Solo Asia trip over Christmas

First Previous
  • RyanDS 2 Aug 2016 13:10:19 12,814 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So chaps, I want to fuck off somewhere over the new year, and I need some recomendations. I will be travelling solo, with a backpack and want somewhere cheap, fun and preferably hot. Probably fly out Christmas day and return around the 10th January which makes flights slightly cheaper.

Currently debating between Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines. All are around 650-750 flights, but should be cheap as fuck when there.

Anyone have any strong feelings positive or negative about any of those at that time of year? Or any other places to throow into the mix that I should consider?
  • elstoof 2 Aug 2016 13:17:33 23,688 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How much sex tourism are you after?
  • TheSaint 2 Aug 2016 13:24:38 18,667 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A lot judging by that list shortlist.
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 13:25:28 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thailand is amazing, the people are friendly and they have mountains, beaches and islands that are very tourist friendly.
    Vietnam is cool but can get quite hectic and stressful, not quite as much fun but still interesting, maybe more interesting.
    Philippines is great but everyone will try to rip you off and it's a bit more expensive than the other places because it is a lot more westernised.
    Not been to Cambodia but if you are wanting to trek (and take drugs) then I think it is probably the best place, also the cheapest.

I would personally go for Thailand if you haven't been before, I visit there every few months and still love it and find new cool places all the time.
  • ram 2 Aug 2016 13:25:29 3,598 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    So chaps, I want to fuck somewhere over the new year, and I need some recomendations.

Currently mastedebating between Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines.

Fixed
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 13:26:00 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Philippines has the most beautiful girls
  • Deleted user 2 August 2016 13:28:28
    Again assuming it's sex tourism, I've always wondered if the boat prostitutes in Thailand thing was an urban legend - they put their head underwater as you're close to the Billy Mill and get close to asphyxiating so their foofoo / bum hole gets tighter
  • Deleted user 2 August 2016 13:29:32
    That's kinda Christmas and your birthday rolled into one if true
  • AceGrace 2 Aug 2016 13:31:05 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't go to Turkey. Someone I knew got his arse bag ripped by a man in a back alley!
  • AceGrace 2 Aug 2016 13:31:30 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It wasn't me before anyone chimes in!
  • nickthegun 2 Aug 2016 13:35:17 78,322 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    twelveways
    Classic ecos.....wait a minute.....
  • RyanDS 2 Aug 2016 13:37:30 12,814 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    How much sex tourism are you after?
    As much as possible, I was circumspectly asking which had the best ladyboys. And which has the best discounts if you know where to go.

As an aside though I would also to a lesser extent like to know about the weather at that time of year and partying. Drugs would be a nice bonus if easilly accessible.

Thailand is what what people have recomended me, with a few diehard Philippines fans swearing that it would be better. Cambodia and Vietnam I threw in as wildcards.

Edit: I am aware that drugs and Phillipines are a bad bad combo. Would stick to beer if there...

Edited by RyanDS at 13:38:34 02-08-2016
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Aug 2016 13:39:02 3,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @AceGrace

Euughw.

I wasn't quite sure what an 'arse bag' was, so I did a quick Google search. The results weren't something I'd ever wanted to see:

http://enjoystyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/137.jpg
  • mrpon 2 Aug 2016 13:40:10 35,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Remember three baht for a lolly and piggy back. Pretty reasonable for Thailand.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Aug 2016 13:40:48 3,548 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Should be rainy season around then meaning it won't be as dry as a summer trip. I haven't been to the Philipines or Vietnam (planned the latter but didn't make it) but of the other 2 I much preferred Cambodia to Thailand (although to be fair I only really saw the touristy areas of Thailand). Lots to see in Cambodia and the rainy season also allows you to do things like the floating villages on Tonle Sap. Depending on time it is worth visiting some of the lesser known temples as well as the usual Siem Reap Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom area. Beng Mealea was a cool temple in the SR area too. Food is cheap and people felt more genuine than I encountered in Thailand. Note that I am not interested in beaches really nor just hanging around with other foreign tourists/expats so depending what you like you may view things separately.

