, head to the islands.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Jul 2016 07:15:14 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good places mentioned here. Skye is great, gorgeous scenery for walking, Michelin star restaurant, cut off and perfect for chilling.

Mull is also ace, Tobermory is awesome although I guess it's the main town so might be a little busy. Incredible seafood though.
  • Dgzter 21 Jul 2016 08:25:01 2,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My parents were up in Dornoch recently for a short stay, taking my nieces with them. We used to holiday up that way when I was a kid and I always loved it; plenty of lovely (and lonely) cottages to rent out for a week or long weekend: http://www.visitdornoch.com/

Most of the tourist stuff will be very centered on Summer at the moment, obviously, but it is a beautiful place to go in the winter as well.
  • Nexus_6 21 Jul 2016 08:27:56 4,281 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mainland up near the summer isles is fantastic in summer and early autumn and I should imagine it still is in winter. There are loads of lodges up near Achiltibue which is north of Ullapool.
  • challenge_hanukkah 21 Jul 2016 08:30:40 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LittleSparra wrote:
    Torridon. Bliss.
    This. Loch Torridon is amazing.

My Nan was from Inveralligin.
  • craigy Staff 21 Jul 2016 08:43:37 9,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psychotext a few years ago (just before we had kids) we went to the north coast of Scotland for the week. Probably one of my favourite holidays evarr.

We rented a small cottage in Castletown, hired a 4x4, and went touring all around the north coast.

There are some really beautiful but often totally deserted places to hang out: Bettyhill, Dunnet Head (which is actually the most northerly point of the mainland, not John O'Groats), the Kyle of Tongue, the Whaligoe Steps.

We also got the ferry to Orkney from Thurso and drove all around it. Because we went in November there were basically no other tourists, so we had a private tour of Maeshowe, got to hang out at the Ring of Brodgar on our own. Saw seals frolicking on the shore up in Birsay. Fucking brilliant.
  • Dougs 21 Jul 2016 08:45:24 89,929 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Are you sure those places aren't from LotR or GoT?
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Jul 2016 08:47:19 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh yeah, Orkney is great. Some interesting history there (navel headquarters during war, Vikings, standing stones, tombs, etc) and it's super isolated if you want it to be.

Plus plenty of walks, lovely scenery, food, and all that.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 08:47:42 21-07-2016
  • rice_sandwich 21 Jul 2016 09:01:14 5,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wouldn't recommend Shetland. While it's very nice, albeit somewhat barren in terms of landscape, it's a long way to go for what can be more accessibly accessed by other places in Scotland. The main town, Lerwick, is pretty built up and you might as well be in any other mid sized town. It's also quite hard to travel around and visiting many of the remote places requires ferries and additional overnight stays.
  • TheSaint 21 Jul 2016 09:08:16 18,667 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If we've learned anything from GoT it's don't head north in winter.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Jul 2016 09:11:27 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend Shetland. While it's very nice, albeit somewhat barren in terms of landscape, it's a long way to go for what can be more accessibly accessed by other places in Scotland. The main town, Lerwick, is pretty built up and you might as well be in any other mid sized town. It's also quite hard to travel around and visiting many of the remote places requires ferries and additional overnight stays.
    That's exactly what I've heard too. My girlfriend went with her family for a wedding and didn't recommend it.
  • rice_sandwich 21 Jul 2016 09:30:54 5,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although to be fair I did see some really good wildlife stuff. Went out on a boat to a Gannet colony. That was really memorable. Don't forget to take a hat if you ever do that.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Jul 2016 09:32:59 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spray from the water or from the bird shit??

(Or from the rain, I'm guessing!)
  • rice_sandwich 21 Jul 2016 09:35:14 5,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All three!
  • -Amelia 21 Jul 2016 09:39:46 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the OP sounded like a great idea. So I searched for a three night break in November. HOLY SHIT BUCKET what a fucking rip off. For the money they want there are many countries I could visit for cheaper. Hell I could fly to Norway and get a wood lodge for cheaper. Fucking Scotland.
  • wuntyphyve 21 Jul 2016 09:54:45 12,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kichi off you pop to Norway then. Means more room for the rest of us.

As for the OP, considering i live in the highlands i don't really know of where to stay but if you want remote, anything north of Perth!

Worth looking along the moray coast at places like Cullin, Portsoy etc. Lots of lovely wee towns.

Argyll is nice too towards tarbert and beyond so long as you don't mind midgies and windy roads. My aunt has a cottage in the little village of skipness with a beautiful view of Arran. Very remote and quite lovely. Not sure what there is to rent around there.

Further north on the same coast you've got the likes of Gairloch and Applecross, the latter being particularly scenic.

Further south around Killiekrankie, aberfeldy, kinloch rannoch you've got more lovely little villages and cottages. Lots of walking here and you've got the heart of Scotland itself, schiehallion, to ascend if you fancy.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 09:59:47
    Went to a lovely place in the Scottish Borders
    If you're interested. Hot tub, sauna, underfloor heating, quite isolated. Got a meeting now, so can't look it up.
  • -Amelia 21 Jul 2016 10:37:10 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @wuntyphyve wow defensive. Doesn't change the fact Scottish cottages are a rip off.
  • wuntyphyve 21 Jul 2016 10:45:31 12,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kichi i wasn't being serious lighten up.
  • Vortex808 21 Jul 2016 10:51:07 13,275 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Borders? That's civilised countryside compared to properly up north.

Personally I always dig the north west, round Ullapool, Gairloch and Lochinver etc but not sure I'd like to be up there in winter. It's all pretty remote.

Perthshire is quite good too. The area is quite hilly with mountains or rolling hills depending on where you're located and well forested with civilisation (of sorts) nearby if you're struggling. Great for cycling, but maybe not at that time of year!

There's all the places around the Ccairngorms/Aviemore area for skiing if there's any decent snow when you're up and you'll certainly get an isolated place round those neck of the woods.
  • wuntyphyve 21 Jul 2016 11:02:40 12,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Although going by last year there will be no snow anyway. Just relentless drizzle.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.