Horror novels (boo) Page 2

• drhcnip 10 Aug 2016 23:29:02 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Von-Doll wrote:
    Ramsay Campbell is well worth a look.

A Grin of the Dark is one of my favourites. Creepy psychological 2am horror of the highest order.

Thomas Ligotti is another - I'd recommend My Work Is Not Yet Done.
    also teatro grottesco by ligotti...
  • OmniaVincitAmor 11 Aug 2016 10:06:14 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice one everyone. Definitely gonna do lovecraft and several others on that list. Ramsey Campbell sounds sweet. Is Clive Barker just pure gore all I know him from is hellraiser really.

Out of interest in anyone fancies it devil in silver is creepy as fuck. Only a quarter in but about a guy who is in a mental asylum and doesn't know why. And an old man with a bison's head is roaming the halls. Unsettling.

Edited by OmniaVincitAmor at 10:07:05 11-08-2016
  • drhcnip 11 Aug 2016 10:09:51 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nah, he's quite varied - there's always a fixation with the grotesque with him and human fluids etc but i'm in no way a gore fan and i count barker as one of my favourites...to steer away from gore, look at something like coldheart canyon, galilee, weaveworld etc, even the abarat series (more fantastical), you'll never escape the gore completely but there's far more to him than that...same as there's much more to king than carrie, the shining etc...

devil in silver sounds intriguing though...
  • senso-ji 11 Aug 2016 10:21:35 10,089 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let the Right One In is my personal favourite horror book. A little bit of social commentary is thrown in, so it's a bit on the serious side, but that just makes the horror elements even more absorbing.

Twelve by Jasper Kent and The Passage by Justin Cronin are also interesting reads.

Edited by senso-ji at 10:23:13 11-08-2016
  • OmniaVincitAmor 11 Aug 2016 10:26:29 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Let the Right One In is my personal favourite horror book. A little bit of social commentary is thrown in, so it's a bit on the serious side, but that just makes the horror elements even more obsorbing.

Twelve by Jasper Kent and The Passage by Justin Cronin are also interesting reads.
    Cheers will check all of those. My pal raves about let the right one in (movie).

Edit. Twelve is by Justin Cronin too right?

Edited by OmniaVincitAmor at 10:28:30 11-08-2016
  • drhcnip 11 Aug 2016 10:33:19 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mentioned a few other lindqvists on the last page - if you watch the film, make sure its the original one, not the us remake...;)
  • OmniaVincitAmor 11 Aug 2016 11:32:44 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    mentioned a few other lindqvists on the last page - if you watch the film, make sure its the original one, not the us remake...;)
    Course. Apparently all of his books are pretty special so will probably check out all of them.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 11 Aug 2016 13:07:36 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also for what it's worth the most unsettling book I've ever read is the road. So fucking bleak. And maybe shutter island. So I am a horror novel virgin.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 13 Aug 2016 21:18:22 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick update. Devil in silver is good. But not great, more of a journey into someone's madness and what being surrounded by madness makes you believe rather than a true horror story.

Starting the passage by Cronin now.
  • drhcnip 13 Aug 2016 21:29:31 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OmniaVincitAmor

i loved the road...and shutter island...much more into the psychological stuff than being a gorehound..

not read the cronin stuff myself, wifey has and i think she enjoyed it...
  • drhcnip 13 Aug 2016 21:30:02 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    definitely like the sound of that devil in silver, though
  • OmniaVincitAmor 13 Aug 2016 21:31:57 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @OmniaVincitAmor

i loved the road...and shutter island...much more into the psychological stuff than being a gorehound..

not read the cronin stuff myself, wifey has and i think she enjoyed it...
    Yeah gore doesn't really work for me. I didn't help that I read shutter island in a cabin in the middle of the woods with no electricity at night in a forest in Sweden. Wasn't the smartest thing I've done.
  • drhcnip 13 Aug 2016 21:34:23 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OmniaVincitAmor

:D

if you've been somewhere like that, you definitely need to read the ritual by adam nevill then...
  • OmniaVincitAmor 13 Aug 2016 21:37:36 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @OmniaVincitAmor

:D

if you've been somewhere like that, you definitely need to read the ritual by adam nevill then...
    That's after passage. I got that after the recommendation a few posts back.
  • drhcnip 13 Aug 2016 21:43:54 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    excellent...some of nevill's are better than others but he has some great ideas...the ritual is a good one, house of small shadows is also good by him...