If you are going for a decent amount of time though you could probably do Thailand, Cambodia AND Vietnam pretty easily and cheaply using buses between countries. I did have a possible plan I was going to do to see some of the countries I missed in my years in Korea. My route was going to be starting in Cambodia and finishing off the temples and things there I had missed then bus to HCM City in Vietnam and take the coastal railway to Hanoi, stopping in Hue (there are other options too) for a day in the middle. Then bussing to Vientiane in Laos and visiting another more traditional city there for a day returning the same way. Then getting the train down to Thailand and heading uo to North Thailand to the Golden Triangle area and a teip across the eastern Myanmar land border to see some of the hill tribes before heading back and down to Bangkok to fly home. I had this pegged as a teip of less than a month at the time (took the tranSiberian route in the end instead)

But you can get around a fair bit pretty cheaply using buses and trains. www.seat61.com is a very useful site for planning trains, buses and ferries. You could also potentially go south from Thailand and see Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (I did that as a separate trip)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Aug 2016 13:42:01 3,548 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reading your latest post it looks like my suggestions are maybe NOT what you were looking for ;)
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 13:44:55 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    December is pretty dry in Thailand, most of Asia actually. Even if it does rain it rarely rains for more than an hour or so and it dries up pretty quickly.
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 13:46:34 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you are after cheap whores and easy to score drugs then I would go for Cambodia, Philippines are cracking down on both.
  • RyanDS 2 Aug 2016 13:47:08 12,814 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Reading your latest post it looks like my suggestions are maybe NOT what you were looking for ;)
    Actually your post is exactly what I was looking for and very much appreciated.

What I am genuinely looking for is a mixture of bars, beaches and temples.

Edited by RyanDS at 13:48:54 02-08-2016
  • Salaman 2 Aug 2016 13:48:05 23,674 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Careful now! They're not all girls!
  • neilka 2 Aug 2016 13:49:56 22,606 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If only we had a street food expert to give you some advice.
  • Salaman 2 Aug 2016 13:51:09 23,674 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    bus to HCM City in Vietnam and take the coastal railway to Hanoi, stopping in Hue (there are other options too) for a day in the middle.

That's a real place? Hue got to be kidding me!?
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Aug 2016 13:52:57 3,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah. Not a real place. He only said it to Hanoi you.
  • Salaman 2 Aug 2016 13:55:49 23,674 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Nah. Not a real place. He only said it to Hanoi you.
    Laos! All Laos I tell you
  • Deleted user 2 August 2016 13:57:37
    One of my friends went to live in Thailand and reckoned his maid cost more per hour than two whores so had a plan to teach a streetwalker how to iron and live like a king
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Aug 2016 14:02:24 3,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I once hired a crack whore as a cleaner when I lived in Streatham Hill. Poor, skanky, woman was trying to flag down punters on their way to work, at 8am on a wintery Monday morning.

I was trying to give her an alternative way out. She looked older than my mum, like she really needed to be considering a career change. It didn't end well.
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 14:07:32 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I met a hooker in China who really wanted to learn English in exchange for sex. She cooked and cleaned for me a couple of times too.
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Aug 2016 14:15:21 3,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a women offer to teach me Spanish in exchange for English lessons once in Guatemala. I went round to hers that evening, and she had cooked tea and put on a nice little black dress and everything. Her two young kids were no where to be seen.

I'd been there about five minutes when her husband burst in. He went mental. I certainly learnt some new Spanish vocabulary from that fellah, as he chased me out the house...
  • Rivuzu 2 Aug 2016 14:25:35 18,182 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had a woman offer to teach me Japanese in exchange for strands of my hair once in Tokyo, and everything went well until the ninja legions broke in and kidnapped her and took her to the nearby castle.
  • BinaryBob101 2 Aug 2016 14:37:29 26,949 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Railay is a bit expensive now, but you can still find deals:

Ko Chang is inexpensive in comparison, but not quite as spectacular:

• First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.