Solo Asia trip over Christmas Page 2

Next Last
  • Load_2.0 2 Aug 2016 14:43:58 29,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    Don't go to Turkey. Someone I knew got his arse bag ripped by a man in a back alley!
    This is standard. The Foreign Office has an official warning regarding an alarming rise in Turkish arse bag ripping.
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Aug 2016 14:44:25 3,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The true version of the Guatemala story is actually kind of sad. I don't have half the talent needed to tell it properly thouh.

She had obviously made an effort for me coming round: she had laid on food and was dressed smartly with her hair up. The kids were there, though. They had to be, really, as there only appeared to be two rooms in the dirt-floor shack where they lived.

The husband did come home and find us conversing awkwardly. But he didn't shout, he just kind of sat silently at the table and stared at me. She had such a look of desperation in her eyes. The kids were muddy and boisterous. I left as soon as I could and she asked me to come back tomrrow. I didn't go back.
  • elstoof 2 Aug 2016 14:46:32 23,688 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    I met a hooker in China who really wanted to learn English in exchange for sex. She cooked and cleaned for me a couple of times too.
    How was her oral?
  • elstoof 2 Aug 2016 14:48:45 23,688 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:

Ko Chang is inexpensive in comparison
    Ka Ching!!
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Aug 2016 16:12:31 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    If only we had a street food expert to give you some advice.
    O/
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Aug 2016 17:16:49 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vietnam is amazing but when you're going it's getting chilly in the North, e.g. Hanoi, Halong Bay.
    However, it's nice and warm in the likes of Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc. The country is beautiful and the food is amazing.

Thailand is also stunning, you're better sticking to the beaches of the Andaman Coast at that time of year though.

I loved both of them, Vietnam is a bit more "work" than Vietnam though if it's your first time in SE Asia.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2016 17:18:39
    Definitely avoid Vietnam and go to Vietnam instead then
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Aug 2016 17:19:17 27,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BTW book your accommodation in advance over Xmas/NY in advance, it becomes quite a pain in the the arse if you don't.
    Before/After, you're fine.
  • elstoof 2 Aug 2016 17:19:57 23,688 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    Don't go to Turkey. Someone I knew got his arse bag ripped by a man in a back alley!
    I believe they're called fanny packs in the USA
  • Deleted user 2 August 2016 17:21:53
    Ironically, two wrongs (bum bags aren't worn on your bum but at the front, and a fanny is a front bottom) finally made Americans right on that one
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 17:25:26 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought 'Bum bag' came from the American Bum meaning layabout as they are worn by tourists and people on the beach (beach bums) etc.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2016 17:28:09
    Shush you, I was putting that into an early 90s standup routine and going back in time to make it rich.

Actually I guess I don't need to worry if I'm going back in time
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Aug 2016 17:32:06 3,548 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Reading your latest post it looks like my suggestions are maybe NOT what you were looking for ;)
    Actually your post is exactly what I was looking for and very much appreciated.

What I am genuinely looking for is a mixture of bars, beaches and temples.
    If you want any extra details on particular temples etc (of the main group around Siem Reap Beng Mealea was one of my favourites) I can check exactly what I did in my two trips there. And seat61 is great for planning cheap travel over there if you want to do multiple countries.

For a few slightly off the beaten track Cambodian sites you can go to Anlong Veng and see Pol Pot's house and grave to see a bit more of that era of Cambodian history and the nearby Preah Vihear which is on the Thai border and manned by soldiers (with technical travel warnings but I thought it was worth the trip unless you get extremely unlucky). You will need to hire a car (or motorbike if brave) to get to those two areas though.
  • twelveways 2 Aug 2016 17:35:37 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just looked it up because I am actually that bored and it seems that you are right.

Which idiot thought that it would be a good idea to put a bag containing your valuables behind you where you can't see it?
  • Load_2.0 2 Aug 2016 18:16:50 29,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cut a hole in both the bag and your trousers for a movement whilst moving.

And keeps away sticky fingers.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.