Edited by drhcnip at 21:44:40 13-08-2016
  • Deleted user 13 August 2016 22:38:17
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Nice one everyone. Definitely gonna do lovecraft and several others on that list. Ramsey Campbell sounds sweet. Is Clive Barker just pure gore all I know him from is hellraiser really.

You really should read Books of Blood, they are pretty spectacular stories, and not just gory.

I just read another of his full length novels and I don't rate them much, but his shorter stuff - Cabal and The hellboundheart, otherwise hellraiser - are awesome too.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 13 Aug 2016 22:42:18 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @GoingNowWhere yeah bought the collection of stories by him too.
  • Tonka 14 Aug 2016 09:25:00 30,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lovecraft Country of absolutely brilliant and should be read by everyone
  • OmniaVincitAmor 14 Aug 2016 11:53:08 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Lovecraft Country of absolutely brilliant and should be read by everyone
    I think the title may be missing a word or two? Country of absolutely brilliant sounds a bit jovial for him :)

Which one did you mean cos I'm curious.
  • drhcnip 14 Aug 2016 12:16:25 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    think he means this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lovecraft-Country-Matt-Ruff/dp/0062292064
  • OmniaVincitAmor 14 Aug 2016 12:22:47 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    think he means this

Ooohhh cool. Looks ace.
  • creepiest-lizard 14 Aug 2016 12:44:27 1,428 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two horror novels that impressed me recently was the brilliantly gothic and atmospheric "The Loney" by Andrew Michael Hurley and in a completely different style (and everybody may already know this one) "the girl next door" by Jack Ketchum. Disturbing, evil and I don't think I'll ever forget it...
  • Tonka 14 Aug 2016 12:44:37 30,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    drhcnip wrote:
    think he means this

Ooohhh cool. Looks ace.
    Yes that's the one. Fantastic read. Written by someone who has played RPG s I think. Every chapter is like an awesome campaign.
  • creepiest-lizard 14 Aug 2016 12:46:11 1,428 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, for any Lovecraft fans, "the fisherman" by John Lanagan, that came out recently really reminded me of Lovecraft in that "we're just tiny specks of insignificance in a universe of madness and chaos" kind of way...
  • drhcnip 14 Aug 2016 14:22:11 6,462 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Two horror novels that impressed me recently was the brilliantly gothic and atmospheric "The Loney" by Andrew Michael Hurley and in a completely different style (and everybody may already know this one) "the girl next door" by Jack Ketchum. Disturbing, evil and I don't think I'll ever forget it...
    another vote here for the loney - very much enjoyed that...

also, currently reading the night clock by paul meloy which is shaping up very nicely...;)
  • cov 14 Aug 2016 17:25:27 2,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    not strictly horror but the Charlie parker series by John Connolley is excellent

actually screw that it is horror masquerading as crime :)
  • Deleted user 17 January 2018 13:40:05
    Just dug my Kindle out to start reading again. Clive Barker's Hellbound Heart is first up. I've got books of blood next.
  • Deleted user 1 June 2020 08:18:13
    After several decades of intending to get around to reading it one day (because I'm one of those weirdos who harbours a soft spot for the film version despite its flaws) I finally got around to reading "The Keep" by F Paul Wilson a few months back. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Basic gist of the set-up: German soldiers in WW2 sent to occupy a strategically positioned old uninhabited keep in a Romanian mountain pass are being picked off by what seems to be a supernatural entity - possibly even the root of vampire legends - but which might just be partisans seeking to exploit local legends to scare them into leaving.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.